Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Told off for being on leave

• 01-07-2021 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭slo007

Hello,

I was on approved leave and an activity which was planned for 2 days after I planned to return occurred early, whilst I was away. I answered my phone throughout the activity and it went well without a hitch.

Nevertheless, instead of getting the expected congratulations, my manager told me off for being on leave, having lack of ownership, being hard to reach, etc. and that I should have cancelled my leave, etc.

I disagreed with the arguments and he told me I was being defensive.

I suspect this will come up again at year-end.

Should I follow up now? How can I do so from a position that makes sense? Should it be in writing or verbal?

Can the business expect someone to drop everything (holidays) on the spot and without notice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

You're on approved leave.
    Clown brings meeting/event forward.
    It's his fault.

Take screenshot of above and give it to your boss,

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭topdecko

You mean you were on leave and the company rescheduled a work activity to take place when you were on leave which you took part in (on your leave). You returned to a manager berating you for being on leave.
    Would need to understand context here - how important was this activity? When was it rearranged etc. When did you book the leave and had you organised something for that week or were you sitting in your underpants at home etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Tell him to piss off,politely,of course. You are entitled to leave and entitled to not being disturbed on your days off. You could have been at a sick child's bedside for all he knew. Don't commit anything to paper or email as it will be used as a weapon against you. If they use this against you at a later date, tell them you will go legal if they interfere with your private life again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,528 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

topdecko wrote: »
    You mean you were on leave and the company rescheduled a work activity to take place when you were on leave which you took part in (on your leave). You returned to a manager berating you for being on leave.
    Would need to understand context here - how important was this activity? When was it rearranged etc. When did you book the leave and had you organised something for that week or were you sitting in your underpants at home etc

If sitting in his underpants at home is what he wants to do with his leave, that's his perogative, surely?

Who decided to move the event, and when and why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

In fairness the op doesn't need to answer any of those questions.
    The leave was APPROVED.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Holy sh1t, that boss sounds like a total ass hole.

And tells you you're defensive when you explain it from your side.

If you were essential to the piece of work the fault is entirely with whoever decided to reschedule it without knowing all the key people were available.

Was that the boss? Is he trying to shift blame for his fcuk up?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Surely this would fall under the Right to Disconnect and you were under zero obligation on approved leave to even know if the existence of stuff happening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,253 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

sbs2010 wrote: »
    Holy sh1t, that boss sounds like a total ass hole.

And tells you you're defensive when you explain it from your side.

If you were essential to the piece of work the fault is entirely with whoever decided to reschedule it without knowing all the key people were available.

Was that the boss? Is he trying to shift blame for his fcuk up?

Yeah it sounds like the boss has pressure coming down on him from above and he's looking for an easy target to blame.

I'd be having none of that! In our fast paced modern world, leave is bloody sacred. You should be able to switch off and be left alone for the duration.

I'd seriously be looking for another place to work if they were unable to do something as simple as respect when I'm on leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭slo007

Would need to understand context here - how important was this activity?

Expensive, not business critical.
    When was it rearranged etc.

Same day it took place, no notice
    When did you book the leave

2-3 months ago
    had you organised something for that week or were you sitting in your underpants at home etc

I was away due to personal commitments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

So even though you were on leave you took calls? Id be going to HR. Sounds like the boss is trying to dump this on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

how important was this activity? When was it rearranged etc. When did you book the leave and had you organised something for that week or were you sitting in your underpants at home etc

none of those are relevant whatsoever, if it were approved then thats that. The op was being incredibly helpful by dealing with the matter as best they could while on leave and was in no way at fault for any possible problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,561 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Document your recall of the meeting now on paper for your own use, sign and date it and then request a meeting with HR and your manager to seek clarification of the company policy to such issues so that you can be a team player.
    You can use the notes as an aide memoir during the meeting but don't part with it.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,104 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

slo007 wrote: »
    Same day it took place, no notice

so they rearranged it while you were already on leave?
    probably shouldn't have even answered your phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'd also be asking for that day of leave back as well.

Was it the manager rearranged it, or someone else (like a client, for example)?

I'd document a mail to the manager saying that you were out of office on annual leave, as agreed on <date in April>. Everyone had notice that you were unavailable during that time, yet after you had already left the office <someone> rearranged important meeting to happen during your absence.

You facilitated the change to the best of your ability under the circumstances, but would like that day's vacation time back, and would like his suggestions on how to avoid similar issues in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Hooked

Just stumbled in from the home page...

Sorry to sound harsh, but you took a work call while on approved annual leave? I'm more upset with you, than your boss, to be honest.

While I work VERY hard during my scheduled 9-5.30, Mon to Friday job... I've never entertained a call/email or otherwise, outside of those hours...

And you'd have a snowballs chance in hell of getting hold of me while on leave!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

Why did you answer calls on your day off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Sounds like your manager is being a power mad dick.
    I'd be talking to HR about this as in no way should you be punished for helping when on leave that was requested a few months beforehand.
    Oh in future dont answer work calls when on leave at all, tell them your phone broke, dog ate it or whatever, they have no right to be bothering you when on approved leave.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,163 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Hello,

I was on approved leave and an activity which was planned for 2 days after I planned to return occurred early, whilst I was away. I answered my phone throughout the activity and it went well without a hitch.

Nevertheless, instead of getting the expected congratulations, my manager told me off for being on leave, having lack of ownership, being hard to reach, etc. and that I should have cancelled my leave, etc.

I disagreed with the arguments and he told me I was being defensive.

I suspect this will come up again at year-end.

Should I follow up now? How can I do so from a position that makes sense? Should it be in writing or verbal?

Can the business expect someone to drop everything (holidays) on the spot and without notice?

getting all to normal now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Hooked

Supercell wrote: »
      Sounds like your manager is being a power mad dick.
      I'd be talking to HR about this as in no way should you be pushished for helping when on leave that was requested a few months beforehand.
      Oh in future dont answer work calls when on leave at all, tell them your phone broke, dog ate it or whatever, they have no right to be bothering you when on approved leave.

Better still - tell them that you saw the call... but you were on féckin' leave!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,163 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Telly wrote: »

in 2021 things need sorting asap and can't wait for key people to return

sad but true

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Depends on your job, how many projects you have and how high profile they are. You’re entitled to leave but they can get you to move it. You can negotiate losses on deposits and flights if it was already approved.

I worked with someone that arranged something then went on leave with no handover. Their manager had to agree a project handover to me which meant I got a portion of their annual bonus. They didn’t contact him at all but was told the situation would be reflected in his review when he returned. So it depends how things happen.

in 2021 things need sorting asap and can't wait for key people to return

sad but true

In 2021 if you go on leave and stay out of contact, the company will still be there when you get back. The reality is most people are not really that "key" at all. People shouldn't be working while on PTO and a manager who punishes employees for not working hard enough while on PTO is garbage. I would not work for someone like that under any circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,083 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Hello,

What level are you at?

If you're a VP or MD or a C-level exec, then your manager is right. And yes, they do own your soul.

If you're middle management, you need to learn to delegate so you don't get caught owning stuff. And you need to manage relationships better so that stuff isn't changed at the last minute on you.

If you're a project manager, then suck it up: owning stuff is what you do.

If you're a clerical officer, PA, admin assistant, General operative etc, then the other posters here are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭LapsypaCork

Document your recall of the meeting now on paper for your own use, sign and date it and then request a meeting with HR and your manager to seek clarification of the company policy to such issues so that you can be a team player.
      You can use the notes as an aide memoir during the meeting but don't part with it.

I agree that the above would the best route, also outline the pointers you made earlier such as, how long ago the leave was arranged but your under absolutely no obligation to state why you needed the leave.
      Maybe wait a day or 2, no longer, definitely request a sit down meeting and include a 3rd person, such as HR, under no circumstances have a one to one with your boss, he may twist the story. Indeed, it could come up in your annual review so best sort it out now. Also, if you let this incident go, your creating a precedent…

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭SunnySundays

Dear Manager,

Further to our conversation last week where you expressed disappointment with me, raised concerns I wasn't a team player etc. (list all of the complaints), I am seeking to understand the situation better so I can take the learnings from it.

As you know I booked my annual leave in April for a specific reason/requirement I had on Xth of June.

Despite the fact I was on annual leave, I'm sure you will agree that I facilitated several calls (document them all - time & duration) during the day to provide you with as much support as possible even though I was supposed to be on a day off. I also understand from other colleagues that the event was a resounding success and in no way negatively impacted by my leave.

Can you please advise as to what you think I should do differently going forward as I am extremely disappointed to receive negative feedback, especially considering I made myself available by phone on the day to support you in every possible way. I am keen to avoid similar situations in future.

Kind Regards,
      X

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Elwood_Blues

Dear Manager,

Further to our conversation last week where you expressed disappointment with me, raised concerns I wasn't a team player etc. (list all of the complaints), I am seeking to understand the situation better so I can take the learnings from it.

As you know I booked my annual leave in April for a specific reason/requirement I had on Xth of June.

Despite the fact I was on annual leave, I'm sure you will agree that I facilitated several calls (document them all - time & duration) during the day to provide you with as much support as possible even though I was supposed to be on a day off. I also understand from other colleagues that the event was a resounding success and in no way negatively impacted by my leave.

Can you please advise as to what you think I should do differently going forward as I am extremely disappointed to receive negative feedback, especially considering I made myself available by phone on the day to support you in every possible way. I am keen to avoid similar situations in future.

Kind Regards,
      X

You forgot, P.S. Kindly go Fu(k yourself

Potatoeman wrote: »
      Depends on your job, how many projects you have and how high profile they are. You’re entitled to leave but they can get you to move it. You can negotiate losses on deposits and flights if it was already approved.

I worked with someone that arranged something then went on leave with no handover. Their manager had to agree a project handover to me which meant I got a portion of their annual bonus. They didn’t contact him at all but was told the situation would be reflected in his review when he returned. So it depends how things happen.

That's also ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

I'd be asking for a full days pay and and the day's holiday back for being disturbed and having to take calls on one of the days my leave.

Manager is living in lala land if he thinks you have done anything wrong and needs to be taken down a peg.

You forgot, P.S. Kindly go Fu(k yourself

That's in white font underneath!!!

• Advertisement

What level are you at?

If you're a VP or MD or a C-level exec, then your manager is right. And yes, they do own your soul.

If you're middle management, you need to learn to delegate so you don't get caught owning stuff. And you need to manage relationships better so that stuff isn't changed at the last minute on you.

If you're a clerical officer, PA, admin assistant, General operative etc, then the other posters here are right.

Ignore all this ( as usual). Booked leave is booked leave "C-Level" or not. Project manager or not.

These people just need to have a replacement set up.

In this case its all moot anyway as the event was re-arranged in one day and the OP was actually on the call. Complaining in that situation is insane..

I've cancelled a week of leave voluntarily because we were swamped and would be leaving one colleague to cope on their own. Not for the company but for my colleagues sake.

Company didn't want to assign another person to be cross trained so they created the situation where I had to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭BrianD3

It is completely unacceptable behaviour from this boss. If it is the first time it or something equally bad has happened then I might write it off as someone losing their composure due to pressure. It would be an idea as suggested here to take a polite approach, explain and document the situation and ask for feedback and a constructive path forward. While also documenting it in your own Bullying and Harassment notebook that you keep at home.

If it happens again, you know you have a problem and will need to push back (most people don't like doing this) and let the employer know that this is unacceptable. If you don't let them know, as far as I'm aware it weakens any case you may take further down the line.

Mimon wrote: »
      I've cancelled a week of leave voluntarily because we were swamped and would be leaving one colleague to cope on their own. Not for the company but for my colleagues sake.

Company didn't want to assign another person to be cross trained so they created the situation where I had to do this.

While I would feel sorry for your colleague, you cancelling your leave just lets your employer off the hook for not cross training anyone.

In my experience it's best to let things fall flat on their face and when the employer complains just point to the numerous emails sent highlighting that the issue had been raised previously and they ignored all communication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

OP back up your phone call Log, so you have a record that the calls you received, were received while you were on approved leave.

If the leave approval was in any written form or email, back that up to your computer too

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I bet if it was your manager on leave and yous called them they'd be telling you to kindly piss off and deal with someone else in the company.

Then when they get back in the office they'd be walking around scoffing and talking crap to all the hierarchy about getting phone calls and how the team can't cope without them.

Surely the managers job here is to manage. If one or more of the team is away then they should be able to step up and jump in on any project to get things done without having to interrupt peoples personal time off.

But most likely like 99.9% of these so called managers they couldn't cross a street without holding somebody's hand. All show and no substance.

• Advertisement

Dear Manager,

(...)

This is great. Thank you. My only challenge is that it puts the onus on me to change, whereas I feel I did nothing wrong. The project was a success. Everyone reached me as necessary.

I'm also concerned it admits guilt which I think makes it easy for them to give that year-end low score I'm trying to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 marcuslally2

What level are you at?

Complete and utter drivel.

Posts like this give the Internet a bad name

BrianD3 wrote: »
      If it happens again, you know you have a problem and will need to push back (most people don't like doing this) and let the employer know that this is unacceptable. If you don't let them know, as far as I'm aware it weakens any case you may take further down the line.

This is the second time he said something awkward. I don't want to explain too much here to avoid giving away more information than needed or desired. I raised my concerns verbally with another boss last time, but I suspect it stopped there.

In prior jobs I never raised complaints and eventually left for other opportunities. I don't know if making formal complaints would have helped; but being quiet about misgivings didn't help either.

This time I feel some red lines are being crossed and am more willing to put things in writing. But I want to take the correct approach (I don't know what that is, which is why I'm here...). That is, I want to have some insight of the outcomes in the end. Perhaps preserving the year-end bonus might be enough?

Telly wrote: »

I have a unique skill set no one else in the company has, worldwide.

I was trying to help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭wench

Are you Liam Neeson?

• Advertisement

This is great. Thank you. My only challenge is that it puts the onus on me to change, whereas I feel I did nothing wrong. The project was a success. Everyone reached me as necessary.

I'm also concerned it admits guilt which I think makes it easy for them to give that year-end low score I'm trying to avoid.

Your boss is an incompetent, asshole with limited,if any, managerial skills, based on how he handled the situation.

My thinking behind the email is that it covers your ass if things escalate.

1. It sets out a record on the situation

2. It's written in a way that dismisses his claim that you are defensive (I know it's bull**** but it illustrates you as a person who wants to learn, wants to avoid it again etc. You can use this to demonstrate to HR or anyone else you need to in future if he scores you badly in your review or causes any future issues for you)

3. It gives him an opportunity to climb down from his nonsense rather than escalating the situation (he probably won't take it but again it demonstrates to HR you sought to professionally resolve things etc)

4. It also requires a response and if he's as stupid as he comes across, he may even hang himself if stupid enough to respond in writing if he includes any negativity at all.

He's on 2 strikes here, you explain the first incident you tried to resolve things with a chat, the second you felt like you needed to record it & sought to resolve it. There will be a 3rd incident and that's when you escalate it, knowing that you have a record to prove you sought to resolve the situation at every stage and he's the problem not you.

Cover your ass and portray yourself as the more professional in handling things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭wench

Has this dependence on you as the only one with this skill-set been flagged at any risk reviews?
      It should have been, and any failure to provide cover would reflect poorly on your manager had the project gone wrong in your absence.

This is something that should be addressed as a priority - as my boss keeps reminding me, you could get hit by a bus tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I was trying to help

Do you have a separate work mobile?

If yes, then it should be turned off when you are on annual leave.

If no, then ask your employer to provide one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I was trying to help

And still your manager allows a work event to be rescheduled without prior notice, when you were already on leave and even though you interrupted your leave to deal with matters over the phone yet your manager feels you are responsible for not being there ? I don't have to explain how rediculous their attitude is.

I would put the facts to your manager in an email, station that you applied for leave from Xth June to Yth June inclusive on whatever date in April, this was approved on whatever date. The event was scheduled to be on (Y+2)th June and your leave had been scheduled with this in mind. While you were already on leave the event was rescheduled to conflict with your leave and though you were unable to attend in person you did oblige by being available and responding by phone even though you were on leave.

Put the onus on you manager by putting it to them that you would have preferred to attend the event in person and ask how they suggest such scheduling conflicts could be avoided in future. (It's damn obvious - don't reschedule events without prior notice / agreement when you already know key people will not be available!)

If it was brought up in any negative way a performance review I would consider refusing to sign the review until it (and any negative effect on rating) was removed and accepted as a positive - being a true team player, willing to put yourself out and being willing to go the extra mile and put the company first. If they still hold it against you and are unwilling to budge I'd escalate it to HR.

If you have unique skills in the company you are in a position of strength.

Your manager can either make having a skilled team player on their team a plus for themselves or if they make an issue of what is their poor scheduling ability and lack of awareness they might end up shooting themselves in the foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭confusedeire

really you created the situation where you had to do this!

really you created the situation where you had to do this!

Weird comment. Typical boards turning something good some did into a negative.

Management were terrible/dysfunctional at the time and wouldn't have a contingency in place for increase in workload/people going on leave/people getting sick. I like the job so didn't want to leave, there were no jobs out there at the time in any case.

I'm close with my colleague and couldn't leave them in that situation but somehow it is my fault :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭topdecko

I think the OP needs to draw a line in the sand here. You were put in an invidious position due to the quick rearrangement of an important work related activity to a time when you were on leave - a leave that was approved and booked 3 months in advance. You interrupted your leave to deal with the situation and then get a bollicking from the manager.. it is pretty poor management tbh and should be called out.
      I would have a chat to said manager and explain your frustration. If that not working then an email thread on topic - not a complaint but rather a presentation of facts.
      Some pretty simplistic response here at times to this scenario - real life situations are usually more nuanced than "leave means leave" etc. Depending on your role, work environment and so forth...i have had to cancel leave at short notice in past to cover for people... thats life...sometimes you have to take it on the chin. Also not sure i could enjoy leave if i felt colleagues were getting shafted, but then maybe i am just a sucker

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Weird comment. Typical boards turning something good some did into a negative.

Management were terrible/dysfunctional at the time and wouldn't have a contingency in place for increase in workload/people going on leave/people getting sick. I like the job so didn't want to leave, there were no jobs out there at the time in any case.

I'm close with my colleague and couldn't leave them in that situation but somehow it is my fault :rolleyes:

Not your fault, but by bailing them out, your management learned nothing.

This is the problem. NEVER cancel your own annual leave for the company. Remember, you are just a number on a spreadsheet and they will can you without any thought if they have to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,083 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You must have missed the memo: you're supposed to hate your colleagues and want to spend as little time as possible with them.

According to boards posters anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Boss sounds like an emotive twit. Don't attend anymore calls when on leave, get away from this Manager he's toxic.

In the meantime I'd draft an email to him laying out the facts and summarising your confusion + disappointment with the way this matter was dealt with. Get something on record.

• Advertisement
    Advertisement