Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Youtubers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

I have to give Adrian serious credit for his youtube channel, I checked the amount of subscribers he has, and he is only a few thousand behind FarmerPhil at this stage!
    Building an audience is not an easy task. Where as Phil has the cattle, tillage, contracting and the odd vintage video, Adrian's farm doesn't have as much going on, but he still gets good content out there. When he bought the Ferguson 20, I thought it was a great idea for the channel, lots of people would be interested and it would give lots of comments and questions. It will be the same when he goes to buy the mower, baler and wrapper. Lots of interactions, which is exactly what drives the youtube algorithm.

My dad in his 60s loves Adrian's channel, after seeing the log splitter video, my dad bought one for himself. Not the exact model in the video, but something similar from a dealer beside us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I have to give Adrian serious credit for his youtube channel, I checked the amount of subscribers he has, and he is only a few thousand behind FarmerPhil at this stage!
    Building an audience is not an easy task. Where as Phil has the cattle, tillage, contracting and the odd vintage video, Adrian's farm doesn't have as much going on, but he still gets good content out there. When he bought the Ferguson 20, I thought it was a great idea for the channel, lots of people would be interested and it would give lots of comments and questions. It will be the same when he goes to buy the mower, baler and wrapper. Lots of interactions, which is exactly what drives the youtube algorithm.

My dad in his 60s loves Adrian's channel, after seeing the log splitter video, my dad bought one for himself. Not the exact model in the video, but something similar from a dealer beside us.

He even had a video one time where he put up a new outdoor light and I thought it was interesting and said I should put a double up aswel 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭bamayang

I would agree with this. I think lads are assessing him as a normal farm but he’s not a normal farm. He needs content every week, and equipment and upgrades are content, which are clicks, which lead to revenue. If he spreads manure, it prob takes an extra 2 hours to set up cameras and drones and everything else.

To give you an example, a lad I work with has a woodworking YouTube channel. He got into it cause he really likes making things and wanted to document it. He’s now up nearly to 50k subscribers which is great, but he said his heart is broke trying to come up with new videos. If your not getting 1-2 videos a week, you’ll fade away from the front page. He also said a 10 minute job in the workshop is an hour setting up cameras and editing.

I see him now getting loads of new tools just so he’ll have something to film and talk about. And he’s building yokes he’s prob not bothered about. But if your in it, buying all the cameras and editing software, your kind of tied to it. You have to keep it going.

I think Adrian is in a similar position, he prob sees the channel as potentially something lucrative in the future, but it takes 2-3 years of hard slogging to get to that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

bamayang wrote: »
    I think Adrian is in a similar position, he prob sees the channel as potentially something lucrative in the future, but it takes 2-3 years of hard slogging to get to that point.

How lucrative could it be for them? At most lads are getting demos or a few small freebies. Tom Pem is presenting some type of tractor driving show soon, don't see much scope for lads here to make a wage out of it other than youtube money/merch.

I see a guy doing a video that had 15m views and stated it made him 33k usd, by that calculation if someone's video hits 100k views they will make 222usd, not a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Is it because of covid these channels are getting popular, i am a contractor you get sick of lads when you are harvesting flying drones trying to get you to put a camera in the harvester or tractor for the sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

timple23 wrote: »
    How lucrative could it be for them? At most lads are getting demos or a few small freebies. Tom Pem is presenting some type of tractor driving show soon, don't see much scope for lads here to make a wage out of it other than youtube money/merch.

I see a guy doing a video that had 15m views and stated it made him 33k usd, by that calculation if someone's video hits 100k views they will make 222usd, not a lot of money.

I heard farmer Phil say on a podcast that he has to make the most of it as in a couple of years there will be someone else to take the spotlight from him. Smart that’s he’s aware of it anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

There is probably an over supply. Alot of farming tasks can be repetitive with alot of content being repeated.

The one I do watch is the armless farmer. What this fella can do is unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Odelay

mycro2013 wrote: »
    There is probably an over supply. Alot of farming tasks can be repetitive with alot of content being repeated.

The one I do watch is the armless farmer. What this fella can do is unbelievable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHIGor387P0

Amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭sob1467

Have been watching MC Milking It on YouTube this last while. Seems to be a young fella down South milking a few hundred cows. Seems to have a great setup but decent short videos and have learned a thing or two so far from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

He is Tipperary know the place improving things the cows are in the open but they are well sheltered not like the open farm kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭sk8board

timple23 wrote: »

The US market is many times larger than elsewhere for $$ per million views.
    Depending on what can be advertised on your videos, it can be $5-7k per million views for something very specific/expensive that fits your audience perfectly - but $2k per million views is more normal if you’ve a wide audience (farming would be a wide audience, or a car channel etc etc).
    Outside of the US, you’d do really well to make €1k/million views, as the marketing team spending budgets are smaller compared to the US consumer market - and any non-US YouTuber looking to live off the channel would be doing their own paid promotions within the vid, again usually for something relevant to the audience.

EDIT: actually, here’s a great example of a YouTube channel with well targeted content -
    A couple of Fendt Ideal combines were parked in the new Massey dealer here at Blakescross a few weeks ago and when I googled Ideal combine videos, the top results were Mike Mitchell videos using 7 or 8 Ideals in Canada, ahead even of Fendt’s own content.
    He does around 2-4m views a month according to socialblade

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭minerleague

Just watching tom pemberton and new sheds he's building. talking of a new silage pit but putting a huge roof over it. Why is this so common in UK and northern Ire does anyone know? Can understand it for self-feed setups but not many at that now i assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Just watching tom pemberton and new sheds he's building. talking of a new silage pit but putting a huge roof over it. Why is this so common in UK and northern Ire does anyone know? Can understand it for self-feed setups but not many at that now i assume?

Was very common for self feed, as you say.
    Also , on our place anyway, hay and straw was built on top of the silage, and hopefully was used at a slightly quicker rate than the silage was.
    As most people ended up with several covered silage pit, as one was emptied there were usually batches of calves or ewes to go into it.
    This was at the time when 60 foot by 30 was a big, big pit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Fred Daly wrote: »
    Is it because of covid these channels are getting popular, i am a contractor you get sick of lads when you are harvesting flying drones trying to get you to put a camera in the harvester or tractor for the sound.

There is a lad in Scotland who pares cow hoofs. He has gone up to 850k subscribers since Covid started, was in the hundreds in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭einn32

Danzy wrote: »
    There is a lad in Scotland who pares cow hoofs. He has gone up to 850k subscribers since Covid started, was in the hundreds in 2019.

Hoof GP? I see Farmer Phil has purchased a new machine!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,120 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

einn32 wrote: »

What's he got now? Did he purchase those mowers?

einn32 wrote: »

Aye

It was the norm down here as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,120 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Danzy wrote: »

There was a fella in the states who was doing hoof trimming too - Happy Hoof something. I think his channel is Alset now. He was getting lots grief about his technique.
    Hoof GP is insanely popular. I think at one time Hoof GP said something off about him gluing hoofs directly. He then seemed to get a lot of abuse and was talking then about quitting the channel and doing music. Looks like he has gone that way. I don't think he has much of an opinion of Hoof GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Why would any farmer allow permission to film the awful feet The Hoof GP gets to treat. Wouldnt you be ashamed to let an animal go that far before calling the vet or hoof man in. He's another one for silly thumbnails and baiting titles I don't watch anymore.

• Advertisement

Gillespy wrote: »
    Why would any farmer allow permission to film the awful feet The Hoof GP gets to treat. Wouldnt you be ashamed to let an animal go that far before calling the vet or hoof man in. He's another one for silly thumbnails and baiting titles I don't watch anymore.

The fellow who never uses bait titles, the silly thumbnails to catch attention are pure and appreciated by their 6 followers.

The places he goes to tend to be very large and I'd say cows are on concrete more than ones here.

When you have a 1000 cows you are well past caring about being ashamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭White Clover

Gillespy wrote: »

I haven't watched his channel with over a year. I wondered how good he was. A lot of what he was showing was fairly routine stuff. Anything tricky he used have bother curing. He seemed fixated on iodine and didn't bandage where and when he should have.
    He used to go through massive numbers of cows in a day. Bandaging and all that takes time and there's no way anyone would go through cows like he was if he had to put time into the chronic cases that he came across.
    Also, i thought a lot of his subscribers weren't farmers, with respect to them, most of them wouldn't know what they're looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭AgriLad

I see phil has bought himself a MF 185 square baler. Fair play to him, his hard work is paying off and is a very clever investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭leoch

How's it a clever investment

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭AgriLad

leoch wrote: »

Well i supose its not “very clever” i just meant in terms of depreciation it wont lose a whole lot, not many of them about.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭leoch

Yea clean looking baler alright agrilad looks well behind the 64

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

leoch wrote: »

Unless he takes an iron gate post into it and destroys it, it'll never depreciate.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

There's a fella ,Olly Blogs , doing daily vids i do find interesting. He is running his channel to service the payments on his new Bateman sprayer. He gave rough figures on subscribers/views and that it would be viable with I think 18k subscribers.

Mike Mitchell is on another level, talking about field size in sections (640 acres), a fendt ideal burning,82ft drills etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Whistlindiesel is a channel I found recently which is good for reviews/durability tests and modified vehicles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I came across this video from 2019 from Our Wyoming Life explaining in detail how youtube pays for video content. According to the video it's not as simple as putting up a video that gets thousands of views.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEfmkpGLAPY

Advertisement