Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Limerick - Mod Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

AnonZen wrote: »
    I'm all for debate, but it was apparent two weeks ago there was a fundamental disagreement and that hasn't changed. It's just swamping the thread at this stage.

Going by the success of the rollout, the decline in numbers in Limerick, the general adherence to the guidelines I'd imagine if there wasn't a discussion about the impact of the racecourse closing for a couple of days this thread would be very quiet :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

phog wrote: »
    The reason people over 50 and 60 are waiting for their 2nd dose is that there are certain intervals one must wait between 1st jab and 2nd jab.

The waiting period hasn't passed for the majority of the age group you claim are waiting on their 2nd jab.

They have reduced the intervals for the AZ vaccine from 12 weeks to 8 weeks (with some discussions happening on reducing it further). The impact of this reduction is we now have a lot more people getting close to or passed the 8 week window. These people are waiting on the second dose sooner that originally planned. This will mean, as long as supplies are there, that more capacity will be needed.

People need to get their second dose as soon a they can to give them as much protection against the Delta variant which is becoming more prevalent in the community by the day.

Wait, I asked you before would you have preferred the HSE booked a venue that would be open more often with less capacity or go with the Racecourse with a larger capacity but having it closed for a few days when the owners want it for their use?

I think the best venue would be one that maximises capacity without external factors not relating to supply of vaccine dictating when it can and can't open.

I don't know what the selection criteria were or what other venues were options but it seems to be a big compromise to have a vaccination centre close for several days for sporting events in a global pandemic.

Again this is just my opinion and others obviously disagree with it. I just want the best outcome for the people of Limerick and surrounding areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I've been to the racecourse 3 times now with other people (my own vaccine was Ennis) and the capacity of even the car park has to be considered as well. The Radisson would have been gridlock and way under capacity. I can't think of another venue nearest the main population area(city) that would have suited.

Ennis on the other hand. Saturday, I'd to ask where they even open when I arrived at 9:40am.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭phog

AlfaZen wrote: »
    I think the best venue would be one that maximises capacity without external factors not relating to supply of vaccine dictating when it can and can't open.

I don't know what the selection criteria were or what other venues were options but it seems to be a big compromise to have a vaccination centre close for several days for sporting events in a global pandemic.

Again this is just my opinion and others obviously disagree with it. I just want the best outcome for the people of Limerick and surrounding areas.

The question was fairly clear but like a good politician you opted for the cop out and looks to me you just want to be right in your own mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭phog

They have reduced the intervals for the AZ vaccine from 12 weeks to 8 weeks (with some discussions happening on reducing it further). The impact of this reduction is we now have a lot more people getting close to or passed the 8 week window. These people are waiting on the second dose sooner that originally planned. This will mean, as long as supplies are there, that more capacity will be needed.

People need to get their second dose as soon a they can to give them as much protection against the Delta variant which is becoming more prevalent in the community by the day.

I'm well aware they have reduced the interval but that reduced interval is the reason that we still have some over 60s waiting.

Most of my siblings and my inlaws are over 60, all got their first jab and only two are fully vaccinated, neither of them would have got their 2nd jab if they hadn't reduced the interval. The important thing to note here in relation to the use of the Racecourse is that none of us are waiting on the vaccine because the racecourse has closed or will close for a day or two.

Berty wrote: »
    I've been to the racecourse 3 times now with other people (my own vaccine was Ennis) and the capacity of even the car park has to be considered as well. The Radisson would have been gridlock and way under capacity. I can't think of another venue nearest the main population area(city) that would have suited.

Ennis on the other hand. Saturday, I'd to ask where they even open when I arrived at 9:40am.

One location that might have worked, is serviced by existing bus services and is closer to the main population is UL. This was used as a field hospital last year. It also has ample parking etc.

Ennis did look very quite on the couple of occasions I passed it last week.

I'm well aware they have reduced the interval but that reduced interval is the reason that we still have some over 60s waiting.

Most of my siblings and my inlaws are over 60, all got their first jab and only two are fully vaccinated, neither of them would have got their 2nd jab if they hadn't reduced the interval. The important thing to note here in relation to the use of the Racecourse is that none of us are waiting on the vaccine because the racecourse has closed or will close for a day or two.

It should not, in my opinion, be closed for any reason bar lack of vaccine supply.

Assuming all vaccination slots up to closing time on the 3rd have been filled, those that could receive the vaccine on the 4th will have to wait to the 5th. Yes people argue it is "only" a day but it shouldn't be any time missed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

One location that might have worked, is serviced by existing bus services and is closer to the main population is UL. This was used as a field hospital last year. It also has ample parking etc.

Have you tried getting near UL at peak times? 1 of the biggest bottlenecks in the country to get into or out of, no doubt if they picked that as a spot there'd be complaints. Also, educational facilities aren't down to be closed, in fact a lot of them didn't close at all, just because the academic year has finished doesn't mean the college isn't in use.

As the HSE has said, they used a points based decision making process where some areas were higher than others and decisions were made. There isn't any perfect venue for a vaccine centre and people will complain no matter where it's put.

It should not, in my opinion, be closed for any reason bar lack of vaccine supply.

Assuming all vaccination slots up to closing time on the 3rd have been filled, those that could receive the vaccine on the 4th will have to wait to the 5th. Yes people argue it is "only" a day but it shouldn't be any time missed.

The country is getting ~300k vaccines a week, between 40 centres that's ~7,500 per centre per week, the Racecourse has the ability to dispense ~3,500 vaccines a day, that means on a 6 day week they can dispense treble the average centres allocation.

GPs are continuing to dispense it, pharmacies are starting to do it, they are going to change the restrictions on giving out the AZ, more supply is going to become available, all these are going to improve the rollout, the racecourse closing for 1 day a month isn't going to hinder the rollout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,100 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

UL was mostly closed at the time which is not the case now. UL would have way more disruption than the racecourse. Seriously you don't have a clue if you think UL is a good option
    As we reopen society all venues will have some problems due to being hotels/sports venues/conference centres

" but it shouldn't be any time missed"

As has been pointed out to you over and over and over the centre closes for 12 hours every day but you don't have a problem with this but when it closes for an extra 12 hours every few weeks you freak out. It makes no sense

breezy1985 wrote: »

As has been pointed out to you over and over and over the centre closes for 12 hours every day but you don't have a problem with this but when it closes for an extra 12 hours every few weeks you freak out. It makes no sense

Don't forget that the new arena has a much larger capacity than the old 1, might as well ignore that fact as well while concentrating on the fact that it will be closed on AGREED dates and that the arena was deemed to be the best location in the mid-west using the same criteria as the rest of the country but sure ignore that because it'll close for a few days.

Clareman wrote: »
    Don't forget that the new arena has a much larger capacity than the old 1, might as well ignore that fact as well while concentrating on the fact that it will be closed on AGREED dates and that the arena was deemed to be the best location in the mid-west using the same criteria as the rest of the country but sure ignore that because it'll close for a few days.

Its getting very silly. I think some people are too used to the HSE and government screwing up and can't just accept that for once it has been spot on so now need to cling to any little perceived problem

Its getting very silly. I think some people are too used to the HSE and government screwing up and can't just accept that for once it has been spot on so now need to cling to any little perceived problem

People will complain about everything, you can't keep all the people happy all the time but what seems to happen now is that those that complain are the loudest voices and wears everyone else down.

Clareman wrote: »
    Have you tried getting near UL at peak times? 1 of the biggest bottlenecks in the country to get into or out of, no doubt if they picked that as a spot there'd be complaints. Also, educational facilities aren't down to be closed, in fact a lot of them didn't close at all, just because the academic year has finished doesn't mean the college isn't in use.

As the HSE has said, they used a points based decision making process where some areas were higher than others and decisions were made. There isn't any perfect venue for a vaccine centre and people will complain no matter where it's put.

Perhaps LIT or Mary I would have worked. Also just to note there are a half dozen 3rd level facilities being used around the country so I do think it would have been possible to use one of Limericks.

And you’re right no venue is perfect however Limericks one is the only one that closes for non vaccine related reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭johng906

Been out at the racecourse yesterday and today for myself and the Mrs (40), about an hour each time from parking to leaving. A bit of queueing, the staff are doing a great job to get through folks, very positive even though they are up the walls.

The practicalities of opening 24hrs (staffing, people’s ability to meet appointments at 4am etc) mean it would be very challenging.
    I’m not looking for something impractical to be implemented just that Limerick administers vaccines every day they are available to be administered.

And by they way in case anyone is in any doubt, I think the service been delivered by all the staff out there is first class. From the moment you get to the car park until your leaving after the waiting period. I was there myself for a late evening appointment and it was a great experience.

Perhaps LIT or Mary I would have worked. Also just to note there are a half dozen 3rd level facilities being used around the country so I do think it would have been possible to use one of Limericks.

And you’re right no venue is perfect however Limericks one is the only one that closes for non vaccine related reasons.

Where in LIT or Mary I. Have you even actually been in either place.

You keep saying it should be somewhere else but you can't think of a single place

Have you checked the other venues opening hours and check to see if they are open and if they will continue to stay open in August/September? Also, a lot of the colleges are green field sites outside of the main towns with loads of parking and other accessibility. They also mightn't have more suitable venues nearby like a racecourse, for example Galway is using their racecourse rather than GMIT just down the road or NUIG across town, Dublin is just using 1 college premises to administrate the vaccine.

I'm fairly confident that the Aviva vaccine center won't be available on match days and I know the center in Ennis was closed on a few occasions because of the lack of vaccines, other centers have had unforeseen issues which resulted in them closing.

• Advertisement

OK folks, I know I've been involved in the discussion as much as everyone else but I think the discussion around the racecourse closing for race days has been done to death and there is no need to continue it, all we are doing is going around in circles and it's almost like we're trolling each other. The center is where it is, if people want to discuss alternative locations feel free but using the reason of "the racecourse will close for a day" isn't a valid argument.

Where in LIT or Mary I. Have you even actually been in either place.

You keep saying it should be somewhere else but you can't think of a single place

I graduated from LIT have you been there?

The Aula Maxima, the canteen, the Street, there would be plenty of room there for the same amount of booths they have at the Racecourse.

I’ve given several locations, but I think firstly it shouldn’t close for Racing not it should be somewhere else.

I graduated from LIT have you been there?

The Aula Maxima, the canteen, the Street, there would be plenty of room there for the same amount of booths they have at the Racecourse.

I’ve given several locations, but I think firstly it shouldn’t close for Racing not it should be somewhere else.

Went there too and I don't see the main hall, canteen or car park being as good as the racecourse. Add to that getting in and out of that heavy traffic area and the fact you have to move again come August/September.

Edit: Sorry Clareman just saw the mod post. I'll shut up now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭teddyhead

How much money are venues given ? Are the figures even available? What is the nature of the tendering process? Do they come out of central HSE budgets or local authorities? After this is over , there should be financial accountability.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭teddyhead

Limerick also has no city centre ,vax/test centre. Wonder what the logic behind that is? Probably because Limerick city is largely run by people who dont live in the city.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

teddyhead wrote: »
    Limerick also has no city centre ,vax/test centre. Wonder what the logic behind that is? Probably because Limerick city is largely run by people who dont live in the city.
    You do know that the HSE test and vaccination centers have absolutely nothing to do with the council right? I mean there are plenty of sticks to beat the council with, but this most definitely isn't one of them.

teddyhead wrote: »
    How much money are venues given ? Are the figures even available? What is the nature of the tendering process? Do they come out of central HSE budgets or local authorities? After this is over , there should be financial accountability.

I'd recommend asking that in the main COVID forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Anybody aged 35 got their appointment yet & if so when, where & vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Just checking in after the panic and doom forecasted for Limerick a few weeks back.. Hope
    everyone is ok..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

SNNUS wrote: »
    Just checking in after the panic and doom forecasted for Limerick a few weeks back.. Hope
    everyone is ok..

All grand...:)
    There is currently a grand total of 1 person in UHL with Covid.
    And that person is not in ICU.

Advertisement