Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Limerick - Mod Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

breezy1985 wrote: »
    But instead of opening on Sunday they could just stay open for an extra hour every other day to make it up if there are apparently "boxes and boxes of vaccine" ready to go. You keep fixating on 1 day closed but the facility is closed about 15 hours every day and you don't mind that

They are already operating 12 hour days so maxed out that way. If the government decides to use J&J and the AZ on younger people as is been muted by the Taoiseach there will be no supply issues at all.

In regards to the fixating on the 1 day closed….
    Take two vaccination centres in July. Both can issue a maximum of 2,000 a day. There are no supply issues so all 2,000 can be issued everyday.
    One center is open every day in July so will administer 62,000.
    The other centre is open almost every day but has to close for 3 days. This centre will administer 56,000.

At the end of the month 6,000 people less will be vaccinated. So yes, in my opinion every day closed matters

• Registered Users Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

AlfaZen wrote: »
    They are already operating 12 hour days so maxed out that way. If the government decides to use J&J and the AZ on younger people as is been muted by the Taoiseach there will be no supply issues at all.

Take two vaccination centres in July. Both can issue a maximum of 2,000 a day. There are no supply issues so all 2,000 can be issued everyday.
    The other centre is open almost every day but has to close for 3 days. This centre will administer 56,000.

At the end of the month 6,000 people less will be vaccinated. So yes, in my opinion every day closed matters

How is 12 hours the max in a 24 hour day. The staff that were due to work Sunday could do a night shift.
    Your example is nonsense as centres don't all have the same capacity. For instance even with the closed days the racecourse is bigger than the Radisson

The closures were factored into the logistics from day 1 of the new centre so its just not the issue you think it is

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

You do realize that there is more bandwidth for giving out vaccines than there are actual vaccines don't you? They aren't at 100% capacity yet and they are giving out the vaccines that they get rather than filling the slots.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,070 ✭✭✭✭phog

I never said that Limerick are losing ground all I'm saying is if there are vaccines available in the Limerick centre they should be administered as soon as possible.

I guarantee you that if you go out to the Racecourse on Sunday the 4th of July there will be boxes and boxes of vaccine ready to be administered.

They are being put in arms as soon as they can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

phog wrote: »
    They are being put in arms as soon as they can be.

No one here will ever know if closing a vaccination centre, to facilitate horse racing, slowed down or delayed people getting vaccinated. Whether there are more available slots than vaccines - that's info only the HSE will have.

In terms of optics though, it's certainly not a good look, given the calls to speed up vaccination in the race to beat Delta, to have a centre closed for 3 days, for horse racing :eek:.

It'd have been gas if the vaccination centre had been set up in Delta out in Ballysimon, to combat Delta :D.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Kramer wrote: »
    No one here will ever know if closing a vaccination centre, to facilitate horse racing, slowed down or delayed people getting vaccinated. Whether there are more available slots than vaccines - that's info only the HSE will have.

In terms of optics though, it's certainly not a good look, given the calls to speed up vaccination in the race to beat Delta, to have a centre closed for 3 days, for horse racing :eek:.

It'd have been gas if the vaccination centre had been set up in Delta out in Ballysimon, to combat Delta :D.
    As I posted previously in the thread, closing vaccination centers for a few days is not unique to Limerick. The HSE South closed all its centers in Cork and Kerry for periods of two or three days at the end of May.

Closing down one day a week does not slow anything down. If there was an issue they'd have longer opening hours on the other 6 days.

As I posted previously in the thread, closing vaccination centers for a few days is not unique to Limerick. The HSE South closed all its centers in Cork and Kerry for periods of two or three days at the end of May.

Closing down one day a week does not slow anything down. If there was an issue they'd have longer opening hours on the other 6 days.

Cookiemunster - do you have data that shows it’s not slowing things down?
    Reported today - stockpiles of millions of AZ doses. I know at least a dozen people over 50 in Limerick waiting on the second AZ jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Reported today - stockpiles of millions of AZ doses. I know at least a dozen people over 50 in Limerick waiting on the second AZ jab.

Do you really though?

And how long have they been waiting? Is it at least 8 weeks since their first one?

No one under 50 is getting AZ at the moment, which explains the stockpile, which is definitely not millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

A lot of people aged 60-69 are still waiting for their second AZ.

But on a positive note, our GP vaccinated a lot of young people yesterday, my own adult offspring included. (Both of mine are higher risk with one of them working in hospitality so it was a relief all round).

• Advertisement

Do you really though?

Yes I do. Parents, friends parents and friends of my parents are waiting.

And how long have they been waiting? Is it at least 8 weeks since their first one?

No one under 50 is getting AZ at the moment, which explains the stockpile, which is definitely not millions.

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/stockpile-of-astrazeneca-jabs-to-soar-into-millions-as-rollout-stops-40581811.html

Give it a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

A lot of people aged 60-69 are still waiting for their second AZ dose.

But on a positive note, our GP vaccinated a good number of younger people yesterday, my own adult offspring included. My two are both in their 20s and higher risk, with one of them working in the hospitality industry. So there was relief all round.

There's no way there's a stockpile of any AZ vaccines, never mind millions seeing as we haven't even received a million. We were due to receive 813,000 AZ vaccines in Q2, but we haven't even gotten half of that.

And it's no surprise at all if they know over 50s waiting on their second AZ jab. My 69 year old mother only got hers in Thursday, so they've literally just started giving the second doses and the HSE have said it'll take until mid July to get through everyone in that category.

But hey when they just want to rant without any facts, what can you do?

You said that there is already a stockpile. You have just posted proof that there isn't and that there won't be until after all the over 50s have been double dosed.

Stockpiles of millions in Ireland ?
    That stockpile is in Italy so has nothing to do with Irelands or Limericks roll out

Stockpiles of millions in Ireland ?
    That stockpile is in Italy so has nothing to do with Irelands or Limericks roll out

Read the article from the Independent. We will have a stockpile of millions of AZ in the next few weeks.

Read the article from the Independent. We will have a stockpile of millions of AZ in the next few weeks.
    Again, you initially claimed that we already had a stockpile of millions while over 50s were still waiting for their second doses. Would you like to admit that you were wrong rather than moving the goalposts?

Again, you initially claimed that we already had a stockpile of millions while over 50s were still waiting for their second doses. Would you like to admit that you were wrong rather than moving the goalposts?

I linked to an article that clearly states we will have millions of excess doses of AZ in the coming weeks. There are still plenty of 50+ and 60+ waiting on their second dose. We are going to have plenty of AZ “in stock” in the coming few weeks when the Racecourse is closed.

I linked to an article that clearly states we will have millions of excess doses of AZ in the coming weeks. There are still plenty of 50+ and 60+ waiting on their second dose. We are going to have plenty of AZ “in stock” in the coming few weeks when the Racecourse is closed.
    The article you linked clearly states that we will only begin to stockpile AZ after those waiting get their second dose as there will then be nobody eligible to receive it.
    efforts are under way to give more than 450,000 people in the over-60s cohort their second AstraZeneca dose ahead of schedule.

AstraZeneca will then cease being used, but millions of doses will continue to arrive into the country.
    So no, there won't be plenty of stock lying around while the over 50s are waiting to get their second doses, whether the racecourse is open or not. Admit that you're wrong and move on.

• Advertisement

The article you linked clearly states that we will only begin to stockpile AZ after those waiting get their second dose as there will then be nobody eligible to receive it.

So no, there won't be plenty of stock lying around while the over 50s are waiting to get their second doses, whether the racecourse is open or not. Admit that you're wrong and move on.

They literally say they have supply to speed up the administration of AZ to the over 50s. The plan has changed they are going to administer it sooner as they have supply. So closed for 3 days in next few weeks will make a difference for Limerick people waiting on second dose. Every day counts.

They literally say they have supply to speed up the administration of AZ to the over 50s. The plan has changed they are going to administer it sooner as they have supply. So closed for 3 days in next few weeks will make a difference for Limerick people waiting on second dose. Every day counts.
    So moving the goal posts again. You said there was already a stockpile of millions of AZ. There isn't any stockpile. There won't be until the over 50s are done. Are you going to admit to that error?

Closing three days will, as you've been told numerous times, make no difference. If they had the extra supplies they'd open longer hours on the 6 days they are open.

Seriously you need to quit beating a dead horse.

Every day counts.

How so?

How so?

[quote=“ The Delta variant will accelerate “significantly” in Ireland, while “every day counts” when it comes to vaccination, chief executive of the HSE Paul Reid has said[/quote]

Every day counts except in Limerick where the 4th, 5th and 22nd of July don’t count. And there will be plenty of vaccines available to be administered.

Every day counts except in Limerick where the 4th, 5th and 22nd of July don’t count. And there will be plenty of vaccines available to be administered.

Centres are not geo-locked. Limerick does not lose out because this is not the Limerick centre just the centre in Limerick. If you are that worried about Limerick maybe you should write to Niall Collins about all the Clare people snaking in for vaccines

Centres are not geo-locked. Limerick does not lose out because this is not the Limerick centre just the centre in Limerick. If you are that worried about Limerick maybe you should write to Niall Collins about all the Clare people snaking in for vaccines

It’s still reduced capacity for the people of Limerick, Clare and north Tipperary for those days.
    I live in in Clare, I got my appointment for the Racecourse. Ennis is 10/15 minutes up the road from me. I don’t know why I was sent there when my next door neighbour was sent to Ennis the same day and said the Ennis centre was quite.

I am just going to ask 3 yes/no questions for July 4th, 10th and 22nd.

1. Are there people waiting to get a vaccine in Limerick on those days?
    2. Are there vaccines available to be administered on those days?
    3. Are there staff available to work on those days?

If the answer is yes to all 3 of the above questions the centre should be open in my opinion.

And the comments of we will catch up other days don’t really wash. If vaccines are available for it, the centre should then be open 12 hours a day 7 days a week.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

mod note: go out and enjoy the good weather lads.
    Less of the personal attacks and baiting

The reason people over 50 and 60 are waiting for their 2nd dose is that there are certain intervals one must wait between 1st jab and 2nd jab.

The waiting period hasn't passed for the majority of the age group you claim are waiting on their 2nd jab.

It’s still reduced capacity for the people of Limerick, Clare and north Tipperary for those days.
    I live in in Clare, I got my appointment for the Racecourse. Ennis is 10/15 minutes up the road from me. I don’t know why I was sent there when my next door neighbour was sent to Ennis the same day and said the Ennis centre was quite.

I am just going to ask 3 yes/no questions for July 4th, 10th and 22nd.

1. Are there people waiting to get a vaccine in Limerick on those days?
    2. Are there vaccines available to be administered on those days?
    3. Are there staff available to work on those days?

If the answer is yes to all 3 of the above questions the centre should be open in my opinion.

And the comments of we will catch up other days don’t really wash. If vaccines are available for it, the centre should then be open 12 hours a day 7 days a week.

Wait, I asked you before would you have preferred the HSE booked a venue that would be open more often with less capacity or go with the Racecourse with a larger capacity but having it closed for a few days when the owners want it for their use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭AnonZen

I'm all for debate, but it was apparent two weeks ago there was a fundamental disagreement and that hasn't changed. It's just swamping the thread at this stage.

Advertisement