Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Chauvin murder trial (George Floyd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Billy Mays wrote: »
    They could stop driving I suppose

or maybe they could simply collaborate with the cops when they get stopped instead of becoming confrontational

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Do you throw out terms like that so often that you cannot keep track of what you posted yesterday?

Ah my dear friend, the context is indeed key.
    The gesture is linked to BLM. Regardless of what anyone else says. It's intrinsically linked because of the actions of racist thugs over the past year or so.

That's not even remotely controversial. The kneeling gesture was hijacked by the disgusting BLM movement. I won't support anyone using that gesture as a protest. How is that disgusting?

And no, BLM and Catholicism aren't comparable.

As I stated previously, people campaigning for racial equality outside the banner of BLM, I wholeheartedly support. Much as I support Catholics looking for equal treatment once they don't do so under the IRA banner.

There's the difference.

You were wrong with your original assertion. You didnt understand the difference between absolute stats and per capita stats. Be smart enough not to continually remind others of your error.

stop the gaslighting, unfortunately for the majority of honest black people who really get a bad reputation unfairly, the crime stats are not in their favor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    or collaborate with the cops when they get stopped instead of becoming confrontational
    Or the cops could stop pulling people over for dwb

Same as in the north, they saw police discriminating against their community.

I'm sure you supported the RUC too, more interactions with the Catholic community and all that...

Diverging the question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

stop the gaslighting, unfortunately for the majority of honest black people who really get a bad reputation unfairly, the crime stats are not in their favor

Jesus, i've seen people doubling and tripling down but you take the biscuit. You're not worth responding to.

Or the cops could stop pulling people over for dwb

the cops can pull people whenever they see fit, as an honest citizen you have nothing to worry about
    ...until you decide to reach for your pocket or do something stupid

Jesus, i've seen people doubling and tripling down but you take the biscuit. You're not worth responding to.

your replies wont be missed

your replies wont be missed

and yours won't be seen.

and yours won't be seen.

like the one you just replied to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

bubblypop wrote: »
    Which means you believe that police are more likely to kill someone who is in that demographic.
    In this case black.
    Just for interacting with police.

You are being a bit disingenuous there because you know well the point the poster is making.

The BLM Movement and the Catholic community movement are very comparable, they even cover many of the same themes - including equality and policing.

There were elements a both BLM protests and Catholic community protests that got involved in violence, rioted, and attacked police yet you want to paint everyone that is associated with the BLM movement with the worst part of it while trying to carve out a tiny piece of the protesters in the north that were wrongdoers.

Funny enough one of those organisations was legally classified as a terrorist organisation for engaging in violence and attacking the police.

the cops can pull people whenever they see fit, as an honest citizen you have nothing to worry about
    As an honest citizen you shouldn't have to put up with the police regularly pulling you over due to being black

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Ah my dear friend, the context is indeed key.

That's not even remotely controversial. The kneeling gesture was hijacked by the disgusting BLM movement. I won't support anyone using that gesture as a protest. How is that disgusting?

So 15 - 26 million people that were involved in BLM movement protests are 'racist thugs' :rolleyes: Not only is your mindset disgusting, it is also narrowminded and pathetic.
    And no, BLM and Catholicism aren't comparable.

As I stated previously, people campaigning for racial equality outside the banner of BLM, I wholeheartedly support. Much as I support Catholics looking for equal treatment once they don't do so under the IRA banner.

There's the difference.

So the name on the banner is all that matters?

Catholic protesters throw rocks under IRA banner = thugs
    Catholic protesters throw rocks under no banner = great bunch of lads

You really can't see the problem there?

As an honest citizen you shouldn't have to put up with the police regularly pulling you over due to being black

show the evidence of a black person who's been pulled over regularly so that we can analyse the reason why

It isn't rocket science.

If you are stopped by the police, no matter what colour you are, do as you are told and there is very little chance of you being shot by the police.

Chris Rock gives some very good advice here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8

show the evidence of a black person who's been pulled over regularly so that we can analyse the reason why
    Do first hand accounts of black people I worked with for many years in the States count as evidence?

Do first hand accounts of black people I worked with for many years in the States count as evidence?

How many of those black people you worked with for many years in the States were shot by the police? I'd guess very few if any of them because they probably followed the police officer's instructions and ended up going home alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Link
    Scott revealed that he has been stopped seven times in the course of one year as an elected official. "Was I speeding sometimes? Sure. But the vast majority of the time I was pulled over for driving a new car in the wrong neighborhood or something else just as trivial."

So 15 - 26 million people that were involved in BLM movement protests are 'racist thugs' :rolleyes: Not only is your mindset disgusting, it is also narrowminded and pathetic.

So the name on the banner is all that matters?

Catholic protesters throw rocks under IRA banner = thugs
    Catholic protesters throw rocks under no banner = great bunch of lads

You really can't see the problem there?

Again, you are purposely misrepresenting what I said.

If you act like a thug, you are a thug, regardless of what banner you are under.

If you align yourself with a disreputable organisation, you are disreputable.

Simple as that.

It's very possible to attend an anti racism rally and not be a thug.

It's very possible to attend a pro Catholic protest and not be a thug.

If you go to one and go to one under the banner of ira or BLM, then you're a tit.

But you are insistent on framing it that I am calling everyone a thug. It's absolutely clear I am not. You've also called me narrow minded and pathetic.

I'm going to not engage with you anymore because you are purposely trying to inflame the conversation and I'm not willing to rise to your bait.

But to bookmark the point, racism is never acceptable, but it's absolutely ok to oppose people's methods of getting their point across. (That includes the right of people like you opposing the boo)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭Penn

You have been answered many times over already, not just by me.
    The stats are very clear as to who are more likely to be looking for trouble.
    go looking for trouble, and you will find it
    The old argument of blacks being killed by the cops more frequently than whites has been debunked countless times

You can keep spinning your wheels all you like. You posted to say that black people aren't killed more than white people. You posted a graph showing that more white people are killed each year by police than black people. When it was then pointed out to you that by proportion of population, black people are almost 2.5 times more likely to be killed by police, you've done nothing but deflect since.

Your argument and style of posting is completely dishonest. You cannot admit you were wrong.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    How many of those black people you worked with for many years in the States were shot by the police? I'd guess very few if any of them because they probably followed the police officer's instructions and ended up going home alive.
    I'm not taliknig about being shot. The poster Mic asked for evidence of people being pulled over because they is black. I know plenty of people who were regularly pulled over because they were driving a nice car while also being black

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

If you believe that people from these far right nationalist groups don't purposely infiltrate the police specifically to abuse their power and find excuses to mess with and in some cases kill black people then you are sadly very naive.

I'm not taliknig about being shot. The poster Mic asked for evidence of people being pulled over because they is black. I know plenty of people who were regularly pulled over because they were driving a nice car while also being black

did your friend get shot by the police?

did your friend get shot by the police?
    Did you just move the goalposts?

iamstop wrote: »
    If you believe that people from these far right nationalist groups don't purposely infiltrate the police specifically to abuse their power and find excuses to mess with and in some cases kill black people then you are sadly very naive.

LOL, I though i was the one into conspiracies here!

Did you just move the goalposts?

did you just avoid to answer the same question a second time?

did you just avoid to answer the same question a second time?
    The question is irrelevant to what I was talking about

iamstop wrote: »

they don't even need to be far right nationalists. America is an institutionally racist country. they didnt even let them sit at the front of public buses until just before I was born. that cultural memory doesn't disappear overnight.

• Advertisement

My point though is that if you behave yourself appropriately, those traffic stops and other police interactions won't end up with you at the receiving end of police violence in about 99.999% of occasions.

It's quite simple in my mind. If George Floyd had obeyed the police officers and gotten into the car peacefully, Floyd wouldn't have died at the knee of Chauvin that day.

If Rayshard Brooks had obeyed the police officers and allowed himself to be arrested, he wouldn't have died at the hands of the police that day.

If Jacob Blake had obeyed the police officers and allowed himself to be arrested, he wouldn't be in a wheelchair today.

If you obey the law or at the very least obey the police when you are stopped or arrested, then that gives them very little reason to get violent with you.

Advertisement