Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Wimbledon 2021 Monday, June 28 - Sunday, July 11 2021

• 18-06-2021 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭

The only slam that we skipped due to the pandemic, makes the wait even better ...

This is from 2015 but it suits ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

Big (and not so big) names missing:

Men: Nadal, Thiem, Raonic, Wawrinka, Coric, Goffin, Gasquet, Edmund (not going to include del Potro, as his injury is yet another long-term affair)

Women: Osaka (can't play, won't play), Brady, Yastremska (not eligible, despite just having somehow escaped a four-year doping ban). The top Chinese players basically have to stay at home to prepare for the Olympics, or something like that,

There are also fitness/injury concerns over the likes of Halep, Barty & Muguruza. There are 8 women in the draw courtesy of their protected ranking (after a long-term absence, usually due to injury), which is a very high number. All of those would have fitness and/or form concerns. There are just 2 men entered on a protected ranking.

EDIT: Wild cards of note:

Men: Sir Andy (of course), Carlos Alcaraz (new Spanish sensation)

Women: Liudmila Samsonova, who amazingly won Berlin last week as a qualifier.

The singles draw this morning should make things clearer. There are lots of potential banana skins (as in dangerous unseeded players), particularly amongst the women.

Halep out.

The draws have been made, but the qualifiers have not yet finished for the women, so they have yet to be placed in the draw.

Djokovic and Federer are on opposite sides of the men's draw. Djokovic could play Kevin Anderson in R2, but Anderson is nowhere near the player he once was. Tsitsipas (potential SF with Dkokovic) could play Vasek Pospisil in R2, another potential banana skin.

EDIT: Medvedev (#2 seed) could play Ciic in R3.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Cilic seems to be playing well on grass too.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Cilic seems to be playing well on grass too.
    Yep, he won his 3rd grass title only two weeks ago.

I forgot to say: Federer plays Mannarino in R1. Maarino won his only title on grass, and two of his (many) final defeats were also on grass. And he's in the semi-finals at Mallorca, playing Sam Querrey later today. But I doubt he will seriously trouble His Royal Swissness (as one of my work colleagues like to refer to Federer as).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

klr87 wrote: »
    Yep, he won his 3rd grass title only two weeks ago.

I forgot to say: Federer plays Mannarino in R1. Maarino won his only title on grass, and two of his (many) final defeats were also on grass. And he's in the semi-finals at Mallorca, playing Sam Querrey later today. But I doubt he will seriously trouble His Royal Swissness (as one of my work colleagues like to refer to Federer as).

Tough opener.

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    Tough opener.
    I checked, and Mannarino has a 0-6 record against The Fed, and equally bad against some of the other top players. I'd like for it to be competitive, as too often Federer just waltzes through the early rounds of slams without so much as breaking sweat (is that enough cliches?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Nasty first round draw for Medvedev, Struff is a very tricky opponent and he beat Medvedev just two weeks ago on the grass in Halle. Two of their other meetings also went the distance late into a deciding set. That is a definite potential banana skin.

I don't see Mannarino challenging Federer too much. Anderson a tricky 2nd round for Novak, not the player he was but a big server like that always tricky in the early rounds. I think its a tricky enough draw for Novak if he has to play Rublev in QF and Tsitsipas in SF, both of them have been very consistently good this year.

Murray has pulled a very good draw all things considered as he is a non seed. His highest rank opponent up to the 4th round would be Shapovalov.

Federer also has a nice draw as far as round 4 with the highest ranked player carreno busta and he is not a grass court player.

Tsitsipas hasn't played since the RG final and has a poor record on grass thus far

would be bucking the trend to go very deep although you'd think that his game ("Serve Plus One" orientated game) would suit the surface

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I think Djokovic is the overwhelming favourite here, very hard to see where a serious challenge to him will come from, none of the top players have a particularly good record on grass, age seems to finally have caught up with Federer, I don't really see him getting to the latter stages if he meets anyone decent early on.

The biggest threat to Djokovic is complacency (which I would rule out as the calendar and golden grand slam are his for the taking and unlikely to get this opportunity again), the first week is probably where Djokovic will be the most vulnerable and susceptible to a shock, I think once he gets into the second week he'll be almost impossible to stop.
    The women's is wide open absolutely anyone could win it. Serena will be all out to win it, at this stage she shouldn't win it, but, wouldn't rule her out either as literally anything could happen on the women's side.

Girly Gal wrote: »
    I think Djokovic is the overwhelming favourite here, very hard to see where a serious challenge to him will come from, none of the top players have a particularly good record on grass, age seems to finally have caught up with Federer, I don't really see him getting to the latter stages if he meets anyone decent early on.

The biggest threat to Djokovic is complacency (which I would rule out as the calendar and golden grand slam are his for the taking and unlikely to get this opportunity again), the first week is probably where Djokovic will be the most vulnerable and susceptible to a shock, I think once he gets into the second week he'll be almost impossible to stop.
    The women's is wide open absolutely anyone could win it. Serena will be all out to win it, at this stage she shouldn't win it, but, wouldn't rule her out either as literally anything could happen on the women's side.

If Del Potro was fit and here would he have a chance?

Maybe if he was facing 2017 Djokovic?

but probably not 2019 Djokovic right?

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »
    If Del Potro was fit and here would he have a chance?

Maybe if he was facing 2017 Djokovic?

but probably not 2019 Djokovic right?

What has that got to do with Wimbledon 2021? Going way off topic there, you can debate that on another thread or open another thread or better still with yourself

What has that got to do with Wimbledon 2021? Going way off topic there, you can debate that on another thread or open another thread or better still with yourself

It was a pretty obvious parody comment I would have thought on the "if's and buts" stuff - maybe a nod to keep it out of the discussion in this tournament and take it on the basis of the current players and versions of same that are here!

glasso wrote: »
    It was a pretty obvious parody comment I would have thought on the "if's and buts" stuff - maybe a nod to keep it out of the discussion in this tournament.

Just gave my opinion on what I think will happen at Wimbledon this year though that was the idea, it's you that brought up unrelated stuff, take your own advice, will hold off posting again until the action starts next week

Just gave my opinion on what I think will happen at Wimbledon this year though that was the idea, it's you that brought up unrelated stuff, take your own advice, will hold off posting again until the action starts next week

Not specifically aimed at you by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Augme

Medvedev has a very tough first round draw but if he makes it through that he has a good chance of making the final. He's done well in his last three slams and has definitely had a much better attitude. I thought his approach and play at Roland Garos showed a maturity to him that I haven't been used to. Clay is never going to be a surface that suits his style but he still put the work in to make a decent go of it. If he gains a bit of confidence in grass he has the tools to be very dangerous.

Ostapenko (Eastbourne) and Kerber (Bad Homburg) have just won their finals, both coming into form just at the right time for Wimbledon. Kerber is due to meet Serena Williams in R3.

All 5 players Ostapenko beat at Eastbourne are seeded at Wimbledon. Ostapenko is unseeded, yet has a better record at Wimbledon than 7 of the 8 top seeds, Serena Williams being the obvious exception.

Johanna Konta OUT of Wimbledon, as a close contact of a COVID-19 case (i.e., one of her team):

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1409238406689746945

Konta was seeded 27. However, as the order of play for tomorrow has been released, the draw will not be re-worked to include a 33rd seed. Instead, her place is taken by lucky loser Wang Yafan*, who will play Katerina Siniakova**.

*Lucky losers at Wimbledon are randomly selected from a pool of the higher-ranked players to lose in the last round of qualifying, rather than just going down the list. Wang is definitely one of the weaker players in that pool.

**Who, to be honest, would have been a very tricky opponent for Konta anyway.

Konta cannot now defend her 430 QF points from 2019, which is a big blow, on top of not being able to play her home slam. Worse still, it seems she herself is fully vaccinated, but the All-England Club (AELTC) said it won't make exceptions for a fully vaccinated close contact:

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1409243358489370626

I bet the AELTC is now regretting that decision.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Haven't even looked at the men's draw really but I assume it'll be relatively easy for Djokovic. What even is a hard draw for him really? We need a Rosol 2.0.

As for the women's, I was thinking of picking Serena to win, but she really has a horror draw. Could have to play Kerber and Bencic/Gauff before even making the QF's, with Barty and Azarenka looming later. No point making too many predictions really, anything can happen. Only thing I'll say is I think Kvitova will lose R1 to Stephens, one of Ostapenko or Kerber will make at least the SF's, and Hsieh-Swiatek will be a terrific match. Think Hsieh will be well up for that one and Swiatek will be the first 'major' scalp of the tournament. Unforunately, I think Murray will lose to Basilashvili also.

Djokovic - Berrettini final the most likely outcome imo

Potential "upsets" in the women's singles today:
    • Kvitova [10] vs. Stephens - much will depend on which version of each player turns up. More than that, both can go from world-beater to useless and back again, during the course of a match. No surprise that this is on Centre Court.
    • Swiatek [7] vs. Hsieh Su-wei - Swiatek has played and beaten Hsieh before, at last year's French. But Hsieh is a better player on grass (just ask Halep), and Swiatek nowhere near as good on grass as she is on clay.
    • Sabaleka [2] vs. Niculescu - Again, Sabalenka has played and beaten Niculescu before (on hard), so Niculescu's crazy game style shouldn't freak Sabalenka out ... she hopes.
    Of course, this being the women's game, the actual upsets are likely to be elsewhere: maybe Mertens [13] vs. Dart [WC], or Karolina Pliskova [8] vs. Zidansek.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,702 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

19yo Jack draper has just taken the first set against Novak Djokovic...

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭MillField

Djokovic will find a second gear..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Wow looks like Djokovic is on the way out, big upset on day 1 !!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I fully expect Djokovic to win comfortably from here.

Wow looks like Djokovic is on the way out, big upset on day 1 !!!
    To quote Monty Burns: "Not bloody likely". He's probably just a bit rusty.
    MillField wrote: »
    Djokovic will find a second gear..
    mzungu wrote: »
    I fully expect Djokovic to win comfortably from here.
    And that's what it looks like. After all, he was 2 sets down to both Musetti and Tsitsipas in the French Open. This looks easy-peasy by comparison.

An extra set on grass won't do him any harm, especially as the match is unlikely to go much beyond 2 hours.

Sue Barker has only mentioned Murray 564 times so far, so it's not so bad ....

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭MillField

klr87 wrote: »
    And that's what it looks like. After all, he was 2 sets down to both Musetti and Tsitsipas in the French Open. This looks easy-peasy by comparison.

I know it's probably unlikely, but you would have to wonder is it a tactic of Djokovic to extend the length of the match? His fitness/endurance is so strong you would imagine longer matches actually give him an advantage.

Djokovic - beautiful player

Just watching here , and seeing Goran in the Djokovic box, hard to believe it's 20 years since that amazing tournament

• Advertisement

Whats up with Djokovic's eye ?

Advertisement