Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Wimbledon 2021 Monday, June 28 - Sunday, July 11 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Augme

Federrer through after Mannarino drops out due to injury. Very lucky boy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Augme wrote: »
    Federrer through after Mannarino drops out due to injury. Very lucky boy.

To be fair he was probably gonna take it 6-2 anyway. Still could have gone either way in the 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,932 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Rob2D wrote: »
    To be fair he was probably gonna take it 6-2 anyway. Still could have gone either way in the 5th.

Even just avoiding the energy of a fifth set for him is a big help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,432 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Even just avoiding the energy of a fifth set for him is a big help.

Can't see Federer going much further than this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,615 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Serena Williams in big trouble here with an ankle injury.

No way she'll last the first set, never mind the match.....

Sasnovich bumping the ball right back to Serena who can't move is the dumbest thing I have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

Serena looks to be in all sorts of bother with an injury she sustained when she lost her footing ...

,... and she's retired.

And she's gone.

As much as I'm far from her biggest fan, that's an awful shame.

klr87 wrote: »
    Serena looks to be in all sorts of bother with an injury she sustained when she lost her footing ...

,... and she's retired.

When I seen what happened had a feeling that would be end of Serena's tournament. Still think Sasnovich would have given her a game.

• Advertisement

Sasnovich bumping the ball right back to Serena who can't move is the dumbest thing I have seen.
    Sasnovich can indeed be very dumb on the court at times, but she was working out where to hit it, and how much Serena could move. She won the first point after the MTO with a drop shot. Serena's next service game was always going to be the acid test though.

The slip didn't even look bad at all. A horrible way for anyone to go out.

The slip didn't even look bad at all. A horrible way for anyone to go out.
    That was my thought as well. She very likely came into the match far from fit and healthy. TBH, she looked overweight (no point in tip-toeing around this), and that may have aggravated matters still further.

Can anyone explain the rules when a call is challenged, and the point gets/ doesn't get replayed??

Cam Norrie had a serve called out, challenged the call, serve was in and he got the point.

Next game, Pouille has a serve called out, challenged the call, serve was in and the point was replayed.

:confused:

Andy Murray will play Oscar Otte in the next round. Otte finally won his match 13-12 in the fifth, which sounds exactly like the scenario the tie-break at 12-12 was designed for. Who knows how long that would have gone on for?

15th seed Alex De Minaur - winner at Eastbourne on Saturday - was beaten by Sebastian Korda, who is obviously a chip off the old block. This just two days after sister Nelly won the women's US PGA.

Benoit Paire is heading for a big fine (and maybe more) after showing lack of effort in a straight sets loss to Diego Schwartzman (someone who will never be accused of lack of effort). The fact that umpire Mohamed Lahyani called Paire out on it means he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/57658244

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Can anyone explain the rules when a call is challenged, and the point gets/ doesn't get replayed??

Cam Norrie had a serve called out, challenged the call, serve was in and he got the point.

Next game, Pouille has a serve called out, challenged the call, serve was in and the point was replayed.

Without seeing it, I'd have to assume first instance was a clear ace, or opponent had no chance of returning it, while in latter case, opponent could have played the return if it hadn't been called out. That's the distinction, i think.

Didn't see either point, but presumably Pouille was not affected by the call on Norrie's serve, while Norrie was deemed to have been affected by the call on Pouille's serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭sxt

That was my thought as well. She very likely came into the match far from fit and healthy. TBH, she looked overweight (no point in tip-toeing around this), and that may have aggravated matters still further.

Serena weights 15 stone. Remarkable that That's only about 7 ilbs less than a prime heavyweight Mike Tyson. She probably was even heavier than that this week

I can't see how she can get anywhere near a quarters or a semis in a major again. No top 20 player has any fear of her anymore. She can't intimidate anyone with her screaming anymore

Without seeing it, I'd have to assume first instance was a clear ace, or opponent had no chance of returning it, while in latter case, opponent could have played the return if it hadn't been called out. That's the distinction, i think.
    Didn't see either point, but presumably Pouille was not affected by the call on Norrie's serve, while Norrie was deemed to have been affected by the call on Pouille's serve.

I've just re-watched both points.

Both points were similar - serve, return was hit, call came (the call on Pouille's serve was a split second later than the call on Norrie's serve), server challenged the call.

If anything, Pouille was more disadvantaged as he was lining up to play the return of his serve when the late(r) call came - yet Norrie got the point, and Pouille had to replay his.

I know without having seen the points it's very hard to describe properly. I've always been a bit unclear about when points are replayed or awarded, but I'm genuinely perplexed by two such similar points being differently treated!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

That's a real shame to see Serena retire due to injury.

A very slow start for Fed. One would hope he can improve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,702 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

mzungu wrote: »
    That's a real to see Serena retire due to injury.

I can't see him going to deep based on that performance, I think age has finally caught up with him a bit.

sxt wrote: »
    Serena weights 15 stone. Remarkable that That's only about 7 ilbs less than a prime heavyweight Mike Tyson. She probably was even heavier than that this week

I can't see how she can get anywhere near a quarters or a semis in a major again. No top 20 player has any fear of her anymore. She can't intimidate anyone with her screaming anymore
    Serena reached the semi-finals of the last two hard court slams, so clearly she still has what it takes to go a long way - if things go well for her. That's an increasingly big "if" though. More and more players (not just top 20) don't fear her. In the last 12 months, she's lost completed matches to Shelby Rogers, Maria Sakkari, Victoria Azarenka, Naomi Osaka, Nadia Podoroska, Katerina Siniakova and Elena Rybakina. Quite a diverse bunch in terms of rankings and careers. And she's played a very limited schedule.

Her body is also increasingly prone to breakdown (no need to list all her retirements and walkovers conceded over the last couple of years). Also, the way she reacted after her losses in the Australian and French this year suggests she might retire after the US Open, regardless of how she gets on there.

One other thing: Serena was defending a lot of points from her runner-up performance in the 2019 Wimbledon, there being no event last year. Having lost 1st round, She's now dropped to 16th in the live rankings, and will likely fall further by the time of the US Open. This should make for a harder path through the draw, in theory anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

mzungu wrote: »
    That's a real to see Serena retire due to injury.

Not sorry to see Serena out, unfortunate injury, but, at least it saves us all from her drama Queen antics when things start going against her.
    Federer is playing Gasquet next, so not exactly an easy match for him considering his form. Gasquet a bit like a lot of the French players very talented, but, never really reached his potential, has a very poor record against Federer, but, will probably not get a better opportunity to beat him, wouldn't be at all surprised to see Gasquet win that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

I've always been a bit unclear about when points are replayed or awarded, but I'm genuinely perplexed by two such similar points being differently treated!

Depends if the guy has a play on it or not when the call happens. If what you say happened and both returns were RETURNED properly at the moment the call came then they should both be replays AFAIK.
    Alex De Minaur - winner at Eastbourne on Saturday - was beaten by Sebastian Korda, who is obviously a chip off the old block.

Been watching him and he's the most promising of the youngsters. And I include the next gen in that. Hopefully he can restore some honour to the family name.

The kyrios vs Humbert match seems to be the highlight of the first round. Was always going to be a good one, I don't k ow why it wasn't shown placed on one of the main courts.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Musetti gone early to Hurcasz. Its a pity, I thought he might have the game for grass

Re Murray's match against Otto tomorrow: I'd forgotten that Otto was 2 sets up against Zverev in the French Open only a few weeks ago!

By my count, 21 of the 64 matches in the men's first round have yet to start, 6 more are in progress. It's about the same for the women, but there's no problem playing best of 3 several days in a row. The forecast is apparently good for the next few days, and then bad again for the weekend. If they need to use the middle Sunday to catch up, would they even be able to?

whiterebel wrote: »
    Musetti gone early to Hurcasz. Its a pity, I thought he might have the game for grass

Pretty hard when he's never played any grass tournaments ever before.

Andy Murray will play Oscar Otte in the next round. Otte finally won his match 13-12 in the fifth, which sounds exactly like the scenario the tie-break at 12-12 was designed for. Who knows how long that would have gone on for?

15th seed Alex De Minaur - winner at Eastbourne on Saturday - was beaten by Sebastian Korda, who is obviously a chip off the old block. This just two days after sister Nelly won the women's US PGA.

Benoit Paire is heading for a big fine (and maybe more) after showing lack of effort in a straight sets loss to Diego Schwartzman (someone who will never be accused of lack of effort). The fact that umpire Mohamed Lahyani called Paire out on it means he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/57658244

What is the story with Paire? This is not the first time he has done this. If he doesn't want to be there then just withdraw

• Advertisement

Floppybits wrote: »
    What is the story with Paire? This is not the first time he has done this. If he doesn't want to be there then just withdraw

certainly he doesn't seem to be too focused on tennis at the moment with particular gripes about the bubble but at least he put up resistance in the first 2 sets (6-3, 6-4) and not sure how it's worse as a spectacle than the multiple 49 minutes (Sakkari vs Rus) to 1 hour couple minute matches seen on the ladies side in the first round.

Advertisement