Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Promotions Thread *Please read post 1* (*Mod Warning Post #3947)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

beakerjoe wrote: »
    2005 there was very little else a fan could do apart from order off ebay.

In 2000 I got a Y2J shirt in Virgin Megastore for 15 pounds (say 20 euro).

In 2005 I remember looking in WrestleMania and being offered an AJ Styles shirt for 35 euros. It wasnt worth it even if it was the only shop avaialble at the time selling a selection of WWE shirts.

I went home, grabbed an few images off the web, burned them on a disc and went to teh tee shirt printing shop below. Got 2 shirts that looked legit from the tee shirt shop from 30 bucks.

Yeah. Good point. What alternative was there.
    I was talking with my friend earlier about the wrestling shop and he reminded me of what type of bloke Niall was. So let's just say I won't be shedding a tear :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Yeah. Good point. What alternative was there.
    I was talking with my friend earlier about the wrestling shop and he reminded me of what type of bloke Niall was. So let's just say I won't be shedding a tear :pac:

What kind of bloke was he? Never knew him personally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭showpony1

2005 there was very little else a fan could do apart from order off ebay.

In 2000 I got a Y2J shirt in Virgin Megastore for 15 pounds (say 20 euro).

In 2005 I remember looking in WrestleMania and being offered an AJ Styles shirt for 35 euros. It wasnt worth it even if it was the only shop avaialble at the time selling a selection of WWE shirts.

I went home, grabbed an few images off the web, burned them on a disc and went to teh tee shirt printing shop below. Got 2 shirts that looked legit from the tee shirt shop from 30 bucks.

I'd rather have a real t-shirt for €35 than go out in public with two of your JPEGs printed on t-shirts for €30.

showpony1 wrote: »
    I'd rather have a real t-shirt for €35 than go out in public with two of your JPEGs printed on t-shirts for €30.

It looked identical and it was half the inflated price of Wrestle Mania. The tees I used were a better fit than WWEs shirts too.

So I was better off.

showpony1 wrote: »

I assume you are too young to remember the late 90s :p
    You'd walk down the road and see Austin 3:16 t-shirts on people and the vast vast vast majority of them were printed in t-shirt shops.

I knew of a guy who worked in one in the late 90s. Said they were making a fortune off WWF wrestling t-shirts. But as soon as WWF found out and put a stop to them the arse fell out of the business. According to him the shop was never the same.

See the idea of printing jpegs as you say sounds mental now. In fact you'd have to go out of your way now to find a place to print, search Google for an image etc. But back in 2005 etc it was an option for non-wwe t-shirts. Wrestling shop just asked for too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭bobby_says_hi

Hey guys, not sure if this is the right place to post this but I used to post on here back in the day, and I was also a wrestler on the Irish scene for about four years. It'll soon be my ten year anniversary of starting my training, so I thought it'd be fun to do a reaction video with one of my opponents on a couple of our old matches. He's still in the industry, competing under the name CT Flexor now - back then he was in a team called Rough Stuff as Bull Reilly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HZLr6dj6OA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭ThePott

Nathan Martin has decided to step away from wrestling.
    Going forward, More Than Hype will be a tag team of LJ Cleary and Darren Kearney.

Big loss for the scene, they're all tremendous talents but they were excellent as a trio.
    Best of luck to him with whatever he decides to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I saw that and also saw Butch today in town.

Made me think of OTT. Can’t even imagine how hard the last 18 months must have been for the scene. I’m intrigued to see how the return plays out.

I’d cynically say that OTT had peaked well before the pandemic but when I think about the last cancelled show, things were still hot as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭montyrebel

hasnt butch stepped away too now

Yeah, he's stepped down to focus on his band, Crown the King. It'll be a very different scene when things open up again.

• Advertisement

ThePott wrote: »
    It'll be a very different scene when things open up again.

It will, however the scene always changes.
    Sure ten years ago it was DCW and Main stage. Both gone along with so many guys leaving wrestling. Before that it was CPW, IWW and Nwa Ireland. All gone and lads gone.

Really is a high turn over in wrestling over the near 20 years the Irish scene has existed. Way it goes.

ShagNastii wrote: »
    I’d cynically say that OTT had peaked well before the pandemic.

The peak for me was the more over 18s style monthly Tivoli shows.

You could probably argue the Devlin/Walter feud from Suir road was the best era but became more family friendly and less of a must go to for me after that.

It will, however the scene always changes
    Oh for sure, peaks and valleys and all that. Be interesting to see is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭oneilla

The Live Performance Support scheme list of grantees was released today. No sign of any wrestling company here surely someone could have put on an outdoor show?

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/a21c2-minister-martin-announces-recipients-of-funding-under-live-performance-support-scheme-lpss-2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Galway Pro Wrestling Training

Hi All,

Fri 20th, Sat 21st & Sun 22nd August

3 Day Pro Wrestling Training Camp for beginners in Galway City.

For full info please drop us a private message.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

I dunno if you guys are following the OTT stuff on Twitter but what an absolute dumpsterfire. After making vague promises about cleaning up the scene, they bang out a statement that basically says they'll book anyone so long as they haven't been criminally prosecuted. Great. On top of that this wayward gang continue to attack fans that disagree with their policy on social media.

The sheen has well and truly worn off, the feel good story took a twist over a year ago and turned into a horror, as someone whose attended a lot of OTT shows over the years and travelled a lot to watch them I can safely say I'd never go to another, I could not justify supporting a company who have done nothing real to clean up a dirty scene, which was largely of their own making.

I dunno if you guys are following the OTT stuff on Twitter but what an absolute dumpsterfire. After making vague promises about cleaning up the scene, they bang out a statement that basically says they'll book anyone so long as they haven't been criminally prosecuted. Great. On top of that this wayward gang continue to attack fans that disagree with their policy on social media.

The sheen has well and truly worn off, the feel good story took a twist over a year ago and turned into a horror, as someone whose attended a lot of OTT shows over the years and travelled a lot to watch them I can safely say I'd never go to another, I could not justify supporting a company who have done nothing real to clean up a dirty scene, which was largely of their own making.

I dont wanna see the likes of "for example" Jordan Devlin, Jimmy Havoc, David Starr, V. Dream, Jack Gallagher etc....

The mud sticks and I have no desire to see the likes of them again. There is no shortage of talent, so why push ahead with these guys (I dunno who they are planning to book yet).

Plenty of talent to book that havent been accused of horrible actions that can fill a show.

It's an interesting topic raised....
    On one side, if any fan of OTT gets turned off by the promotion using said wrestlers again then that's ok. Perfectly fine that they do not wish to watch / buy merch / support OTT in any way. No one owes anyone anything. So BreakerJoe and LineOfBeauty no one can tell you otherwise.

On another side, the general "feeling" within OTT (fellow wrestlers) could be that wrestler x (whoever) said his side and he was believed.

Joe, who it ultimately comes down to, may share the same as above (wrestler x's side is believed) and books them. Feeling that they are a good worker and add value to OTT being booked on a show. That's his choice.

Some fans will be disgusted. Some fans will believe that wrestler x is innocent and some fans won't care either way.

Not so black and white I guess :pac:

It's an interesting topic raised....
    On one side, if any fan of OTT gets turned off by the promotion using said wrestlers again then that's ok. Perfectly fine that they do not wish to watch / buy merch / support OTT in any way. No one owes anyone anything. So BreakerJoe and LineOfBeauty no one can tell you otherwise.

On another side, the general "feeling" within OTT (fellow wrestlers) could be that wrestler x (whoever) said his side and he was believed.

Joe, who it ultimately comes down to, may share the same as above (wrestler x's side is believed) and books them. Feeling that they are a good worker and add value to OTT being booked on a show. That's his choice.

Some fans will be disgusted. Some fans will believe that wrestler x is innocent and some fans won't care either way.

Not so black and white I guess :pac:

Im a firm believer in just because someone is accused doesn't make them guilty.

Devlin, for example, has been accused of some horrible things. Ive no idea if its true or not.

But the mud does stick, I cant enjoy him anymore and yes its probably unfair to Devlin, but its the reality. I dont wanna see him.

If others wanna watch him, good for them and Im glad they are happy. I just cant.

• Advertisement

Im a firm believer in just because someone is accused doesn't make them guilty.

Devlin, for example, has been accused of some horrible things. Ive no idea if its true or not.

But the mud does stick, I cant enjoy him anymore and yes its probably unfair to Devlin, but its the reality. I dont wanna see him.

If others wanna watch him, good for them and Im glad they are happy. I just cant.

Totally understand.
    For full transparency I probably shouldn't have said "Not so black and white I guess" but "everyone will think different" - that was my intention if there was any cross-wires. Some will have an issue & some wont type of deal.

As I said in my first post, if anyone doesn't want to go to a show because wrestler x is on the show then that's perfectly fine.

I think each siutuation with these wrestlers is different and I feel Im a tad hypocritical in some respects.

I firmly believe that if a wrestler has doen wrong, accepts that they are wrong and genuinely tries to learn, apologise and make amends then they probably deserve forgiveness.

I may be wrong, but take Scrull for example. I think he has somewhat tried to accept his actions were wrong and apologised to a degree. If he is genuinely remorseful and accepting he has done wrong he probably deserves forgivenness. I am open to correction on my account btw as its ages ago and may be remembering things badly.

However, its hard to watch him the same way. Its hard to shake the feeling I see when I read about him.

Devlin is different, if I remember correctly he denied his wrong doings and hasnt addressed them since if my memory serves me right. Now he may be innocent, but the stink if the accusation wont leave him for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭cena

Does anyone know if emerald wrestling promotions are still going?
    Not sure if they are Irish

cena wrote: »
    Does anyone know if emerald wrestling promotions are still going?
    Not sure if they are Irish

Haven't ran a show since 2013.

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=8&nr=994&page=4

Sad to see lads like LJ Cleary getting abuse on twitter for returning to OTT.

Why's that? Cause of the whole speak out issue or something? (i cant remember :p )

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jo187

Had to come up with a new account after the switch over. Anyway was at the OTT show on Sunday in Belfast.

First live anything really in almost two years. It was a rush of feelings when the show kicked off. I been to OTT in the europa before, obvs things were different now. We got there for 3:30, most of the seats were gone. We stood at the door for a good bit waiting for someone to check our tickets. There was a lot of staff around, but no one seem bothered. A lad came over and said he get someone to check us in. After waiting a another bit, we just walked in as other people were jumping ahead of us and getting the last few seats. So next times lads, don't worry about buying a ticket as loads of spare chairs at the back, just rock on in. Delighted with our seat and nice not to have everyone on top of each other.

We kicked off with Martina vs B Cool in a blindfold hardcore match. Great way to start the show really fun match. There was few others matches but noting worth talking about. Except Charlie Sterling was over and my indifference to Timothy Thatcher goes on.

Raven Creed Vs. Sammii Jayne was non title and had a weak finish to set up what looks like a hard core match next month.

Kings of the North vs Paddy M and mystery Partner. Kings were very over, despite them suppose to be the heels. Paddy partner was so lad called Ravey-D or something like that. His a Scottish version of "Lads from the flats" type. The match was going well until the end. Paddy M was going to use the belt behind the Ref Back. But corvin stopped him, then Corvin used the belt on Paddy M in front of the Ref for a DQ win. There were a few of these finishes on the show. Clearly with the reduced roster they need to do a lot of rematches for next month. I get why there doing it, but it does take away from the show having too many screwy finishes.

Joel Redman Vs Omari. Was suppose to be Joel Vs Haskins for the belt, Haskins got coivd sadly but Omari was a great replacement for him. I heard Omari is leaving wrestling so nice to see him before he goes.

They announce the next show, Haskins was in the video but not a 100 per cent sure he be there, depends how the coivd hits him. A wrestler from NJPW was announce for the show, I no idea who he was as don't follow NJPW but the people there seem happy he was coming and nice to see international talent back on the show.

Main Event was LJ Cleary vs. Adam "Flex". LJ still rocking the more than hype gear. I thought the group was done, so maybe a change is needed for him? The match itself was great and LJ & Flex impressed in the main event spot. Only downside was the screwy finish, which they did to set up the rematch for next month.

It was great to back and any problems I had it's down to the way things are at the minute which is not OTT fault. They did the best they could and gladly go to the next show if I could afford. It's does look like Belfast will be the base for the rest of the year with the way things are going at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jo187

Great show last night from OTT. Writing this on my phone , so forgive any mistakes.

Things didn't start great. Arrived to venue at 5. I had gotten the early access tickets as the only ones that were left. It meant we were suppose to go in at 5.45.

No venue or OTT staff, there was one queue and no one knew how the early access was going to work. Getting closer to 5.45 people started showing up and going to top of the queue. So everyone just went to the top of the queue. Big mob of people on top of each other with no social distance possible

At 6.20, Joe comes out and start scanning tickets. It was a rush to get in. I don't know if anyone from OTT reads this but it won't be hardest thing to have a someone stand at the door and go, gold tickets to the left and general tickets to the right. The tickets cost 50 euro and the only benefit you get for the extra money is to get in early. Waiting over an hour and still had to push past people who only just showed up and probably had general tickets. Managed to get second row seats after everything.

Been to the Belfast shows, but you can't beat the dublin shows. The night made up for the mess with the tickets. First half good fun, second half the main matches. Martina won the GN Title in a cracking triple threat. LJ finished the feud with Flex and moving onto the world title. Osprey & Aussie Open was great fun against Scotty davis & NJPW lads.

The whole show was dedicated to Ryan Smile. After the match Osprey gave a touching tribute to his friend and genuine moving moment.

Tickets still in sale for the mini show today and the 7th anniversary show the end of the month.

Before those shows be both sold out by now. Not sure if running two shows in one month has hurt business, or the fact is basically the same roster or other reasons.

I got tickets for the next one, I got stage seats so don't have to worry about another ticket fiasco.

Continuing to use Scotty Davis appears to be a reason why some arent going back to OTT.

The mud sticks whether right or wrong in this day anf age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Dedicating the show to Ryan Smile, with all that he was accused of before he passed is probably not the wisest either.

Advertisement