Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Promotions Thread *Please read post 1* (*Mod Warning Post #3947)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I didnt hear that part. Jeez.

The whole seen was crushed by the Speakingout Movement and the buzz is absolutely gone. Twitter had very little about the show, allegedly not sold out too.

Using guys like Davis and Devlin , plus the alleged trolling in burner accounts by Joe have not painted a good picture.

Sad end to what was once the must see company on the Indys of all of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Davy05

Anyone who was there would hardly call it the "sad end"... place was packed and buzzing as usual. I think a lot more people want to act like the show is over than actually believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jo187

Just in from OTT, second Dublin show in one month. Place was packed. Few people dressed up. Best one was the guy dressed as the rock from that picture of him in the 90s with the fanny pack.

We were seating in the stage section. For some reason the wrestlers sat beside us.

We had Paul Tracey, Paddy M, Maxer and more. They were chatting away during the matches, having a great laugh and breaking any sort of kayfabe.

Angel Cruz was at the side of the stage too, hopefully a sign of him coming back and biggest star of them all, OSW Jay Hunter was in the crowd. Seem a top bloke.

From the first half Justin Daniels winning a six man tag match, that became a triple threat match between the winning team to get a MLW title shot. A whole paragraph just to explain the concept of the match.

Fun comedy match with B Cool & J against Aussie Open. Team B cool win by DQ.

Big Damo against Thatcher next. Damo looked great and was over. If Damo is sticking around could be someone OTT could use in a prominent position.

Second half started off with the women tag match. It was a bit random. Debbie Ketiel & Raven Creed made some effort in being a tag team. Session Moth who just won the Gender Neutral title and super over with the crowd had to team up with the womens champ Jayne who's a heel, for no reason. Seemingly that they just wanted to put all the women in one match.

The Belfast show I went to a couple of months ago seem to set up Raven against Jayne in a hardcore match. We never got that match and would had fitted in great here. You could had done Moth against Debbie with someone else, as a triple threat for the GN title.

Instead we got this ok tag match and at the end all four women fought each other, so maybe setting up a four way at the next show?

Osprey Vs. Scotty Davis. The story of the match was, could the young upstart get one over on his more experienced opponent to win the big one. The ending being the veteran winning but only by an inch and despite losing the upstart earns the veteran respect.

In the main event you had exactly the same story with Hawkins against LJ Clearly. It was bizarre doing these matches back to back.

The atmosphere for Osprey/Davis was off the charts and the match was great. Hawkins/Clearly couldn't compete.

Also Paddy M and the wrestlers at this stage were getting loud with there banter was taking away from the show. Of course I didn't have the neck to say anything to them.

With LJ not winning it was a damp ending, especially for an anniversary show and no clear direction of what next for the company.

Next show was announced for December 4. But not show title or talent announced.

Kings of the north weren't on this show. At the last Dublin show they did a run in at the end of a match and that was it. There working the Belfast show tomorrow so there not hurt and for a anniversary show it would make sense to have them on tonight.

It was overall a good show but think we need to start getting a sense of direction. Know there only getting back on their feet, but hopefully a star or a strong storyline will emerge soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

ospreay vs davis sponsored by metoo and speakingout

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭ThePott

Phoenix have put their most recent show online, took place on the 23rd of October.

Didn't post notes like I usually do cause I knew this was being recorded, didn't know it would be up for free though which is great!

Was an awesome show and the Limerick crowd were amazing!

Going through the card, we have two tag title semi-finals between Rock Shandy (Clayton Long and Martin Steers) vs. Team Titanic (JDP and Jordy). The other one unfortunately became a handicap match between Saviors of Destiny (Owen Richards and Andy Steel) and Justin Daniels.

We had two singles matches Billy Bedlam vs Matt Skyler. Deano Power vs Sean Donn.

Lots of title matches as well. The Titanic Championship was defended by Luther Valentine taking on Steven Carvel.

We had a Fourway match to be the first Hard Knox Hardcore Champion between Butch Armstrong, Jay (Worker Name: Danny Cross), J-Money and Session Moth Martina. Unreal confrontation at the end of this one too.

Finally, the first ever Phoenix champion was crowned in a 4-way between Steve Savage, Riordan O'Connor, LJ Cleary and Justy.

Again, full disclosure I did the ring announcing on the show but I've been plugging their shows and posting my notes long before that cause I love supported my local (even if they're in Limerick now 😜). Check it out if you're looking for some Irish wrestling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Caught up with Joe Cabray to talk all things Scrappermania and OTT.

Full interview on KCLR 96fm on air and online at 5.30 today

https://scoreline.ie/scrappermania-the-irish-wrestling-event-of-the-year-returns/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jo187

RVD added to the ott stadium show in March. Tickets still on sale , so maybe RVD a last ditch attempt to sell it out? Still 50/50 about going myself.

Stadium shows are always a blast! I highly recommend going if anyone gets the opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Went to the OTT show last night and sold me on going to scrapper!

not a huge crowd by any sense, but really good atmosphere

opener of LJ clearly and the OJMO was superb

and a main even if J & BCool against Aussie Open (which is on for scrapper but last night due to travel issues with other talent)

Devlin announced for scrapper got a bigger pop than I expected, considering..

Phoenix at home in a March, and then a scrapper a week later!

• Advertisement

How do you feel about the lads of speaking out fame being included on the cards?

i was very surprised Devlin was brought back into OTT, and the level of support that announcement got was.. unnerving?..

considering the moves OTT seemed to make when speaking out happened especially.

But the vast majority of the talent were there aren’t touched by it and I’m more than happy to support them with merch etc.

wont be going near Devlin or Davis personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I can only speak as someone looking from the outside in but OTT didn't close the door on Jordan, and more importantly, WWE didn't give him the sack. So maybe the woman who accused him was spoofing? That Jordan could prove that or at least convince he was innocent?

They didnt close the door on Davis, who more or less admitted he did got violent, just that he was justified due to his claims that he was cheated on.

Either way, the mud sticks whether verifiable or not. I can't watch Devlin anymore.

Just because OTT or WWE continue to work for them isnt an indication they were innocent or the women are spoofing.

I dunno, it's a hard one to call. All I do know is that Jordan isn't exactly making WWE millions of dollars. He's only NXT UK. Could sack him tomorrow and no loss from their end. So logical conclusion is they simply don't care or they gave him the benefit of the doubt from discussions he had with them. Which of course is the ultimate question.

Just because someone says something does not make it true. I don't know the woman. She wouldn't be the first woman to come forward and tell the truth nor would she be the first to tell a lie. What does seem to be is that WWE and OTT are not holding it against him.

But with all that you are perfectly within your right to not want to see him anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

They've basically doubled down on their stance. That's what this show proves. They know the Twitter fans that supported them in the past aren't gonna go anymore, with that you get this total lack of buzz. So if those people aren't going anyway, might as well try to get the other fans for whom Devlin and Davis may have some cache.

Personally I wouldn't be caught dead at an OTT show again and the lineup is naff.

The 4 way on scrapper could be superb

the rest of the card is.. eh?

next Phoenix show in limerick looks pretty good too, theyve got some nice talent with that!

Even the level of American talent has taken a massive plunge.

They had Mox scheduled for a show before speaking out. Now they have a well past their sell by date RVD and Scott Too Hot Taylor being the mainstream draw.

Says it all about where they are now.

From a business perspective they really have taken the wrong option.

I think 2 years of the pandemic wiping out their income has more to do with it than anything said on twitter tbh.

I'd almost prefer they didn't use US talent if possible

they've a lot of quality homegrown talent they can use

• Advertisement

A lot of homegrown talent have left and quit wrestling altogether

Sadly that always happens. Crazy when you think that the Irish wrestling scene is going 20 years now with Nwa Ireland being the first, then iww in 2004, cpw in 2005, main stage in 2010 etc. All those wrestlers, all those lads who fizzled and quit.

It's something that never gets spoken about on here. I guess because those who post have never been involved or never knew people who have. But wrestling on the Indies sucks lol. So many just get sick of it. The usual stuff always gets mentioned: backstabbing, egos, politics (even on a low level indy!), cliques, two facedness, Mark promoters, ah could go on.

Then there's the in ring stuff. Guys who won't want to take anything however have no issue throwing 95% offense on you. Guys who sandbag you on everything. Guys who will try to take the head off you with the likes of an enzguri kick to make themselves look good. But how dare you be snug in response. All this and you're not even getting paid or barely if you're lucky.

No wonder so many have quit over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Yea none of that is the reason a group of talented Irish wrestlers quit in 2020 but nice try at deflection

What? What deflection?

In case your peepers aren't too sharp I talked about the Irish wrestling scene over the last 20 years and all the lads who just fizzled. Then mentioned what the reality of the scene is like. Everything that just comes with it as a whole.

How did I deflect? In fact, what are you even talking about? You said 2020 then don't even add anything to it as to what YOU think why.

Covid? Me too movement? Ott is terrible? You randomly said I was deflecting so what then?

Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭endainoz

I'd say they were referring to the me too stuff, it's unfortunate the way things went for OTT and the UK and Ireland scene in general. I'm unfamiliar with the Scotty Davis stuff but haven't heard anything with regard to an arrest or anything, no doubt he could be a piece of sh1t and very unlikeable though, the same goes for Devlin to be fair.

I have no involvement in the scene, no doubt many on this thread are and probably know the proper stories as opposed to just hearsay, but I had also noticed a lot of negative thoughts toward OTT we'll before the metoo stuff so there's a good chance the Irish bitterness is alive and well, even in such a small scene.

I do hope OTT succeeds though, scrappermania 5 was the best indie show I've ever watched and my favorite show since one night stand 2005. It opened up a world that I had very little knowledge of. I think it's great that they have opened the wrestling school again and like that they will be focussing more on home grown talent as opposed to relying on imports. The odd surprise would be nice though. I recently subscribed to ottondemand again, happy to support them and hope this event goes well for them.

Nitro95 was by all accounts a top supporter of OTT. The man would affectionately tell all he saw about how good OTT was and why. So there is no 'Irish bitterness' from him. Regarding myself, while I never caught one live I always regret not being able to make shows due to one reason or another, but I rarely heard a bad word about OTT pre speaking out.

The fact is, loads of young talent quit out of near disgust of how toxic the Irish wrestling is. Imagine how bad it made them feel that they had to walk away.

That's fair enough, but the company are trying to rebuild and I think they need support.

They probably wont get it with the likes of Devlin and Davis on their cards.

What kind of a reception do you reckon they'll get? Probably serious heat I'd imagine

• Advertisement

I don't care about what reaction they get.

They lost a lot of support from continuing to use these guys, they've lost young talent.... at the end of the day, is it worth it to push ahead with using these guys considering the damage its doing?

Advertisement