Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Day 2021 - Monday 21st & Tuesday 22nd June

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

DevFirst wrote: »
    After lots of testing, the problem is fixed on SOME items (under certain conditions), but sill broken on other items. I'm compiling a list of what the conditions are and will post them in a bit. For now if you wanna check you're getting the right discount here's how.

HOW TO CHECK IF YOU'RE GETTING THE CORRECT DISCOUNT AMOUNT:
    First off, it's easier if you set your amazon display prices and checkout price to GBP temporarily (just while you compare the prices/discounts).

1. On the product page, take the Non-Deal Price item and subtract the Prime Exclusive Deal Price, this will give you the discount amount.
    EXAMPLE:
    £120.00 (Non-Deal Price)
    £90.00 (Prime Exclusive Deal Price)
    So discount is £30

2. Bring the deal priced item to checkout, "Promotion Applied" should match the discount you just calculated:
    [b]Order Summary[/b]
    Items:                 GBP 100.00 [i](correct, this is Non-Deal Price minus the 20% UK VAT)[/i]
    Postage and Packaging: GBP   0.00 [i](correct)[/i]
    Import Fees Deposit:   GBP  23.00 [i](correct, this is 23% irish VAT for £100)[/i]
    Total:                 GBP 123.00 [i](correct)[/i]
    [b]Promotion Applied:    -GBP  29.99[/b] [i](CHECK HERE)[/i]
    Order Total:           GBP  93.01 [i](correct, the extra 3.01 is just the diff from 20% UK VAT compared to 23% Irish VAT)[/i]

3. If the "Promotion applied" figure is lower than discount you got on the product page, the discount is WRONG, if it's the same (usually within 1p from my testing) it's being done correctly.

Maybe I'm missing something but that's not what i see.

I'm looking at a projector:

Normal price: £229
    Deal price: £165
    Discount: £65

If I choose a UK address I pay £165 total and it says UK VAT is included.

However if a set an Irish address the breakdown is:

Normal price: £229
    Import fees: £53 (Irish VAT 23%)
    Total: £283
    Minus discount: £65
    Price I pay: £218

So UK address and its £218
    Irish address £165
    A £53 difference despite both VATs supposedly being calculated separately?!

According to your post the calculation is correct as the discount is the same as the normal - deal price (£65). Then why am I paying £283 as it seems to have Irish AND UK Tax added?

Edit: I think i see the issue, they are still trying to charge me £229 instead of taking off the UK VAT first. So I think you system of "its correct if the discount matches" only works if they actually take the UK VAT off at the start, which is not a guarantee...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

vicwatson wrote: »
    Refunds within 10 days for those overcharged

Fair enough but most didn't buy anything for prime day over this issue. Annoying as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭SourSessions

Just spent ages on the phone (mostly waiting) about the Tile Slim lightning deal (£14.99 vs £24.99) being charged VAT at the non-deal price. As I said, it was mostly waiting for the guy to go off and calculate things but he gave me a £5 voucher in the end that offset the extra charges. I felt kind of ridiculous on the phone about a pretty measly difference, but in my defence I just went onto chat to check and they were the ones who arranged a callback.

Still, he said VAT shouldn't be charged under €22 until July 1st so now I'm annoyed at the other non-prime-day lightning deals I bought and accepted paying the higher VAT!

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

For anyone interested in any Prime Day deals on Amazon Germany, I signed up to the trial and was able to purchase a weather station that was marked down from €157 to €119. I just had to pay €10 for shipping, but at least the deal worked despite the warning about Prime Benefits being limited to Germany/Austria.

The cheapest deal I could find on Amazon UK for the equivalent weather station was £152 (£157 at checkout after the discount/fee calculations).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,377 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

editorsean wrote: »
    For anyone interested in any Prime Day deals on Amazon Germany, I signed up to the trial and was able to purchase a weather station that was marked down from €157 to €119. I just had to pay €10 for shipping, but at least the deal worked despite the warning about Prime Benefits being limited to Germany/Austria.

The cheapest deal I could find on Amazon UK for the equivalent weather station was £152 (£157 at checkout after the discount/fee calculations).

ooh ..can you give link to weather station?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

ooh ..can you give link to weather station?.

No problem, this is the one I ordered: https://smile.amazon.de/dp/B081F1VTYT

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DevFirst

quarryman wrote: »
    Edit: I think i see the issue, they are still trying to charge me £229 instead of taking off the UK VAT first. So I think you system of "its correct if the discount matches" only works if they actually take the UK VAT off at the start, which is not a guarantee...

I think that might be what's happening to you, check the product page and check if it's being sold by a third party seller and only being fulfilled by amazon, from what I've seen; some third party sellers don't take the 20% UK VAT off, and just add on 23% Irish VAT, which is indeed incorrect. Amazon UK/EU Sarl seem to remove the 20% UK then add the 23% Irish VAT correctly (from what I've seen, could be wrong).

Frankly their whole price summary at checkout is a nightmare for the customer, trying to figure which VAT is which, if it's being deducted, if there's import duty being collected on the category of product, they simply bundle all this into the "import fee deposit" without breaking down any of it to the customer. It's awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,938 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Is this year a contender/winner for worst "prime day" (or days) ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Definitely not the best Prime day - but then again the Irish VAT thing really F'd it for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭antomack

Just ordered an item from warehouse with 30% discount but the end price wasn't applying the full discount.

Original price GBP72.12 which with the 30% discount equates to GBP50.48 with UK VAT or GBP51.75 with Irish VAT but I was charged GBP55.89, an extra GBP4.14.

Placed the order and got on to chat to point out the overcharge by 4.14 and the agent I got just applied the 4.14 as a gift card.

Seems to depend on getting the right agent to get it sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

4K Firestick and Echo Dot 4th Gen bundle now just £42 but guess what it cant be shipped to here :(

dan786 wrote: »
    4K Firestick and Echo Dot 4th Gen bundle now just £42 but guess what it cant be shipped to here :(

Give a relative in the Uk and text and have them post it.

Or addresspal and take the 5 euro Vat hit

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Another indoor Saorview Aerial for £9.98.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

DevFirst wrote: »
    I think that might be what's happening to you, check the product page and check if it's being sold by a third party seller and only being fulfilled by amazon, from what I've seen; some third party sellers don't take the 20% UK VAT off, and just add on 23% Irish VAT, which is indeed incorrect. Amazon UK/EU Sarl seem to remove the 20% UK then add the 23% Irish VAT correctly (from what I've seen, could be wrong).

Frankly their whole price summary at checkout is a nightmare for the customer, trying to figure which VAT is which, if it's being deducted, if there's import duty being collected on the category of product, they simply bundle all this into the "import fee deposit" without breaking down any of it to the customer. It's awful.

The rule I'm applying now is if the base price at checkout is the same as what non-price was for the product then they aren't taking off UK VAT and its a no-go. And I can find very few items where that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Looking to buy this redmi note 10 pro on Amazone germany but need to signup to prime in order to get the discount.

Can I signup to prime there and have a shipping address in Ireland to avail of discount?

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/smartphone-headphones-16-94cm-display-Android/dp/B08XJXNN9N

AdrianG08 wrote: »
    Looking to buy this redmi note 10 pro on Amazone germany but need to signup to prime in order to get the discount.

Can I signup to prime there and have a shipping address in Ireland to avail of discount?

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/smartphone-headphones-16-94cm-display-Android/dp/B08XJXNN9N

Sure you should be able to get a free month of prime for .de so worth chancing your arm no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Better value on the UK site, 199 pounds for the 128gb version

Yes you can.

Also its on UK site also around £206

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Get it delivered to Newry Post Office (or any NI Post Office) and collect it?

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Get it delivered to Newry Post Office (or any NI Post Office) and collect it?

Sure the petrol and time would be worth more than customs. Ordered to Addresspal, customs shouldnt be too high for £42 items.

• Advertisement

Sure the petrol and time would be worth more than customs. Ordered to Addresspal, customs shouldnt be too high for £42 items.

It will end up costing about €72 total, so not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Amazon use bots for their chat service. There's a good chance that you're just speaking to an AI, with added typing time to waste your time and give the impression that it's a person.
    They're not going to be able to answer a load of questions about VAT suddenly as they haven't learned to deal with it.

You can ask in the chat to speak to a human if you think it's a bot (or to throw an insult at them if they aren't!).

Consider that the next time you're thanking a program for helping you sort out a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,671 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Monotype wrote: »
    Amazon use bots for their chat service. There's a good chance that you're just speaking to an AI, with added typing time to waste your time and give the impression that it's a person.
    They're not going to be able to answer a load of questions about VAT suddenly as they haven't learned to deal with it.

You can ask in the chat to speak to a human if you think it's a bot (or to throw an insult at them if they aren't!).

Consider that the next time you're thanking a program for helping you sort out a problem.

If your first message to the bot is "chat with agent" or "speak with agent", you will be transferred to a human being (who hasn't been sufficiently trained or informed by their employer to be able to solve issues like this, which makes it a frustrating encounter for them and for customers. Remember also that the person you are dealing with may be working from home in a location with poor internet connection - if they lose connection, someone else comes online and has to catch up with the conversation - again, frustrating for them and for you)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Ordered a Paperwhite a few minutes ago after about 20 minutes with a CSR. Came to £103-ish in the end with the assurance that the promotion isn't triggering properly (it's only taking £20 off the final price instead of £40) but that they'll get it fixed and refund me the difference in a day or two (final price should be around £83).

Problem seems to be when the system deducts the British VAT to add on the Irish one it's messing up the Prime Day discount amount. They'd want to just get on with Amazon.ie at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

(42 GBP plus 6.50 EuR)*0.23 + 6.50 + AnPost Handling fee. 20-25 EuR in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Seems to be fixed for some things.
    There are two Cat Stevens box sets that have Prime Deals.
    One is reduced from £135 to £77 - and checks out at £80 so all ok.
    The other is reduced from £135 to £81 but delivery restricted to UK - makes no sense.
    Was on chat and they agree that the inconsistency is illogical (both released at the same time and fulfilled by Amazon) but cannot manually override or change the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

I got two of these gigantic tarps:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07YF6FXM7/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

A steal at 19.58 (minus VAT = £16.32). Great for anyone who lives in countryside/on a farm for covering miscellaneous crap

• Registered Users Posts: 16,861 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Just spent ages on the phone (mostly waiting) about the Tile Slim lightning deal (£14.99 vs £24.99) being charged VAT at the non-deal price. As I said, it was mostly waiting for the guy to go off and calculate things but he gave me a £5 voucher in the end that offset the extra charges. I felt kind of ridiculous on the phone about a pretty measly difference, but in my defence I just went onto chat to check and they were the ones who arranged a callback.

Why did you bother when Amazon knows there is a pro & has promised to refund any overcharge within the next week or so without the need to contact them?

I'll be giving them 14 days to refund before contacting them

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭byrnefm

I tried to take advantage of a lightning deal for some lights at £19.19 instead of £25.69. At checkout, it came to over £24 as import duty was incorrectly calculated. I got on to CS who said I "did" get the offer .. it's "just" the import duty. That was all they had to offer. I canceled the order, reordered to Strabane as "Click & Collect". £19.19.

What a shambles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Give a relative in the Uk and text and have them post it.

Or addresspal and take the 5 euro Vat hit

Do you really think everyone has a relative in the UK?

Advertisement