Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Due August 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭uptheduffagain

Ditto Antares35, I'd ring them given you're on the cusp. I have a number they called me from last week, I can DM it to you if you like.

Feeling huge here too! The other night baby was kicking/moving/stretching like crazy and it felt like he was changing position. At my last appointment he was head down, anyone know if it's possible for babies to change position and lie sideways at 30 weeks?!

Otherwise fine, I'm praying the carpal tunnel doesn't kick in as I had it on both hands with my first pregnancy and night-time was torture especially. I think it started around this time on #1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Ditto Antares35, I'd ring them given you're on the cusp. I have a number they called me from last week, I can DM it to you if you like.

Feeling huge here too! The other night baby was kicking/moving/stretching like crazy and it felt like he was changing position. At my last appointment he was head down, anyone know if it's possible for babies to change position and lie sideways at 30 weeks?!

Otherwise fine, I'm praying the carpal tunnel doesn't kick in as I had it on both hands with my first pregnancy and night-time was torture especially. I think it started around this time on #1.

That would be great, thank you! I think it's later that the position is important, afaik they can change up to a few weeks before? I'm still feeling rolls moreso than kicks..it's odd. Thought she'd be running out of space for rolling by now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Glad everyone is doing well. I am 28 weeks tomorrow. Baby #3 so I am very big this time. Definitely my best pregnancy of the 3 as I'm feeling pretty good, just very tired and the odd bit of SPD. A few bladder issues which is new to me in pregnancy but I guess third time around, all those muscles have had their fair share of wear and tear.

I'm hoping to have a home birth and am so enjoying being able to steer clear of the hospitals and my GP - getting lots of regular visits from my midwife at home.

This baby has been transverse for a few weeks now. I'm hoping she is not too comfy in that position! Plenty of time yet though.

Feeling reduced movement since Thursday morning. I was busy yesterday so didn't really notice, until yesterday evening when I realised I hadn't felt anything..I drank a lot of Ribena and that seemed to get a reaction, but apparently (I hadn't realised) this advice to "provoke" movement is outdated, and the baby should be just moving of her own accord. I can feel some movement today but nothing like her normal somersaults etc. Reluctant to go into the maternity hospital with covid restrictions etc but don't fancy the idea of worrying a weekend. Tried a few places privately but all seem to be booked up. Does anyone know of any private places in Dublin that open at the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Sorry, I can't help with private clinics but if you're concerned about movements, I would give the maternity hospital a call today.

I had to attend the Rotunda emergency department recently and while I wasn't keen on going to the hospital, it was actually grand and not too busy at all. Obviously it will vary from day to day.

I understand if you want to go private so your partner can attend but I wouldn't let that delay getting checked out, so you'll have peace of mind over the weekend :)

• Advertisement

Ice Storm wrote: »
    Sorry, I can't help with private clinics but if you're concerned about movements, I would give the maternity hospital a call today.

I had to attend the Rotunda emergency department recently and while I wasn't keen on going to the hospital, it was actually grand and not too busy at all. Obviously it will vary from day to day.

I understand if you want to go private so your partner can attend but I wouldn't let that delay getting checked out, so you'll have peace of mind over the weekend :)

Thanks Ice Storm..I feel a bit silly because she is moving but just not half as much. I called and explained and was honest and said she does move if take in loads of sugar, but obviously not ideal to keep doing this. They said their advice is always to go in as we know our babies best.

I'll let you know how it goes and hopefully my little girl is ok.

Antares35 wrote: »
    Thanks Ice Storm..I feel a bit silly because she is moving but just not half as much. I called and explained and was honest and said she does move if take in loads of sugar, but obviously not ideal to keep doing this. They said their advice is always to go in as we know our babies best.

I'll let you know how it goes and hopefully my little girl is ok.

Hope everything is OK, I'm sure it is... you're right to get it checked out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Go in Antares, and never feel stupid.You know your baby best.I hope all is ok.

Hey all thanks for the messages. I went in this afternoon. All is ok thank God. Even reduced to a pen and paper system, they still run an amazing system in NMH. It turns out that my girl has turned sideways, well diagonal really :D And it could explain why I am not feeling the movement as much. They did a trace for forty minutes and baby's heartbeat is fine. Then the Dr did a scan and all is well, she's jumping around, lots of amniotic fluid etc. It's such a relief to know everything is ok.

I mentioned to the midwife that the only way I was feeling movement was to "provoke" it with sugary cold drinks and she said that if you get to a stage where you need to "provoke" movement when a pattern has already been established, that a visit to check is probably wise. Just FYI in case anyone has a similar experience. And she also mentioned that while a checkup will tell in the here and now that everything is ok, they still rely on our intuition if something is wrong, to come and get it checked, and they don't mind how many times we go in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭AlwaysDoe

So glad to hear everything is okay Antares. It sounds like the midwife was very reassuring and supportive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Oh that is good news Antares.I read a GP making a comment the other day that she had learned at her peril to ignore a mother's gut instinct, and over the years, I have found doctors will listen to me about the kids....that gut instinct is so strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭xalot

You absolutely did the right thing Antares, always better to be safe than sorry. I find that if I'm busy I dont notice the baby at all during the day, it's only when I sit down in the evening that he kicks off.

With my first I went in twice for reduced movements and was never made feel bad about it at all, if anything they commended me for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 weirdcatlady

Hey Guys, how is everyone getting on? 😠I had an app yesterday and was diagnosed with GD a dew weeks ago due to fluid around the baby and it measuring big. Has anyone had anything similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭xalot

Hey Guys, how is everyone getting on? 😠I had an app yesterday and was diagnosed with GD a dew weeks ago due to fluid around the baby and it measuring big. Has anyone had anything similar?

ME!. My fluid levels were too high on Monday so I did the GTT on Wednesday but have not heard anything back, they said that I'd hear the same day if it was positive so I'm taking no news as good news. How long did it take for you to get results?

I've been told that there are great groups on Facebook for people with GD.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 weirdcatlady

xalot wrote: »
    ME!. My fluid levels were too high on Monday so I did the GTT on Wednesday but have not heard anything back, they said that I'd hear the same day if it was positive so I'm taking no news as good news. How long did it take for you to get results?

I've been told that there are great groups on Facebook for people with GD.

I heard the next day, yeah 100% id say you are ok if you haven't heard anything back yet! Usually, they are very quick! I may look up some on the FB groups, It does seem to be common enough to be fair.

Due my second vaccine this coming weekend at Citywest, but haven't got a text about it yet. I didn't get a text to confirm the first appointment either - Holles Street organised it for me and said the HSE would take over from there.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Due my second vaccine this coming weekend at Citywest, but haven't got a text about it yet. I didn't get a text to confirm the first appointment either - Holles Street organised it for me and said the HSE would take over from there.

Anyone else in the same boat?

This happened me with my first vaccine. Holles St arranged it and I never received a text from HSE. In the end I just turned up, no other choice. Couldn't get through to HSE of course.

This happened me with my first vaccine. Holles St arranged it and I never received a text from HSE. In the end I just turned up, no other choice. Couldn't get through to HSE of course.

Bloody hell, bit of a shambles so! I might have to do the same and just turn up! Did you go to Citywest in the end as well?

Bloody hell, bit of a shambles so! I might have to do the same and just turn up! Did you go to Citywest in the end as well?

No mine was in UCD. Definitely a shambles , though I think it's at HSEs fault rather than the hospital. What a surprise :D

I got my text the day before so there's time yet

• Advertisement

How's everyone doing? Third trimester fatigue has caught up with me over the past week, and acid reflux has been really bad the last few weeks. Otherwise I'm grand and trying to get my hospital bag finished this week! Also REALLY looking forward to finishing up in work in a few weeks. I've lost all motivation, especially in this heat!

How's everyone doing? Third trimester fatigue has caught up with me over the past week, and acid reflux has been really bad the last few weeks. Otherwise I'm grand and trying to get my hospital bag finished this week! Also REALLY looking forward to finishing up in work in a few weeks. I've lost all motivation, especially in this heat!

Ah the humidity! It's just a killer when your chest cavity is already shrinking! I've my bag waiting to go in the hall, still need to get some giant pants for it :D

In tomorrow for 36 week check! Iron was low last time which is unusual for me, I'm normally above average. They think it's the short spacing between two pregnancies that's done it, so on pregnacare plus and galfer. It's all getting so real now! :)

Had my checkup yesterday at exactly 36 weeks and baby is breech. The midwife said when I attend for my 38 week check in two weeks to bring my hospital stuff with me because if she hasn't turned by then I'll be kept in and it will be caesarean. Trying not to panic too much but this really isn't what I had planned. Only stats I could find are 1 in 3 chance that baby will turn herself after 36 weeks (apparently 1 in 8 on your first). In some ways I wouldn't mind the birth being planned and avoiding the worry I've had of going into labour early and the panic of trying to put arrangements in place for our toddler, pets and OH who doesn't yet drive!

But I'm also not keen about being away from my toddler for several days, and obviously a section has longer recovery, plus with the visitor restrictions lifted, I'm concerned about spending time in a public ward because of the covid risk to me and my baby. Also, do I now have to unpack hospital bag and re- examine what's needed? :D

Has anyone else been through this before? So much for not panicking hey :)

Had my checkup yesterday at exactly 36 weeks and baby is breech. The midwife said when I attend for my 38 week check in two weeks to bring my hospital stuff with me because if she hasn't turned by then I'll be kept in and it will be caesarean. Trying not to panic too much but this really isn't what I had planned. Only stats I could find are 1 in 3 chance that baby will turn herself after 36 weeks (apparently 1 in 8 on your first). In some ways I wouldn't mind the birth being planned and avoiding the worry I've had of going into labour early and the panic of trying to put arrangements in place for our toddler, pets and OH who doesn't yet drive!

But I'm also not keen about being away from my toddler for several days, and obviously a section has longer recovery, plus with the visitor restrictions lifted, I'm concerned about spending time in a public ward because of the covid risk to me and my baby. Also, do I now have to unpack hospital bag and re- examine what's needed? :D

Has anyone else been through this before? So much for not panicking hey :)

Ah no, I would be super disappointed with that too, especially having had a vaginal birth first time around. Did they talk to you about spinning babies? My baby has an unstable lie so my midwife told me to do forward leaning inversions and spend a lot of time on all-fours, which I am doing because I am determined to get my home birth! I am 32 weeks though so have a bit more time.

Did they offer you an ECV to try to manually turn baby?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

I recommend spinningbabies.com too it is a great resource and there’s lots you can do to be proactive and create space for baby to move head down.
    It’s very disappointing that the HSE is not proactive in trying to avoid unnecessary caesareans. It’s no wonder we have over twice the WHO recommended rates
    Best of luck to you, I bet baby will move with some forward leaning inversions and if you ask baby nicely!

Thanks both! Yes vaginal first time so just assumed it would all be plain sailing again. She mentioned using an exercise ball so I'm going to pick one up the weekend. Didn't mention moving the baby by ECV but the thoughts of that freaks me out for some reason. :( I'll check out spinning babies too :)

Don't sit on the exercise ball as that pushes the baby down but not turning them.Best off to lean your arms on the ball, and kneel on the floor, creating as much room as you can inside to encourage baby to wiggle.
    My number 2 turned head up around the 33 week mark and gave me awful breathlessnes (her head in my diaphragm, like...), amd I ended up in the Rotunda A&E for dizziness at 36 weeks....they strapped on a monitor and I lay on the bed waiting for them to come back, I could feel the little fecker kicking the monitor straps and next thing I felt her turning the whole way round so she was head down again.Took my breath away, it wasn't comfy!!!But there is still time for your baby to right itself.I spent a lot of time in the few weeks on all fours, not sitting back on my heels as that would push her further down, and leaning on the ball, the sofa, the bed as described above.

That's not ideal, Antares - but hopefully she'll turn in time! I hear you on the 'trying to organise childcare' front, that's my current biggest stress. We're about 40 mins from hospital and our nearest 'helper' is a good 40-60 mins from us, so hopefully this baby doesn't decide to come in a major hurry!

That's not ideal, Antares - but hopefully she'll turn in time! I hear you on the 'trying to organise childcare' front, that's my current biggest stress. We're about 40 mins from hospital and our nearest 'helper' is a good 40-60 mins from us, so hopefully this baby doesn't decide to come in a major hurry!

It's such a worry isn't it? On my first, I didn't even realise I was in labour..I took two paracetamol and went back to bed! Two hours later I presented at hospital and was 3cm. They've said the second will likely be faster. I just panic thinking about it! I remember our helper (person who had agreed to drive me to hospital) kept texting me the week before asking if it was ok for him to have a drink that night, or did I think it would happen then. How the hell are we meant to know that :D

• Advertisement

I won't ask how everyone is doing in this heat because that's a stupid question 😭

37 weeks now and feeling very tired again. Almost finished with work though, so that's something.

How is everyone, otherwise?

Advertisement