Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone feel in terms of results the gym is overrated?

Options
  • 19-06-2021 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭

Probably looked as fit as I ever have in the past year going on daily 10k walks and doing a few bodyweight exercises once or twice a week.

I honestly think the fitness industry has everyone fooled that they need to lift dumbells to have a good workout.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭RossGeller

Depends on what you're looking for.

If it's just to lose weight then walking or running can take care of that. If you want to get ripped you probably need a gym membership or to buy a few weights, bench, pull up bar, etc.,...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

People should really try to lose weight by walking in the evenings before committing to a gym membership alright.

If you can't stick to walking X times a week theres no way you'll be hitting the gym on a regular basis.

I think for a lot of folks, just having the membership is seen as a bit of a fitness commitment on some level.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

A base level of fitness can be achieved by diet, walking, running, home workouts.

If you wish to build real strength you will need a gym. Deadlifting, benching and squatting heavy can't be replicated by other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭Trampas

o1s1n wrote: »
    People should really try to lose weight by walking in the evenings before committing to a gym membership alright.

If you can't stick to walking X times a week theres no way you'll be hitting the gym on a regular basis.

I think for a lot of folks, just having the membership is seen as a bit of a fitness commitment on some level.

Majority of people who want to lose weight could be done by changing what they eat. Exercise can help but what we put in our mouths will make the bigger and longer benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Actually you can lose weight seating all day long on a sofa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭atilladehun

The general fitness market has always been flooded with VHS/dvd/YouTubes or infomercial gadgets or mega gyms or tunic gyms. People will always try to spend money on themselves and it's easy to sell the idea of improve yourself.

You're right, if you're disciplined and educated about your diet and activity and in general good health then it's possible to maintain a decent shape.

If you've got pain issues you need correcting or you're interested in muscle building, Olympic lifting, strength development or you need someone to tell you what to do or you enjoy a class or you like the convenience then a gym might be for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

markmoto wrote: »
    Actually you can lose weight seating all day long on a sofa.

Yes, if you are in a calorie deficit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Walking does sweet **** all for your body and fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I couldn't disagree more

Silly post of the year award, there, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

That’s a pretty stupid statement tbh.
    Will walking build big biceps, no. But there’s numerous benefits to walking for all types of people.

Delude yourself all you want. What does it actually go for your physique ? No stress on your CV system unless your massively unfit.

Essentially good for your mental health and the small amount of calories you might use up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Probably looked as fit as I ever have in the past year going on daily 10k walks and doing a few bodyweight exercises once or twice a week.

I honestly think the fitness industry has everyone fooled that they need to lift dumbells to have a good workout.

I disagree.

I've lost weight with no more effort than eating less junk food. Nearly 15kg at one point.

I'm finally going to the gym regularly and have somehow put on weight without changing my diet at all except reducing the sweets and snacks a bit so no idea what's happened there.

I think what got me going was the idea of working out helping with stress and anxiety and on that front, I feel much better so I'm quite happy with the gym.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Overrated for fat loss? Definitely.

Overrated for actually getting bigger and stronger? Nah. Think everybody who gave the lockdown bodyweight-only training a good go realised its many shortcomings.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Delude yourself all you want. What does it actually go for your physique ? No stress on your CV system unless your massively unfit.

Essentially good for your mental health and the small amount of calories you might use up.

Lets see...

1) It's good for your general cardiovascular health
    2) It can be great as active recovery for difficult gym sessions - blood flowing between sessions makes those sessions easier
    3) Easy on the joints
    4) It's extra calories burned - if you are aiming to cut a certain bodyfat %, adding walking to your existing gym routine will burn more calories. No brainer really

How about you tell us why it does "sweet **** all"?

1. Not really
    2. Not really
    3. So is sitting down
    4. Two less biscuits will do the same job.

Walking is not sufficient exercise. It is not moderately strenuous and has no effect on muscular development or maintenance.

Go for a walk and see where your heart rate measures on a training chart.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

1. Not really
    2. Not really
    3. So is sitting down

Walking is not sufficient exercise. It is not moderately strenuous and has no effect on muscular development or maintenance.

Saying "not really" is nonsense. It'd be nice if you could present some sort of view.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

1. Not really
    2. Not really
    3. So is sitting down

People who walk a lot have better health. In some studies, better than people who train hard for a few hours a week but are sedentary the rest of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I disagree.

I've lost weight with no more effort than eating less junk food. Nearly 15kg at one point.

I'm finally going to the gym regularly and have somehow put on weight without changing my diet at all except reducing the sweets and snacks a bit so no idea what's happened there.

I think what got me going was the idea of working out helping with stress and anxiety and on that front, I feel much better so I'm quite happy with the gym.

Muscle is heavier than fat.

People often lean up and weigh more

Danzy wrote: »
    Muscle is heavier than fat.

People often lean up and weigh more

I did not see that coming.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Cill94 wrote: »
    People who walk a lot have better health. In some studies, better than people who train hard for a few hours a week but are sedentary the rest of the time.

Yes health but this is the fitness forum.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

The fact that walking is low intensity, low stress is one of the reasons it is potential useful to someone who lifts or does other more high intensity training if they want to burn a few more calories without risking over training or more impact on joints. Or they might want to just do something active without compromising the rest of their training. The inoffensive nature of walking is kind of its niche.

Depending on how briskly you walk and whether it's on a incline is going to dictate whether it's a negligible amount of calories burned or something more substantial, but if you're walking several times a week it adds up. It's not uncommon for people with physique goals to throw in morning walks while fasted.

Benefits like stress relief have a subject element but the restorative benefit of increased blood flow is real.

Stuart McGill also has cited research that some low back pain sufferers can obtain relief from brisk walking. I don't have it in front of me but the swinging arm movement seems to be part of why.

As for the name of the forum... Fitness isn't always about death or glory training, sometimes it's a lot more modest, because some people need to start somewhere and it might be at the very bottom. Sometimes fitness is about small improvements or little habits that, over time, amount to something more significant, and are the way markers in people's journeys from sedentary to fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

1. Not really
    2. Not really
    3. So is sitting down

So - "do your own research"? Ok then

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

I walked LOADS in the lockdown and also did countless Tabata / HIIT sessions... gym opens, HIIT etc. is out the window and the weights are back in the frame taking over completely... But I still walk. It feels relaxing on the joints good to get fresh air and possibly a benefit to my overall fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Longevity is one area where the gym can be great if you take a life long view of it, once you get to your 50's you are in the use it or lose it category. So while you could spend a grand or two and replicate a lot at home, the variety of equipment and space in a gym is just convenient.
    The gym is perfect for intense low impact cardio, bikes, rowers etc. then there is the whole mobility side to fitness, you will be more disciplined about it once you know going to the gym 3 or 4 times a week is part of your routine and something you look forward to it.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Yes health but this is the fitness forum.

I’m not advocating for people to do walking only. People should be training and walking.

That’s the main point of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

10km a day is a serious time commitment!

I have no doubt the OP is seeing serious results walking approx 14 hours or 70km a week, its simple calories in calories out.

Love a good walk myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

It might seem like I'm being a bit flippant in the OP but I genuinely feel my body composition is better now. Maybe I get too puffy and stocky from the gym and by just walking, running and doing some BW stuff, my body looks better less bulky since I'm short. If I was over 6 foot there's no way I'd have this opinion.

• Advertisement

Has your weight changed? Whats your BMI now if I can ask.

Advertisement