Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone feel in terms of results the gym is overrated?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 honirelandboy

AM i reading this right? Someone said walking does not improve your fitness levels whatsoever. Darwin award of the year goes to .....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The analyst banned for a week for being horrid

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I don't think he was ever going to listen to an argument that would change his mind, but since he asked...

From a physique point of view a walk might burn a negligible amount of calories. But a daily walk, for recovery, adds up to a not so negligible amount of calories. Still a small amount of calories in the great scheme of things, but it might be calories being burned in a way that won't upset the rest of your training where the main work is being done. Plently of jacked guys out there not afraid to go for a walk first thing in the morning. If it's good enough for Dave Tate... Walking is one of a few steady state cardio tools he recommends a few times a week.

There's a broader question of whether getting any form of active recovery improves your fitness. That particular bit doesn't, but what if over time it's part of what keeps you moving? Or what if that stupid daily walk is the beginning of a lifelong devotion to fitness. If you didn't bother because someone on boards.ie told you it was a waste of time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You can get that physique in 6 months on two low level cycles and a bodybuilding program.
    :pac: :pac:
    I’m sure your Mr Olympia yourself

In all seriousness. He’s an elite athlete in a particular sport. If he was a massive bodybuilder, he’d be pretty poor at gymnastics.
    How can you build your biceps without weights?

Chin ups
    Rings
    Bands

But if your idea of training is bicep curls you probably need to reassess the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Sweet jebus this thread

PROGRESSIVE OVERLOAD

Please read the basic theory behind progressive overload, no you will not grow your arms, back, legs etc beyond a very small amount without incorporating progressive overload principles.

Please just look into it.

Pretty please

Where has anyone suggested you could do it without progressive overload? :confused:

Would be great if that were true, but alas.

It's all better than nothing.

But I can understand why many wouldn't feel they get value from weights in the gym. If two people do a 10km walk, they just do it. If two people swim ten lengths, they just do it. If two people do pull-ups and ring dips, they just do it. But if two people do the bench press, results could vary widely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I have a feeling this thread has a lot of people talking about completely different things even without realising it

Mellor wrote: »
    Where has anyone suggested you could do it without progressive overload? :confused:

Would be great if that were true, but alas.

Yes there is.

Read through it

• Advertisement

italodisco wrote: »
    Yes there is.

Read through it

TBH, I was hoping you would point to something. Not really arsed reading back through 60 posts of randomness.

Mellor wrote: »
    TBH, I was hoping you would point to something. Not really arsed reading back through 60 posts of randomness.

Ah jesus lol

I read through all of it last night as I couldn't sleep haha

Not going there again. But really it was more a case of people making out you could build decent muscle outside the gym. And I know you would be well aware of the limitations on getting big at home without a serious cash investment.

I'm not saying resistance bands are crap or anything of the sort but it's a serious challenge to get decent size training that way, but It's most certainly better than nothing.

I think folk really need to understand that it takes longer than they envisage to see results and its not the gym that's letting them down, more their own behaviour and habits.

I'm heading back next week to train and I've already got doms thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭KurtBarlow

Most people will have a higher bpm then 100 when walking briskly many will reach 125 bpm

Also walking is far superior to HIT cardio at the end of a cut down when you are trying go burn that last bit of fat . True 20 minutes of HIT cardio will burn more calories than 20 minutes of walking however HIT is very taxing on the CNS and 20 minutes x3 times on alternate days a week is about the most anyone can do. The EPOC claim about it too is absolute garbage

With regards walking it's low intensity so there won't be a limit to how much you can do

It doesnt increase ones appetite like more intensive forms of exercise

Walking is also releases endorphins so its a great mood enhancer and de-stressor

So no walking is not useless. Far from it

Advertisement