Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you failed to get to a life boat on the Titanic?

Options
  • 19-06-2021 5:26am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48

What would your strategy for survival be? Every time I see the movie at Christmas, that's what I'm imagining myself on board. One thing you could do would be to jump into the water early and swim after one of the half filled life boats. There's no way they could refuse you.

Would it be possible to make a raft with all the materials around you? that is if you could find a hammer and nails. I honestly reckon I could do this with no bother at all, if I had 2 hours. Although when people would see you putting your raft in the water some people would probably try and hop on too. You would need something like rope and something as an oar, and you'd be absolutely fine if you got into the water soon enough to avoid the suction from the stern going down.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭Rawr

What would your strategy for survival be? Every time I see the movie at Christmas, that's what I'm imagining myself on board. One thing you could do would be to jump into the water early and swim after one of the half filled life boats. There's no way they could refuse you.

Would it be possible to make a raft with all the materials around you? that is if you could find a hammer and nails. I honestly reckon I could do this with no bother at all, if I had 2 hours. Although when people would see you putting your raft in the water some people would probably try and hop on too. You would need something like rope and something as an oar, and you'd be absolutely fine if you got into the water soon enough to avoid the suction from the stern going down.

What killed most people that night was the extreme cold of the water. Once in the water you'd have minutes to live. Even a good few of those who got away in a lifeboat died from exposure before rescue came.

If you built a raft out of stuff, it would have to be really very good. At least good enough to isolate you from that frozen water. My own thinking is that if I were stuck there I'd go to the side of the ship that wasn't as pushed about who was getting into lifeboats and leave that way.

But that's me knowing how history plays out....if I didn't it's impossible to tell how I'd cope with such a chaotic disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

is there anything to be said for another mass

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭Rawr

PeteEd wrote: »
    is there anything to be said for another mass

No....we don't want a repeat of the Sealink Incident.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Hint of Sarcasm

Rawr wrote: »
    What killed most people that night was the extreme cold of the water. Once in the water you'd have minutes to live. Even a good few of those who got away in a lifeboat died from exposure before rescue came.
    You'd survive long enough in it to swim a 100 yards after a life boat. Once you'd get on board it, you could then off all your clothes.
    Rawr wrote: »
    If you built a raft out of stuff, it would have to be really very good. At least good enough to isolate you from that frozen water.
    Well, that's what I'm saying. The water was very calm that night anyway. I'd rather build a raft and survive that way and thereby not have to live with the shame of having boarded a life boat as a male.

If I got wet I could always take off all my clothes once on board my raft.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Be right back

A door with room for one will do me just fine!!

• Advertisement

I'd walk purposefully to the bridge to have some strong words with the Captain and get his assurance that this will not affect the rest of the trip, which, I would remind him, I had already paid for. Then I'd probably look for some finger food, take it to comfortable corner on deck and sob quietly while I waited for a rescue airship to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Would ripping up a bath ( and blocking up the plug hole) been an option. Would a bath float???

In the movie... there seems to be hours between hitting the iceberg and finally sinking. So there would be time to work on pulling out a bath and getting it ready for sail. !!!!

Problem with the bath idea is that the floating candles would attract attack seagulls and the bottle of wine would attract bees. You could be bitten and stung to death by the time you were 'rescued.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

You'd survive long enough in it to swim a 100 yards after a life boat. Once you'd get on board it, you could then off all your clothes.
    Well, that's what I'm saying. The water was very calm that night anyway. I'd rather build a raft and survive that way and thereby not have to live with the shame of having boarded a life boat as a male.

If I got wet I could always take off all my clothes once on board my raft.

by swimming you would use up valuable energy that would be used to keep vital organs functioning plus the vast majority of people couldn't swim 100 yrds in ideal conditions never mind fully clothed in freezing cold water . If you did manage to get out of water , how would you keep warm and dry your wet clothes . one of the first thing's you are thought in sea survival is not to swim and curl up in a ball to conserve energy/heat

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Blud

by swimming you would use up valuable energy that would be used to keep vital organs functioning plus the vast majority of people couldn't swim 100 yrds in ideal conditions never mind fully clothed in freezing cold water . If you did manage to get out of water , how would you keep warm and dry your wet clothes . one of the first thing's you are thought in sea survival is not to swim and curl up in a ball to conserve energy/heat

I'm not sure a strategy of curling up in a ball in the sea smacks to me of sea survival. I'd be looking for a refund on that course.

I'd have dressed in drag and jumped in a lifeboat as a woman. Simple.

Live with shame or die with honour. Honour gets you nowhere. Out of my way Winslet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Find life boat 6 ...the portside. Im female and only one man was permitted to board the entirety of the lifeboat fleet on the port side. Even though there were many empty seats left ...historically the most empty seats were on life boat 6.

The only reason that one man was allowed was because he had rowing experience and they were worried the women and children couldn't row.

Also despite only allowing women and children on the portside (because of bungled instructions) ...more than half of all the children on board still died.

If you are a guy ...you have to go starboard side or you are dead.

Its a myth that they locked third class passengers below. They didn't.

But the crew were dumb and had no idea how to evacuate people properly and hadn't rehearsed it. They also didn't know how to lower the boats properly. Even though there were only enough for a third on board ....the life boards only had like 700 out of 1100 seats filled when launched.

By the way ..the lifeboats weren't even about the cost ..the boat cost 7 million ...the extra boats would be about 16k ...it was just stupidity and oversight.

The crew didn't even fire distress signals correctly.

If you don't get a life boat ....you die ..or take your chances in the water ...

If you took the warnings seriously and listened to the crew (which many didn't ) you probably would get a life boat ...they left half empty.

Unfortunately the fact that some of the boats were mostly children and then some women meant no one could row without men.

Its why you need daddies on life boats! Who is gonna row??

I mean it was like they PLANNED to **** up. It was a mess.

You all work together in a co ordinated way ....you get teamwork.

You can sail like a viking.

Blud wrote: »
    I'm not sure a strategy of curling up in a ball in the sea smacks to me of sea survival. I'd be looking for a refund on that course.

I'd have dressed in drag and jumped in a lifeboat as a woman. Simple.

Live with shame or die with honour. Honour gets you nowhere. Out of my way Winslet
    You wouldn't need to ....

Just go to the starboard side ....they let men on that side. And the boats left half empty that side too. Like LITERALLY at half capacity. It was only portside that they refused the men.

All you had to do ...was LISTEN to the crew and go promptly. Which many did not do. Reports say they continued dancing and laughing up until the boat was listing.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kalych

The main problem with 'building a raft'-type idea the way i see it is in how to then release it into the water safely:

1. If you have the raft on deck and just wait for the ship to sink slowly and the rising water to eventually get the raft to float, you're more than likely going to be pulled under water as you won't be able to get far enough away from the sinking ship in time. All that while fighting off other people who might decide that their life is more important than yours once they see you found a viable floating device.

2. If you try and quickly drop a raft from a highly elevated top deck into the waters below it'll probably not stay in one piece due to the impact with water. Or hit the side of the ship and turn sideways before hitting the water and likely sink or fall apart.

How do you gently lower your raft down while the ship is engulfed in panic but not fully sunk to have the time to peddle away before it fully sinks?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Make a raft out of lifeboats.

Surely a lifeboat would contain enough high quality lumber to make a raft ?

Sky King wrote: »
    Make a raft out of lifeboats.

Surely a lifeboat would contain enough high quality lumber to make a raft ?

NOICE

:cool: Lets burn the lifeboats to break up the wood!

And to think they called me THICK at school. Look at me now!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I'd push Kate Winslet off her bit of debris and float on that.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

I'd push Kate Winslet off her bit of debris and float on that.
    I would have robbed her as soon as she came down into third class!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

I’d try and track Kate Winslet down and see if she’d let me have a wee paw of those milky fulsome breasts with those pert pert nips before I departed my mortal coil

Piehead wrote: »
    I’d try and track Kate Winslet down and see if she’d let me have a wee paw of those milky fulsome breasts with those pert pert nips before I departed my mortal coil
    Grand I'll have his seat!

Do you know there were 120 Irish on board and all of them were in third class.

And only one survived ....even thought they weren't locked in. But no member of the crew came to warn them. It was a 16 yr old girl who came up to see what was going on. And she was the ONLY SINGLE PERSON ...RIGHT THE ONLY SINGLE PERSON ....on the WHOLE Of the titanic ...to bring BLANKETS.

I think the rest of us were drunk down there obv. Or burning lifeboats to make rafts!

Only 25% of those in third class survived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

And she was the ONLY SINGLE PERSON ...RIGHT THE ONLY SINGLE PERSON ....on the WHOLE Of the titanic ...to bring BLANKETS.

I presume they were taken off her and given to some Billy Zane type 1st class passenger?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

The thing with there not being enough lifeboats, this was common at the time. Lifeboats were seen more as something to ferry passengers from one ship to another, in the event that ship was in trouble.

Also, I think there was something about it being a myth about being sucked down - I read something somewhere that said if were on the stern as it went under you could literally hop off into the water and not get pulled down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

And only one survived ....even thought they weren't locked in. But no member of the crew came to warn them. It was a 16 yr old girl who came up to see what was going on. And she was the ONLY SINGLE PERSON ...RIGHT THE ONLY SINGLE PERSON ....on the WHOLE Of the titanic ...to bring BLANKETS.

I think the rest of us were drunk down there obv. Or burning lifeboats to make rafts!

Violet Jessop was an Irish nurse (well her parents were Irish), she survived the sinking, and the sinking of the Titanic's sister ship as well. In fact I think if you saw her on board it was probably best to nab a life jacket early.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It was half two in the morning

Most of them had been at it since the night before it left Southampton

It’s difficult enough to get out of bed to have a p1ss in that condition let alone escape a sinking ship

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Just googled it there.....

A lightweight wooden door (made of pine) would suffice.

Teak or oak are too heavy.

So a kind of cheapo Ikea door might work.

Another question - in a world of total equality, would women still insist on being saved first? A feminist's nightmare decision.

Violet Jessop was an Irish nurse (well here parents were Irish), she survived the sinking, and the sinking of the Titanic's sister ship as well. In fact I think if you saw her on board it was probably best to nab a life jacket early.
    NO WAY!:pac:

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Another question - in a world of total equality, would women still insist on being saved first? A feminist's nightmare decision.

Hardly. Feminists see women as being more valuable than men. Now, if they were egalitarians, then they might care, although i suspect few would be objecting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hardly. Feminists see women as being more valuable than men. Now, if they were egalitarians, then they might care, although i suspect few would be objecting.

Untrue, but I knew someone would be along to blame women.

spurious wrote: »
    Untrue, but I knew someone would be along to blame women.

Nothing I wrote "blames" women. It's a simple fact. Feminism is not about equality, which is what the OP referred to. A world of total equality. Feminism is about women's rights, not equality... hence why I mentioned Egalitarianism, which is about equality. And all you need to do is read a variety of feminism blogs or literature, and it's easy to see that women are perceived , by feminists, as being more valuable than men.

But then I knew someone would be along to misrepresent what was posted to make women into victims. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Good old Violet was also aboard the Olympic (a 3rd sister ship to the Titanic and the Britannic) when it crashed into a British Warship a year before the Titanic sank....just getting some practice in.

Advertisement