Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If you failed to get to a life boat on the Titanic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭beerguts

I'd lure one of the watch officers to a cabin under the pretense that I had found a women unconscious. As he entered the room I would strangle him with my bow tie. Here I would the strip him don his clothes and then take command of one of the life rafts and its occupants as it crewmember ment to keep the craft safe.

From here my plan would escalate. I would have to assume the officers identity while awaiting rescue by the RMS Carpathia. I would avoid deep conversations with the remaining survivors from the titanic and try and not address any queries from the rescue vessels crew in regard my total ignorance of nautical matters. This would be accomplished by feigning trauma leaving me mute. Once safely docked in New York I would slip away into the crowd and proceed to the new england region where I would reinvent myself and assume a new identity as a woodsman in Maine.

That gentlemen and ladies is how I would survive.

beerguts wrote: »
    I'd lure one of the watch officers to a cabin under the pretense that I had found a women unconscious. As he entered the room I would strangle him with my bow tie. Here I would the strip him don his clothes and then take command of one of the life rafts and its occupants as it crewmember ment to keep the craft safe.

From here my plan would escalate. I would have to assume the officers identity while awaiting rescue by the RMS Carpathia. I would avoid deep conversations with the remaining survivors from the titanic and try and not address any queries from the rescue vessels crew in regard my total ignorance of nautical matters. This would be accomplished by feigning trauma leaving me mute. Once safely docked in New York I would slip away into the crowd and proceed to the new england region where I would reinvent myself and assume a new identity as a woodsman in Maine.

That gentlemen and ladies is how I would survive.

Ahhh but its easy to make a plan...there would be some point in the 'film' where someone vulnerable would approach you for help....how would you handle to that?

Honest to God I would do my best to get out of there but I would hope that I didn't have to lose my humanity in the process...and if it came to that decision I would hope that I would chose humanity over life!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Hint of Sarcasm

Its a scary thing. Ships going down and the water is freezing cold. All you can do i guess is to grab something you think would float and jump over.
    Or you could build a raft.

If you were on the Titanic with miraculous foresight of how history pans out it would be fairly easy to survive. Be ready at the first lifeboat to launch with a packed lunch and lots of blankets.

In reality without knowing how things would go, you'd take the crews advice and go back to bed, probably a little annoyed at the panicking fools disturbing your sleep. When you inevitably woke up later with the ship listing worryingly and everyone screaming, you'd try to get up on deck in your slippers and nightgown and more than likely go down with the ship like everyone else who believed the crew when they said it was nothing.
    Are you sure the crew actually said that? I thought the problem was that people didn't believe the crew. I think maybe the crew explained that the life jackets were just as a precaution. And the other problem I heard was that a general alarm wasn't sounded by Captain Smith.

• Advertisement

Can't believe no one climbed onto the iceberg and built an igloo.
    You're hands would more than likely freeze in place at first touch, and you'd be stuck to its vertical face until your dead body would melt off several hours later.

I can't say for sure what would happen if you tried to jump off the ship and onto the iceberg at the moment of impact. It would the speed and the shape of the ice berg. You' could well end up falling down between the ship and the iceberg and dying before you'd hit the water!
    Live on penguins and water until rescued
    You're thinking of the wrong hemisphere.

I think passerby is right.,..you see it all the time...fire alarm goes off in the workplace...people want to believe it's nothing!!!

I always take anything like thatseriously and am like the conspiracy theorist when things like that happen lol but **** that...that's how people survived the twin towers etc little fast actions to get out,!!

I just say "fcuk this" and go head first into the propeller as the ship sank.

BduHFF.gif
    I'm not too sure that the stern went completely vertical, before going under, as in the movie.

Jumping in early has been shown time and time again to be a deadly error in such scenarios, a ship of that size going under is absolutely dragging your ass with it if you are beside it at the start. Humans can only take about 30 metres at best. Your average person far less.
    You're forgetting one thing. If you jumped in early, you'd have two and a half hours to swim away from the ship. The only danger of being sucked down was after it cracked in two. And by then there was only something like 5 minutes left anyway.

Sure there'd be a bit of a wave from the suction, but it wouldn't be enough to topple my raft. I would wait at the bow of the ship for the water to come up and row away calmly to the other lifeboats. I'd then tie myself on to one of these boats with my rope. Simple as that.
    They could and probable would absolutely refuse you. They left you behind in the first place!
    How could a half full lifeboat refuse someone??? Come one! It would not happen. The majority of passengers would have sympathy and let you in.
    Your hammer and nails. Are these objects commonly found on cruise liner passenger sections?
    If I had two hours to put my mind to it... with all the materials there would be around; then yeah, I'd come up with something.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Ride on the back of a humpback whale to Norway... :pac:

• Advertisement

I'd lure one of the watch officers to a cabin under the pretense that I had found a women unconscious. As he entered the room I would strangle him with my bow tie. Here I would the strip him don his clothes and then take command of one of the life rafts and its occupants
    Could you actually do that? And live with it? I don't think it would work for several reasons anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Titanic, real time sinking. Video is a bit eerie to watch. You have about 2 and a bit hours to get yourself ready.

How could a half full lifeboat refuse someone??? Come one! It would not happen. The majority of passengers would have sympathy and let you in.
    You're forgetting one thing. If you jumped in early, you'd have two and a half hours to swim away from the ship. The only danger of being sucked down was after it cracked in two. And after that there was only something like 5 minutes left anyway.

Sure there'd be a bit of a wave from the suction, but it wouldn't be enough to topple my raft. I would wait at the bow of the ship for the water to come up and row away calmly to the other lifeboats. I'd then tie myself on to one of these boats with my rope. Simple as that.
    If I had two hours to put my mind to it... with all the materials there would be around; then yeah, I'd come up with something.

You wouldn't be able to splash around more than a couple of minutes in that freezing water, as others have pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭delboythedub

PeteEd wrote: »
    is there anything to be said for another mass

In the Bar

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What was the movie where they escaped from a prison and had to swim in extreme cold waters? Anyway, they covered themselves in grease then wrapped themselves in clingfilm. This could potentially extend the time it would have taken for you to freeze to death in the water and increase your chances of getting picked up.

You think they had cling film prior to its invention?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭Rawr

JupiterKid wrote: »

Gracie is pregnant...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Can't believe no one climbed onto the iceberg and built an igloo. Live on penguins and water until rescued

Green or red ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

lawred2 wrote: »
    You think they had cling film prior to its invention?

Good point ha ha, so maybe some kind of tarp maybe.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

JupiterKid wrote: »

Are you willing to stand between a Norwegian harpoon and a whale? Brave man...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i'd scour the decks looking for Kate Winslet and see if she's up for a quick nude sketch ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

Are you sure the crew actually said that? I thought the problem was that people didn't believe the crew. I think maybe the crew explained that the life jackets were just as a precaution. And the other problem I heard was that a general alarm wasn't sounded by Captain Smith.

I can't claim to be an expert on it so I'm not sure that the crew downplayed the seriousness. I did hear/read somewhere that the first lifeboats launched were only half full because there was a genuine belief that evacuating was an overreaction and they'd be rowing back after an hour or two and when the crisis was over. But I don't know where this info came from.

If the alarm wasn't properly sounded by the Captain there may have been confusion over what the official prognosis was.

• Advertisement

Olivia2 wrote: »
    Ahhh but its easy to make a plan...there would be some point in the 'film' where someone vulnerable would approach you for help....how would you handle to that?

That would require some improvisation on my part. I think my best strategy in this situation would be aggression towards the person. If they asked me for help I would have to show them comtemp and pretend that there concerns are insignificant compared to what I would be pretending to be doing.

Could you actually do that? And live with it? I don't think it would work for several reasons anyway.

I have never lived through a desperate event like so it is impossible to say whether I could actually do the dead as described. However as a human I have the ability to rationalize behavior when my own self preservation is at stake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Rip up something that floats, get a rope and tie it to a lifeboat. Eat a cheeseboard and wait to be rescued.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'd walk purposefully to the bridge to have some strong words with the Captain and get his assurance that this will not affect the rest of the trip, which, I would remind him, I had already paid for. Then I'd probably look for some finger food, take it to comfortable corner on deck and sob quietly while I waited for a rescue airship to arrive.

Karen’s body was found years later locked in a room adjacent to the bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Identify as a woman. That way you can't be denied a place on the lifeboats.

The trans men will be tested to the limits !

That would require some improvisation on my part. I think my best strategy in this situation would be aggression towards the person. If they asked me for help I would have to show them comtemp and pretend that there concerns are insignificant compared to what I would be pretending to be doing.

I've been watching Black Summer, a show about a zombie apocalypse. It's ok. Anyway people get into trouble where they need to escape, think and act fast and your strategy is the strategy of the majority of people in it. They all **** each other over and are reluctant to help anyone. It makes for some interesting scenarios. It can also create problems that would not occur. Your strategy will be relying heavily on others to behave more humanly than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

I think we are all missing the elephant in the room here!

The industrial North ( mainly protestant/Unionist) built and set this ship on its way. Everyone on board had a belief that it would reach its destination.

If Michael O'Leary was in charge of that operation, nobody on board would have taken a chance on getting anywhere near their desired destination!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,568 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

These would have been great

0Cl59MfqnsgEEjYzC+oKhaI7gAdcdS4OGUPEfX99YA+Jltp9XuAimrvCAAAA==

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

Based on my current standing in the levels of class I wouldn’t have a hope of getting on a boat

So to the bar and get loaded with whiskey and enjoy my last few minutes alive

• Advertisement

Olivia2 wrote: »
    I've been watching Black Summer, a show about a zombie apocalypse. It's ok. Anyway people get into trouble where they need to escape, think and act fast and your strategy is the strategy of the majority of people in it. They all **** each other over and are reluctant to help anyone. It makes for some interesting scenarios. It can also create problems that would not occur. Your strategy will be relying heavily on others to behave more humanly than you.

No argument with any of that. But I think it is a better option that trying to be brave and enter the north Atlantic. When resources are scarce it really is every man for himself. That's my take on it anyway

Advertisement