Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you failed to get to a life boat on the Titanic?

Comments

What would your strategy for survival be? Every time I see the movie at Christmas, that's what I'm imagining myself on board. One thing you could do would be to jump into the water early and swim after one of the half filled life boats. There's no way they could refuse you.

Would it be possible to make a raft with all the materials around you? that is if you could find a hammer and nails. I honestly reckon I could do this with no bother at all, if I had 2 hours. Although when people would see you putting your raft in the water some people would probably try and hop on too. You would need something like rope and something as an oar, and you'd be absolutely fine if you got into the water soon enough to avoid the suction from the stern going down.

They could and probable would absolutely refuse you. They left you behind in the first place!

Jumping in early has been shown time and time again to be a deadly error in such scenarios, a ship of that size going under is absolutely dragging your ass with it if you are beside it at the start. Humans can only take about 30 metres at best. Your average person far less.

Your hammer and nails. Are these objects commonly found on cruise liner passenger sections? Assuming they are then I guess you could probable put something together. Would it survive the plunge though?

At a stab, a vest and a floating object is probable all you couold achieve. In those conditions its unlikely that anyone going into the water would survive even if they got back out though unless one of the rafts provided a blanket or dry clothing.

Perhaps a closed object? Trunk or similar?
    Mythbusters tested it with a tug boat that they could sink on command. They weren't sucked down if my memory is correct.

The size of the object is possible the most important aspect. A tug compared to the Titanic. Did the tug pull down a mouse that was beside it at the start?

Mind you, I would have told that fecking slapper to move the **** over as well. Jack died because she refused to sit in the lifeboat!

ASSUMING I'M NOT LOCKED IN like most of the 3rd class souls....

Story

Mr xiann, 49, was a single 3rd class male Passenger that boarded at Queenstown after disembarking the train from Dublin Kingsbridge which he got the previous day. Out on deck when the collision occurred. He was a curious type and artfully hung around to see how the story would unfold.

After being denied any lifeboat point blank because of his 3rd class ticket, and his Dublin accent, xiann stepped into the water after 60 minutes. xiann had learned to swim a little bit by swimming twice before, once age 35 and then age 36 with his cousin mic who was a farm labourer in lough corrib, for his 5am morning proverbial.
    Now the water was much cder.
    xiann swam for the nearest iceberg he could camber onto........ He was feeling VERY COLD AND Tired at this point.........

The locked away story has been firmly debunked.

He was an adult male, considering the shortage of lifeboats, he probable should have been refused

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭pummice

Get your hands on some engine grease, vaseline, stuff like that. Cover your body in it and that will give you extra time if you are in the water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,350 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

This. I think some dude actually survived this way. I'd drink every drop of top shelf whiskey I could find.

1. Drink as much whiskey as possible.
    2.????????????
    3. Wake up on rescue boat.

It was the head chef I think who necked a bottle of top shelf and yeah it helped him survive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

pummice wrote: »
    Get your hands on some engine grease, vaseline, stuff like that. Cover your body in it and that will give you extra time if you are in the water

Meanwhile you drown while searching a huge ship for industrial size quantities of these items.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I just say "fcuk this" and go head first into the propeller as the ship sank.

BduHFF.gif

Can't believe no one climbed onto the iceberg and built an igloo. Live on penguins and water until rescued

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

I'd first of all fill my belly with brandy to keep my insides warm then as I enter the water swim to the nearest lifeboat all the time hiding my irish accent as I call out as the boat may be full of posh types who might not want a mick onboard.."Help my name is Samuel Smithers from kent please save me" would be my cry

That'd be the way I'd play it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It was the head chef I think who necked a bottle of top shelf and yeah it helped him survive.

Yes and set a big fire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

Didnt know there was so many Titanic anoraks. Fairplay

Didnt know there was so many Titanic anoraks. Fairplay

Yes the great ship that couldn't sink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,676 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Can't believe no one climbed onto the iceberg and built an igloo. Live on penguins and water until rescued

a ship like that just doesnt stop, it would have gone on for a mile

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I don't think Penguins had been in-in-invented yet. You'd have to make do with cake. Kendle mint cake.

And an anorak of course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 Onion Bahji

Often thought about this and what I've realised would be the best thing to do is wrap yourself in a ton of blankets and duvets and fabrics and clothes etc. and then simply jump overboard. The blankets will keep you warm and also prevent you from sinking. You can continue calling out repeatedly until someone aboard a lifeboat decides to take pity on you and give you a seat.

Often thought about this and what I've realised would be the best thing to do is wrap yourself in a ton of blankets and duvets and fabrics and clothes etc. and then simply jump overboard. The blankets will keep you warm and also prevent you from sinking. You can continue calling out repeatedly until someone aboard a lifeboat decides to take pity on you and give you a seat.

:confused:

• Advertisement

On a beach maybe.... In water, they tend to get wet, heavy and you will sink like a big stone.

silverharp wrote: »
    a ship like that just doesnt stop, it would have gone on for a mile

You could have swam back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Penguins live in the south Pole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

What was the movie where they escaped from a prison and had to swim in extreme cold waters? Anyway, they covered themselves in grease then wrapped themselves in clingfilm. This could potentially extend the time it would have taken for you to freeze to death in the water and increase your chances of getting picked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

There are no penguins in the North Atlantic, you might find a seal or two, use their skins for clothes and their fat for burning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,735 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Violet Jessop was an Irish nurse (well here parents were Irish), she survived the sinking, and the sinking of the Titanic's sister ship as well. In fact I think if you saw her on board it was probably best to nab a life jacket early.

Ah here:
    In addition, she had been onboard RMS Olympic, the eldest of the three sister ships, when it collided with a British warship, HMS Hawke, in 1911

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,735 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

That's probably not the best idea tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Doublebusy

Find a dress "size xl"
    Look for a wig "brown and curly"
    Size 10 heels "something comfy"
    And go to lifeboat 6 and say "im a lady"

Picture little Britain David Williams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,809 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d say unless you got a lifeboat out of there you are fûcked...

If you had the skill and ingenuity to rig a raft from ripping out a bath say and plugging it up....you have to get it from below deck to up, outside and down into the water..... unlikely you’d have the opportunity to escape the titanic without being set upon by lunatics desperate for a way out themselves.

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    There are no penguins in the North Atlantic, you might find a seal or two, use their skins for clothes and their fat for burning.
    deise08 wrote: »
    Penguins live in the south Pole.

Lads, we're looking for solutions, not obstacles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Lads, we're looking for solutions, not obstacles.

Hence the seals, obstacle identified, solution provided.

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Hence the seals, obstacle identified, solution provided.

Positive attitude
    You'd have survived

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭arctictree

Do you know there were 120 Irish on board and all of them were in third class.

Sorry but this is inaccurate. Just off the top of my head, wasn't Thomas Andrews Jr on board?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,471 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I would just tie a rope off the back of a life boat and water ski after them to safety.

Half-read thread.. apologies if it's already been brought up but men before women and children was mostly a fabrication...

https://qz.com/321827/women-and-children-first-is-a-maritime-disaster-myth-its-really-every-man-for-himself/

• Advertisement

Anyway....I know for a fact that I would already be on one of those life boats because when I was around 11...I got stuck on a boat in hollyhead...that couldn't dock for whatever reason and we got stung for 24 hours on the boat...

So with my inquisitive mind...at the time...I heard people talking about getting a free meal... had to go back to gather my people's (my dad, brother and his pal lol) and we kind of skipped the queue... technically we didnt skip the queue...I was wandering around there earlier but had to run back to get my people's lol.

Anyway the point is...I hear things early on lol :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Hint of Sarcasm

Masala wrote: »
    Would ripping up a bath ( and blocking up the plug hole) been an option. Would a bath float???
    And you'd be sure enough that the bath wouldn't capsize?
    Masala wrote: »
    In the movie... there seems to be hours between hitting the iceberg and finally sinking. So there would be time to work on pulling out a bath and getting it ready for sail. !!!!
    2 hours and 45 minutes in real life I believe.

by swimming you would use up valuable energy that would be used to keep vital organs functioning plus the vast majority of people couldn't swim 100 yrds in ideal conditions never mind fully clothed in freezing cold water . If you did manage to get out of water , how would you keep warm and dry your wet clothes . one of the first thing's you are thought in sea survival is not to swim and curl up in a ball to conserve energy/heat
    You're right; I'd take off most of my clothes before jumping in instead! Someone on the life boat would have to give me some of their clothes... surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Titanic, real time sinking. Video is a bit eerie to watch. You have about 2 and a bit hours to get yourself ready.

kalych wrote: »
    The main problem with 'building a raft'-type idea the way i see it is in how to then release it into the water safely:

If you have the raft on deck and just wait for the ship to sink slowly and the rising water to eventually get the raft to float, you're more than likely going to be pulled under water as you won't be able to get far enough away from the sinking ship in time. All that while fighting off other people who might decide that their life is more important than yours once they see you found a viable floating device.
    If you waited at the bow for the water to rise, you'd be fine. Think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Olivia2 wrote: »
    Half-read thread.. apologies if it's already been brought up but men before women and children was mostly a fabrication...

https://qz.com/321827/women-and-children-first-is-a-maritime-disaster-myth-its-really-every-man-for-himself/
    It isn't ENTIRELY a fabrication. But its more complex.

On the titanic as in most disasters the crew fared the best they are in control and look after themselves.

What happened is for one side of the boat ..men were allowed to board and the other only if there were no women and children around.

BUT ....what happened was the crew were less enthused about getting 2nd and 3rd class passengers to the lifeboats and about warning them.

The FIRST CLASS women made it on par with the guys. But the second class and third class women and children ...they were saved in far fewer numbers than their male counterparts...in fact the 3rd class and second class children did the worst over all.

The biggest difference in what groups did well ..was between the first class and third class women. There was a lesser difference between the first class men and the third class men.

But yes ...society liked to pretend back then that men were chivalrous and protective.

Its funny out of all the first class passengers ....only 4 willingly as far as i know choose to remain to give their seat to a child or someone young.

Its simplistic to say that women were put first ...because on the starboard side men could board just fine. They did make efforts to put women and children first on the port side ...but it only seemed to apply to FIRST class women.

Actually second and third class men did waaay better than the women or children in 2nd and 3rd class.

Your interpretation of feminism isn't, necessarily, the correct one.
    Feminism, as I understand it, is about gaining equal rights and opportunities for women.

I struggle with the word feminist and would prefer the word egalitarian too but the rise of feminism must be viewed in the context of the appalling lack of rights and opportunities available to women at the time.

I don't think you get to decide what feminism means.
    So you'd try and build a raft too?

AllForIt wrote: »
    I would have picked up a child and pleaded with the crew that I was it's only hope.
    Except Billy Zane thought of that first, so we're all aware of that option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Im a mermaid with ice cold blood ....sorted.

• Advertisement

It isn't ENTIRELY a fabrication. But its more complex.

On the titanic as in most disasters the crew fared the best they are in control and look after themselves.

What happened is for one side of the boat ..men were allowed to board and the other only if there were no women and children around.

BUT ....what happened was the crew were less enthused about getting 2nd and 3rd class passengers to the lifeboats and about warning them.

The FIRST CLASS women made it on par with the guys. But the second class and third class women and children ...they were saved in far fewer numbers than their male counterparts...in fact the 3rd class and second class children did the worst over all.

The biggest difference in what groups did well ..was between the first class and third class women. There was a lesser difference between the first class men and the third class men.

But yes ...society liked to pretend back then that men were chivalrous and protective.

Its funny out of all the first class passengers ....only 4 willingly as far as i know choose to remain to give their seat to a child or someone young.

Its simplistic to say that women were put first ...because on the starboard side men could board just fine. They did make efforts to put women and children first on the port side ...but it only seemed to apply to FIRST class women.

Actually second and third class men did waaay better than the women or children in 2nd and 3rd class.

It's provoking and tbh quite annoying when you hear that but the majority of history taught is BS anyway...

No joke..ended up in an argument years ago...standing outside a pub and i'd be slim on my history knowledge....got chatting to these two oulfellas (they wouldn't like that description lol) about how the famine was basically a result of the English as they'd taken our meat/fish industry - anyway they told me out straight 'no no it wasnt' - so found out later they're two high profile history lecturers with whatever college...and lol people on here before were slagging me for going to an IT lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭beerguts

I'd lure one of the watch officers to a cabin under the pretense that I had found a women unconscious. As he entered the room I would strangle him with my bow tie. Here I would the strip him don his clothes and then take command of one of the life rafts and its occupants as it crewmember ment to keep the craft safe.

From here my plan would escalate. I would have to assume the officers identity while awaiting rescue by the RMS Carpathia. I would avoid deep conversations with the remaining survivors from the titanic and try and not address any queries from the rescue vessels crew in regard my total ignorance of nautical matters. This would be accomplished by feigning trauma leaving me mute. Once safely docked in New York I would slip away into the crowd and proceed to the new england region where I would reinvent myself and assume a new identity as a woodsman in Maine.

That gentlemen and ladies is how I would survive.

beerguts wrote: »
    I'd lure one of the watch officers to a cabin under the pretense that I had found a women unconscious. As he entered the room I would strangle him with my bow tie. Here I would the strip him don his clothes and then take command of one of the life rafts and its occupants as it crewmember ment to keep the craft safe.

From here my plan would escalate. I would have to assume the officers identity while awaiting rescue by the RMS Carpathia. I would avoid deep conversations with the remaining survivors from the titanic and try and not address any queries from the rescue vessels crew in regard my total ignorance of nautical matters. This would be accomplished by feigning trauma leaving me mute. Once safely docked in New York I would slip away into the crowd and proceed to the new england region where I would reinvent myself and assume a new identity as a woodsman in Maine.

That gentlemen and ladies is how I would survive.

Ahhh but its easy to make a plan...there would be some point in the 'film' where someone vulnerable would approach you for help....how would you handle to that?

Honest to God I would do my best to get out of there but I would hope that I didn't have to lose my humanity in the process...and if it came to that decision I would hope that I would chose humanity over life!!!

Its a scary thing. Ships going down and the water is freezing cold. All you can do i guess is to grab something you think would float and jump over.
    Or you could build a raft.

If you were on the Titanic with miraculous foresight of how history pans out it would be fairly easy to survive. Be ready at the first lifeboat to launch with a packed lunch and lots of blankets.

In reality without knowing how things would go, you'd take the crews advice and go back to bed, probably a little annoyed at the panicking fools disturbing your sleep. When you inevitably woke up later with the ship listing worryingly and everyone screaming, you'd try to get up on deck in your slippers and nightgown and more than likely go down with the ship like everyone else who believed the crew when they said it was nothing.
    Are you sure the crew actually said that? I thought the problem was that people didn't believe the crew. I think maybe the crew explained that the life jackets were just as a precaution. And the other problem I heard was that a general alarm wasn't sounded by Captain Smith.

• Advertisement

Can't believe no one climbed onto the iceberg and built an igloo.
    You're hands would more than likely freeze in place at first touch, and you'd be stuck to its vertical face until your dead body would melt off several hours later.

I can't say for sure what would happen if you tried to jump off the ship and onto the iceberg at the moment of impact. It would the speed and the shape of the ice berg. You' could well end up falling down between the ship and the iceberg and dying before you'd hit the water!
    Live on penguins and water until rescued
    You're thinking of the wrong hemisphere.

I think passerby is right.,..you see it all the time...fire alarm goes off in the workplace...people want to believe it's nothing!!!

I always take anything like thatseriously and am like the conspiracy theorist when things like that happen lol but **** that...that's how people survived the twin towers etc little fast actions to get out,!!

I just say "fcuk this" and go head first into the propeller as the ship sank.

BduHFF.gif
    I'm not too sure that the stern went completely vertical, before going under, as in the movie.

Jumping in early has been shown time and time again to be a deadly error in such scenarios, a ship of that size going under is absolutely dragging your ass with it if you are beside it at the start. Humans can only take about 30 metres at best. Your average person far less.
    You're forgetting one thing. If you jumped in early, you'd have two and a half hours to swim away from the ship. The only danger of being sucked down was after it cracked in two. And by then there was only something like 5 minutes left anyway.

Sure there'd be a bit of a wave from the suction, but it wouldn't be enough to topple my raft. I would wait at the bow of the ship for the water to come up and row away calmly to the other lifeboats. I'd then tie myself on to one of these boats with my rope. Simple as that.
    They could and probable would absolutely refuse you. They left you behind in the first place!
    How could a half full lifeboat refuse someone??? Come one! It would not happen. The majority of passengers would have sympathy and let you in.
    Your hammer and nails. Are these objects commonly found on cruise liner passenger sections?
    If I had two hours to put my mind to it... with all the materials there would be around; then yeah, I'd come up with something.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Ride on the back of a humpback whale to Norway... :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement