Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Next Mass Effect

• 11-12-2020 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 29,437 ✭✭✭✭

No idea of release date yet but hopefully not too many years off.

Dev said there's a lot to unpack in this trailer starting with the 2 galaxies shown at the start. Liara? Climbing a reaper, Mass Relay and N7, mention of Ark 6 (Quarian ark lost in Andromeda), colour me excited. Still need to finish Andromeda though.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mass Effect 3 dented my enthusiasm for the series to the point where I didn't even buy Andromeda.

If this gets great reviews, I might look into it but otherwise, I'm done with this series.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Even with Andromeda not being that good, i'd still buy this in a second. Very happy to see Liara and the N7 badge at the end :)

Clearly a follow up to the original trilogy anyway, so it'll be interesting to see how they handle the "choice" at the end of the 3rd game. I assume they'll pick a canon ending, and just go with that? It'll be a long way off though, as they don't even have a name yet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Kiith wrote: »
    Even with Andromeda not being that good, i'd still buy this in a second. Very happy to see Liara and the N7 badge at the end :)

Clearly a follow up to the original trilogy anyway, so it'll be interesting to see how they handle the "choice" at the end of the 3rd game. I assume they'll pick a canon ending, and just go with that? It'll be a long way off though, as they don't even have a name yet.

I hope that they don't go down the route that Deus Ex took, Invisible War took all of the potential endings from DE and just mashed them together. That's a recipe to disappoint everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,437 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

That's the biggest question, what ending do they go with. They got away with it in Andromeda but will have to make some kind of a decision on this unless it's so far in the future (liara could be ancient) that they don't even mention the ending, who knows.

I just want Tali to be in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I guess the remaster of the originals isn't happening then, or they'd have teased something?

• Advertisement

It has to be the Destroy/Red ending. They'll retcon it so that not all synthetics were destroyed, and that was just the Reaper/Starchild trying to stop Sheppard from destroying them...or something like that.
    Mr Crispy wrote: »
    I guess the remaster of the originals isn't happening then, or they'd have teased something?
    Remastered trilogy edition is being released in 2021. Was announced a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭Varik

In Kotor 2 Obsidian they left it ambiguous but in Old republic when bioware did that they made cannon choices for the important stuff even if that was set ~100 years after kotor. Although that might have been lucas, as there were a lot a kotor books and stuff so they might not have had a choice.

The good guys will win mostly everyone will be alive, and I'd guess that the ending choice will be not one of the real ones but something new where Shepard protects the galaxy from afar using the reapers without Deus Exing everyone.

Not much faith in this as it's more likely to be bad than good.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,882 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mass Effect 3 was great, imo, until the final choice.
    Andromeda was buggy, but a fun game imo. Not the Mass Effect I wanted though, didn't feel connected to the characters, stories, side quests as much.

Will look forward to this but would assume a 2023 launch - if it is in early stages.

Spoilers for ending of the trilogy
    I forgot the Red Destruction ending asking with high enough war score means Shep survives so maybe that's canon.

Also, never copped it but dev confirmed that Liara (if it is Liara) is climbing up a snow covered Reaper in that shot in the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,085 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Big grin on my face when I saw Liara and the N7 logo.

Can't wait for it. Wonder how many of the old crew will be back and who will have been killed off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Remastered trilogy edition is being released in 2021. Was announced a few weeks ago.

Cheers, I totally missed that (or forgot)!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit excited, but certainly not to the level of a day 1 purchase.

I thought Andromeda was a poorly made, poorly thought out game, but it wasn't totally devoid of redeeming qualities or unplayable, and I'm still pretty fond of ME3.

I'd be slightly leery of bringing back the original cast of characters. I'd be concerned that they'll be a crutch that Andromeda faltered without.

As long as they bring back Liara. And Garrus...Wrex...Grunt...Legion...Tali. As long as they bring all of them back :P

Wonder if they'll do a search for Sheppard type story, where you play a new character. Have all the old squad come back at various points throughout the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Didn't realize it was Liara in the video. I actually thought it was a first look at a Quarian unmasked :o

In regards to what to do about the ending. They really backed themselves into a corner with the ME3 ending. Perhaps you will have the option to choose what choice you made in ME3 and each choice has a different timeline in the new game with different consequences.

So if you chose the destroy option, all robotic races like the Geth are gone and they won't feature in that timeline. They'll be mentioned during the course of the game but they'll be destroyed.

If you chose the control option, the Reapers are still around but there is lingering tension and animosity towards them which creates a tense atmosphere in the new timeline.

If you chose the synthesis option, all organic races are modified with cybernetic enhancements.

That's just a thought anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

As long as they bring back Liara. And Garrus...Wrex...Grunt...Legion...Tali. As long as they bring all of them back :P

Wonder if they'll do a search for Sheppard type story, where you play a new character. Have all the old squad come back at various points throughout the story.

I don't know. Mass Effect 3 is nearly a decade old now. Is it really the best they can do to bump a story they soiled with such a dire ending.

I'd be much keener for something new. Maybe even something about the human-turian wars for instance.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Didn't realize it was Liara in the video. I actually thought it was a first look at a Quarian unmasked :o

In regards to what to do about the ending. They really backed themselves into a corner with the ME3 ending. Perhaps you will have the option to choose what choice you made in ME3 and each choice has a different timeline in the new game with different consequences.

So if you chose the destroy option, all robotic races like the Geth are gone and they won't feature in that timeline. They'll be mentioned during the course of the game but they'll be destroyed.

If you chose the control option, the Reapers are still around but there is lingering tension and animosity towards them which creates a tense atmosphere in the new timeline.

If you chose the synthesis option, all organic races are modified with cybernetic enhancements.

That's just a thought anyway.

There's nothing they can't retcon themselves out of.

I think Destroy makes the most sense, because the other two would appear to have a certain degree of Utopianism built in - the biological and technological singularity for Synthesis, probably getting rid of much of the material needs of all species in the galaxy. Or Control, where there's now a controlled super-armada of death machines that would probably be a hell of a mcguffin for a series to revolve around, and certainly a gun to the galaxies head to ensure everyone keeps their noses clean. Basically it'd mean God exists and will smite anyone who steps out of line.

Both could well be interesting settings for sci-fi, but I'm not sure they'd fit the series.

They can just decide some Geth are fine, or all the Geth are fine, and come up with some technological/space magic reason why. They can even do it for the Reapers, although I'm not sure that'd be a good way to start off a new series (which I assume it would be). Not really sure what kind of enemy they could come up with that'd feel as grand as the Reapers, but also original. They tick a lot of boxes for horrible bad guys - Lovecraftian squidmonsters, who perform body-horror modifications on people, and are also utterly inscrutable, cold and uninterested in debate. They're a great many archetypes from Sci Fi - Chaos, the Borg, the Aliens, and no doubt many others, rolled into one. The Whatsitcalleds in Andromeda were a bit of a damp squib by comparison.

I don't know. Mass Effect 3 is nearly a decade old now. Is it really the best they can do to bump a story they soiled with such a dire ending.

I'd be much keener for something new. Maybe even something about the human-turian wars for instance.

I assumed the next game would be a prequel, during the Relay 314 Incident (lore nerd! :pac:), but glad they didn't. As much as i also want something new, i'd say they know that bringing back the old guard is a guaranteed way to get people invested.
    Gbear wrote: »
    There's nothing they can't retcon themselves out of.
    This is what will happen. Sheppard went with Destroy ending, and the Starchild was only saying all synthetic life would die to try and trick him...turns out Edi and the Geth are just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

The Leviathan race come back to take their place as the apex species. Conveniently they have the same mind control powers as the reapers. And look like them too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,704 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

More than likely that. Bioware can't do a story beyond copying game of thrones and the ancient evil returning that nobody wants to take seriously until it's too late. Every time.

Adyx wrote: »
    The Leviathan race come back to take their place as the apex species. Conveniently they have the same mind control powers as the reapers. And look like them too.

Basically the exact same story again with a slightly better possibility of a non-stupid ending.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Watched the video again. At 1:22 you can see Liara isn't alone.

I make out a Krogan, a Salarian, and possibly a Prothean in the distance. They could be just a random crew but if that is a Prothean it could be Javik.

Good vid here with hopes for the next ME. Agree with all of it.

After finishing the trilogy again, 3 has sky rocketed imo. I loved every second of it, even the ending choice. Every mission added so much to the overall sorry and tied up all the loose ends that it just felt like the perfect finale. Choosing red i felt was the right way to go but couldn't help feel bad for Edi and the Geth especially as I managed to broker peace and love with the Quarians on Rannoch. I was so emotional involved from playing the trilogy back to back, 63 hours in total, that i was just completely hooked by every part of 3. I'm gonna spin up Andromeda and try plough through making sure to ignore the mindless fetch quests.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,187 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I think the DLC and fixes really improved it and its now probably my favourite game of the 3.

Something to consider about the next Mass Effect game. With Andromeda being colonized, could it lead to new technology being developed that would allow easy travel between the Milky Way and Andromeda galaxies? I feel like Quantum Entanglement could probably be the key to such a thing.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Something to consider about the next Mass Effect game. With Andromeda being colonized, could it lead to new technology being developed that would allow easy travel between the Milky Way and Andromeda galaxies? I feel like Quantum Entanglement could probably be the key to such a thing.

ME:A takes place 2-300 years after ME3, so unless they include a huge time jump, it's unlikely anything will be included in the game.

Gbear wrote: »
    ME:A takes place 2-300 years after ME3, so unless they include a huge time jump, it's unlikely anything will be included in the game.

A dev said both galaxies were shown for a specific reason in the trailer though, will be interesting to see what they do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    A dev said both galaxies were shown for a specific reason in the trailer though, will be interesting to see what they do with it.

Had a read off of this the other day, she touches on how to two games could connect.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.gameinformer.com/opinions/2020/12/23/the-next-mass-effect-and-what-a-tale-of-two-galaxies-could-mean%3famp

ItsHoggie wrote: »

She has 9 playthroughs of Andromeda :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,882 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    She has 9 playthroughs of Andromeda :eek:

without even looking at the URL, I knew exactly who was going to be the author of the article. that woman loves Mass Effect, to a potentially unhealthy level!

Advertisement