Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Next Mass Effect

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, was thinking they may do a time jump, even though i'd forgotten that Andromeda was so far ahead of the original trilogy. Would allow for them to have a mostly fresh start, while still having certain characters from the first few games. Would be surprised if Sheppard isn't in it though...bit of a tease to have the N7 helmet and not have him/her.

I assume Destroy as the unofficial canon ending at this stage, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Gbear wrote: »
    ME:A takes place 2-300 years after ME3, so unless they include a huge time jump, it's unlikely anything will be included in the game.

Andromeda is 600 years after the events of ME3, but who knows when the games will actually take place. Since Liara is an Asari, her long lifespan would actually explain why she is in the trailer and she would still be alive 600 years later. The question is how they would connect both games.

Although that being said, I'm sure Mass Effect fans would probably prefer a game that focuses on events straight after ME3 and get to see Shepard's crew again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Liara, Wrex, Grunt and possibly Samara would still be around if it were 200-300 years later.

Possibly EDI too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

J. Marston wrote: »
    Liara, Wrex, Grunt and possibly Samara would still be around if it were 200-300 years later.

Possibly EDI too.

I'd say Destroy ending will be canon seeing that Liara is climbing a dead reaper and if that's the case, EDI is gonzo as well unless the catalyst was bluffing, hoping Shep would pick synthesis.

They need a new Crew with some familiar faces, just have to make them more interesting than the Andromeda crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I'd say Destroy ending will be canon seeing that Liara is climbing a dead reaper and if that's the case, EDI is gonzo as well unless the catalyst was bluffing, hoping Shep would pick synthesis.

They need a new Crew with some familiar faces, just have to make them more interesting than the Andromeda crew.

They can fudge it however they like really. I doubt they'll kill off the Geth, blow up all the mass relays or whatever. They mightn't even kill off all the Reapers.

• Advertisement

Finished Rannoch on ME3 and they mentioned how it'll be years before the Quarians can adapt to the planet but if this is set 200-300 years in the future we may see maskless Quarians.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,169 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Finished Rannoch on ME3 and they mentioned how it'll be years before the Quarians can adapt to the planet but if this is set 200-300 years in the future we may see maskless Quarians.

Hope there are enough stock photos.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

You know it's funny, people are always curious about what Quarians look like behind their masks but I've always been more curious about the Volus myself. Wouldn't mind going down to the Volus homeworld and seeing what they look like without their suits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

After Mass Effect 3 I think it's a stretch to call them the best fans in the world.

• Advertisement

Can't believe i missed the giant Geth :)

I could never get into the first one. Too much exposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well, it may not have been the first time that fans threw their toys out of the pram but it was certainly the first one I remember that was that vocal.

It is hard not to see their point however. After years of playing the games and making all your decisions over three games, the finale consisted of about 30 secs if different scenes followed by colour-shifter still picture snapshots :)

I never really gave Andromeda a chance. I bought it before all the patches came out which apparently improved it greatly but I never really took it past the first stage, it looked so bad *cough Cyberpunk 2077 cough*.

But I am looking forward to this. Just realised though. I will be at least 50 when this comes out....Jesus

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mass effect 3 had a disappointing ending but was a fine game up to that point. I've been way more disappointed with game endings though and mass effect was hardly the pinnacle of great writing in videogames. Just seemed like nerd rage to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Sigh; like most things in life, the pushback against the ending was a sentiment ruined by the most extreme and vocal minority who confirmed all the worst stereotypes of modern gamers. The ending was garbage - but primarily because the nature of the games was as a trilogy of character stories and arcs. They asked the players to invest emotional energy into liking, following and caring about an interesting cast of sapients (except the human ones, as is often the case with these SciFi tales). The "pick a colour" endings was a huge gear change that undercut the work the whole series invested.

And as a teacher once said to my class: a story can survive a bad start, but it can never survive a bad ending.

Now, that in no way shape or form justifies the Crunch, stress and hardships Bioware found themselves under to deliver that Extended Cut; all to justify the aforementioned crowd of neckbeard shítheads casually airing their 1st World Problems.

The Mass Effect universe is worth returning to though; I just wonder if the "best" solution is not to go back to another sprawling epic, and focus on smaller, more tightly-focused adventures. There would doubtless be social media whining that it wasn't exactly what was expected - but after Andromeda perhaps it's better to build something robust, and expand out over sequels or spin-offs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Just give us Mass Effect 3 multiplayer again...that was (surprisingly) fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,808 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Hopefully we won't have to have played Andromeda for this next one. Still have to play the remaster trilogy, hopefully coming to EA Access next year. But I do hope the next one is as good as my memory of the trilogy. Take their time, make something amazing. I can wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Bioware have me expecting very little at this stage, just another EA subsidiary now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

On a related note, appears like Amazon are looking at adapting Mass Effect as a TV series.

One of the company’s newest hopefuls in the arena is Mass Effect. Amazon Studios is nearing a deal to develop a series based on the best-selling sci-fi video game franchise from Electronic Arts.

Could be amazing if done right, will most likely be done wrong but damn I'd love to see a series showing the discovery in Mars and zipping through to the first contact war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

The only thing that gives me hope is that the Expanse has been handled decently.

Only flag would be ME had the benefit of a medium that could easily present any number of wild alien designs. I'd speculate that even if this got a big budget, we'd see few Salarians or Krogans in the story. Maybe the show would be about First Contact rather than the metropolitan later version we played in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Up until this year yep but trying to cram so many books into one last season is going to fail imho. From the trailers it looks like they're going to just stop with Marco's story. Probably better with a hope to do the last few books with someone else later as they have the deepest content.

As far as I can see this last season is sticking close to book 6, which would keep the parity of 1 season === 1 book. It appears they might be hinting at events starting at books 7 and onwards, but - thankfully - not rolling those events to be concurrent with the Marco arc either. I was certainly worried anyway; couldn't think of a good way they could merge those later books.

I've seen a few blogs mention it, and I think they're right: if this show happens at all, Commander Shephard should NOT be the protagonist. If they were written with an unchanging persona it probably wouldn't matter, but given they were a blank slate that encouraged "player choice", how would a script accommodate that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

So all the old star wars is gone and dusted but before that KOTOR had an official cannon that they continued off of for the books and the MMO and some star wars stuff that wasn't directly connected with Bioware or the KOTOR story.

Revan was male, Outcast was female, and both were good.

If they were doing Shepard I'd say they'd go mostly full paragon saving everyone with a bit of renegade thrown in here and there.

An eagle eyed person saw a poster for sale on the bioware store for the next mass effect game and the below description.

"The show goes on. Shepard's final quest may have ended the threat of the Reapers but at great cost including Earth itself. While Shepard and the survivors are left to pick up the pieces, fans are left wondering what's next."

It was quickly edited to remove Shepard's name from the description. Hhhmmmmm

Lazarus Project Mk.II.

One of the very few multiplayer formats I liked. It was amazing

• Advertisement

Ah lads :D

Advertisement