Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signs that you're getting old

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

sporina wrote: »
    I know!! ffs - since when is music from the 00's Classic?

Or 90s, shīt I'm really old lol. But keep a good taste in music. Of course it's only my projection of good music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I know!! ffs - since when is music from the 00's Classic?

When you mention 'Pirate Radio' and the kids don't know what you are talking about. They don't even understand 'Radio' .... never mind the 'Pirate' aspect. They have no idea why anyone would need to set up their own radio station to hear music. They are even more amazed to hear that it started out on ships... and that Radio Caroline (what???) is still operating today.

For those of us old enough to remember... The boys are back on board.... live broadcasts from the last remaining pirate radio ship, The MV Ross Revenge, recommences on Saturday June 26th. She has been silent since the start of the covid crisis but is now ready to rock again. The return broadcast will be relayed over that weekend by Manx Radio on 1368khz AM (219 meters medium wave). Time to dust off the old transistor radio - if you are old enough to know how to use it.

Signs that you are getting old??.. When you are over excited about a scratchy radio signal coming from a ship. (will also be heard in perfect quality online.... but that's not the same :) )

https://www.facebook.com/radiocarolineofficial/

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Esho

riclad wrote: »
    When you watch programs on rte 1 that are not comedys drama, s or reality TV or sport.
    When you develop an interest in gardening or local politics
    When you are happy to chat about what's the best pension funds investments or mortgage
    when you go to a supermarket and buy a few items just cos it's 50 per cent off or 2 for one
    When you can't stand to spin 1038 fm as all the songs sound the same

When you watch RTE1...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Ger Roe wrote: »
    . They don't even understand 'Radio' .... never mind the 'Pirate' aspect. They have no idea why anyone would need to set up their own radio station to hear music.
    I remember the teenager asking me in the car 'what number is 98FM at?'. I realised they had no concept of turning the dial to tune in a station.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

General aches and pains , though MS might play a part , but the main thing is filling forms in online , and to add your age you have to scroll down ,and down and down till you find your birth year.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Voguementol

When you watch the Late Late show.
    When you find yourself squinting to read and start holding things away from you so you can see more clearly.
    When you prefer a good nights sleep to a late night out.
    When you get excited when its a good breezy day for the washing!
    When hangovers last for days not hours.
    When people in retail call you madam! I hate that..

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

When you go to a clothes shop wearing your size L shirt and the only shirt in the shop that fits you is an XXXL.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

When one of my former class mates tells me his grandson just got engaged.

When you watch the Late Late show.
    When you find yourself squinting to read and start holding things away from you so you can see more clearly.
    When you prefer a good nights sleep to a late night out.
    When you get excited when its a good breezy day for the washing!
    When hangovers last for days not hours.
    When people in retail call you madam! I hate that..

I first went to the Optician when I was moving my watch further away from my eyes so I could see the hands clearly (remember when people wore watches). He said to come back when my arm was no longer long enough ....

It didn't take long and now I often leave the house forgetting to take my necessary reading glasses with me.... another sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Might be a strange one but watching a movie from the 80s or 90s, considering it a relatively modern film yet knowing that several of the actors are already dead. A good example is Die Hard - the following are all dead and there may be others

Alan Rickman
    James Shigeta (Takagi)
    the actor that played Karl
    Paul Gleason
    The head of the swat team
    The female newsreader

Also was watching Terminator 2 recently - from the bar scene, the actor that played the main biker (You forgot to say please) and the bartender (Can't let you take the man's wheels son) are both dead for around 20 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

In rural area,s some people have only saorview ,eg,bbc.itv,rte so if they want to watch certain tv shows they,ll have to watch rte 1.
    theres a study ,most people stop listening to new music after the reach the aqe of 25.
    broadband is not avaidable in many rural area,s .
    so netflix is not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I first went to the Optician when I was moving my watch further away from my eyes so I could see the hands clearly (remember when people wore watches). He said to come back when my arm was no longer long enough ....

It didn't take long and now I often leave the house forgetting to take my necessary reading glasses with me.... another sign.

Exactly same experience myself.
    There was me thinking my eyesight was perfect all my life.
    One day I noticed that I couldnt read unless i held the book further away than usual.
    Within 2 years my arms werent long enough.
    The optician said it was perfectly normal and will happen to everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Getting my first ever "because of your age/if you were 10 years younger etc." speil from the doctor.

Jaysus im only in my early 30s.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Exactly same experience myself.
    There was me thinking my eyesight was perfect all my life.
    One day I noticed that I couldnt read unless i held the book further away than usual.
    Within 2 years my arms werent long enough.
    The optician said it was perfectly normal and will happen to everybody.

Having a pair those inexpensive ready reader glasses in nearly every room in the house and another pair in the car and the handbag and only using the 'good' spectacles actually prescribed by the optician for 'important' tasks like filling out forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

when you love tea more than coffee/alcohol..

the older I get, I love the stuff more and more..

could take or leave it when I was younger

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

When you get the 2nd vaccine shot.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Esho

blue5000 wrote: »
    When you get the 2nd vaccine shot.

.... and the room is full of old people!!!

Esho wrote: »
    .... and the room is full of old people!!!

Wondering how all those old people in the queue are only getting their vaccine now the same day as me....

Wondering how all those old people in the queue are only getting their vaccine now the same day as me....

was it for 1st or 2nd? mayb they are only getting their 2nd.. and if its AZ the gap between 1 n 2 is longer than with Pfizer etc

was it for 1st or 2nd? mayb they are only getting their 2nd.. and if its AZ the gap between 1 n 2 is longer than with Pfizer etc

I was being tongue in cheek. I meant I thought they looked older than me - but they were in fact the same age as me, in other words I dont look as young as I'd like to think.....

• Advertisement

I was being tongue in cheek. I meant I thought they looked older than me - but they were in fact the same age as me, in other words I dont look as young as I'd like to think.....

Exactly the same experience here. I was in the vaccination center yesterday wondering why I was in with the group of older people.... and then, like the man sitting on a hill at night waiting for the sun to appear ..... suddenly it dawned on me. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

varifocal contact lenses are great for covering that up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Exactly the same experience here. I was in the vaccination center yesterday wondering why I was in with the group of older people.... and then, like the man sitting on a hill at night waiting for the sun to appear ..... suddenly it dawned on me. :eek:

Or in the vaccine center you meet a few people you were in school with and they all look way older than you do - or so you think :)

sorry that never occurred to me.. like, mayb you do look a lot younger than your age... I look about 12 yrs younger than my age.. people can't believe what age I am when I tell them - class.. just good genes - wish I could say it was my lifestyle.. I have an aunt who's 92 and doesn't look a day over 68, 72 max - its astonishing really..

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Getting teary eyed about the 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Ah now - 30 is still young.

Wait ‘till you’re 46, like me.... :D I can still move pretty quickly but it might involve joint pain or dizziness!

I worked with a 65 year old guy. Ran circles around the 20 year old guys. What a legend he was. They don't make them like they used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    Getting teary eyed about the 90s
    Trying to remember what happened in the 90s!

Currently reading back a daily diary I kept when I was a teenager and all the adults I interacted with back then are now all dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I remember the media drawing attention to Paul McCartney when he turned 64, because of his "When I'm 64" song.

Today he is 79.
    I feel ancient.

• Advertisement

this year alone I hav had 6 funerals so far - and another one tomorrow.. a sign of getting on, but not all elderly mind you - a mix of ages..

nonetheless, a sign that i am getting on I feel.. in previous years, bereavements for me wer few and far between (thankfully).. too many these days.. (RIP to all the deceased)

Advertisement