Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Drumpot wrote: »
    Is everybody putting off their ferry holiday until at least 19th July ?

I presume the €2000 fine is also relevant and done on the ferry to France ?

Was hoping maybe the rules would of changed by now but it looks like if you are just looking to go on holiday they will fine you for the pleasure ?

The fine asaik is due to expire early July. The expectation on the travel thread is that it won't be renewed but if it is the max is up to 19 July.

Ok I spoke to Kelair, can someone help me with mobile home choice. Westgolf perhaps you can or anyone else who is familiar with their mobile homes (hoping to go to sol a gogo).

We would probably prefer to have a three bedroom, so our choices are the cordelia or the apollo. The only difference appears to be that the apollo is slightly bigger, it has a second shower room and it has aircon. The apollo is an extra €426 for a 12 night stay. I'm not really bothered about any of the extras on their own other than the air con, but collectively they would improve the holiday, while not being essential.

Has anyone stayed in either mobile home or both. Any advice for me. TIA

>The nicest mobile I ever stayed in was the one with the nicest outside furniture. It had the rattan seating with cushions.

>The inside is never that great tbh unless you book something very plush.

>A bit of extra space IS nice if you have small kids as they tend to have a lot of stuff they throw everywhere.

>Not sure air con would be that essential in Sol A Gogo?? Does it get that hot there? Think it tends to be mid to low 20s?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭54and56

ellee wrote: »
    The fine asaik is due to expire early July. The expectation on the travel thread is that it won't be renewed but if it is the max is up to 19 July.

Would you mind linking to that thread? I can't spot it amongst all the threads on there :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭josip

54and56 wrote: »
    Would you mind linking to that thread? I can't spot it amongst all the threads on there :o

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058190556

Be careful what you admit to over there, there are a couple of undercover Gardai on the thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Was hoping maybe the rules would of changed by now but it looks like if you are just looking to go on holiday they will fine you for the pleasure ?

I booked my ferry early December, but every now and again I hop in and out and have noticed that space/ selection of cabins are reducing whilst prices are increasing. I'd say a lot of people are using mid July as the benchmark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Peckham wrote: »
    Their system seems to be set up in a way that it's all free of charge anyway, so probably hassle to change the system to start taking money from tourists.

Either way, for those only needing one or two family members tested it's not going to break the bank.

We're lucky. Two parents vaccinated and all of our kids are aged under 11. This will mean we won't need testing to go to France, and will only need the 2 older kids tested to come home.

Same here - issue is if a kid tests positive but I think I have a long way around that if you have a car. One parent and negative kids fly home(could be expensive) Drive to the UK, France is Amber so adult needs negative PCR, under 11 exempt. You also need to book day 2 & 8 tests. Drive through UK, ferry to NI (no test required) and home to Ireland. Would take ages and cost a fair bit but assuming kid is asymptomatic it would save you waiting up to 2 weeks in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭webpal

We stayed in Solagogo for 3 years in a row (we missed last year but may have gone back). We met a lot of repeat customers, Irish, English and French, staff are the same also but it is a family run site. It was perfect for our children which is why we kept returning. They have plenty to keep them occupied, with kids club twice a day, playground, games room, soccer/basketball court as well as the pools and beach. Evening entertainment is good also and you can sit in the bar in the evening if you want as the games room is on one end and the playground at the either. There is a nice restaurant across the road but does get busy.

There is a small shop up the road and a little further up is a U Express which is massive. There are other supermarkets a short driving distance away, just be aware the most supermarkets close early on Sunday's.

We usually break the drive in 2 and if we are driving from Roscoff, stop in Vannes at a Carrefour which has McDonalds etc, shop and supermarket. We usually buy enough to keep us going for a day so we dont have to shop when we arrive. From Cherbourg there is a similar stop just north of Rennes. Both of these are just off the main routes so you cant get lost. There are plenty of towns along the way that you could stop in on your return, depending on where you are driving too. We usually just pack up at 10am and off we go. Fougeres is nice as is Mont St Michel if heading to Cherbourg. If heading to Roscoff, Auray or Huelgoat are nice too.

Also be aware that when we first booked, we went directly with the site and there was no bbq, oven or sunbeds in the mobile, they are not advertised. So make sure you read what each operator has, pretty sure the rest have everything.

Due to sporting commitments this year, unfortunately we wont be going this year but we have loads of tesco tokens so might go to Disneyland in October, just to use the tokens :)

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Same here - issue is if a kid tests positive but I think I have a long way around that if you have a car. One parent and negative kids fly home(could be expensive) Drive to the UK, France is Amber so adult needs negative PCR, under 11 exempt. You also need to book day 2 & 8 tests. Drive through UK, ferry to NI (no test required) and home to Ireland. Would take ages and cost a fair bit but assuming kid is asymptomatic it would save you waiting up to 2 weeks in France.

So the positive kid is on the boat to NI with everyone else?

josip wrote: »
    So the positive kid is on the boat to NI with everyone else?

Yup - fair point, it’s morally wrong, I had assumed staying in cabin and kid not contagious but still a bit of a crappy thing to do. Back to the drawing board!

webpal wrote: »
    We stayed in Solagogo for 3 years in a row (we missed last year but may have gone back). We met a lot of repeat customers, Irish, English and French, staff are the same also but it is a family run site. It was perfect for our children which is why we kept returning. They have plenty to keep them occupied, with kids club twice a day, playground, games room, soccer/basketball court as well as the pools and beach. Evening entertainment is good also and you can sit in the bar in the evening if you want as the games room is on one end and the playground at the either. There is a nice restaurant across the road but does get busy.

There is a small shop up the road and a little further up is a U Express which is massive. There are other supermarkets a short driving distance away, just be aware the most supermarkets close early on Sunday's.

We usually break the drive in 2 and if we are driving from Roscoff, stop in Vannes at a Carrefour which has McDonalds etc, shop and supermarket. We usually buy enough to keep us going for a day so we dont have to shop when we arrive. From Cherbourg there is a similar stop just north of Rennes. Both of these are just off the main routes so you cant get lost. There are plenty of towns along the way that you could stop in on your return, depending on where you are driving too. We usually just pack up at 10am and off we go. Fougeres is nice as is Mont St Michel if heading to Cherbourg. If heading to Roscoff, Auray or Huelgoat are nice too.

Also be aware that when we first booked, we went directly with the site and there was no bbq, oven or sunbeds in the mobile, they are not advertised. So make sure you read what each operator has, pretty sure the rest have everything.

Due to sporting commitments this year, unfortunately we wont be going this year but we have loads of tesco tokens so might go to Disneyland in October, just to use the tokens :)

Is going to Disneyland by Ferry something people do regularity? Seems a long trek?

• Advertisement

Is going to Disneyland by Ferry something people do regularity? Seems a long trek?

5 hour drive, no different to going to Vendee

5 hour drive, no different to going to Vendee

Yeah but was thinking if just going for 4 or 5 days

Yeah but was thinking if just going for 4 or 5 days

We would probably stay onsite for 7 nights, I do see your point but the ferry will be free as we have so many tokens because we didnt use any last year and they will expire.

We would probably stay onsite for 7 nights, I do see your point but the ferry will be free as we have so many tokens because we didnt use any last year and they will expire.

No brainier so - enjoy

Yup - fair point, it’s morally wrong, I had assumed staying in cabin and kid not contagious but still a bit of a crappy thing to do. Back to the drawing board!

It'd be fine on the Channel Tunnel.
    We're in a not dissimilar position at the end of the summer as we're returning from a country outside the EU with 2 unvaccinated 11+ kids.
    If they still have to home quarantine for 2 weeks regardless of a negative PCR test, then we're going to have a relaxing extra 11 days at French campsites on our way back.

josip wrote: »
    It'd be fine on the Channel Tunnel.

Yeah that was the plan but still need ferry from Scotland to NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deeman83

Yes, planning on sailing at the very end of July. A spare week and a few days after the 19th July milestone date.

I expect to travel with EU Vaccine passport for two adults, no restrictions entering France and travel back into Ireland with no need for quarantine or PCR tests. Eldest kid is 8 so hopefully no requirement for PCR either.

This is based on Irish Government sticking to their opening up date of 19th July.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Deeman83 wrote: »
    Yes, planning on sailing at the very end of July. A spare week and a few days after the 19th July milestone date.

I expect to travel with EU Vaccine passport for two adults, no restrictions entering France and travel back into Ireland with no need for quarantine or PCR tests. Eldest kid is 8 so hopefully no requirement for PCR either.

This is based on Irish Government sticking to their opening up date of 19th July.

I've been asking how/when/where we get our vaccination certificates but the only answer is to check for updates.....

First Up wrote: »
    I've been asking how/when/where we get our vaccination certificates but the only answer is to check for updates.....

Yes, good point. This is the missing piece in the puzzle at the minute.
    It is even more concerning for us northerners.

Travelling from Ireland via Dublin with an Irish passport but with a UK (NI) address and a UK NHS certificate/app etc.
    The UK has France on the amber list to add to the confusion.

Hopefully French Border Control don't ask too many questions!
    I still think things will be much more relaxed by the end of July.

Yes, good point. This is the missing piece in the puzzle at the minute.
    It is even more concerning for us northerners.

Travelling from Ireland via Dublin with an Irish passport but with a UK (NI) address and a UK NHS certificate/app etc.
    The UK has France on the amber list to add to the confusion.

Hopefully French Border Control don't ask too many questions!
    I still think things will be much more relaxed by the end of July.

Your 8 year old will need a negative PCR to get back to Ireland. Cut off is 7. It’s 11 for France so fine going out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Olivia Pope

Westgolf - thanks for your reply. That coffee on the terrace sounds lovely.

Baybay - thanks for those tips.

Manshay - thanks for explaining the difference between eurocamp and Kelair.

Ellee - Thanks for the advice re the booking direct with the campsite, I have emailed them with my dates. I am not sure about the aircon either.

Webpal - thanks so much for that detailed report on Solagogo. It sounds like just what we want really. Can I ask you two questions?

1 - the beach. Is it a nice sandy beach. Our two love the beach and love making sandcastles and moats etc. A big part of our decision to go with Solagogo is to have the beach on our doorstep.

2 - is the campsite very cramped, I was looking at aerial shots of it and it looks cramped. Maybe they all are. We stayed in tents when I was a child and I don't remember everything being on top of each other so much but that was 30 years ago and maybe that's just how I remember it.

Your 8 year old will need a negative PCR to get back to Ireland. Cut off is 7. It’s 11 for France so fine going out.

Thanks, Hopefully Ireland will cut this requirement on 19th July?

Don’t think so - that is from the guidelines for July 19th onwards.

1 - the beach. Is it a nice sandy beach. Our two love the beach and love making sandcastles and moats etc. A big part of our decision to go with Solagogo is to have the beach on our doorstep.

2 - is the campsite very cramped, I was looking at aerial shots of it and it looks cramped. Maybe they all are. We stayed in tents when I was a child and I don't remember everything being on top of each other so much but that was 30 years ago and maybe that's just how I remember it.
    It’s a lovely beach, all sand. There used to be a direct entrance from the campsite but due to storms they had to close it. The back gate is still there and there is a path along the dunes to the main beach entrance, only 100yds

It’s not that cramped but I’ve stayed on sites with more space, you could always ring whoever you are booking with and ask for a map of their mobiles and request a particular one.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭freida

There is actually a saliva based pcr test. I see some clinics doing them here for 119 so similar pricing and might be worth it for the kids. Just not sure about their availability in france for travelling home.

54and56 wrote: »

Here you are:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058190556

The first page links back to the other 2 threads also. It does tend to be plaged a bit by anti travel zealots, you have been warned!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

RANT COMING....Just cancelled our holiday this year with Canvas in France. I'm raging (maybe unjustified some will say) as they wouldn't move the deposit only €99 to next year for us. They asked last year to hold the deposit from last year's holiday so they would have operational funds (I think this is wording they said) but they won't reciprocate this year. They have lost me and my friends (same boat as us) as customers, I'm sure we weren't the first judging by the customer services reaction, no management available to speak to when I asked. Basically said as Ireland is allowing holidays from the 19th July nothing stopping us (my employer is holding to a mandatory 2 wk unpaid isolation if we leave to Europe) taking up the holiday..I think it's bad form from Canvas, while IF who everyone seemed to ridicule for there customer service have given a credit note to be used next year..

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Another workaround is bring you work laptop if that's an option. Book into a cheap apartment for 2 weeks with the positive kid. You dont miss work, they get another 2 weeks in Spain. Then they qualify for a green cert as recovered from covid so no need to worry about them still failing PCRs. Fly home.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

First Up wrote: »

Someone posted on another thread they should be available to download from the 17th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Under France’s new travel rules, children are considered to have the same vaccination status as their accompanying adult

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/Travel-France-Under-18s-covered-by-parent-s-Covid-vaccine-status

Advertisement