Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

SusanC10 wrote: »
    We had been due to get the Ferry late June. Only deposit paid. Also deposit paid with Eurocamp (since 2019 for 2020!). One of our Campsites not available so we moved the Accommodation to 2022. Cancelled the Ferry.

Friends in same position. They are now thinking of trying to go in August but haven't booked anything yet. We are all tied to school holidays.

I would love to get to go in August but Husband thinks that we should forget about trying to go abroad in 2021 and focus on 2022. He is also suggesting that we don't go to France but fly to somewhere on the Mediterranean for 2022.

Exactly the same situation here. Had Les Ormes booked for last summer and rescheduled for this summer. Now pushed out to 2022 and close to cancelling the ferry. My OH is debating going somewhere with "guaranteed sun" instead but I'm resisting so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Baybay

He is also suggesting that we don't go to France but fly to somewhere on the Mediterranean for 2022.

Still France but can thoroughly recommend the Herault! Aer Lingus fly (flew!) to Montpellier.

Deferred our sailing til next year due to vaccine type uncertainty & timings but as we both now have first shots, we are thinking of late August this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

We were due to go late June and while I was willing to stick with it, my husband wasn't keen so we changed to mid August. We fly into Nantes. Couldn't get both campsites to line up so we're just doing pins parasol for ten nights. I'll be delighted with that. My husband is full vaccinated and I should have my first shot in the next week or two. Campsite was much more expensive but justified it as we missed out last year and have done very little, no eating out etc.

Next year- we're thinking of doing two trips to France (one for a week and the other 10/12 days) - first around June 24 and again end August (we'll go further south- maybe la brasilia). Prices then are so much better and if flights remain much the same. Kids are still young so we don't mind taking them out of school for a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Our flight to Toulouse with Aer Lingus for the end of June just got cancelled.

France gone now for sure

We had been due to get the Ferry late June. Only deposit paid. Also deposit paid with Eurocamp (since 2019 for 2020!). One of our Campsites not available so we moved the Accommodation to 2022. Cancelled the Ferry.

Friends in same position. They are now thinking of trying to go in August but haven't booked anything yet. We are all tied to school holidays.

I would love to get to go in August but Husband thinks that we should forget about trying to go abroad in 2021 and focus on 2022. He is also suggesting that we don't go to France but fly to somewhere on the Mediterranean for 2022.

Fly to South of France. We go to la Carabasse with Siblu. Amazing weather. Fly into Toulouse, 2 hour drive on a great road.

• Advertisement

Our flight to Toulouse with Aer Lingus for the end of June just got cancelled.

France gone now for sure

Is august an option? I think a lot of flights in June and probably July will get cancelled. I'm hopeful for August though

MizMix wrote: »
    Is august an option? I think a lot of flights in June and probably July will get cancelled. I'm hopeful for August though

Campsites are full of more french then and less irish in south of france.

Holiday here for the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Good news on the horizon particularly for the fully vaccinated https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0520/1222934-vaccine-passport/

The European Parliament and member states have reached agreement in principle on a digital Covid certificate that should open up summer travel across the European Union. The deal should allow people to travel across the EU from the end of June, with the help of a certificate that will indicate if a person has been vaccinated, has a negative Covid test, or has recovered from the virus.

yiddo59 wrote: »
    Good news on the horizon particularly for the fully vaccinated https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0520/1222934-vaccine-passport/

The European Parliament and member states have reached agreement in principle on a digital Covid certificate that should open up summer travel across the European Union. The deal should allow people to travel across the EU from the end of June, with the help of a certificate that will indicate if a person has been vaccinated, has a negative Covid test, or has recovered from the virus.

But if the demand is not their for the airlines, they won't fly. As we found out yesterday.

Think loads have decided to holiday at home now and go away in oct or so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭yiddo59

But if the demand is not their for the airlines, they won't fly. As we found out yesterday.

Think loads have decided to holiday at home now and go away in oct or so

Nice to have the choice though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deeman83

Who is still hoping to get to France this Summer ?

We are going at the very end of July,

Looking forward to it.

We rearranged the boat and campsites with minimal fuss.
    We will have had our second shot of Pfizer plus the 14day period to achieve full immunisation. That should mean we can get some sort of "Vaccine Pass" to travel without the need for PCR/quarantine etc.

Hopefully France will be fully open and operational by the end of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Deeman83 wrote: »
    We are going at the very end of July,

Looking forward to it.

We rearranged the boat and campsites with minimal fuss.
    We will have had our second shot of Pfizer plus the 14day period to achieve full immunisation. That should mean we can get some sort of "Vaccine Pass" to travel without the need for PCR/quarantine etc.

Hopefully France will be fully open and operational by the end of July.

Sorry to pry Have you paid for your holiday in full or did u get deadlines extended. Our ferry final payment deadline is next wk and wondering will IF extend it.. hoping they do..

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Sorry to pry Have you paid for your holiday in full or did u get deadlines extended. Our ferry final payment deadline is next wk and wondering will IF extend it.. hoping they do..

I had paid in full in early 2020.

IF allowed me to postpone booking into 2021 and then gave me the Flexi option for free.

I then used the flexi option to move the holiday again into August so that we can use the "vaccine pass" and hopefully more of France will be open then.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

I had paid in full in early 2020.

IF allowed me to postpone booking into 2021 and then gave me the Flexi option for free.

I then used the flexi option to move the holiday again into August so that we can use the "vaccine pass" and hopefully more of France will be open then.

Thank you, have the flexi option, so I'm debating whether to pay it and cancel later if things don't work out. Thanks for ur response..

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Anyone know if they will apply MHQ to kids coming back from France?

Looks like we'll be vaccinated but not a hope of the 2 of them obviously.

We're booked end of July. Ferry crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Peckham

No-one knows at this stage, but in all likelihood MHQ will be gone for most countries and you'll be able to travel around Europe using the Green Pass.

As kids won't be vaccinated at that stage it presumably will mean that they will need a negative test before leaving Ireland, and another before returning home.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

cancelled our August booking, just too much uncertainty for me to pay the balance next week (and we'd no accommodation booked anyway).

I had the Flexi fare so should get the deposit back towards next year's trip (or maybe something in the Autumn).

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

Has anyone a number for Irish_Ferries other than the 0818 no?
    Trying to get through to them and have been on hold twice for 20 minutes before getting cut off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

Has anyone a number for Irish_Ferries other than the 0818 no?
    Trying to get through to them and have been on hold twice for 20 minutes before getting cut off

I'd suggest emailing instead. Emailed them last year and got a response within a couple of days. Doing the same this year. They should have your contact number from your booking if you provided one.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

fdevine wrote: »
    I'd suggest emailing instead. Emailed them last year and got a response within a couple of days. Doing the same this year. They should have your contact number from your booking if you provided one.

Got them through Facebook messenger! All sorted

• Advertisement

Irish government have announced that International travel to resume from July 19th under EU's Digital Green Certificate scheme.

I take it this means, no PCR needed, no MHQ or isolating, just the EU Digital Green Cert, fully vaccinated and off you go.

Great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jeffm587

Irish government have announced that International travel to resume from July 19th under EU's Digital Green Certificate scheme.

I take it this means, no PCR needed, no MHQ or isolating, just the EU Digital Green Cert, fully vaccinated and off you go.

Great news.

Wonder will kids or teenagers that are not vaxed by then need a pcr , kind of assume kids under 13 wont but upwards of 13 will ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

Great news.

I wonder what the story will be for someone (a family) going out before the 19th but returning back after the 19th? I guess the requirement going out is dictated by the country of arrival so if no EU Digital Cert then negative PCR tests required for entry to France but on the way back no need for a PCR test as the EU Digital Cert (assuming it arrives into your app / email etc) will show if you've been vaccinated?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭josip

54and56 wrote: »
    I wonder what the story will be for someone (a family) going out before the 19th but returning back after the 19th? I guess the requirement going out is dictated by the country of arrival so if no EU Digital Cert then negative PCR tests required for entry to France but on the way back no need for a PCR test as the EU Digital Cert (assuming it arrives into your app / email etc) will show if you've been vaccinated?

I was wondering this also but about the €2000 non essential fine.
    It's applied on the way out, so if you depart before the 19th, in theory you still could be issued one if your trip is non-essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Peckham

Jeffm587 wrote: »
    Wonder will kids or teenagers that are not vaxed by then need a pcr , kind of assume kids under 13 wont but upwards of 13 will ??

Suspect it will be younger than that. Currently kids aged 7 or older need a negative PCR to enter Ireland.

Could be different going both ways, e.g. France may only require Antigen tests, but Ireland may require PCR tests. Time will tell.

France will cover the cost of pcr tests for tourists it seems. My kids will be 9 and just gone 7 so we won’t need it entering France but we will need it for them coming back to Ireland.
    https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/france-provides-free-covid-19-pcr-tests-for-new-arrivals/

Currently it’s pcr tests for 11 year olds plus entering France and 7 years and older entering Ireland. Up until yesterday I assumed we wouldn’t need them for our kids but at least (for us) it’s just one way and no additional cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ladylouth

josip wrote: »
    I was wondering this also but about the €2000 non essential fine.
    It's applied on the way out, so if you depart before the 19th, in theory you still could be issued one if your trip is non-essential.

Now that MHQ is lifted, we will be going to a dentist in France before 19th July, returning afterwards. I haven't actually heard of a single €2k fine being issued since it came in. Has anyone? Are the guards actually checking at the ferry these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ladylouth

MizMix wrote: »
    France will cover the cost of pcr tests for tourists it seems. My kids will be 9 and just gone 7 so we won’t need it entering France but we will need it for them coming back to Ireland.
    https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/france-provides-free-covid-19-pcr-tests-for-new-arrivals/

Currently it’s pcr tests for 11 year olds plus entering France and 7 years and older entering Ireland. Up until yesterday I assumed we wouldn’t need them for our kids but at least (for us) it’s just one way and no additional cost.

This says that the free test is for those coming into France? How will that work if you are leaving from Dublin?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Weve booked Castell Montgri for 8th August - only thing that has us worried is that the kids(12 and 13) need a pcr test coming back into Ireland - what if one of them gets a positive test?

We`ve been wracking our brains all day and decided that we`re going to travel and bring a load of antigen tests with us and test them every few days and if one of them tests positive it will give us time to make different arrangements ie fly to the UK (NI) or somewhere pcrs might not be needed in August.

Its a bit of a pain but will be worth it to get out of here fpr a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Weve booked Castell Montgri for 8th August - only thing that has us worried is that the kids(12 and 13) need a pcr test coming back into Ireland - what if one of them gets a positive test?

We`ve been wracking our brains all day and decided that we`re going to travel and bring a load of antigen tests with us and test them every few days and if one of them tests positive it will give us time to make different arrangements ie fly to the UK (NI) or somewhere pcrs might not be needed in August.

Its a bit of a pain but will be worth it to get out of here fpr a few weeks.

If one of your kids tests positive while abroad, do you mean you would fly with them while positive? Isn't there an isolation period if you get a positive result ?

Advertisement