Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

walshb wrote: »
    But you have gone off the page now and started ripping his level of opposition

Usyk has fought Whiterspoon and Chrisora...

So, we can leave the opposition levels alone....

Why has he not fought Fury? Well, we know why....it was set to go ahead.....

Why has Fury not fought AJ? Again, we know why.....I don't see any reason to slate AJ for this...

Why do we leave the opposition levels alone?, all the points you make on movement etc and punch mechanics have been against these guys. He looks good against the same type of fighters that are either euro level or well past their best.

I honestly think Uysk will beat him.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Why do we leave the opposition levels alone?, all the points you make on movement etc and punch mechanics have been against these guys. He looks good against the same type of fighters that are either euro level or well past their best.

I honestly think Uysk will beat him.

Ok, so Usyk at HW has beaten Whiterspoon and Chisora....looked very ordinary vs Chisora.....looked lost at times, and Chisora is muck!

And, the opposition outside the top three is pretty poor....

AJ has beaten everyone he has faced..........

He was due to face Fury and it fell through.......

Him and Wilder never got to fight. Big deal....

Not sure how criticizing who he has beaten is at all relevant here, or relevant anywhere on the HW scene.....

Fury/AJ and Wilder are the top dogs......outside this, who cares who any of them have fought...

Usyk has skills and AJ has skills......this talk of one having such a superiors skillset compared to the other makes no sense to me...

Personally I rather watching AJ than Usyk. I think he is neater, more polished and a far cleaner puncher.....punching wise I think he is better than Usyk.

Klitschko - Had AJ in all sorts of trouble before getting stopped late on - Not remotely close to a prime version of himself.

Dont get me wrong i like watching AJ fight as he exciting and has huge power but his skills and record are vastly overrated in real terms.

Why has he not fought fury or wilder in this period?

Klit had AJ in trouble, but AJ had him in more trouble and closed the show for a TKO/KO; nobody had done that to Wlad in many years....yes, not at his peak, Klit, but still very good.

And, why criticize AJ here for the Fury and Wilder fights?

Are you saying AJ is to blame because the Fury fight fell through?

Have you some details/evidence that Wilder/AJ did not happen because of AJ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Unfair to describe Pulev as a euro level plodder, the man has only lost twice both being against AJ and Wlad. Wouldn’t go pigeon holing him with lads like Chisora on double figure losses who is the epitome of a plodder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,543 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Personally i feel that some of the traits you have detailed are a little overrated when it comes to AJ. Uysk's better movement skills and stamina and will wear down AJ and possible stop him around 8-10.

I dont buy into AJ being anything other than an above average heavyweight lucky enough to be in a shallow pool of talent. Lets look back at his last 7 fights.

Pulev - A Euro level plodder hand made for AJ
    Ruiz II - Ruiz had been on a bender for months and came in 16lbs over his already inflated weight.
    Ruiz I - Ruiz didnt exactly fight like Ali and beat the **** out of AJ
    Povetkin - Hard to argue that he was not at least 5 years past his best and was doing the Euro cash in roadshow already.
    Parker - Jabbed his head off all night, but since parker has barely scraped past chisora the form does not exactly stack up.
    Takam - I have better head movement
    Klitschko - Had AJ in all sorts of trouble before getting stopped late on - Not remotely close to a prime version of himself.

Dont get me wrong i like watching AJ fight as he exciting and has huge power but his skills and record are vastly overrated in real terms.

Why has he not fought fury or wilder in this period?

Every fight you listed above (Bar Ruiz 1) is more impressive than anything Uysk has done at heavy weight ,

Wilders done
    Afraid to speak or answer questions hiding from the media because he knows his excuses are jut that excuses

Fury really messed him up

Frankly embarrassing for a ex world champion, stinks of Rousey in the UFC when she got beat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Wilders done
    Afraid to speak or answer questions hiding from the media because he knows his excuses are jut that excuses

Fury really messed him up

Frankly embarrassing for a ex world champion, stinks of Rousey in the UFC when she got beat

What’s this all based on? Was the presser tonight?

Two absolute wafflers. Poseurs!

squinn2912 wrote: »

Just checked ss app. Did he not speak at all? I thought that would be his tactic

• Advertisement

Just thinking, this fight could very easily turn into a who cares. Need to see some fight in wilder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Just thinking, this fight could very easily turn into a who cares. Need to see some fight in wilder

im not sure even the second fight sold out (at MGM) its at a bigger stadium now, wonder if the interest is still there, especially if Wilder isn't bothering to try hype it up.

in saying that they went on sale at 8pm last night and I clicked on out of interest (as expected the cheaper tickets sold out $200, the next best I could get was $500) so im sure even without a sell out they will get a high gate.

The fight is in the T-mobile but I was really expecting it to be in the Allegiant Stadium (Raiders NFL stadium in Vegas) it would have been the first boxing/MMA event there.

Guess no one wants to take the chance, even Mcgregor the week before is in the T-Mobile

Yes it was last night Wilder sat there with his head phones on and would't answer question's or speak ,

He is mentally done,

So obvious he was hiding from the media and Fury questioning him on all the excuses last time, He came across as finished to me if you can't deal with a loss you won't address all the problems that caused it,

AJ for all his faults dealt with his lose properly and faced the reality of the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Yes it was last night Wilder sat there with his head phones on and would't answer question's or speak ,

He is mentally done,

So obvious he was hiding from the media and Fury questioning him on all the excuses last time, He came across as finished to me if you can't deal with a loss you won't address all the problems that caused it,

AJ for all his faults dealt with his lose properly and faced the reality of the situation

Yeah its a strange fight to be honest, wilder has to think he cant KO fury after the first fight and cant outbox him after the second.

What gameplan can he come up with?

Yeah its a strange fight to be honest, wilder has to think he cant KO fury after the first fight and cant outbox him after the second.

What gameplan can he come up with?

Wilder only chance is to catch Fury in the 1st or 2nd if he doesn't he will get flash backs of the last fight and it'll be over,

He showed yesterday he is mentally weak if he doesn't get a quick KO he will be done ,

Fury talks a lot of nonsense but he was bang on the money on his assessment of Wilder that he was hiding from the Media & his bogey man,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'd give Wilder the same chance he had in the second fight, obviously Fury is far superior but Wilder still has those dynamite fists.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

It's still not an easy fight for Fury. Wilders tactics are easy... he has 12 rounds to catch him once

Fury still needs to avoid it for 12 rounds, 1st one he failed in after 35 minutes of doing excellent, second fight he schooled him, it still doesn't take away the strong possibility of Wilder catching him again again.

You can also best believe the towel isn't coming in for Wilder, Jay deas would have got the memo on that, so he will go out swinging which fury needs to be careful of.

not sure if its been posted yet, John Fury gave a very honest interview below and he is concerned about the yes men around Tyson and thinks his mind might not be in the best place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5QK2ufOc4M

• Registered Users Posts: 19,707 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

fitzparker wrote: »
    It's still not an easy fight for Fury. Wilders tactics are easy... he has 12 rounds to catch him once

Fury still needs to avoid it for 12 rounds, 1st one he failed in after 35 minutes of doing excellent, second fight he schooled him, it still doesn't take away the strong possibility of Wilder catching him again again.

You can also best believe the towel isn't coming in for Wilder, Jay deas would have got the memo on that, so he will go out swinging which fury needs to be careful of.

not sure if its been posted yet, John Fury gave a very honest interview below and he is concerned about the yes men around Tyson and thinks his mind might not be in the best place.

wilder wont have 12 rounds though, if Fury is as dominant as the last time he gets maybe 5 - 6 rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Fury has to know that he must keep Wilder on the back foot because one he can't generate as much power going backwards and two Wilder has not got the skills to box off the back foot.
    Controlled aggression, jabbing, pushing and leaning all over him. If he does the same as the second fight, cannot see Wilder's route to a win.
    Would any of you be of the opinion that Wilder needs to put on a bit of weight, would it be a benefit or a negative?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

most of the presser is on ifltv on youtube if anyone wants to catch up
    wilder read out a nursery rhyme thing at the start and that was it
    i think wilder is still done mentally and cant think on his feet to reply to the fury banter, last time he said he had 6 inch feet nails for him and a big hammer, he clearly lost his hammer lol
    fury said he is aiming to be 300lb/21st for the fight, im not sure i believe that

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,707 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

OmegaGene wrote: »
    fury said he is aiming to be 300lb/21st for the fight, im not sure i believe that

i wouldnt be surprised what was he last time 276?

fitzparker wrote: »

I wonder is Big John playing silly buggers ,
    Last time everything he said was correct so Wilder & his team might be paying close attention to him now , So he could lead them on like Tyson isn't interested,

Even if he is serious Fury took a month off when he went to see Billy Joe fight & was relaxing i think Big John was just afraid he would go off the rails,
    Tyson probably need that time because he will be flat out since the fight was announced,

Wilder only has 12 rounds if you stand off him,
    If Fury does what he does last time then Wilder has 2 or 3 rounds to land before he is constantly on the back foot & knackered ,

Bit too much being made here about mind games.

Two big lads step into the ring to fight.

They’ll do what they are trained and born to do. And one will win and the other, lose!!

Or a draw!

Would any of you be of the opinion that Wilder needs to put on a bit of weight, would it be a benefit or a negative?

I would be more imploring Wilder to simply try avoid in close action....

Fury is just bigger, heavier, stronger....and more importantly, far more at ease and comfortable in close mauling and maneuvering and pushing around

Wilder with added weight? Really, is it going to make him physically stronger? Naturally better inside? I don't think it is advisable. It may actually see him tire quicker.

Wilder needs to land his big shots...they are big no matter what he weighs.....

Needs that spring and speed and surprise to get it....

walshb wrote: »
    I would be more imploring Wilder to simply try avoid in close action....

Fury is just bigger, heavier, stronger....and more importantly, far more at ease and comfortable in close mauling and maneuvering and pushing around

Wilder with added weight? Really, is it going to make him physically stronger? Naturally better inside? I don't think it is advisable. It may actually see him tire quicker.

Wilder needs to land his big shots...they are big no matter what he weighs.....

Needs that spring and speed and surprise to get it....

Agree with this
    Wilder should be working on footwork footwork and more footwork , if he can not get away from Fury he is in trouble again ,
    We seen he can't set himself going backwards for his big punches, so he needs to learn how to move and set up his big shots while on the move,

I actually think mentality in this one plays a bigger part than normal , Wilder is brash,bold & a bully, history tells us when these type of guys lose once they lose an edge ,

I think Wilder has still not come to terms with the last fight & if he doesn't look at his flaws truthfully he will lose again ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Wilder tried to do the same thing all the time, a jab to judge the distance and then try the huge right hand. It's been a winning formula in the past, but Fury was wise to it and destroyed him. I think Wilder will have to try and mix it up a bit this time, but realistically his path to victory is through that big right. But he'll have to be a little less predictable if he can.
    You couldn't write off Wilder because of the power, but of the top heavyweights Fury is the one he has least chance against. Hopefully Wilder's costume is lighter this time;)

I see Wilders latest interview with some yes man who wont ask any hard question and even said "i know u won the first fight" well Wilder tells him he wants a body on his record and wants it to be Fury, im, sorry but what an absolute clown talk like that should get u a ban,

I really hope Fury send him into retirement now

I see Wilders latest interview with some yes man who wont ask any hard question and even said "i know u won the first fight" well Wilder tells him he wants a body on his record and wants it to be Fury, im, sorry but what an absolute clown talk like that should get u a ban,

I really hope Fury send him into retirement now

Ach it’s just silly talk it doesn’t really endanger anyone.

I think wilders chance is to let everyone think he’s done including fury. If fury performs he wins but if he’s not on it then wilder can easily ko him

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

So eddie Hearn has said there will be a rematch clause in the Aj v Usyk contract
    Frank Warren said if joyce beats takam then he’s number a mandatory for the winner of wilder v fury

If that all comes together then Aj v fury will never happen

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement

Ach it’s just silly talk it doesn’t really endanger anyone.

I think wilders chance is to let everyone think he’s done including fury. If fury performs he wins but if he’s not on it then wilder can easily ko him

I think this day and age saying things like that is totally out of line & bad for the sport,

These guys have wife's & children saying you want a body on your recorded makes you scum & in my eyes makes you less of man ,

Only the other day the whole of footballs world wide fan base where praying Erikson was ok that how sport should be regardless of what sport,
    Win,lose or draw but hope everyone one goes home in one peace

Honestly i have never wanted to see a fighter get sparked as much in my life after them comments , even more so because this has been a consent thing from Wilder over the last few years
    One minute praising Jesus the next talking like that what a clown, I said on here before he speak & acts like he thinks he is in some corny 80's action movie the lad needs mental help ,

Advertisement