Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheelset or powermeter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Seriously though, unless you plan on making use of a PM for training, then a wheelset sounds like the better choice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Daroxtar wrote: »
    You can post your current crankset to 4iiii and they'll fit the PM to it. That's what I've done, should be back to me the end of next week.

I was looking at this, what is the tax/customs issue with this? I can only see their Canadian site and worry I would get double stung for import tax, and how much is the customs in total?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

CramCycle wrote: »
    I was looking at this, what is the tax/customs issue with this? I can only see their Canadian site and worry I would get double stung for import tax, and how much is the customs in total?
    Ok, this is a bit weird, but I was just looking at this (for my GRX crank that's now spare - could move the 105 to something else). I only found experiences from the UK, but they seemed to shy away because of the VAT/ Customs issue v new options. Although presumably that was for more standard crank lengths.

fwiw for me, if I felt the need, a new 105 looks a guaranteed price option, but I'm on 172.5mm cranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I sent my crank to Canada last Monday. The label for FedEx that 4iiii provided was marked as a return and repair, value of $10. I haven't heard anything from customs and the crank is due for delivery to me this afternoon so I'm assuming their label was marked the same. I'll know more if the darling wife intercepts the package and gets hit for a bill on the doorstep :D

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Ok, this is a bit weird, but I was just looking at this (for my GRX crank that's now spare - could move the 105 to something else). I only found experiences from the UK, but they seemed to shy away because of the VAT/ Customs issue v new options. Although presumably that was for more standard crank lengths.

fwiw for me, if I felt the need, a new 105 looks a guaranteed price option, but I'm on 172.5mm cranks.

My local shop has a dual sided 105 in 165mm and I am tempted but I, very shallowly, have a nice bike for the first time and everything is Ultegra, and I am being stupid, but I kind of want it to be Ultegra or higher. Once I lose my first race this year though I will get over that and settle for 105.

• Advertisement

I sent my crank to Canada last Monday. The label for FedEx that 4iiii provided was marked as a return and repair, value of $10. I haven't heard anything from customs and the crank is due for delivery to me this afternoon so I'm assuming their label was marked the same. I'll know more if the darling wife intercepts the package and gets hit for a bill on the doorstep :D
    Let us know!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭comete

Having had power meters off and on over the years, sure, they’re unbeatable as a training tool when your head is in it, but when your head isn’t in it then it’s just an expensive graph on strava.

I had a spell off the bike earlier this year, and coming back to it my sole aim for any spin is to hang in with the fast group and take as many turns as possible before I’m chewing the bars at the back and skipping turns. In other words they dictate the effort, not my power meter. I rarely train alone anymore, and when I do I don’t really look at my garmin, so power has become irrelevant for me at this moment in time.

My 105 4iiii (which I had on an otherwise dura ace equipped bike) disintegrated and is going back for warranty repair, and I don’t really miss it. I’ll probably bump up my sale ad when I get it back after the repair.

Conversely, I had a spoke snap on Sundays spin, and have just pulled the trigger on hunt 36/50 wheels because they had them in stock for immediate dispatch because I didn’t want to be forced to take more time off the bike. I’ll get my hope wheels rebuilt for wetter days and winter, or in the event my new wheels need repairs.

TLDR, power is great if you’ve the head for consistent training, spare wheels are great so you’re not off the bike due to mechanicals, so I say use the voucher to buy your partner a surprise gift and get a set of midrange spare wheels :)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

I mentioned earlier in thread about using a power meter for pacing a hill and another use case came up at weekend. There were two of us off the main group a bit in no mans land between a faster group and a slower group behind. I found the power meter useful again to judge my efforts when it was my turn to pull to keep it steady/manageable for my ‘teammate’.

In saying this though I’m not a very experienced cyclist in these situations so I suppose for someone with more experience they can judge their efforts based on feel, without a power meter. For me though I do find it helps avoid going into the red unintentionally.

For longer efforts your heart rate is just as good for gauging your effort.

The more I think about it the less I want a power meter, I love numbers but only out of interest, I have zero intention of changing from my well rounded race tactics of going from the gun, blowing up, getting caught, and doing it again. Wheels are ordered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭G1032

comete wrote: »
    For longer efforts your heart rate is just as good for gauging your effort.

It isn't really

G1032 wrote: »
    It isn't really

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭G1032

comete wrote: »
    Why not?

Because in a properly done longer effort, (10 minutes or more), your HR will rise slowly over the first couple of minutes and then flatten out for the remainder of the effort. If you're tired it might take even longer to rise to the flat line, but this can differ from person to person. My HR for example rises much quicker when I'm tired.

The tendancy on these longer efforts when only using HR is to get the HR to the target and try hold it for the effort. 9 times out of 10 this will mean you're overshooting your target wattage. HR I find shoots up too quickly when you're riding to a HR target. The first couple of minutes of a threshold effort for example always seem too easy to me when riding to power. But 10 minutes in you know it's bang on. With only HR to gauge effort it's next to impossible to trust that initial couple of minutes as a correct effort.

You also tend to react to changes in HR brought on by going up inclines or down descents and subsequently change your power output. If you're maintaining a constant power your HR doesn't shift really significantly..

Even on long endurance rides with HR only, I used to find that in order to keep my HR average within the prescribed range I could end up spending maybe 20% time in the wrong HR zone. When riding to a power target HR stays within the correct zones. Of course there are really no such things as zones, meaning that HR zones are kind of a continuum. Like if your upper Z2 is 140 BPM then 142 isn't going up give your a different physiological response, but when riding to power as opposed to HR your much more likely to hit a consistent HR.

Basically with HR you're training to an output. With power you're training to the input.

Because in a properly done longer effort, (10 minutes or more), your HR will rise slowly over the first couple of minutes and then flatten out for the remainder of the effort. If you're tired it might take even longer to rise to the flat line, but this can differ from person to person. My HR for example rises much quicker when I'm tired.

The tendancy on these longer efforts when only using HR is to get the HR to the target and try hold it for the effort. 9 times out of 10 this will mean you're overshooting your target wattage. HR I find shoots up too quickly when you're riding to a HR target. The first couple of minutes of a threshold effort for example always seem too easy to me when riding to power. But 10 minutes in you know it's bang on. With only HR to gauge effort it's next to impossible to trust that initial couple of minutes as a correct effort.

You also tend to react to changes in HR brought on by going up inclines or down descents and subsequently change your power output. If you're maintaining a constant power your HR doesn't shift really significantly..

Even on long endurance rides with HR only, I used to find that in order to keep my HR average within the prescribed range I could end up spending maybe 20% time in the wrong HR zone. When riding to a power target HR stays within the correct zones. Of course there are really no such things as zones, meaning that HR zones are kind of a continuum. Like if your upper Z2 is 140 BPM then 142 isn't going up give your a different physiological response, but when riding to power as opposed to HR your much more likely to hit a consistent HR.

Basically with HR you're training to an output. With power you're training to the input.

Actually quite the opposite, hr is the input, power is the output.

Many factors impact your heart rate, which one should know to listen to, but the worry with training to power is the tendency to ignore the input and focus on the output, which can lead to bigger issues.

Look I’m not denying powermeters are great, of course they are, but are they essential, imo no. I had just as average a season training solely to hr as I did to power, and actually my best season to date was done by training to perceived exertion and learning how to race.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I got a 4iiii power meter for my birthday a few months ago. I don't race or have a training plan, I just go out and ride. Not even a fan of intervals. I just throw average power on the Garmin and try keep it up at a number I know is a reasonable effort. It's nice to put a measurement to my effort if I'm smashing a hill or sprinting a segment plus it's more accurate for calorie counting. At €290 as a birthday treat and on a bike that hasn't needed any upgrades for 4 years it was a no brainer.

Of all the numbers to look at from time, distance, speed or meters climbed I feel power is the only number that's actually useful to me as I don't do a ton of cycling.

Your hr can vary significantly depending on how well rested you are. Relying on hr, I was absolutely shattered on the last day of a week long cycling holiday. Couldnt get the hr much above 150 and I was in the red at that where I'd usually be climbing steadily. Got a PM shortly after that and it was great for intervals for training. The following year on holidays I rode to power on the climbs and there was a huge difference as the week went on. HR was dropping as the fatigue was creeping in but I could sustain a set wattage and had loads in the tank when I needed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Personally I'd love to be able to train effectively based on perceived effort, but it's a skill I don't possess, I'm rubbish at it. I've tried training with heart rate, and for mainly the same reason of being rubbish at moderating my effort, I struggled to make a go of it. I got a power meter to try to overcome my own shortcomings.

The power meter made a huge difference to the quality and effectiveness of my training. But the power meter itself is just a tool of course, it's only useful if I use it well/properly. And the truth is that, while the power meter provides me with what I consider more useful feedback than HR, it's following a (TrainerRoad) training plan that has really made the difference for me in terms of training quality. In the absence of a decent training plan, the power meter would still be a useful tool for me, but it would be an extravagance that would be a lot harder to justify to myself.

Re the power meter turning rides into a chore, I'm certainly prone to that issue myself when my main focus during a ride is that power display. But I would be the very same if I was training to HR, I'd still be focused on a number, just a different number. The tool isn't the issue there as much as me, I could just ignore the numbers but I know the training benefit of the ride would suffer. To a certain extent that's just the natural consequence of focusing on trying to get faster on the bike, the balance shifts from "going for a ride" to "getting maximum training benefit' more often than not. I can't blame the tools for that, just my inclination to focus on future goals rather than the in-the-moment fun of riding a bike.

So for me, training to power has been very worthwhile, but it's about more than just the tool itself. Of course, you don't necessarily need a power meter to train to power. If you are happy to train regularly on a turbo then either a smart trainer, or training with virtual power, are just as useful and might(!) be cheaper.

As for wheels, I like wheels, I like building wheels, I've been mucking about with wheels for years and spent longer than that reading about other people mucking about with wheels. While I consider good wheels hugely beneficial, my idea of what constitutes "good wheels" has shifted and changed a lot over the years.

Like many people I drool over many of the top-end factory wheels available, but very few of them remain on my fantasy shopping list. I know that good wheels will make me marginally faster (quality bearings, aero rims, light weight, etc.), but I'm now a lot more honest with myself about exactly how small that marginal difference is, and how hard it would hit my pocket. Nowadays I'm much more inclined to think about whether the wheels are repairable if I break a spoke, or damage a rim, or how easy it will be to replace the bearings when that becomes necessary, etc.

Many many wheelsets start to look a bit sheepish when viewed from that perspective. Factor in value for money, as subjective as that is, and I instantly rule out many more options. That leaves me with the option of building my own, or opting for professionally hand-built wheels that I know I'll be able to maintain no matter what happens to them over time - in either case I get a great deal of freedom to choose the various components myself, and I'll know what I'm getting (e.g. I can buy an actual Kinlin-branded rim rather than one that has been rebranded to look like something else, or buy a Miche or Bitex -branded hub rather than the very same hub with a different name and a significant price hike). Maybe it's an age thing, but those things matter a lot more to me now that they ever used to in the past.

All of this is too late to count as telling you how to spend your money of course, since you've done that already. But that doesn't matter, because the best purchase is the one you are happy with rather than one which someone else swears blind is the "best thing ever". I'd some up my thoughts as:

Buy a power meter if you want to get faster on a bike. But only if you don't have the skill to train effectively on perceived effort, and you are willing to commit to a regular training schedule.

Buy a wheelset if you want to make your life easier in the long run with a pair of decent wheels with a long and reliable lifespan. But that means choosing the wheelset based on factors which often don't make their way into the marketing blurb. And I'd suggest looking at hand-built wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I really like that description of it actually. I know people use the term "putting out" for power, but it's an instantaneous measurement of the effort you're "putting in" and HR is the laggy measure of the cardio/respiratory systemic result or reaction to that effort.

Let us know!

PM arrived, no customs charges. Happy days

Turns out the 10 speed GRX isn't compatible anyway! Although do have 105 and Ultegra cranks that could go!

• Advertisement

How was it labelled? Was it listed as "Return and Repair" incoming too?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

fat bloke wrote: »
    That's fair enough. You like what you like. I was a firm fan of SPD-SL's too but then I got the PM as a pressie and had to switch to Look. If I were to claim that I noticed even the tiniest of infinitesimal differences between the two, I would be lying :).

I presume you know that the new Garmin Rally is available for SPD SL and are still discounting on price. But if it is as it appears to be - basically a properly and finally (!) totally sorted Vector 3 system, then it should be really good.

Also, as a powermeter user for a long time now - I would not pay the premium for dual sided. Single is perfect. All you need is a number and for that number to have some element of consistency.
    Good to get the feedback on the Look Vs SPD-SL. It's one of the things that is making me hesitate about buying the Favero pedals. I was waiting to see when the Garmin's came out in SPD sl form. But now that they have come out the price is just stupid. Where are they discounting price as you mention above?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

If you are not planning on training with power, then there's no point having a power meter. However if you are considering it, then you'll get a lot more out of the €280 spent on the powermeter than the €1100 on the disc wheel. Way more, in fact..

gn3dr wrote: »
    Good to get the feedback on the Look Vs SPD-SL. It's one of the things that is making me hesitate about buying the Favero pedals. I was waiting to see when the Garmin's came out in SPD sl form. But now that they have come out the price is just stupid. Where are they discounting price as you mention above?

Sorry, that was an unfortunate choice of words. I meant that the OP had discounted/eliminated the idea of buying the Garmin pedal, based on price.

I cracked and bought both, 4iiii single sided 165mm Ultegra, from Cigala cycling, cheaper than everywhere else and in stock, delivered in 3 days. Training starts Monday.
    Wheels from HUNT will be end of July: https://eu.huntbikewheels.com/collections/road-cx-disc-brake-wheels/products/hunt-30carbon-aero-disc-road-wheelset-1319g-30deep-27wide-999?variant=31723747803191

Wahey!!! Good call. Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Seems like you’ve been getting a few eye openers racing hence the power meter!

More Shimano pedals on the way...
    https://cyclingtips.com/2021/06/confirmed-shimano-compatible-favero-assioma-power-meter-pedals-are-on-the-way/
    How was it labelled? Was it listed as "Return and Repair" incoming too?
    Any update on this Daroxtar - was the incoming from 4iii labelled return and repair or was it customs lottery?

I cracked and bought both, 4iiii single sided 165mm Ultegra, from Cigala cycling,
    More Shimano pedals on the way...?

F*ck off Favero, I waited and waited and waited, you had your chance with me.

• Advertisement

I'm still interested as to whether they'll be SPD compatible. I have the spare ultegra crank I could send to 4iiii to cover all my regular use bikes, but it would probably be in the running just for ease of transfer on to any bike.

Advertisement