Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheelset or powermeter

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

CramCycle wrote: »
    F*ck off Favero, I waited and waited and waited, you had your chance with me.

Welcome to the club. I'm still waiting on the promise of a Speedplay compatible power meter. :D Had really high hopes for Brim Brothers being an Irish company. Wahoo announced that with their acquisition of speedplay, they'd be releasing a power meter this "Summer". Here's to hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Macy0161 wrote: »
    More Shimano pedals on the way...
    https://cyclingtips.com/2021/06/confirmed-shimano-compatible-favero-assioma-power-meter-pedals-are-on-the-way/

Any update on this Daroxtar - was the incoming from 4iii labelled return and repair or was it customs lottery?

Well funny that you mention it..... The package arrived with no paperwork other than the address label. I got an email from FedEx on Friday to tell me I owe them €80 for the luxury of them paying customs for me. It's an estimated bill including €15 fees for them so I told them to send me the detailed breakdown including invoice from customs.
    A bill is a bill so I'll pay and it's still a cheap powermeter, but I'm going to contest their fees as I never agreed with them or authorized them to pay customs on my behalf

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Well funny that you mention it..... The package arrived with no paperwork other than the address label. I got an email from FedEx on Friday to tell me I owe them €80 for the luxury of them paying customs for me. It's an estimated bill including €15 fees for them so I told them to send me the detailed breakdown including invoice from customs.
    A bill is a bill so I'll pay and it's still a cheap powermeter, but I'm going to contest their fees as I never agreed with them or authorized them to pay customs on my behalf

FedEx try this. I told them to go f*CK themselves essentially but in more diplomatic terms. No issues paying the duty but they were to inform me of any charges before I'd accept delivery.

There's a Reddit thread about it with a nice template letter to send to them.

No other courier does it that way that I know of. I'm always told upfront what their fee is and FedEx pluck figures seemingly out of nowhere

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Be cautious, Fed Ex have never released without payment to anyone I know in the past and I got a fake email from someone purporting to be them with enough info including invoice number only a week ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

CramCycle wrote: »
    Be cautious, Fed Ex have never released without payment to anyone I know in the past and I got a fake email from someone purporting to be them with enough info including invoice number only a week ago.

FedEx deliver the item and then bill a few weeks later these days. It's a lousy practice. The other way is at least upfront

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    FedEx deliver the item and then bill a few weeks later these days. It's a lousy practice. The other way is at least upfront

LOL, I presumed it was a sketch email so reported as spam/phishing. I am happy to pay customs but I ain't clicking on a site that looks dodgy even if Reddit say it is legit. Fed Ex never done it before to me so I had to assume it was BS.

I think mine is about €22.15 owed in VAT, and they went looking for about €35. Happy to pay the €22.15. I reported it as spam or phishing and heard nothing back from Google, so if ye hadn't mentioned it I never would have thought about it again.

I'll call them tomorrow morning and if legit I'll pay the VAT if a detailed invoice is provided, or I will calculate it myself and send it to revenue and send them a confirmation letter that VAT is paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I'm still interested as to whether they'll be SPD compatible. I have the spare ultegra crank I could send to 4iiii to cover all my regular use bikes, but it would probably be in the running just for ease of transfer on to any bike.

The Assioma pedals can be converted to SPD -based power meters by swapping the body. It's a hack, and requires a specific SPD pedal body to swap with, but people seem to have done it successfully.

If the SPDs are for an off-road bike though then you obviously have to contend with the risk of trashing your power meter with an unlucky pedal strike. Just one reason why crankset spider -based power meters are more popular for off-road riding as their location automatically gives them some extra protection.

Daroxtar wrote: »

Could you argue the toss since it was a return and repair on the out going label, could you send that to them and tell them to go swing, or pay 2.30euro in VAT although to be petty, it might be considered a service and only be 1.35euro. Just to be petty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

doozerie wrote: »
    The Assioma pedals can be converted to SPD -based power meters by swapping the body. It's a hack, and requires a specific SPD pedal body to swap with, but people seem to have done it successfully.
    I'm well aware, and have considered it. But it's too much money for me to void the warranty. These are potentially interesting as if they're coming without the pedal body, there's a some cross compatibility from road shimano and spd (and flat). Not your cheapest spd pedals but some.

I think I'm over thinking it though - I have a 4iiii on my gravel bike now, so really SPD-SL would really cover the requirements. If I even need another power meter*.

*I'm with TrainerRoad for the long haul, and with adaptive training already in closed beta, it feels more important to have as many spins with power as possible to make full use!

Advertisement