Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we excited yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Because very few people can afford to spend 30-40k for just 1btc so they go for other coins hoping to become rich one day soon. It is also that zeroes mentality it is always more enticing to have couple hundreds or thousands of "something" than having 0.000XYZ of btc.
    That is why you see people posting that they bought 100k "sats" as it sound bolder than saying they bought 0.001btc.
    I thought it was exchange owners and bots

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭patnor1011

FFVII wrote: »
    I thought it was exchange owners and bots

Could be that too but do not underestimate power of a little man when greed is involved. A lot of people think they missed on btc train so they try to get in on something else expecting similar returns. Countless pump and dump groups racing to make money...
    I get it, some projects really look good and interesting yet it is very hard to say which one will make it, stay long enough or even just survive. So many promising projects are already forgotten and money moved elsewhere.
    And then, we also have quite a few big ones which do not make much of a sense. What is litecoin other than "but it was the second one"? Doge? I pretty much stopped looking for reason why this one or that one and the worst you can do is to try to reason with believer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Is BTC gonna hit 40k tonight/tomorrow morning?

Expect all the YT videos titled BTC going to the moon - 100k guaranteed!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭BrandonBay86

Because very few people can afford to spend 30-40k for just 1btc so they go for other coins hoping to become rich one day soon. It is also that zeroes mentality it is always more enticing to have couple hundreds or thousands of "something" than having 0.000XYZ of btc.
    That is why you see people posting that they bought 100k "sats" as it sound bolder than saying they bought 0.001btc.

Lmao

People post in sats because Satoshis are a unit.

When buying a can of coke in your local shop does the shop keeper ask for 0.9 euro or 90 cents ?

Absolute bold mad b4stard if he asks for 90 cents

Lmao

People post in sats because Satoshis are a unit.

When buying a can of coke in your local shop does the shop keeper ask for 0.9 euro or 90 cents ?

Absolute bold mad b4stard if he asks for 90 cents

Not really. There are people who do have bitcoin or few. They will hardly be talking that they do have say 865,000,000 satoshis. 8,65 is faster to say and understand too. But as I said I get it, to say "I acquired 100k sats" is fancier than "I bought 40 bucks" worth of bitcoin.
    I do not think that people will be using bitcoin to buy trivial stuff like can of coke.
    Well, if you mean Colombian stuff then perhaps can of it may cost 0.90 btc but then I would venture that seller would ask for 0.90 btc and not for 90,000.000 of satoshis.

Please do not be offended. I remember people who could not get btc when it was going for like thousand dollars so they went for doge. That way they could have couple hundred thousands of coins and feel little bit like "they rich". Those of them who hodl it then really made it and "got rich" (depending on how much they had and if they sold it before elon sold them out).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ConseyMan

OMG just checked the news, Will Elon Musk just F**k off already.

Honestly, nothing but good news for two weeks, mining council, El Salvador, saylor, convention, ripple etc and the price just weekend drops, that's all.

One dumb ass tweet from Elon Musk and we're testing $40k.

Honestly with el salvador taking on Btc and seemingly a scramble in Latin America to follow suit, one just has to imagine all the Liquidity that is going to bring to btc then crypto then Defi. This could result in the vast majority of remittances, then savings then commerce for latin America in crypto within two to three years, easy. Then the world.

No Elon tweets from on high how Tesla may accept Btc for it's carbon credit scam on wheels and the price tests $40k.

We really need to mature as a market if we're to move forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭djan

Seems like coinmarketcap has some issues.

Nearly fell off the chair seeing total market cap at 500 odd billion with the likes of tether, cardano and doge falling by 75%. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 64,837 ✭✭✭✭unkel

delly wrote: »
    'When there’s confirmation of reasonable (~50%) clean energy usage by miners with positive future trend, Tesla will resume allowing Bitcoin transactions.'

Musk has known full well all along that bitcoin mining uses a lot of energy. He has also known full well that a lot of this is from renewable energy. A quick google shows various sources stating it's about 75%

I think the market manipulation with these tweets is some sort of game to him. He's pretty much the richest man on the planet and I doubt he does it for personal financial gain

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭BrandonBay86

Do 51% of Tesla superchargers use nothing but green energy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,734 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Do 51% of Tesla superchargers use nothing but green energy ?

There is a very smart and forward thinking Australian iron ore mining magnate called Andrew Forrest.
    Forrest describes Musk as “someone who peddles a battery technology as green – when it runs on fossil fuel”.

I think things are shaping up so batteries will be sidelined by hydrogen and Honda will be vindicated.

• Advertisement

I don't think there's anything wrong with pushing for more renewable energies even if your own house isn't squeaky clean

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

40k hit, 50k next week

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cryptcrapto

Not really. There are people who do have bitcoin or few. They will hardly be talking that they do have say 865,000,000 satoshis. 8,65 is faster to say and understand too. But as I said I get it, to say "I acquired 100k sats" is fancier than "I bought 40 bucks" worth of bitcoin.
    I do not think that people will be using bitcoin to buy trivial stuff like can of coke.
    Well, if you mean Colombian stuff then perhaps can of it may cost 0.90 btc but then I would venture that seller would ask for 0.90 btc and not for 90,000.000 of satoshis.

That's pretty condescending to be fair and I don't even think it is correct. First off people are using BTC for micro payments, via the Lightning Network. The reason that the President of El Salvador made his decision last week was that he was partly inspired by a small community in his country who have been doing just that for the past 2 years. It is also being used in other developing countries as well.

If people are paying $5 worth of something via BTC for something then it's a hell of a lot easier to say than 12,500 satoshis than it is 0.000125 BTC

• Registered Users Posts: 64,837 ✭✭✭✭unkel

cnocbui wrote: »
    I think things are shaping up so batteries will be sidelined by hydrogen and Honda will be vindicated.

Nope, hydrogen for cars is never going to take off. Honda and Toyota were completely wrong and kept betting on this dying horse. Battery electric cars have gone mainstream this year even in Ireland. We will soon all drive them. But that's for a different forum.

That's pretty condescending to be fair and I don't even think it is correct. First off people are using BTC for micro payments, via the Lightning Network. The reason that the President of El Salvador made his decision last week was that he was partly inspired by a small community in his country who have been doing just that for the past 2 years. It is also being used in other developing countries as well.

If people are paying $5 worth of something via BTC for something then it's a hell of a lot easier to say than 12,500 satoshis than it is 0.000125 BTC

Oh well. We live in a time when you cant even say good morning to someone as he may get offended.
    Yes you are right if you spend minuscule amounts it may be easier to call them with their fractional name but then again I do not think bitcoin will be used in that way. Not with current fees anyway.
    Most of the people count money in dollars or euros so when I say I just sent 50 dollars to binance and bought btc I can guarantee that 9 out of 10 random people will have an idea about what I did. If you say that you got 100k satoshis I would say that 9 out of 10 random people will have no clue what or how much that means.
    Keep it simple I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

unkel wrote: »
    Nope, hydrogen for cars is never going to take off. Honda and Toyota were completely wrong and kept betting on this dying horse. Battery electric cars have gone mainstream this year even in Ireland. We will soon all drive them. But that's for a different forum.
    nope, their will be an overlap of all of them for a whilebut hydrogen is gonna be top dog in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

FFVII wrote: »
    nope, their will be an overlap of all of them for a whilebut hydrogen is gonna be top dog in the end.

There is a shortage of the parts that make batteries especially if every car in the world is using them in the future and the batteries don't last forever as they need to be replaced so with everyone needing them and older electric cars need new batteries there will be 100% a shortage.

edit: Sorry wasn't meant to quote you but the post you quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Anyone know what happened last night when there was a sudden drop in a few.
    XRP day range says it went as low as 0.21.

Haven't been keeping up on things lately.

Jeff2 wrote: »

What currency. I just looked up XRP euro and it never dropped any where near 0.21 yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Xaniaj

There was a pricing feed earlier, presume that was it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

unkel wrote: »
    I think the market manipulation with these tweets is some sort of game to him. He's pretty much the richest man on the planet and I doubt he does it for personal financial gain

For sure. The fact that he didn't think of or create bitcoin or blockchain p!sses him off to no end so he resorts to petty childishness just to garner more attention. Nothing would delight him more than for the whole market to crash back into irrelevancy

He's a clown and his followers are even bigger clowns.

What currency. I just looked up XRP euro and it never dropped any where near 0.21 yesterday.

Yesterday 14th.

Euro.

Yesterday 14th.

Euro.

I looked up charts that goes in 15mins range and seen no dip like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

I'd wager Yahoo scrubs their data from CoinMarketCap which had a bug for a few mins where all cryptos appeared to've dropped in price. Even stablecoins had a 70% drop

I looked up charts that goes in 15mins range and seen no dip like that.

Yahoo and XRP LTC and DOGE dropped at the same time load amount at the same time.
    Wish I was watching it. :)

grindle wrote: »
    I'd wager Yahoo scrubs their data from CoinMarketCap which had a bug for a few mins where all cryptos appeared to've dropped in price. Even stablecoins had a 70% drop

No bitcoins and ETH didn't drop

From what I see. .

Anyway nice money to be made now. :)

Yeah there was a problem with coinmarket. I had a heart attack when I checked it yesterday and it said
    The global crypto market cap is $508.87B, a 66.15% decrease over the last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Microstrategy looking to buy more bitcoin (1 billion) in addition to the 500 million they raised yesterday.

Going to be very hard for bitcoin to drop to 20k as predicted by most with such a large amount of supply being locked away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

The guest, a self proclaimed 'expert', got so many basic facts wrong. Hard to take seriously. He claimed that all bitcoin will be mined by 2040. He's off by a 100 years. Said there's 11 million bitcoin in circulation. Sounds like he quickly read Wikipedia before the podcast, but not very well.

You are spot on. I listened to it last night & I couldn't believe the sh1t that came out of his mouth and the woman from the FT was just as bad.

That comment about the 11 million in circulation was a WTF moment for me :D.

If your gonna get an "expert" on your show your better off getting someone from the crypto community not some so-called:rolleyes: "blockchain expert"

Mcwilliams is just as bad about banks and gold and he thinks Crypto is all mumbo jumbo.

The toothpaste is out of the tube and cant be put back in. Crypto is not going anywhere and the banks are gritting teeth as they begrudgingly get into the crypto space to make money.

I would have loved from someone on here to be countering that pleb on the podcast :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 cryptcrapto

Yes you are right if you spend minuscule amounts it may be easier to call them with their fractional name but then again I do not think bitcoin will be used in that way. Not with current fees anyway.

But it is being used that way. Not in Ireland or the USA but in developing countries that either have weak currencies prone to inflation or no easily accessible banking systems (or often both). By using a layer 2 technology, like the Lightning network, the transactions are abstracted away from the blockchain which massively reduces transaction fees and allows for micropayments to be carried out.
    Most of the people count money in dollars or euros so when I say I just sent 50 dollars to binance and bought btc I can guarantee that 9 out of 10 random people will have an idea about what I did. If you say that you got 100k satoshis I would say that 9 out of 10 random people will have no clue what or how much that means.
    Keep it simple I would say.

That depends entirely on who you are talking to and the context of the conversation. If you're telling your friend who doesn't know the first thing about cryptos (which, yes will be 9 out of 10 random people) then, yes, you're going to need to use a reference FIAT currency.

However if someone is on a forum like this one explaining their DCA strategy where they buy the same amount of bitcoin or ETH each week then it would only make sense for them to talk in crypto units.

So, no with reference to your original quote that sparked this exchange I don't believe that the poster was using 100k satoshis to "sound bolder".

Advertisement