Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we excited yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,733 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Feel free to point out a single negative post. I've been through this a few times already. Not one person who said I was being negative about anything was subsequently able to identify a post to back up their assertion when called out on it.

Same as the one or two sneery posters who failed to respond with anything other than further sneers when asked what their professional experience in financial markets :pac: I was genuinely asking, given that they seemed to be so dismissive of others

There are a couple of posters on here that do work in that general area and have a bit of knowledge. They aren't the ones sneering though. You generally find that though - the ones with least to say make the most noise.

Speaking of signal to noise ratios - could you please remind us as to which crypto you have traded, and which ones you are currently holding? I'm assuming given the level of noise, it must be quite a portfolio and some experience you have there.

And please put the appeals to professional expertise and superiority to bed: Some time ago, some academics at a university in the UK did an analysys of the performance of the flash boy traders in the city who worked for trading banks: the boxter and 911 driving lads who inspired the term yuppie. They found that some of these young tyros did indeed have some great winning streaks in their share picks and trades, but that looking beyond these streaks to a multi-year frame of reference, the share picking and trade performance of all these professional and highly rewarded traders became indistinguishable from random chance.

As my father once said to me: 'give me a gifted amateur over most professionals, any day.'

• Registered Users Posts: 19,072 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

cnocbui wrote: »
    Speaking of signal to noise ratios - could you please remind us as to which crypto you have traded, and which ones you are currently holding? I'm assuming given the level of noise, it must be quite a portfolio and some experience you have there.

And please put the appeals to professional expertise and superiority to bed: Some time ago, some academics at a university in the UK did an analysys of the performance of the flash boy traders in the city who worked for trading banks: the boxter and 911 driving lads who inspired the term yuppie. They found that some of these young tyros did indeed have some great winning streaks in their share picks and trades, but that looking beyond these streaks to a multi-year frame of reference, the share picking and trade performance of all these professional and highly rewarded traders became indistinguishable from random chance.

As my father once said to me: 'give me a gifted amateur over most professionals, any day.'

Except I don't really need to remind you do I? - I've said it many times and plenty have commented on the fact that I don't buy it. Don't mix up being able to click on a gamified app and hopefully being lucky with actual knowledge and information about how markets work and how to protect yourself.

Listen, you are free to do what you want. I appreciate that you probably don't understand a lot of the points I make. It doesn't bother me. Grindle above referred to another poster cutting at others for not understanding terminology. What is the point of that? I'm not going to get annoyed when you don't understand points I make. That's your loss - not mine.

Your little alpha anecdote is not news and is not unique to "flash boy traders". The difference is that they will generally have controls in place (actually imposed on them in reality). Many traders are actually technically very limited in my own experience. But they still get respect because they are closest to the money.

You are free to ignore any and all of my posts. They are not for you. If they make any other new poster think twice before being sucked into cultish beliefs then that's good. If they don't then no harm done.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭pioneerpro

You are free to ignore any and all of my posts. They are not for you. If they make any other new poster think twice before being sucked into cultish beliefs then that's good. If they don't then no harm done.

Do you honestly think there's some voiceless majority out there who find you helpful?

image.png

If you're going to be superior windbag, at least try and be funny with it like dirk and his alts.

cnocbui wrote: »

And please put the appeals to professional expertise and superiority to bed:

...'

I appreciate that you probably don't understand a lot of the points I make.

:pac:

pioneerpro wrote: »
    Do you honestly think there's some voiceless majority out there who find you helpful?

image.png

If you're going to be superior windbag, at least try and be funny with it like dirk and his alts.

Here look, you have your memes. So at least that is something.

It's fine. Do your "research" even if that really consists of reading threads on reddit and copying and pasting what you read there to here. At least it is a start. It might even help someone.

It's quite funny really how triggered (to use your own word! ... and that is probably why you thought of it) ye get at anyone who isn't blindly bleating whatever mantra.

• Advertisement

Here look, you have your memes. So at least that is something.

It's fine. Do your "research" even if that really consists of reading threads on reddit and copying and pasting what you read there to here. At least it is a start. It might even help someone.

It's quite funny really how triggered (to use your own word! ... and that is probably why you thought of it) ye get at anyone who isn't blindly bleating whatever mantra.

Awwww Donald, I love you really. You sustain me on red market days, and you make the green ones even funnier.

At some point you might come to your own conclusions as to why my longest post on thread is a detailed summary of Capital Gains Tax liabilities - but please don't do so too soon! There's great some great value to be had in the meantime :D

Awwww Donald, I love you really. You sustain me on red market days, and you make the green ones even funnier.

At some point you might come to your own conclusions as to why my longest post on thread is a detailed summary of Capital Gains Tax liabilities - but please don't do so too soon! There's great some great value to be had in the meantime :D

I honestly don't know why some people get so angry at me. I've only ever made general points such people shouldn't put all their eggs in one basket and not invest more than they can afford to lose. And I have highlighted posts from others that appeared to expressing "certainties".

I've said I don't buy cryptocurrencies but if I did, I'd restrict it to probably a maximum of 5% (although maybe it would really be more like 2%). That's not being negative on cryptocurrencies - it's just recognizing its volatility and also trying to remind about the importance of diversification as a basic risk management exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

I'm surprised that I haven't seen anything about the Binance scam covered in the video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG8LfZoMd_E

• Registered Users Posts: 17,783 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I honestly don't know why some people get so angry at me. I've only ever made general points such people shouldn't put all their eggs in one basket and not invest more than they can afford to lose. And I have highlighted posts from others that appeared to expressing "certainties".

There's a fair bit of tribalism in crypto, it's the nature of it. I've seen more than a few people who are attached to it in the way someone is attached to their favorite football team - and in those circumstances criticism often isn't welcome, typically it's met with hostility, the "them vs us" thing. It's not just the usual monetary conflict of interest, I've never seen anything like it with other financial instruments, basically certain people see it as much more than just numbers and code, put it that way.

I'm a critic of it, but at the end of the day it's outperformed anything else I've ever invested in, by light years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

seannash wrote: »
    I'm surprised that I haven't seen anything about the Binance scam covered in the video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG8LfZoMd_E

If your leveraging 4x and more your capital you're a bit of an idiot, not just in crypto

• Advertisement

Ooooh, Smart AF.

https://www.coindesk.com/strike-usdt-tether-jack-mallers-el-salvador-bitcoin
    Strike, the startup building a bitcoin-based payment system in El Salvador, is phasing out its use of Tether’s USDT stablecoin as a U.S. dollar substitute, CEO Jack Mallers said.

“Tether is no longer a part of anything,” Mallers said on an episode of the “What Bitcoin Did” podcast released last week. “Tether was part of the plan originally because it had to be, because I didn’t have a choice.”

fritzelly wrote: »
    If your leveraging 4x and more your capital you're a bit of an idiot, not just in crypto

Okay thats the standard response to leveraged trading on here but people still had their money stolen when they were supposed to be in a lot of profit. Its robbery regardless of your views of leverage trading.
    And the cleanup operation that Binance is conducting is very shady also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Okay thats the standard response to leveraged trading on here but people still had their money stolen when they were supposed to be in a lot of profit. Its robbery regardless of your views of leverage trading.
    And the cleanup operation that Binance is conducting is very shady also.

Gambling your money in the face of manipulation of an illiquid market is not the whale's problem. Same with a stock market. I've known people who've had to sell their rent accoms just from Arabs battling Russians with oil because that's where they put and lost their money - it's like putting your money in diamonds, you initially trust the embedded "Source-Of-Truth", it won't change their spiel as they seppuku themselves. That's not stolen, that's a bad gamble.

grindle wrote: »
    Gambling your money in the face of manipulation of an illiquid market is not the whale's problem. Same with a stock market. I've known people who've had to sell their rent accoms just from Arabs battling Russians with oil because that's where they put and lost their money - it's like putting your money in diamonds, you initially trust the embedded "Source-Of-Truth", it won't change their spiel as they seppuku themselves. That's not stolen, that's a bad gamble.

It's a point, but a parallel one to the one that's being made.

Simply put Binance, as part of AML/KYC obligations, most would assume to be regulated in some fashion for their futures and leveraging products.

This is roughly akin to someone backing SQQQ as an inverse hedge to QQQ and then watching them go down in lockstep with each other. You win/you lose, you lose/you lose. Even being in the right place at the right time was completely useless when the advertised product was just a straight up fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Time to stop looking at your portfolio. If you value your mental health that is. Pure carnage right now. :D

grindle wrote: »

I'm not sure you looked at the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Jackben75

leverage trade at your peril. Research, invest, hodl, patience, take some profits when it's time. That is all you need to do and you will make money. Lot's of fud happening at the moment, hold strong:cool:

It's a point, but a parallel one to the one that's being made.

Simply put Binance, as part of AML/KYC obligations, most would assume to be regulated in some fashion for their futures and leveraging products.

This is roughly akin to someone backing SQQQ as an inverse hedge to QQQ and then watching them go down in lockstep with each other. You win/you lose, you lose/you lose. Even being in the right place at the right time was completely useless when the advertised product was just a straight up fraud.

Regulated means nothing if you willingly enter into a contract for a specific token with totally different volumes and liquidity which isn't directly correlated to what's on exchange. I'm not saying they're not being bastards, they are. But if you want to gamble on those markets then gamble slowly into their live markets rather than into very low liquidity futures where people can pop things up and down for less than a few hundred thousand.

Bad actors, for sure. Don't play their game. Easy. Stop gambling with crypto, investing in crypto is by far enough gambling for any one human. Too much.

I'm not sure you looked at the video.

I have

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Time to stop looking at your portfolio. If you value your mental health that is. Pure carnage right now. :D

What carnage?
    Everything is still higher than it was a month ago

• Advertisement

What carnage?

I'd say it can be difficult for people who count their money when sitting at the table.

They buy in at 20, see it at 40, imagine it going to 80 and then the next week it drops to 30. That would be just human nature - especially for people starting off. I'm not saying they are right - just that it would be understandable/expected for some people to experience that.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

Guess the attempt by the corrupt elite of a basket case Central American ****hole to scam money out of their own citizens a few weeks ago wasn’t a Sign of anything much at all was it
    Still laughing at the mileage all the pumpers got out of that one- sad thing is some fools believed it

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭shawki

What carnage?

Stage 1: Denial

shawki wrote: »
    Stage 1: Denial

Just stick to your moon coins - sure thing

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭shawki

Just stick to your moon coins - sure thing

Stage 2: Anger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭I see sheep

America is about to ban Bitcoin, just got a text from my friend in law enforcement.

America is about to ban Bitcoin, just got a text from my friend in law enforcement.

Got the same text. It has nothing to do with my short position.

The US actually banned private holding of, or trading in, gold for a good chunk of the 20th century.

Yes, blockchain, decentralised, blah blah blah. But it would still have a massive impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭HillCloudHop

Looking forward to sub 10k BTC again. Will be a good time to accumulate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Looking forward to sub $100 BTC again. Will be a good time to accumulate

Advertisement