Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Why would they give you a new offer if you have 5 months left on current one?
    They don't need to offer you anything mid contract and will just let the contract run out and then they might offer you something.

Because they upped the price, which breaks the contract terms. You can walk away. They do offer a deal to anyone asking for one, but the best deals are simply not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

CoBo55 wrote: »
    He can cancel because of the ridiculous price increases.

Forgot they were jacking them up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭CoBo55

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Forgot they were jacking them up again.

It's ridiculous at this stage, great service but it's getting very expensive now.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Looptheloop30

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Offered €77 pm for 9m then 92 for 3 for Bb, tv and 360 box.

No more budging, best she can offer??

Literally just rang. She went through the whole shebang of what Virgin give re TV, Broadband and Home Phone so just let her rhyme that off.

First thing offered was same as above. Said no chance as could get Vodafone for 45/m for 12months.

Brought it down to 46 for 6 months, 92 for remaining. Again just quoted the Vodafone offer

Without any hesitation she was onto 46 for 9 and 92 for last 3.

There is still a substantial difference between the 2 offers but at least I have the option. Have to do a bit of homework on Vodafone Broadband in this area and make a call on it then

Hope that helps although I'm sure its all been said before

• Registered Users Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭Patser

I'm pretty amazed I've heard nothing from them at all. My cancellation goes through Thursday and not a single call to offer anything.

Maybe my annual haggling their annual increase has us both needing a break. But I feel so unloved:confused:

:P:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭EarWig

Patser wrote: »
    I'm pretty amazed I've heard nothing from them at all. My cancellation goes through Thursday and not a single call to offer anything.

Maybe my annual haggling their annual increase has us both needing a break. But I feel so unloved:confused:

I think because of working from home, people are more reluctant to follow through and cancel. So, they can play harder to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Vmaxer

My cancellation went through last Friday and got no call or text with any additional offer to stay after being a loyal customer for 18 years. They just cut me off at midnight and that was that, won't be going back in a hurry with current pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Craig_David

Vmaxer wrote: »
    My cancellation went through last Friday and got no call or text with any additional offer to stay after being a loyal customer for 18 years. They just cut me off at midnight and that was that, won't be going back in a hurry with current pricing.

Have you considered trying to sign up as a new customer on their website?
    They may not enforce the 2 / 3 month period to qualify as a new customer?

unkel wrote: »
    €45 a month for a 12 month contract for 500Mbps fibre broadband + 80 channels TV. That sounds like a good deal.

Will you do us a favour and post back here tomorrow after the install with how you find them? If good I'll likely go with them too.

Right, very initial impressions:

Technician is gone 20 minutes, took him about 1 hour to fit everything (mostly as we'd never had a land line set up before). Nice lad.

TV box smaller, neater, faster and better than old Horizon box (I've had friends raving about 360 box) - nothing too flashy just it works properly.

Getting 77mbs download speed according to online speed test - we're only in a max 100mbs area - so happy with that. I tested Virgin speed too and only got 76mbs despite being on a 250mbs package - so all the same really.

At more than half price to Virgin, happy so far.

Also fwiw I rang Virgin out of curiosity to ask when they'll collect old machine, and to see what they might offer. Honestly had a conversation that ended with 'Oh, just before you go, when you rang to cancel did anyone offer you our €5 month sim only mobile plan?'. Nothing at all offered to stay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

Upgraded from 500mb (€72) to 1gb (€88) broadband with home phone only. I got €44 for the first six months, then €88 for the next 6 months so averages out at €66 per month for 1gb. Am happy with that as a heavy user, used 2tb last month!

I have a two week cooling off period to see if there is a noticeable difference going from 500mb to 1gb. Also need to upgrade to a V2 modem!

Strangely the email I received after the phone call has no mention of the 6 months at half price! Will have to give them a call back!

• Advertisement

branners69 wrote: »

I have a two week cooling off period to see if there is a noticeable difference going from 500mb to 1gb. Also need to upgrade to a V2 modem!

Are you downloading the entire internet!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

Are you downloading the entire internet!!!

Not quite, 4 kids who insist everything is 4k doesnt help. Am partial to the Euro matches in 4k myself. Seeing as how 4k can be up to 7gb an hour, it adds up!

branners69 wrote: »
    Not quite, 4 kids who insist everything is 4k doesnt help. Am partial to the Euro matches in 4k myself. Seeing as how 4k can be up to 7gb an hour, it adds up!

Give them an old black and white TV, and a vhs player. Good enough for me when I was young......

Christ I'm getting old

Give them an old black and white TV, and a vhs player. Good enough for me when I was young.

You have no kids Patser, do you? :p

unkel wrote: »
    You have no kids Patser, do you? :p

She used to be happy with the Nintendo Wii:(

Used to be... has a switch now with it's own screen. Not even black and white

She used to be happy with the Nintendo Wii:(

Used to be... has a switch now with it's own screen. Not even black and white

Wait until she wants the latest iPhone, iPad and unlimited data subs. And then be thankful you have one of them, not three :D

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭bobgaf

Anyone moved from VM to Vodafone and can describe what happened as regards cabling etc ?
    House was cabled a long time ago for Cablelink, VM's predecessor ( tv ) and Eir ( landline ).
    Had DSL with Eir for a good while until I got fed up with them and moved broadband to VM.
    TV inlet point to the house is in the sitting room and have the router there as well so it's relatively
    tidy.
    Would move to Vodafone but dread the thought of the router in the hall with tv cabling running
    along skirting boards into the sitting room.

bobgaf wrote: »
    Anyone moved from VM to Vodafone and can describe what happened as regards cabling etc ?
    House was cabled a long time ago for Cablelink, VM's predecessor ( tv ) and Eir ( landline ).
    Had DSL with Eir for a good while until I got fed up with them and moved broadband to VM.
    TV inlet point to the house is in the sitting room and have the router there as well so it's relatively
    tidy.
    Would move to Vodafone but dread the thought of the router in the hall with tv cabling running
    along skirting boards into the sitting room.

Literally what I did yesterday, but possibly we were lucky as there was a a blank phone point beside cable point in sitting room. So our set up is pretty identical to before, only wire now goes to different socket in wall.

Our house is a 2015 build so may have have been prewired in anticipation of this, but look behind your TV and see is there a 2nd flat blank socket there

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Offered 9 months at 35 euro and 3 at 71 for the snaked 500. Should I push for more?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭Treppen

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Offered 9 months at 35 euro and 3 at 71 for the snaked 500. Should I push for more?

We're currently on the naked 500, contract finishing end of July and we're on €69 per month.
    How did you get that deal, are you new VM subscriber?

• Advertisement

I can't see you getting any more tbh, I never got the 9 months deal from them.

Treppen wrote: »
    We're currently on the naked 500, contract finishing end of July and we're on €69 per month.
    How did you get that deal, are you new VM subscriber?

You need to ring and threaten to cancel.

So I decided to sign up with Vodafone. But hitting a brick wall here trying to use a non Irish IBAN. Online order entry doesn't allow it. Chat keeps disconnecting me when I mention it :rolleyes: and finally the call centre agent and the thick as a brick call centre supervisor from India - a right arrogant prick too - refuses to accept that this Vodafone practice is illegal :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

IBAN discrimination is where an employer or company, such as a utility company, refuses to accept your SEPA IBAN for euro payments or direct debits.

IBAN discrimination is not permitted under the SEPA.

An Irish employer or utility company cannot insist you open or maintain an Irish bank account for euro transfers.

Linky

This retarded response and IT systems that haven't been adjusted to current legislation doesn't instill confidence...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Always push for a bigger discount.
    You'd be no worse off and might get a better deal so costs nothing to try and screw them for more, sure haven't they been doing it to you for years.

Update for anyone interested: I had a network engineer call out yesterday and he installed Vodafone broadband and TV. All in my living room at the front of the house, all cabling outside of the house. Neat job. I get the advertised 500Mbps down and 50Mbps up using wifi on my phone standing right beside the router. Installation and equipment all free of charge. That's a sweet deal for €45 per month for a 12 month contract.

The wifi reception in the back of the house and in the attic is poor, but I had already booked the "Super wifi" add on, costing and extra €5 per month. As I need good wifi reception in my garden room, which is about 5 meters away from the back extension of the house. Installation tomorrow, will keep give an update here when done

Interested in the details of the last post about a new installation.
    Did you have new cable run from outside of your house to the wall of the front room ?
    If so, what were the details ? Under grass, paving, tarmac etc ?
    Was there much drilling to get access to the front room and was it tidy ?

My situation was I had Eir DSL into the hall and the other downstairs room ( not the living room ) previously.
    The original connection is probably still there.
    And then cable TV ( now VM ) to the front room.
    So the wish is to get Vodafone in by the VM outlet in the front room as well so I could have a choice of supplier.
    But it would have to be a tidy install outside and inside or else a non-runner.

Yes, cable on the outside, following the walls. No drilling new holes, I suggested he use an existing hole previously used for sat tv. I've never had DSL, in fact I cut off the phone connection coming into my house back 16 years ago. I had been with Virginmedia (UPC, NTL) for 25 years non-stop. Disgraceful the way they treated me.

Just to clarify further so I understand your layout.
    Was there a new cable run in from outside your property under a lawn or paving or tarmac to the house wall?
    Or do none of the above apply ( no front lawn etc ) ?
    Thanks.

None apply. He connected my phone cable coming into the house to the new fibre junction box in the man hole in my front garden (shared by the whole cul de sac) and then from the connection box coming into my house on the side of my house, he routed the cable externally (on my outside house walls) to the front room where my TV is and he brought the cable into the house there. Using an exiting hole.

• Advertisement

I think after 10 years with Virgin, I think I'm finally jumping ship.

Eir salesman knocked on the door the other day, told him I'm in contract and not interested. He said he'd give me 24 months 1000Mb connection @ €50/month locked in for the full 2 years, and they'd pay any early termination fee from Virgin.

As my 6 months half price is about to finish, and I'm about to jump to €85/month with Virgin, I thought I'd go for it. I've got a couple of weeks to test out Eir before committing, so I'll see how it goes.

To be honest, I'm sick of the annual call to Virgin. Some years it's a breeze, others it's more hassle than it's worth!

Advertisement