Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,575 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Right lads, Tipp for Liam 2021!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Tipp team v Waterford: 4 changes from Westmeath match

Brian Hogan
    Cathal Barrett
    Padraic Maher
    Barry Heffernan
    Brendan Maher
    Seamus Kennedy
    Ronan Maher
    Alan Flynn
    Paddy Cadell
    Dan McCormack
    Noel McGrath
    Michael Breen
    Jason Forde
    Seamus Callanan
    Jake Morris

E3oHHwRXMAENRqb?format=jpg&name=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Ompala

Not the team I was expecting, Sheedy going all out for the win by the looks of it. I'm taking Breen at 12 to be there to track Lyons

Ompala wrote: »
    Not the team I was expecting, Sheedy going all out for the win by the looks of it. I'm taking Breen at 12 to be there to track Lyons

NOt the team I was expecting either. Sheedy getting as many mins as possible into these player's legs - just hope there's no injuries.

I wonder if Niall O'Meara has an injury - has dropped off the match panel the last two days.

Big game for Breen, Flynn, and Cadell. Breen will find that assignment tough - Lyons is flying it.

Very interesting subs bench.

Cahill had to change it up after shipping two massive scores. Cahill is going for this game big time:

E3oG0cQWUAcORAZ?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Advertisement

E3oH16dWQAI9kvK?format=jpg&name=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Ompala

formerlyET wrote: »
    NOt the team I was expecting either. Sheedy getting as many mins as possible into these player's legs - just hope there's no injuries.

I wonder if Niall O'Meara has an injury - has dropped off the match panel the last two days.

Big game for Breen, Flynn, and Cadell. Breen will find that assignment tough - Lyons is flying it.

Very interesting subs bench.

Cahill had to change it up after shipping two massive scores. Cahill is going for this game big time:

E3oG0cQWUAcORAZ?format=jpg&name=900x900

Sunday just got a lot more interesting having seen the Waterford line up. Will be a good test of our defence as Waterford will run at us and take us on, similar to Cork I guess.

No Bubbles either, thought he did well vs Galway, would like to get more game time into him. Roll on Sunday!

Sunday just got a lot more interesting having seen the Waterford line up. Will be a good test of our defence as Waterford will run at us and take us on, similar to Cork I guess.

No Bubbles either, thought he did well vs Galway, would like to get more game time into him. Roll on Sunday!

Yeah, it will be a much needed test of our defence - particularly, full back. Waterford forwards are moving well. They've rejigged their back line.

Yeah, I thought Bubbles was motoring well. Maybe he picked up a niggle - hope not. He's had no luck with injuries since 2019.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Right lads, Tipp for Liam 2021!!

A Cork man opening our new thread!!!.ooooh I dunno a bad omen?! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Both are injured, Bubbles hamstring and Bill had his appendix removed.

• Advertisement

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Both are injured, Bubbles hamstring and Bill had his appendix removed.

Any word on the grade of the tear?

Any word on the grade of the tear?

No tear, only a precaution.

Tipp backs looked to have changed their minds about the game after Hutchinson's wild pull on Barrett. Hopefully not a bad injury for Barrett. More important days ahead.

In big trouble here, getting beaten all over the field.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Very worrying. Waterford should be home and hosed. They are destroying us. Missed three goal chances. 6 down, should be 12

In big trouble here, getting beaten all over the field.

Wouldn't be too worried. We've learned a lot today.

Waterford are still playing the same way as last year. They haven't learned anything. Still playing the same way. It's exciting - but do they have the backs to play like that. Backs like an open gate.

We've taken off McCormack and Flynn and Kennedy. We've left Callanan on to get minutes in his legs. Tells its own story.

2022 League grouping
    1A: Galway, Wexford, Clare, Limerick, Cork, Laois/Westmeath

1B: Kilkenny, Waterford, Tipperary, Antrim, Dublin, Offaly.

Wouldn't be too worried. We've learned a lot today.

Waterford are still playing the same way as last year. They haven't learned anything. Still playing the same way. It's exciting - but do they have the backs to play like that. Backs like an open gate.

We've taken off McCormack and Flynn and Kennedy. We've left Callanan on to get minutes in his legs. Tells its own story.

What have we learned?

Think we already knew that we lack pace and are in all kinds of bother when powerful athletic teams run at us.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Was wondering how long it would take for someone to mention pace!

The biggest myth in hurling. Was pace not a requirement in 2016 and 2019?

What team is comfortable when a big powerful athletic team runs at them??

Cleaned out in midfield also and forwards looking a long way off the pace, lots to ponder for Sheedy. Hopefully won't be another awful year like last year.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

What have we learned?

Think we already knew that we lack pace and are in all kinds of bother when powerful athletic teams run at us.

I don't think we lack pace. I've heard that ****e since 2010.

Let's just say, number 1, we've saw how Tipp set up, formation wise in games throughout different parts of the league. That wasn't it.

We learned the importance of fresh legs after five games in close succession...

We learned a load about Waterford - particularly what they'll do when their backs come under pressure...

It's a pity we didn't get to play Clare.

If you were going balls out for that game? Would you take off Kennedy and McCormack?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Was wondering how long it would take for someone to mention pace!

The biggest myth in hurling. Was pace not a requirement in 2016 and 2019?

What team is comfortable when a big powerful athletic team runs at them??

Pace is hardly a myth. If you dont have pace. little you can do.

Yes few teams are comfortable but many are much better at dealing with it than others....

Pace is hardly a myth. If you dont have pace. little you can do.

Yes few teams are comfortable but many are much better at dealing with it than others....

How did we win in 2016 and 2019 so, and how have Cork not won all before them??

We have pleny of pace in the team, its the same lazy analysis that no doubt we will get in the next few days about Tipp being too old, its clichéd nonesene.

Along with a lack of pace a big problem today was lads not willing to track runners, Waterford just bombed forward at every opportunity and we just looked shocked. This is what Waterford do, it got them to munster and all ireland finals last year. Cahill definitely got one over Sheedy today, super job he's doing with Waterford.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

We have pleny of pace in the team,
    its the same lazy analysis that no doubt we will get in the next few days about Tipp being too old, its clichéd nonesene.

Well, we struggled to deal with Waterford today, and the fact of the matter is that we have a few of our experienced heads in our 30s so its hardly a myth now. Too early to really tell what sort of season we will have. I wouldn't rule us out just yet, but we'll definitely have to cope with runners better than we did today. Id have liked to have seen more players blooded during this league, but then you run the risk of not having a settled team ahead of championship similar to Mick Ryans last two seasons.

Franz Beckenbauer the great German footballer wasn't known for his pace, but had great ability to read a game which to be fair to Paudie, Brendan, etc, they have that same ability in their own code. Time waits for no man though. Its a big ask for these lads to go back to the well once more even with all their fitness and experience. Ill leave my arse on the fence for now, and missing out on a league final may not be a bad thing in the long run, but a few things to ponder certainly for the management.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

We have pleny of pace in the team, its the same lazy analysis that no doubt we will get in the next few days about Tipp being too old, its clichéd nonesene.
    2016 is 5 years ago now. A long time....
    Plenty of pace isnt true. Struggled to deal with Waterford today and with age of some of the main guys involved its ridiculous to say its a myth or cliched.

I could have sworn it was a league game, had no idea that we were taking it so seriously, maybe Liam Shedy didnt get the memo either!

Waterford were hockeyed by both Galway and Cork and fell over the line against Wmeath are now suddenly going great guns and Tipp who heretofore were unbeaten are a bunch of slow old men now!

Today was a better day for Liam Sheedy than it was for Liam Cahill when you consider Austin Gleeson having to leave the field injured two weeks before they face Clare in the championship.

2016 is 5 years ago now. A long time....
    Plenty of pace isnt true. Struggled to deal with Waterford today and with age of some of the main guys involved its ridiculous to say its a myth or cliched.

Age of who? come on give me the stats there.

Age of who? come on give me the stats there.

Noelie 30, Paudie, and Brendan both 32 with Bonnar 32 in October (who unfortunately is gone for the year), Seamie 33 in September, Bubbles 30 in September. Dont think anyone is writing off Tipperary really but plenty food for thought after today.

• Advertisement

Noelie 30, Paudie, and Brendan both 32 with Bonnar 32 in October (who unfortunately is gone for the year), Seamie 33 in September, Bubbles 30 in September. Dont think anyone is writing off Tipperary really but plenty food for thought after today.

So all the same age or younger than Joe Canning and Tj Reid, both widly acknowledged as two of the best players in the game.

How is 30 considered old? Galway have 5 of their first choice 15 over 30 and I have not once heard anyone ever refer to them as old. One of Ger Loughanes greatest achievements was convincing people that Tipp were old - the same team won an AI since he started that nonesene.

Bubbles is 29, so thats just silly!

Noel, Brendan, Paudie and Seamie are four of the greatest hurlers to have ever donned the blue and gold and would walk on to every single team in the country bar none.

Advertisement