Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Income Tax decreases on the way?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,654 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/state-s-tax-rates-a-major-disincentive-for-remote-workers-says-varakdar-1.4591155

So looks like Leo is trying to make Ireland stay competitive. I think it's good he's saying this, and it's not the first time he's mentioned tax decreases.

I think at a start the standard rate cut off point needs to move up towards the 50K mark. Then slowly reduce the other income taxes.

After a year plus of covid supports? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭RulesOfNature

Welcome to the spin.

Tax will only go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭champchamp

USC needs to go as promised.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I think we have heard this before from Leo, he has failed to do anything each time.

Need to keep the taxes up to keep the gravy train running choo choo

SF, FG, FF are indistinguishable

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/state-s-tax-rates-a-major-disincentive-for-remote-workers-says-varakdar-1.4591155

So looks like Leo is trying to make Ireland stay competitive. I think it's good he's saying this, and it's not the first time he's mentioned tax decreases.

I think at a start the standard rate cut off point needs to move up towards the 50K mark. Then slowly reduce the other income taxes.

Leo's a tosser. Can't believe that prick still holds office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

A mid rate combined with a higher high rate would be an ideal solution.

Single person

0% to 18k
    20% to 36k
    32% to circa €54k
    44% on balance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

The most disturbing thing about this is there are actually people out there that believe this load of waffle.!! incredible.

P.S. is it any coincidence that FG dropped 4% in the latest opinion pole.???

washman3 wrote: »
    The most disturbing thing about this is there are actually people out there that believe this load of waffle.!! incredible.

P.S. is it any coincidence that FG dropped 4% in the latest opinion pole.???

Ah here some think SF want to solve the housing crises....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Excellent. He has finally decided to look after the people that get up in the morning...oh wait... That was supposed to be done years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

laDyyUw.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Pfffft

He's uttered the same countless times before.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

champchamp wrote: »
    USC needs to go as promised.

Hahahaha

More likely to be folded into income tax to make way for another charge

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Ah here some think SF want to solve the housing crises....

By giving free foreva homes to all their voters....:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Leo is spot on. He knows more than most, the importance of income tax to irish economy.
    Where do people think all the money comes from?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

Leo the populist strikes again... I say this as someone who lives in his constituency, and voted for him in the last election; he is utterly useless as a local representative. His team on the ground are also fairly useless. There won't be any tax decreases coming anytime soon... let's not delude ourselves about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Leo the populist strikes again... I say this as someone who lives in his constituency, and voted for him in the last election; he is utterly useless as a local representative. His team on the ground are also fairly useless. There won't be any tax decreases coming anytime soon... let's not delude ourselves about that.

He wasn't suggesting reductions in income tax for people living here.
    More likely suggesting lower taxes for remote workers of companies located here.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭tjhook

coastwatch wrote: »
    More likely suggesting lower taxes for remote workers of companies located here.

It could easily be something like this... The government recognised some time ago that our tax rates on higher earners aren't competitive with other countries. We had difficulty attracting foreign executives. So they reduced income tax.... for foreign executives moving here. The rest of us can stick with the unattractive high tax rates.

However, I thought the challenge for Ireland with remote workers is that if they're based in another country, they pay taxes there rather than here. So the Irish rate makes no difference to them.

No, I think this is just a sound-bite. Have to say something to appeal to their traditional voter base, even if there's no intent to follow through on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

coastwatch wrote: »

I could do my job remotely from anywhere with good broadband but I also have a mortgage that I need to service. Someone will have to pay for Leo's populism. Leo is cute enough when it comes to topics of the day... he's nothing but a naked populist.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

he's nothing but a naked populist.
    Name one Irish politician that isnt :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

ulster wrote: »
    Leo's a tosser. Can't believe that prick still holds office.

He has though.

What about yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

If tax goes up, I sincerely hope the dole/welfare goes down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

If tax goes up, I sincerely hope the dole/welfare goes down.

Cutting spending won't even occur to them as an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Antares35 wrote: »

It should though as they get zero votes from that cohort.

You can't be everyones friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Antares35 wrote: »

Probably not, just another case of screw those who want to work and make not working more attractive to those who want to avoid a hard days labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Leotheliar promised to remove USC. Can't be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭W1ll1s

The Secret IRS Files: Trove of Never-Before-Seen Records Reveal How the Wealthiest Avoid Income Tax

https://www.propublica.org/article/the-secret-irs-files-trove-of-never-before-seen-records-reveal-how-the-wealthiest-avoid-income-tax

Probably not, just another case of screw those who want to work and make not working more attractive to those who want to avoid a hard days labour.

Increasing welfare is mentioned there sure.

Make work less attractive, the mantra of Irish politics

• Registered Users Posts: 28,687 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You can be sure that anything they give back will be more than made up by what they take through things like the upcoming hikes to property tax, increased carbon charges, and no doubt several more yet to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Rainmann

We should have more bands, the highest rate comes in way too early, 35k or something. Also, USC is painful. I will believe it when I see it, he has been saying this for ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

This is spin doctor guru rubbish, there is not way income tax is going to decrease, if anything its going to increase. We have borrowed billions since covid 19 visited us in March 2020

Revenue need more money in the state coffers not less. Revenue are looking at everything LPT is being adjusted, CAT , Inheritance and Gift tax is all under the microscope.

Also I suspect USC is here to stay

Advertisement