Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

What arrangement would be more likely having the routes go down Harbour Road which might be not be suitable for high volumes of buses having them do a run round at the Harbour Road Roundabout and then back up Crofton Road. The 7/a will more than likely use Crofton Road in both directions just like the 111.

A few new stops will probably have to be commissioned also. If the 46a, 75 and 63 are going to use Crofton Road in both directions then it would make most sense to put a stop outside County hall as their first stop heading outbound but given the pedestrian crossing outside the Dart station and proximity to traffic lights it probably wouldn't be a safe location.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,340 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Disagree. He will overreach and turn the Community against him. Not what is needed.

You have to bring people along, not bash them over the head.

I won't be convinced that DL needs a new public plaza AND the adjoining section of Street closed off. Certainly not at the cost of public transport accessing the spots it is needed most.

He is not an elected official so more than likely does not give a rats. And is supported by elected officials so they don’t get the heat

• Registered Users Posts: 28,543 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Who gives a shyt about any of that? They are talking about moving the bus services further away from those who need them most.

The geometry of it has damn all to do with anything.

It will also be moving the bus services nearer to a bunch of people, so swings and roundabouts I guess.

It will also be moving the bus services nearer to a bunch of people, so swings and roundabouts I guess.

Not really taking the buses off Georges Street and away from the centre of the town is hardly handy for most people

• Registered Users Posts: 23,856 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thats just being churlish now.

Taking the buses away from the areas of highest demand in a locality cannot be dressed up as anything but a bad thing.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    He is not an elected official so more than likely does not give a rats. And is supported by elected officials so they don’t get the heat

Nonsense. People in Dun Laoghaire are keenly aware what Councillors vote for what. They'll be anxious not to get this one wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,795 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Let's be honest dun laoghaire apart from the obvious area from the pier to people's park is dying a death they need to try something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Cyrus wrote: »
    Let's be honest dun laoghaire apart from the obvious area from the pier to people's park is dying a death they need to try something.

Every time something is tried, the naysayers emerge from the woodwork and attempt to shoot it down. Makes it difficult to bring in any change, even in places where it is clearly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

JayRoc wrote: »
    If someone has driven to Blackrock and wants to visit a shop or business they will simply have to walk from wherever they park their car and so far, it seems, that is working out fine.

Unfortunately the surrounding roads had free parking on a Saturday and Sunday. Now it is only free on a Sunday.

Unfortunately the surrounding roads had free parking on a Saturday and Sunday. Now it is only free on a Sunday.

Which is why people prefer to head to Stillorgan etc. and away from DL to do their shopping.

• Advertisement

Why would you expect free storage space on public property for your private property?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Why would you expect free storage space on public property for your private property?

Quit banging the drum, we get it

Agree.

Apart from that though the wider Dun Laoghaire area has a far older age demographic and rely on public transport to access services in the town more.

Now that I think of it, the HSE are opening a major new primary care and diagnostic centre on the third floor of the DL Shopping Centre, which will need proper bus service more than ever. Theres no way a restriction of the main street northbound to buses and taxis can proceed. The benefits absolutely do not outweigh the negatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Just back from Dun Laoire, not been in over 6 mths. Hope the new square is a success, it complements the open area in front of the hospital. Is Shaws closed now? It would be nice to see the carpark in front of the DFC on Cumberland Street being used at the weekend. There must be over 50 spaces there. It turned out a decent afternoon. I drove along the new seafront bikeway for the first time. Between the Purty Kitchen and Blackrock, I counted 6 bicycles and 2 bikers at side of road having a chat. I expected it to be busier for middle of a Sunday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Zaney

Garlinge wrote: »
    Just back from Dun Laoire, not been in over 6 mths. Hope the new square is a success, it complements the open area in front of the hospital. Is Shaws closed now? It would be nice to see the carpark in front of the DFC on Cumberland Street being used at the weekend. There must be over 50 spaces there. It turned out a decent afternoon. I drove along the new seafront bikeway for the first time. Between the Purty Kitchen and Blackrock, I counted 6 bicycles and 2 bikers at side of road having a chat. I expected it to be busier for middle of a Sunday afternoon.

Shaws is closed on Sunday.

The cycleway would normally be busier than that. I wonder if just this weekend the novelty of shops being open and some rain showers have reduced numbers.

It can be packed on a sunny day. Numbers do drop a lot with the slightest doubt about the weather. And it’s all but abandoned on a very wet day.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Zaney

Clarence St will need to be realigned. When traffic towards Dún Laoghaire is heavy, buses coming around this corner from the station have no choice but to either wait until it's safe to cross the solid white line, or mount the pavement. Most tend to do the latter, which is an accident waiting to happen.

Don’t disagree, but nothing is planned. So the “summer streets” scheme could go ahead with no change to Clarence St except to add a bus stop which will increase the chaos.

Clarence St will need to be realigned. When traffic towards Dún Laoghaire is heavy, buses coming around this corner from the station have no choice but to either wait until it's safe to cross the solid white line, or mount the pavement. Most tend to do the latter, which is an accident waiting to happen.

I suggest putting that in as a submission to DLRCC maybe DB, GAI or the NTA might do the same.

Also if they're trying to get outdoor dining what restaurants and cafes are on Georges Street Lwr. apart from a few coffee shops and the Miami Cafe.

How many times have you posted this line before? Can you come up with something new?

GT89 wrote: »
    Also if they're trying to get outdoor dining what restaurants and cafes are on Georges Street Lwr. apart from a few coffee shops and the Miami Cafe.

Many of which already have some outside capacity. And besides, what is the new Square for, if not to allow people buy food and drink in all of them and gather on the Square?

Lets be honest too, on weekdays when people are back to work with relative normality, the outdoor dining is hardly likely to be busy. Seems a very weak case to be made for sacrificing the buses and taxis.

• Advertisement

Many of which already have some outside capacity. And besides, what is the new Square for, if not to allow people buy food and drink in all of them and gather on the Square?

Lets be honest too, on weekdays when people are back to work with relative normality, the outdoor dining is hardly likely to be busy. Seems a very weak case to be made for sacrificing the buses and taxis.

Yes the current setup on Georges Street Lwr. is fine atm I would say strikes the balance between pedestrian space and traffic presently with decent traffic calming measures. If it ain't broke.

How many times have you posted this line before? Can you come up with something new?

Doesn't have to be new to be right. We seem to have an endless supply of people who expect society as a whole to subsidise their personal transport choices with free storage space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Doesn't have to be new to be right. We seem to have an endless supply of people who expect society as a whole to subsidise their personal transport choices with free storage space.

You’re paying to lock your bike to bike stands are you? Or are you availing of free storage space for your personal property?

Take private cars out of the equation as public transport users will be the most negatively effected because of these changes. Why don't you campaign for the street to be bus only again instead of fully pedestrianised.

Some cycle + walking campaigners need to realise public transport will make the roads safer and less congestated not contribute to the problem.

Could we not start the car vs bike vs public transport row again?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If they allowed the 46a to start from the pavilion and then run back down by the dart I'd see no issues with that but a roundabout would need to be put in.....

In every high demand area in this City, both residents and visitors alike pay to park their cars. The only people who pay zero to store their personal transport choice in public locations, are cyclists.

Besides, who is society as a whole serving here, except society as a whole? Unless you want to see such an egalitarian system brought in that cyclists and motorists are charged alike, I suggest you stop making redundant comparisons and deal with the specific issues at hand.

Exactly.

You are the very person who went silent last year when the subject of cyclists paying tax similar to motor tax was discussed here.

Look at all the lovely new bicycle lanes, taking over half of the road, that you can now use free of charge and at an inconvenience of the motorist who is paying to use these roads.

Why should bicycle owners have free parking for their bicycles. Also using public and private fences, poles and other street furniture to secure their bicycles?

DunLaoghaire Rathdown had free parking on both Saturday and Sunday on many roads in the borough. This has now been reduced to free Sunday parking only. This is pure greed and money grabbing at best.

I am old enough to remember the days when I could park my car on Grafton street for free. Why should County Councils own parking spaces on public streets?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

Exactly.
    Look at all the lovely new bicycle lanes, taking over half of the road, that you can now use free of charge and at an inconvenience of the motorist who is paying to use these roads.

Cyclists pay exactly the same as motorists for the roads and cycle lanes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,340 ✭✭✭✭ted1

p15574 wrote: »
    Cyclists pay exactly the same as motorists for the roads and cycle lanes.

I am a cyclists who pays motor tax, for a car that sits on a private driveway must of the time. I get the feeling many people don’t think people like me exist

Do these people know the every body sitting on a bus , shooting up the bus lane is actually having their journey subsidised , that’s a real scandal

Advertisement