Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,676 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So you won't pay for parking if you cannot get "proportional to the space used"?

Why should you expect free parking storage for your bicycle and why should you dictate your terms on charges. The motorist has had no say in this.

Why would the motorist get any say in this? Are motorists in charge of the world or something?

Why would fees proportional to the space used be unreasonable or a bad thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Why would the motorist get any say in this? Are motorists in charge of the world or something?

Yes.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Yes.

You guys....

tenor.gif?itemid=5247676

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Zaney

Not sure what you mean by 'apart from a few coffee shops and the Miami Cafe'? Are they not worthy or does it need to be Michelin star fare?

On that stretch of street:
    Darboven
    Dall Italia
    Natural Bakery co
    Chocolate de Fred
    The Lighthouse
    Miami Cafe
    Gourmet Cafe

Just off it:
    Lá Dolce Italia
    Strudel
    Kyoto
    Ritz Cafe
    Bits n Pizzas
    Zero Zero
    Sunshine Cafe
    SOUP

and I'm sure there's a few in forgetting

If outdoor dining is the goal, then based on that list I’d close off Patrick Street. And it could be argued they are in more need of the extra space as they have no current outside dining.

Zaney wrote: »
    If outdoor dining is the goal, then based on that list I’d close off Patrick Street. And it could be argued they are in more need of the extra space as they have no current outside dining.

Well this is it too. Where do you draw the line? Why do some businesses get preferential treatment in such a way to take custom from others in the same locality?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Well this is it too. Where do you draw the line? Why do some businesses get preferential treatment in such a way to take custom from others in the same locality?

Ah here you're clutching at straws now. Customers from any business in the locality can get food and bring it to the street/plaza to eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Not sure what you mean by 'apart from a few coffee shops and the Miami Cafe'? Are they not worthy or does it need to be Michelin star fare?

On that stretch of street:
    Darboven
    Dall Italia
    Natural Bakery co
    Chocolate de Fred
    The Lighthouse
    Miami Cafe
    Gourmet Cafe

Just off it:
    Lá Dolce Italia
    Strudel
    Kyoto
    Ritz Cafe
    Bits n Pizzas
    Zero Zero
    Sunshine Cafe
    SOUP

and I'm sure there's a few in forgetting
    Would it not be better to close most of those on health and safety grounds due to their adding to diabetes and obesity epidemic?

Ah here you're clutching at straws now. Customers from any business in the locality can get food and bring it to the street/plaza to eat it.

the proposal is for a mix of public benches and licensed on street outdoor areas.

You can sit in the licensed areas and be served food and drink by the associated business - it’s not take away. Gives businesses a significant advantage over takeaway.

Specific business will own some of the street furniture and you can’t just sit down with your take away from anywhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Patrick Street would be perfect no bus routes would need to be diverted

the proposal is for a mix of public benches and licensed on street outdoor areas.

You can sit in the licensed areas and be served food and drink by the associated business - it’s not take away. Gives businesses a significant advantage over takeaway.

Specific business will own some of the street furniture and you can’t just sit down with your take away from anywhere.

Right. And public benches are for everyone no matter where you get your food from.

I don't understand your argument here. Are you saying we should pedestrianise all of Dun laoghaire or none at all so no business gets any advantage?

• Advertisement

Right. And public benches are for everyone no matter where you get your food from.

I don't understand your argument here. Are you saying we should pedestrianise all of Dun laoghaire or none at all so no business gets any advantage?

Pedestrianising the whole of Dun Laoghaire is impractical. Choices have to be made. But the reasons for those choices should be clear. What’s the need, what’s the benefit, what’s the impact on others.

My argument would be, if DLR want to support businesses who need outdoor dining, there is a greater need on Patrick Street than there is on George’s Street Lower. Less impact too as buses will not have to be diverted.

My questions to the council would be: Have they even considered Patrick St? Why did they choose George’s Street Lower over other locations?

Pedestrianising the whole of Dun Laoghaire is impractical. Choices have to be made. But the reasons for those choices should be clear. What’s the need, what’s the benefit, what’s the impact on others.

My argument would be, if DLR want to support businesses who need outdoor dining, there is a greater need on Patrick Street than there is on George’s Street Lower. Less impact too as buses will not have to be diverted.

My questions to the council would be: Have they even considered Patrick St? Why did they choose George’s Street Lower over other locations?

There's far more cafés and restaurants on George's St for one thing and unless you don't mind food rolling off your plate Patrick St isn't really ideal due to its incline.

I don't think the the reason for this proposal is to look at which businesses need the outdoor space, it's to create a pleasant public space which will support the "outdoor summer" theme. The footfall on George's St vs Patrick St is a major consideration also. If you were to pedestrianise Patrick St it wouldn't necessarily bring people to it. It's no good pedestrianising a street that has hardly any pedestrians.

Anytime the weather is good, people won't hang around on the main street, which is in shadow from late morning, (as the new Square will be) they'll go down to the seafront to relax and take the Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

ted1 wrote: »
    Stands are being paid for by bike rental companies. There’s a levy for each bike to provide to DLRCoCo
    Which of the many empty (and unneeded) bike stands in Dun loaire converted from car spaces was paid for by a bike rental company?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

How will the non-food businesses along Georges St survive with this newly proposed outdoor dining trial if it officially goes ahead by the council?

To my mind if they were looking at suitable alternative options to collect of stock to their businesses if George St is fully pedestrianized; they could be provided with very limited options for delivery loading bays in place to deliver much needed new stock into their stores.

These outdoor dining proposals for George St will also negatively affect trade for these major non food businesses contained in this list.

Sostrene Green
    Penneys
    Hickeys
    Shaws

And many others.....

And of course the food businesses along George St would need to have their food & drink supplies for their business delivered in order to continue trade to their customers. All of these food/non-food businesses cannot survive on fully pedestrianized streets with potentially thousands of customers coming in to visit the area if no supplies are continuously coming into their stores while customers continue to support their business. Their own post-covid business models could go out the window very quickly if deliveries are not maintained in order to agree with this proposed trial from the council.

Also re: BusConnects in Dún Laoghaire & other suburbs

A lot of the ground work in setting up the final bus network has been completed already with lots of consultations carried out with the public making agreements or compromises with the NTA that buses to continue to have routes unimpeded along major suburbs in Dublin. If a proposal like this one in Dún Laoghaire were to be mirrored in every other suburb located by other LA's in Dublin; I would say the public's reaction to those in charge of the NTA might be very mixed if the location being proposed for a trial in other Dublin suburbs like Dún Laoghaire does not provide suitable bus route alignments to serve their customers with suitable alternatives. Other suburbs in Dublin do have people of various different circumstances living within them. They are not all one & the same; they are all different to one another. Not all suburbs in Dublin are also not located in wealthy areas. The demand for bus services will come under huge challenges to maintain it for the public if the trial in Dún Laoghaire were to cause some distruption of other parts of the city. From my interpretation of BusConnects from reading the main reports associated with the project; the NTA are aiming, in order to maintain demand levels stable, to provide people living in suburbs with highly frequent bus services on every street as possible within any city in the country.

BusConnects could fail to fully realize their projected demands if progress on maintaining services is to be impeded in a negative way i.e. re-routing buses from major shopping areas in suburbs for a period of time after the covid pandemic has died off for good. If I was in agreement with this new trial for Dún Laoghaire; a balance has to be struck in how it get it to become a success for local people living in Dún Laoghaire & the LA's wider population.

Which of the many empty (and unneeded) bike stands in Dun loaire converted from car spaces was paid for by a bike rental company?

How exactly did you work out that they're unneeded?

https://twitter.com/dlrcycling/status/1305250247128633351

https://twitter.com/robertburns73/status/1283816736442261504

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭JayRoc

How will the non-food businesses along Georges St survive with this newly proposed outdoor dining trial if it officially goes ahead by the council?

To my mind if they were looking at suitable alternative options to collect of stock to their businesses if George St is fully pedestrianized; they could be provided with very limited options for delivery loading bays in place to deliver much needed new stock into their stores.

These outdoor dining proposals for George St will also negatively affect trade for these major non food businesses contained in this list.

Sostrene Green
    Penneys
    Hickeys
    Shaws

And many others.....

And of course the food businesses along George St would need to have their food & drink supplies for their business delivered in order to continue trade to their customers. All of these food/non-food businesses cannot survive on fully pedestrianized streets with potentially thousands of customers coming in to visit the area if no supplies are continuously coming into their stores while customers continue to support their business. Their own post-covid business models could go out the window very quickly if deliveries are not maintained in order to agree with this proposed trial from the council.

A lot of the ground work in setting up the final bus network has been completed already with lots of consultations carried out with the public making agreements or compromises with the NTA that buses to continue to have routes unimpeded along major suburbs in Dublin. If a proposal like this one in Dún Laoghaire were to be mirrored in every other suburb located by other LA's in Dublin; I would say the public's reaction to those in charge of the NTA might be very mixed if the location being proposed for a trial in other Dublin suburbs like Dún Laoghaire does not provide suitable bus route alignments to serve their customers with suitable alternatives. Other suburbs in Dublin do have people of various different circumstances living within them. They are not all one & the same; they are all different to one another. Not all suburbs in Dublin are also not located in wealthy areas. The demand for bus services will come under huge challenges to maintain it for the public if the trial in Dún Laoghaire were to cause some distruption of other parts of the city. From my interpretation of BusConnects from reading the main reports associated with the project; the NTA are aiming, in order to maintain demand levels stable, to provide people living in suburbs with highly frequent bus services on every street as possible within any city in the country.

BusConnects could fail to fully realize their projected demands if progress on maintaining services is to be impeded in a negative way i.e. re-routing buses from major shopping areas in suburbs for a period of time after the covid pandemic has died off for good. If I was in agreement with this new trial for Dún Laoghaire; a balance has to be struck in how it get it to become a success for local people living in Dún Laoghaire & the LA's wider population.

Deliveries are able to continue to businesses on other pedestrianised thoroughfares just fine.

Look at Grafton Street. One or two hours a day in the morning and one of the busiest shopping streets in the country gets its deliveries sorted out no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Quoting that Burns chap in relation to bikes is like quoting Elon Musk saying “electric cars are great” not exactly objective seeing as he’s cycling zealot No. 1 and we have him to “thank” for carpet bombing the area with bollards and cycling tracks.

He did give me a good laugh the other day though, soaked to the skin in Sallynoggin trying to set up yet another photo op/propaganda piece with his cargo bike for local deliveries, proving the absurdity of the idea for a country that gets torrential rain even in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭Jizique

pm1977x wrote: »
    Quoting that Burns chap in relation to bikes is like quoting Elon Musk saying “electric cars are great” not exactly objective seeing as he’s cycling zealot No. 1 and we have him to “thank” for carpet bombing the area with bollards and cycling tracks.

He did give me a good laugh the other day though, soaked to the skin in Sallynoggin trying to set up yet another photo op/propaganda piece with his cargo bike for local deliveries, proving the absurdity of the idea for a country that gets torrential rain even in summer.

Let’s try to pick a country that never gets torrential rain....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,425 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Many of them. Isn’t it great the way uou can fit 10 bike spaces into 1 car park. And it reduces wear and tear on the road

• Advertisement

Cyclists don’t mind the rain. Stick on the correct gear snd you are sorted. Oh your naivety is so funny.

You’d also be surprised how little it rains in the morning and evenings here

Sostrene Green
    Penneys
    Hickeys
    Shaws

And many others.....

There’s no parking on George’s street do the cars just past through.
    The shops will benefit as the streets will wellcome and attract more footfall. There’s a reason why Grafton street and Henry street are the busiest snd mist expensive in Ireland

Cyclists don’t mind the rain. Stick on the correct gear snd you are sorted. Oh your naivety is so funny.

You’d also be surprised how little it rains in the morning and evenings here

Your blind zealotry is also funny, looks like it's lashing down this morning, but maybe not in your world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

It doesn't have to be a bike rental company.

How many empty and unneeded bike stands have been converted from car spaces, were paid for by bicycle owners and how many have paid for this privilege through a parking fee or bicycle tax.

I didn't quote him. I showed his photo of the full bike racks to the person who said they were unneeded.

Here's the facts about rain here btw

https://irishcycle.com/myths/myths-weather/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭crushproof

Can we please separate the cyclist / pedestrian debate with general Dun Laoghaire chat?

Becoming extremely frustrating trying to find actual news or updates within this thread.

It doesn't have to be a bike rental company.

How many empty and unneeded bike stands have been converted from car spaces, were paid for by bicycle owners and how many have paid for this privilege through a parking fee or bicycle tax.

How many empty car parking spaces were paid for from general taxation, which is paid by everyone?

And how exactly did you work out that bike spaces are unneeded?

Your blind zealotry is also funny, looks like it's lashing down this morning, but maybe not in your world.

Before Covid I cycled to the airport and back daily. Over the year it would you find only rain a handful of times. Occasionally I got completely soaked, those days are really refreshing.

Unlike you I am speaking from experience

For reference it wasn’t lashing due this morning, I walked the dog on the beach between 8 and 9:30. It was lightly raining , I was wearing a raincoat and waterproof bottoms AKA , appropriately dressed. And I enjoyed the walk.

As for zealotry, just because my opinion differs from you doesn’t mean it’s zealotry. It’s certainly not blind. As I often drive, so my perspective I such more rounded than the bigot one you have.

Before Covid I cycled to the airport and back daily. Over the year it would you find only rain a handful of times. Occasionally I got completely soaked, those days are really refreshing.

Unlike you I am speaking from experience

For reference it wasn’t lashing due this morning, I walked the dog on the beach between 8 and 9:30. It was lightly raining , I was wearing a raincoat and waterproof bottoms AKA , appropriately dressed. And I enjoyed the walk.

As for zealotry, just because my opinion differs from you doesn’t mean it’s zealotry. It’s certainly not blind. As I often drive, so my perspective I such more rounded than the bigot one you have.

So because my opinion differs to your's I'm a bigot!!! Okay man, it's just the internet, relax, go for a nice refreshing cycle in the rain and cool off.

• Advertisement

So because my opinion differs to your's I'm a bigot!!! Okay man, it's just the internet, relax, go for a nice refreshing cycle in the rain and cool off.

So you can call me a blind zealot. But get upset when I point your your bigoted opinion.

Have a good weekend. I’ll be driving the young lad to training in the morning before I go for a cycle

Advertisement