Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Booing the knee *Mod Note in Post 1232 and OP*

• 08-06-2021 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭

I'm not really sure if this belongs more in the Soccer forum or elsewhere but as this has been happening recently as fans have returned to stadiums I'll place it here. It happened at the England game last week and at the Ireland game tonight. Listening to commentary it's generally describing this as outright racism from soccer supporters, but is it that simple? Others have been kinder to them describing it as push back against BLM and the like

Football has had long problems with racism but did genuinely seem to be getting on top of it up until maybe two three years ago. Where do they go from here do you think? Football will have to castigate its own supporters or drop the knee protest. I suspect that it's the latter that will happen.

Necro wrote: »
    Multiple off topic posts deleted. I'll give one final warning and then I'll start handing out cards and bans like confetti - stop attacking other posters. If you cannot argue a point based on the content of someone's posts then don't bother making it.

Don't drag the thread off topic and stop firing around the racism accusation - if you have a problem with someone else's posting report it and leave it to the mods

Threadbanned Posters:
    Tacitus Kilgore
    Yakov P. Golyadkin
    John Doe1
    MrStuffins
    MarkEadie
    Faugheen

Do you support footballers taking the knee? 343 votes

Yes
    76% 262 votes
    No
    23% 81 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

I'm not really sure if this belongs more in the Soccer forum or elsewhere but as this has been happening recently as fans have returned to stadiums I'll place it here. It happened at the England game last week and at the Ireland game tonight. Listening to commentary it's generally describing this as outright racism from soccer supporters, but is it that simple? Others have been kinder to them describing it as push back against BLM and the like

Football has had long problems with racism but did genuinely seem to be getting on top of it up until maybe two three years ago. Where do they go from here do you think? Football will have to castigate its own supporters or drop the knee protest. I suspect that it's the latter that will happen.

Anyone caught booing taking the knee should be issued a lifetime ban. It should be easier pick them out in a socially distanced stadium. If they've a problem with black players and colleagues fighting oppression then they'd best stay home.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Booing people disrespecting the anthem and the game for taking a knee to support a reactionary terror group is not racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

ypres5 wrote: »
    Anyone caught booing taking the knee should be issued a lifetime ban. It should be easier pick them out in a socially distanced stadium. If they've a problem with black players and colleagues fighting oppression then they'd best stay home.

I imagine it is difficult to prove who is doing it from pictures alone when supporters have face coverings.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,435 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Booing people disrespecting the anthem and the game for taking a knee to support a reactionary terror group is not racist.

Do you honestly believe that taking the knee is a gesture in support of radical terrorism?
    I mean really and honestly?

Do you believe it is in any way appropriate to denigrate people trying to make a point in a peaceful and dignified manner?

Do you believe that Colin Kaepernick was wrong?
    That the players in the UK and Europe who are still choosing to take a knee are wrong?
    That their effort to highlight social inequality and injustice is actually giving succour to terrorism?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,363 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

20210608-231848.jpg

Bloody Marxist footballers, whatever next!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

So people kneeling in silence during the anthem is disrespectful but booing during it isn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Is there an end date for this taking a knee thing?

banie01 wrote: »
    Do you honestly believe that taking the knee is a gesture in support of radical terrorism?
    I mean really and honestly?

Do you believe it is in any way appropriate to denigrate people trying to make a point in a peaceful and dignified manner?

Do you believe that Colin Kaepernick was wrong?
    That the players in the UK and Europe who are still choosing to take a knee are wrong?
    That their effort to highlight social inequality and injustice is actually giving succour to terrorism?

BLM is a radical reactionary group that participate in acts that could be described as terror (riots etc. In the US)

Bringing politics into sport supporting that group is denigrating the sport

I do believe every player taking the knee outside the US is wrong, every player in the US I feel isnt choosing the best way to vent their frustrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Is there an end date for this taking a knee thing?

If this continues to happen as fans return to games I suspect the end will come for this protest/gesture. The games authorities will have a hard job to paint it (the game) as inclusive while the booing keeps happening. Thus it will be dropped in favour of something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

This fella tying himself up in knots on booing the knee :pac: :pac:

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1401859424831119360?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Politics should not be in sport. Why are they taking a knee about American issues with their police?

It's a year later. Time for everyone to move on. There are much worse things going in the world.

Maybe a knee for Yemen or Hong Kong? Or are only certain political ideas allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,435 ✭✭✭✭banie01

BLM is a radical reactionary group that participate in acts that could be described as terror (riots etc. In the US)

Bringing politics into sport supporting that group is denigrating the sport

I do believe every player taking the knee outside the US is wrong, every player in the US I feel isnt choosing the best way to vent their frustrations.

The players kneeling have gone on record to say that their kneeling is not in support of BLM.
    It is particularly for the English players an effort to highlight ongoing racism and inequality.

Bringing politics into sport is not denigrating the sport.
    That's a ridiculous argument IMO.
    Sport has since the days of the Romans been an engine for political change.
    From the colloseum to the hippodrome and Byzantine riots onto suffragettes at horse races and protests at football games for any number of reasons.

Sport is where we feel at our most tribal, our sense of belonging is heightened and if that sense of tribe can be attached to social justice and equity?
    Then more power to them!

I'd far rather someone kneeling on a pitch, than rioting in a stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭Augme

Politics should not be in sport. Why are they taking a knee about American issues with their police?

It's a year later. Time for everyone to move on. There are much worse things going in the world.

Maybe a knee for Yemen or Hong Kong? Or are only certain political ideas allowed.

They aren't taking a knee about American police issues. They are taking a knee about the problem of racism in society.

Why should black people and footballers who still receive racist abuse move on?

Racism is a massive problem. All you need to do is look at social media, especially of players of colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I was saying 'Roo-ney'...

banie01 wrote: »
    The players kneeling have gone on record to say that their kneeling is not in support of BLM.
    It is particularly for the English players an effort to highlight ongoing racism and inequality.

This is the best part. The players have literally said why they doing it and yet the usual idiots on boards claim to know their minds better than they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Ah sorry, but the whole 'taking the knee' thing seems very hollow and shallow, embarrassing & insincere if you ask me.

All about the optics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Black players getting racially abused online every time they make a mistake in a game is the norm now

According to some they should just suck it up and get on with it icon14.png

Complete coincidence that American footballers started it. Nothing to do with US politics at all. Didn't start in light of US politics.

Ah sorry, but the whole 'taking the knee' thing seems very hollow and shallow to me, embarrassing & insincere if you ask me.

All about the optics.

Incredibly. Just let the fans enjoy the game without having to deal with politics for a minute

• Registered Users Posts: 81,071 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why do Golfers not do it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Booing the knee is being blown out of proportion. It hardly means a whole lot to just boo during the gesture. At the same time, taking a knee is not solving anything and it seems to be built up into this massive gesture that somehow seems to fix the problem of racism. The very minor idiots booing the gesture can easily be ignored and should be ignored, but the taking of the knee doesn't actually change anything with respect to the problem of racism.

I personally wouldn't boo it.

But I can see why people are rebelling against BLM.

Nobody booed the kick racism out initiative or anything else race related in recent time.

The toxic element is the association with BLM, the booing is for that movement, not because people support racism.

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Black players getting racially abused online every time they make a mistake in a game is the norm now

Yeah suck it up, sure it's only "politics"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Augme wrote: »
    They aren't taking a knee about American police issues. They are taking a knee about the problem of racism in society.

Why should black people and footballers who still receive racist abuse move on?

Racism is a massive problem. All you need to do is look at social media, especially of players of colour.

I have been attending football matches for decades now and never once have heard a racist comment at a game. Not saying it doesn't happen but you would think it was a constant stream of racial abuse coming from the sidelines the way the media go on about it.

The knee is associated with George Floyd and BLM. They even had BLM printed on jerseys at one stage.

This is the best part. The players have literally said why they doing it and yet the usual idiots on boards claim to know their minds better than they do.

Spokespeople for the players have come out and said what their pr people have told them to say about their reasoning for kneeling.

You'd need to be naïve as hell or socially inept to think that a footballer would risk a multi million pound sponsorship by not taking the agreed knee.

But no, I'm sure you are right, the players are doing the same hive mind think.

Nowt to do with monetary gain and fear of alienation.

Because literally nobody said they should suck it up

Do you honestly think the toerags that shout racist abuse at players are going to stop because they take a knee.

Of course nobody should have to put up with racist abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,769 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I don’t agree with booing it.

I also don’t agree with it happening at every fücking football game / and other events.....

If we must take the knee, when not take an extra 10 minutes to have players recognize other causes and social issues...

It’s to me fairly pointless anyway... if a person has racist inclinations, they are not going to be dissuaded by watching footballers taking the knee before a sports event...

If they are targeting young people to educate... that’s also BS as education on the topic comes to hearts and minds through racism being taught and discussed...in detail, in a class, where it’s discussed, ...not through the symbolism of taking the knee... which is worthless and has no impact overall... the BLM crowd just want recognition and to feel their cause has relevance, impact and value as well as a regular, consistent weekly global platform...

I wouldn’t like to be the FA or premier league dude who says.. “ erm, alright, I think we’ve done that now.. let’s stop”... he’ll probably be called a racist.

People should just fûcking get on with playing football...

I’ll be in the chipper next week and ordering a quarter pounder and chips but disallowed until I take the knee ?

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Who ever said they should suck it up? Even people who take issue with the knee or BLM or whatever would say to report any abuse to the authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

A gesture co-opted by corporatism so as to stack up their PR credits is not really something to be too protective of.

It's a bit of a joke now to be honest.

But I still wouldn't get anywhere near to the point of booing it. It's hardly doing any harm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Great support for black players. Are you ok with James McClean getting racist abuse ? Ian Wrights abuse was dealt with but not the White Irish lad.

Advertisement