Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Last Word

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

I wonder will the new owners ditch The last word.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭nc6000

I hardly ever listen to the show anymore, can't explain why exactly but I just don't. That six at six thing where he almost interviews the newsreader is really annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭tomglsn

nc6000 wrote: »
    I hardly ever listen to the show anymore, can't explain why exactly but I just don't. That six at six thing where he almost interviews the newsreader is really annoying.

It is like he is talking to a child about how their day in school went. Unlistenable. Why not just read the news instead of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,943 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

nc6000 wrote: »

And even worse, he does it twice. At 5 and then at 6.

I'm shocked a supposedly intelligent journo or presenter like MC is happy to do this. It is cringeworthy. But he must have no say, and has to go along with it. It's obviously to try to make the news sound off the cuff and relaxed, but it's anything but.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

NIMAN wrote: »
    And even worse, he does it twice. At 5 and then at 6.

I'm shocked a supposedly intelligent journo or presenter like MC is happy to do this. It is cringeworthy. But he must have no say, and has to go along with it. It's obviously to try to make the news sound off the cuff and relaxed, but it's anything but.

Its not just the news, it's the sports as well. There's one sports reader who starts every sentence with "yeah Matt". As in:
    Cooper: Tell us about the teams for the weekend
    Sports reader: Yeah Matt, theres 2 changes.......

Absolutely melts my head. And for the most part I like TLW, there's just so many things that are beginning to grate on me now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭BrentMused

I like the show and it would be my go-to on the commute home in the evening, but for the last few months it's basically a repeat every single day and I'm finding myself moving the dial more and more.

The same topics, the same contributors.

You can bet your life that you'll have some selection of the below on:

- "Monaghan based GP" Illona Duffy
    - Anthony Staines
    - Kingston Mills
    - Sam McConkey
    - Adrian Cummins
    - Daniel McConnell
    - Donal O'Keeffe (Licensed Vinters Association)

You can add in another 2 or 3 of the regulars and that will form the show.

Every. Single. Day.

I have always wondered how much actual interview or debate time there is daily.

Once you take out the repeating news, repeating sport, repeating weather, repeating traffic. Adverts, competitions, etc.

It is becoming a hard listen now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭Tork

The feeling I get from TLW these days is that they're all just treading water and keeping things ticking over for now. What sort of budget does the show have these days, I wonder? It could get interesting once the new owners start to put their stamp on the schedule. My feeling is that they've kept TLW on the air in order to satisfy the BAI requirements about news/current affairs content. It's not that long ago that the weekend morning schedules had heavier programmes in the schedule but all those are gone. Keeping the Last Word in the schedule keeps the BAI dogs off their back. It wouldn't surprise me if that pre-recorded 8-9am Sunday morning Irish music show exists for much the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

i listened to the piece on podcast this evening so perhaps it was from a few days ago ? but he was talking to Miguel Delaney about the England team and the " taking of the knee "

Cooper could not have been more biased in discussing the issue , nothing only unquestionable adherence to the gesture was enough for the WOKE supremo Matt

absolute wally of a man

Tuned in a bit tonight, did I hear new jingles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭happydude742

The premise is foolproof you would think.... people on discussing the news of the day in bitesize chunks. But the problem is that it has become so repetitive.... Ian Guider on discussing Tesla and the banks everyday is boring.... Cal Thomas is a US politics caricature (and downright racist on occasion, I really don't know why he keeps having him on). John Cadell is a frankly dislikable curmudgeon who is so predictable in his sense of disliking everything except boring re-releases of Bob Dylan B Sides from 1966.

Plus..... if you take into account the blindspot regarding reporting and anything Denis O'Brien related and you then have something properly corrupt going on.

That's why I stopped listening, it was so repetitive.

I think the fact that they limited the potential guests due to their bans on certain media outlets didn't help.

But every day it sounds so similar, despite discussing different topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭statto25

Marian McKeown of the Last Word parish on with Claire Byrne this morning. Has she been on with Matt lately? Shes speaking about the Brittany Spears case in the states

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Have heard her on rte a few times over the last few years she has been on with Matt recently .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭statto25

Have heard her on rte a few times over the last few years she has been on with Matt recently .

Its the first time Ive heard her on Irish radio bar TLW so I said I'd ask

Heard her at the weekends on rte while on with Matt during the week didn't really know her only for TLW so that's why I noticed her on rte .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

statto25 wrote: »
    Marian McKeown of the Last Word parish on with Claire Byrne this morning. Has she been on with Matt lately? Shes speaking about the Brittany Spears case in the states

Herself and Cal Thomas were on TLW yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Meant to say nice to hear Cal recently and hear that he has recovered from his Trump affliction. Back to his old self.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Was listening to TLW on the way home yesterday. Absolute fluff piece about Generation Z young adults. Load of waffle, had to switch off after a few minutes. Telling them how tough they have it, how they're going to save the world. Every generation has it's own challanges and every generation had it's activists in their youth, they' werent as vocal about it with the lack of social media however! Really bad piece and it really shows how low in standards TLW has fallen. That sort of sh1te should have been on Spin 1038!

Haven't listened to Fat Cooper since about 2007

• Advertisement

Talking about 9 11 tonight Marian on and of course had to get a bit in about the invasion of capital hill while Talking about the affect 9 11 had on the USA. No fan of Trump but no need to keep bringing him up at any opportunity .

Who was the Mick fella who was filling in for MC on the Last Word today?

Terrible radio presenter, his diction was shocking. He may well have known his stuff, but it always helps when you can understand what he's saying. Between his 'dems' and 'dats'.

And the 6 @ 6 reached new lows today. This guy and some terrible newsreader going head to head. It sounds like a poor student radio station.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Probably Mick Clifford, arguably the best print journalist around, not the clearest of speakers I would have to admit.

A hard listen for 2 and a half hours.

Thanks for that.

No point being the best journo if you are hard to listen to.

I think if MC ever leaves, Frank Greaney has that gig sown up.

Post edited by NIMAN on

If Cooper ever leaves, it will be because the owners have been given the green light by the BAI to drop the show. The only good thing I'll say about Cooper is that he's been doing that show for 18 years which is a great stint. His predecessor Eamon Dunphy jumped ship after only 5 years and during his 5 years hosting the show, he'd go missing for the entire 3 months of summer and take frequent sick days the rest of the year.

Didn't realise MC was there so long.

Yep, he took over from Dunphy the first Monday of January 2003

Would be interesting to listen back to his early shows and see how different the modern ones are.

Of course we are talking about a time when you could call someone elderly and not get scolded.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Here he is in 2010 getting stuck in to someone. Don't think he'd be so aggressive nowadays. The fight is gone from him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭Tork

He knows that if he gets stuck into somebody and says the wrong thing, the house of cards will fall on him. Like him or loathe him, George Hook got hounded from his radio show by the baying Twitter mob. Of course the very same thing'd happen to Cooper if he went against popular opinion. I also get the impression that he's surrounded by loads of "woke" colleagues on Today FM and it's easier to just go along with that than to fall out with them. With the huge workload he has, he can't afford to fall out with the people who support him in the workplace.

Advertisement