Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Last Word

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

let me guess, Gannon or Roe went on a rant about the Mumford and sons guy

Surely Roe is keeping a low profile at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭statto25

Caddell sounds like he is happy to take a paychecque while causing as much trouble as possible for the 10 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 32,943 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

statto25 wrote: »
    Caddell sounds like he is happy to take a paychecque while causing as much trouble as possible for the 10 mins

He is employed by the company anyway, he is a content director!

NIMAN wrote: »
    He is employed by the company anyway, he is a content director!

Id forgotten that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

let me guess, Gannon or Roe went on a rant about the Mumford and sons guy

No neither of them. It was the regular music contributor...can't think of her name and can't find it either

• Advertisement

jay0109 wrote: »
    No neither of them. It was the regular music contributor...can't think of her name and can't find it either

Dee Reddy

Opel is the perfect sponsor for the show these days.

Tries to pretend its a premium German product, but its really not that good, bit inferior.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Surely Roe is keeping a low profile at the moment?

Seems to be the case. Middle class white man bashing kinda won't wash from her now...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Seems to be the case. Middle class white man bashing kinda won't wash from her now...

#ibelieveher.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Glad I'm watching the TV series Line of Duty so that I knew what CHIS meant when that Garda just said it a few minutes ago :pac:

• Advertisement

• 'Look "Ciarán" just shut up. I'm better than you'

This is not The Hard Shoulder :D

I see TLW had a complaint upheld against it, when some contributor claimed JK Rowling was transphobic.

Wonder who it was who made that statement?

Interesting to see the line in the article that says the comment wasn't challenged by the presenter. Sure that's his form these days.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/bai-uphold-complaint-againsttoday-fm-over-guests-claim-jk-rowling-is-transphobic-40312460.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭Tork

That line leapt out at me too. I suppose it'd be too much of a stretch to think this might give Matt Cooper a long overdue boot up the backside. I really don't know what has happened to him. Is he overstretched with work? Is he afraid to offend his production team or the Twitter mob? Or have his journalistic instincts become blunted?

I read on the other thread it was Roe McDermott.

No surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Tork wrote: »
    That line leapt out at me too. I suppose it'd be too much of a stretch to think this might give Matt Cooper a long overdue boot up the backside. I really don't know what has happened to him. Is he overstretched with work? Is he afraid to offend his production team or the Twitter mob? Or have his journalistic instincts become blunted?

Nail on head I would think.

Group think. Production teams on Today FM and Newstalk dominated by left leaning, SJW types.

And afraid of saying anything that may annoy the Twitter mob in case it led to less Opinion pieces, TV appearances, book deals etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Agreed as well. He's scared of the Twitter tribe. I've been listening and reading to Matt for years, he always leaned centre-right. I suspect he disagrees with loads of this woke nonsense but has been beaten back by the mob. It takes a brave person to fully stand up to it all the time in media circles, you're risking your career and becoming a social pariah (in leftie media circles, not the genral public obviously)

Agreed as well. He's scared of the Twitter tribe. I've been listening and reading to Matt for years, he always leaned centre-right. I suspect he disagrees with loads of this woke nonsense but has been beaten back by the mob. It takes a brave person to fully stand up to it all the time in media circles, you're risking your career and becoming a social pariah (in leftie media circles, not the genral public obviously)

That's a shame, if people are not being true to themselves as a journalist, simply as they feel others wouldn't agree with them, and it could possibly harm their career. Whatever happened to standing up for your beliefs?

It's easy to be one of the woke crowd who agrees with all the nonsense out there at present, as you'll find no-one is brave enough to challenge you any more. The brave ones are the ones who are true to themselves and their beliefs.

But I guess if I had Matts job, I too might pretend to be someone I'm not to simply stay on the gravy train.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭Tork

Look what happened to George Hook. Whether you agree or not with what he said, he was hounded from his radio show by the Twitterati.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Denis O'Brien had a conference call with Communicorp employees on his last day of involvement with the group today, where he instructed the Irish Times ban to be lifted.

https://www.independent.ie/business/denis-obrien-marks-last-day-as-owner-of-radio-brands-by-telling-staff-its-time-to-lift-irish-times-ban-40489447.html

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

Two months since anyone posted here, I wonder have many of the regular listeners tuned out?

• Advertisement

Listened today, first time in a while.

It's still very repetitive imo.
    Also hate the way MC tells you multiple times who a contributor is, and their job title, and who they work for.

Probably won't be tuning in for another few weeks.

DrSerious3 wrote: »
    Two months since anyone posted here, I wonder have many of the regular listeners tuned out?

I have a personal theory, that Today FM is a workplace radio station. I have only ever heard Today FM when sitting in a waiting room, or when someone was in our office to replace carpets. Don't ask me to explain, I cannot.

We have often heard the expression "hairdresser radio" on this forum, well Today FM is "tradesman radio". I don't know anyone who listens to it in the evening. Why would you? I would say a great majority of the population is totally ignorant of Matt Cooper's radio programme. I include myself in that cohort.

Ironically, it is a decent station in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Butson

Yeah, Ed Smith plays great tunes in the evening after 7. No waffle talk.

The Last Word has really gone to the dogs. Cooper sounds either disinterested, or completely afraid to challenge the new PC World order.

Far easier to just snigger at Boris, Cummings, Trump etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I read on the other thread it was Roe McDermott.

No surprise.

Why she's on the show is beyond me. Almost as insufferable as her brother

siblers wrote: »
    Why she's on the show is beyond me. Almost as insufferable as her brother

Careful.:D

There was a contributor on recently, another Eoghan McDermott, and I noticed Matt was calling him Eoghan Tomas McDermott.

The guy probably insists on that now, so he's not confused with the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

Careful.:D

There was a contributor on recently, another Eoghan McDermott, and I noticed Matt was calling him Eoghan Tomas McDermott.

The guy probably insists on that now, so he's not confused with the other one.

I might be wrong but for as long as I've heard him (mainly on the Friday 4.30pm weekly chat slot) - he has always been E Thomas McD

Must give it a listen this evening.

I like Matt Cooper on the TV, I'm surprised he never moved to Newstalk or a station with a reputation for political news.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

DrSerious3 wrote: »

A long time ago for me. The lockdown cheerleading became insufferable. Harder, longer, stricter. Ireland and its media bloody LOVE being locked down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

robo wrote: »
    I might be wrong but for as long as I've heard him (mainly on the Friday 4.30pm weekly chat slot) - he has always been E Thomas McD

I think you're wrong, I think he has always been Eoghan McDermott because I used get confused. He is occasionally on Ireland AM also

Advertisement