Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kolrus - The Reveal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

I went with a real cheese-ball of a song for this round that at one point was my most hated song

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

In 10th place with 10 points is
    Homer

John Newman - Love Me Again

Heard the artist: Yes
    Heard the song: Yes

My rating: ★★★☆☆

Review

This is a song I have heard many times but if you asked me who sung it or what it was called I wouldn’t have a clue. Great upbeat song. I do actually dislike the singer’s vocals. Just something that sounds off. I don’t know if I’m rating this more for familiarity with the song or not. If I heard it for the first time now I don’t know if I would like it more, probably not. I think the average rating is about right here. Am I missing something about this song?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Think I'll be bottom 3 here. I'd probably give myself bottom 3 on this one in fairness, since I hate myself for submitting this artist into a Walrus. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Kolido wrote: »
    In 11th place with 9 points is
    Bubbly

Miley Cyrus- Wrecking Ball

Review

This is a song that I didn’t like so much when I first heard it but listening to it more now for this game, it sounds much better than I remembered. Still nothing great but it would have gotten a lower rating before. This song might sound better covered, not that I fault Miley’s vocals, but I think this could have been arranged better. Another decent pick.

Great pick, I hated this initially but really like it now, forgot all about it :D

In 9th place with 11 points is
    Beaker

Oasis - Whats the Story Morning Glory

Review

More Oasis, are you trying to turn me into a fan? A decent track. Typical Oasis sound, Liam on vocals. Enough said. Time for a little story to make up the rest of this review. Back in the day, my mate told everyone at school that the Gallaghers were my cousins, I looked a bit like Laim!. Anyways, people started asking me if I can get them concert tickets. This went on for long enough, these now grownups probably still believe it. Anyways, an okay pick.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Think I'll be bottom 3 here. I'd probably give myself bottom 3 on this one in fairness, since I hate myself for submitting this artist into a Walrus. :pac:

My exact feelings for entering George Ezra :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

In 18 place with 2 points is Beaker

Years and years - Sanctify

friggin' love this band!

great song choice :)

In 8th place with 12 points is
    Sawduck

The Fray - How to Save a Life

Review

A perfect song for this category. I find myself liking and not liking this song from time to time. It is a really nice song I must say, easy to listen to. I didn’t research the lyrics or meaning of the song, I’m sure there is something rather dark to them. I have not heard anything from these guys since, and don't know much about them. Again, a decent pick but an average rating is about the best I can give it.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,767 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

ari101 wrote: »
    Well a good spot - it was originally a Script song covered by this American Idol winner :D

Yes it was

I like Kris but Adam Lambert should have won that year

In 7th place with 13 points is
    Hillbilly

Oasis - Champagne Supernova

My rating: ★★★★☆

Review

Another Oasis track, didn’t you guys learn anything? Good news though, this is one of my favourite Oasis songs. Really like the sound of this one, unusual for a song Laim is singing. Great lyrics as usual. This one reminds me of the times we all used to go drinking with cans before hitting the clubs. A great sing along song, I’m sure we have all sung it drunk. Yeah, great pick, not one I had to change my mind about, always liked this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,860 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

In 15th place with 5 points is
    EN

The Cranberries - Daffodil Lament

Heard the song: No

Review

This was on one of the first CDs I ever bought. Great album but for the life of me I can’t remember this song. Having listened to it a few times now I can’t say it is anything fantastic. Much better songs from this band. Delores’s distinctive voice is there but nothing about it really stands out to me. It does go on for quite a bit too. Average rating is probably generous.

Just catching up and obviously I think you're wrong, this is their best song that isn't Zombie :p

Ah well, was a bit of an odd pick. My reasoning was that it was so different to any of their singles, so showed another side to them

I genuinely love this song, the contrast between the two halves is great, the solemnness of the first half, describing being in a bad relationship, and the sheer joy of the escape in the second, such that even the daffodils are lovely!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Just catching up and obviously I think you're wrong, this is their best song that isn't Zombie :p

Ah well, was a bit of an odd pick. My reasoning was that it was so different to any of their singles, so showed another side to them

I genuinely love this song, the contrast between the two halves is great, the solemnness of the first half, describing being in a bad relationship, and the sheer joy of the escape in the second, such that even the daffodils are lovely!

I agree, this is a great track! Although Linger is obviously their best song :P

In 6th place with 14 points is
    Purple

Neil Diamond - Love On The Rocks

Review

This sounds familiar but I wouldn’t be able to name it if you asked me. Typical sounding for an early 80s movie ballad. From the Jazz Singer also starring Diamond. Neil Diamond has a great voice I must say. This one starts off slow with piano and vocal then when the chorus kicks in it rocks up a bit. Yeah, I must say I really like this one. This one is going on my playlist for a while.

cee_jay wrote: »
    My exact feelings for entering George Ezra :D
    I went the other way with George Ezra - saw him at an open mic night in a pub and he was amazing. Turned out he was doing the pub a favour after getting his deal, he'd played there regularly before but I didn't know that. About a month later Budapest came out and was everywhere and I very quickly grew to hate him :p

In 5th place with 15 points is
    Stu

George Michael - Careless Whisper

Review

Yeah great song. That iconic sax beginning. Great music, great vocals. I’m not sure if this song is overrated. I guess it is highly rated by a lot but for good reason imo. Just like listening to this one, I don’t hear it too often, well I don’t listen to George too often so it has never been overplayed for me. I have never not liked this one, a very good pick.

In 14th place with 6 points is Sinead

The original Lynyrd Skynyrd version is grand but nowhere near as good as some people think. I remember it won a walrus round back in the early days. This version is not as good as the original imo. Not to say it is much worse but the song isn’t great to begin with. A very lyrically driven song with mostly just acoustic guitar in this version. It is not really the kind of music I tend to listen too, a grand pick though.

I didn't even know this was a cover! I'll have to look that up :)

In 4th place with 16 points is
    LeVar

Mariah Carey - Always Be My Baby

Review

This was a shock when I saw who nominated it. I thought they were throlling! Okay, here it is, 90s Mariah is awesome and this is probably my favourite Mariah track. Did you get a bit lucky there! Really love the harmonies in this song. Love her or hate here, Mariah had one of the best voices around this period of time. Brilliant pick, if it doesn’t top this round it must be for a very good reason.

Bottom and top 3
    Ari
    Aris
    EN
    Seph
    Shane
    Shelly

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

:pac:

Wasn't expecting that high on that song.

In general I ain't a fan of Mariah, but yeah Always Be My Baby definitely grew on me and I begrudgingly love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,396 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Uh oh

• Advertisement

:pac:

Wasn't expecting that high on that song.

In general I ain't a fan of Mariah, but yeah Always Be My Baby definitely grew on me and I begrudgingly love it.
    tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

giphy.gif

In 17th place with 3 points is
    Aris

Muse - Supermassive Black Hole

Review

Not a fan of Muse and I’m probably being very harsh here. This song probably deserves more. It is not terrible, in fact it is grand, just like the majority of the songs here and it left it difficult to place. This song probably defines the category, I could be a fan of this next week.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

In 7th place with 13 points is
    Seph

Xenoblade Chronicles - You Will Know Our Names

Heard the artist: No

Review

This sounds awesome. A nice change in pace from the average picks in this round. Love the guitars in this great and super tempo. Heard of the game but I’ve not played it so I’m not familiar with the soundtrack. Reminds me of the early PS1 days and those japanese fighting games. Goes on for a bit would be my only negative but great idea for a pick.

Delighted you like it, that game has some fantastic music in it and its a fantastic game, definitely play it sometime.

In 3rd place with 17 points is
    Shane

Shakespeare's Sister - Stay

My rating:
    ★★★★★

Review

Excellent, love this song. Start off a bit slowish, nothing great but when the drums kick in this really hits the mark. I always find this really dramatic and work really well. Love the video, I recall this got so much airplay back in the day. It is a much shorter song than I remembered. Written by our very own Siobhan Fahey and Dave Steward. Yep, great pick, love this song.

I have always loved that SS song!

In 18th place with 2 points is
    Shelly

Nicki Minaj - Freedom

Review

Nicki Minaj, okay! Not a fan, she is controversial and can’t sing, all the attributes of a successful music career I suppose. This song is actually very nice musically, I just wish someone else was singing and not nonsense lyrics. I don’t care about your career Nicki, I just want to listen to a nice song. Yeah, take the verses from this song and it would be much better. The rating is basically for the music.

Shakespeare's Sister - Stay
    Written by our very own Siobhan Fahey and Dave Steward
    Didn't know that! :)
    Cracking tune, don't know how you ever hated it Shane!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,840 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I have always loved that SS song!

The video gave me nightmares as a kid :pac: That's why I hated it

• Advertisement

In 2nd place with 18 points is
    Seph

Faith No More - Epic

My rating:
    ★★★★★

Review

This is really great, never in a million years did I expect anyone to pick this song. I was a big FNM fan back when this was released. Loved ``The Real Thing” album. I must have played this so many times, haven’t heard it in years until it turned up recently in the weekly walrus. My mates and I were into metal in the early 90s, the likes of Metallica and Slayer, this was something fresh. FNM were around for quite some time before this but I think they recently changed vocalist Mike Patten singing here. Yeah this was all over MTV, great video. Back when MTV used to play a lot of rock and metal, Headbangers Ball anyone? Brilliant pick.

Advertisement