Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kolrus - The Reveal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

I'm not confident in my selection, especially since i can't remember it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

In 17th place with 3 points is
    Hillbilly

Stereo MC's - Fever (Steve Hillage Remix)

Heard the artist: Yes
    Heard the song: No

My rating: ★★★☆☆

Review

We all know ‘connected’, and that is the only Stereo MCs song I’m familiar with. I don’t know how to explain what is going on here, better off listening for yourself. So many different sounds interacting, I don’t know if I should be dancing or performing circus tricks. But one thing I am sure about is it just goes on and on forever. I do like the drum and bass and some of the various other instruments, I don’t even know what they are. Difficult to rate, I like it but it is very long. I think an average score is about right. One of the more interesting picks of the whole game, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,797 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Some hidden gems unearthed this round

In 3rd place with 17 points is
    Ari

Bruce Springsteen - Letter to You

My rating: ★★★★☆

Review

Haven’t listened to anything new from Bruce in some time. I was a bit weary about this pick. Does the Boss still sound good, is it going to be very folksy? Got to say I really like this one. Great tempo and Bruce sounds great. Just a catchy number that sounds great and a nice promo video to go along with it. Was this released as a single, not really sure. Nice pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Kolido wrote: »
    In 14th place with 6 points is
    Purple

Gnome - Earthen Dweller

Heard the artist: No

Review

A rock instrumental from this Belgium band. Not heard of these guys before. This gets an average rating mainly for one reason, rock instruments don’t really do it for me, I need vocals. Now if it was a piano piece or classical, I would love it. That aside and if you like the genre, this sounds pretty good. I can hear elements of grunge and classical 70s rock in this. Some great guitar work and banging drums. Tried a few more of their songs and they seem to be completely instrumental, I would be pulling my hair out listening to these guys all day. Not saying this is bad but just not really for me, unlucky pick.
    agree with this.

great song, but I'm not a fan of songs with no singing either. sorry purple

That's cool, it's horses for courses.
    I'm into a few instrumental rock bands. For me they will need two key ingredients to hit the mark:

1. Must be tight AF
    2. Must rock like a bastard.
    Gnome pass with flying colours :cool::)

• Advertisement

In 18 place with 2 points is
    Beaker

Years and years - Sanctify

My rating: ★★☆☆☆

Review

This is an okay song at best. I only know one song from this act, that being ‘King’ which while it didn’t qualify here, is a much better song. It does get better a s the song goes on. The chorus does sound much better than the rest of the song. Then there is that constant best that kind of grates on you after too long. Yeah I think less than average is about right here. Not a great pick unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

In 3rd place with 17 points is
    Ari

Bruce Springsteen - Letter to You

Review

Haven’t listened to anything new from Bruce in some time. I was a bit weary about this pick. Does the Boss still sound good, is it going to be very folksy? Got to say I really like this one. Great tempo and Bruce sounds great. Just a catchy number that sounds great and a nice promo video to go along with it. Was this released as a single, not really sure. Nice pick.

Glad you liked it! The e-street sound is back in this one! :)
    I'm bad for not listening to albums so I was stumped by this category a bit (I now have loads of ideas typical brain freeze :D), friend of mine big into Bruce got me to listen to some of the new album. I understand this was promoted as part of the album launch, but I don't think it was a single - it did not chart to my knowledge (I had a quick look before I submitted it) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,840 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

In 9th place with 11 points is
    Shane

Postal Service - Such Great Heights

I’m not sure if this was not released as a single, I will go on the judgement of the player here
    it didn't chart in UK or Ireland which I think was the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Letter to you was a single, the lead single actually from the album of the same name.
    A great song nevertheless.

Edit: I don't think it charted though

In 2nd place with 18 points is
    Bubbly

The Stone Roses - This is the one

Review

Following my research of songs I don’t know, I found that this is somewhat of a Man Utd anthem. This leaves me in a very difficult position. Nah.. you’re safe, I’m not like that. So, as I said, very anthem sounding and I could imagine this is a big hit live. I do really like this song having just heard it for the first time. These guys have never really been on my radar, I mean I know a few songs but I never went out of my way to listen more to them. If this is an unreleased song, the album must be pretty good. So, pretty good, a real surprise actually. Very good pick.

• Advertisement

In 19th place with 1 points is
    Sawduck

T-Rex - The King of The Mountain Cometh

My rating: ★☆☆☆☆

Review

Don’t know much about T-Rex apart from 3 songs which I can name. This obviously isn’t one of them. This sounds very experimental and it sounds to have gone completely wrong to me. I’m sorry, this is just not for me, I’m sure it is highly praised in some corners of the music world. Unfortunately a bad pick.

In 1st place with 19 points is
    LeVar

Commuter - Young Hearts

Heard the song: Yes

Review

The Karate Kid soundtrack is one of my favourites of the 80s, that is saying a lot considering how great the movie soundtracks of that decade were. This is also probably my second favorite song on the soundtrack. So with that said, this pick can’t not do well in this round. Great 80s movie pop sound here, just nothing at all to dislike about it. Nice music, vocals, tempo. I think this was a real smart pick actually, an album track is quite risky at the best of times, does the guy running the game like the band, like the album, like the song? Going with a well known movie soundtrack was a genius idea and really paid off here. A surprising and excellent pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

giphy.gif

The Karate Kid soundtrack is one of my favourites of the 80s, that is saying a lot considering how great the movie soundtracks of that decade were.

giphy.gif

Player|Uncharted|R2|R3|R4|R5|R6|R7|R8|Total
    LeVar|19||||||||19
    Bubblypop|18||||||||18
    Ari|17||||||||17
    Barna 77|16||||||||16
    Shelly|15||||||||15
    CeeJay|14||||||||14
    Seph|13||||||||13
    Stu|12||||||||12
    Shane|11||||||||11
    Homer|10||||||||10
    Liz|9||||||||9
    Aris|8||||||||8
    Necro|7||||||||7
    Purple|6||||||||6
    EN|5||||||||5
    Sinead|4||||||||4
    HillBilly4|3||||||||3
    Beaker|2||||||||2
    SawDuck|1||||||||1

Player | Song | Position | Points
    LeVar | Commuter - Young Hearts | 1st | 19
    Bubbly | The Stone Roses - This is the one | 2nd | 18
    Ari | Bruce Springsteen - Letter to You | 3rd | 17
    Barna | Fleetwood Mac - Songbird | 4th | 16
    Shelly | The Veronicas - All I Have | 5th | 15
    Ceejay | Pentatonix - Daft Punk | 6th | 14
    Seph | Xenoblade Chronicles - You Will Know Our Names | 7th | 13
    Stu | Agnes Obel - Familiar | 8th | 12
    Shane | Postal Service - Such Great Heights | 9th | 11
    Homer | Rilo Kiley - Under the Blacklight | 10th | 10
    Liz | One Direction - Wolves | 11th | 9
    Aris | Simple Minds - And The Band Played On | 12th | 8
    Necro | Oasis - Underneath The Sky | 13th | 7
    Purple | Gnome - Earthern Dweller | 14th | 6
    EN | The Cranberries - Daffodil Lament | 15th | 5
    Sinead | Halsey - Gasoline | 16th | 4
    Hillbilly| Stereo MC's - Fever (Steve Hillage Remix) | 17th | 3
    Beaker| Years and years - Sanctify | 18th | 2
    Sawduck| T-Rex - The King of The Mountain Cometh | 19th | 1

Do you want another round? Not too many here tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

In 18 place with 2 points is
    Beaker

Years and years - Sanctify

My rating: ★★☆☆☆

Review

This is an okay song at best. I only know one song from this act, that being ‘King’ which while it didn’t qualify here, is a much better song. It does get better a s the song goes on. The chorus does sound much better than the rest of the song. Then there is that constant best that kind of grates on you after too long. Yeah I think less than average is about right here. Not a great pick unfortunately.

Aw, I like this.
    Beakerjoe submitted it to my walrus last year and though I haven't heard it I liked it and has been in my playlist ever since.

555267.png

Do you want another round? Not too many here tonight

Pubs are back. Don't think we can count on the same live viewer rating for reveals as we've become accustomed to over the past year and a half... :pac:

Whatever suits yourself.

Pubs are back. Don't think we can count on the same live viewer rating for reveals as we've become accustomed to over the past year and a half... :pac:

Whatever suits yourself.

Have it prepared so going to fly through it

• Advertisement

In 16th place with 4 points is
    Necro

O-Zone - Dragostea Din Tei

Review

Well, here we go. A novelty song nominated for a walrus. What can go wrong you ask, well quite a lot. Fortunately it is not a song that annoys me too much but unfortunately it won’t be winning any awards either. Yeah, I mean, I can listen to this a few times and then I need to change the record. It’s novelty and it won’t be on my playlist. Could have been worse but I can only give this an average rating at best.

In 15th place with 5 points is
    CeeJay

George Ezra - Paradise

Review

Yeah, another decent song but not great. Good tempo, musically and vocally it is fine. I will say it has improved the more I listened to it, so it lives up to the category. Don’t know much about George Ezra, I do prefer that Budapest song. That for sure would have fared better here. Decent pick.

16/20 is a tough average - either Kolido's average is harsh or this was a good round for him :D
    I have no idea what I submitted for this one...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

In 15th place with 5 points is
    CeeJay

Review

Yeah, another decent song but not great. Good tempo, musically and vocally it is fine. I will say it has improved the more I listened to it, so it lives up to the category. Don’t know much about George Ezra, I do prefer that Budapest song. That for sure would have fared better here. Decent pick.

I hated this so much,and then my little nephew and niece loved him so much. As they paid him over and over, I now love this song (Shotgun not so much).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

In 16th place with 4 points is
    Necro

O-Zone - Dragostea Din Tei

Review

Well, here we go. A novelty song nominated for a walrus. What can go wrong you ask, well quite a lot. Fortunately it is not a song that annoys me too much but unfortunately it won’t be winning any awards either. Yeah, I mean, I can listen to this a few times and then I need to change the record. It’s novelty and it won’t be on my playlist. Could have been worse but I can only give this an average rating at best.

This has always been a guilty pleasure of mine, i used to pretend to hate it

In 14th place with 6 points is
    Sinead

Shinedown - Simple man

Review

The original Lynyrd Skynyrd version is grand but nowhere near as good as some people think. I remember it won a walrus round back in the early days. This version is not as good as the original imo. Not to say it is much worse but the song isn’t great to begin with. A very lyrically driven song with mostly just acoustic guitar in this version. It is not really the kind of music I tend to listen too, a grand pick though.

In 13th place with 7 points is
    Liz

Kris Allen - Live Like We're Dying

Review

Don’t recall hearing this song before. They sound very like The Script. A decent song but nothing really stands out to make it sound that extra bit that would lift the rating. Like a lot of songs in the category, decent but not going to make any playlist for me. They do sound good though, nice vocals, I may look more into these guys.

In 12th place with 8 points is
    Barna

Michael Jackson - Thriller

Review
    This song is average, or at least that was my opinion of it. I must say though, it has improved after a few listens. It is still just above average for me. I think the music and the chorus are catchy. I also think it is way over produced. The cinematic music video was groundbreaking at the time and very influential over the years. Jackson has many better songs than this one. It just wouldn’t be one I would listen to often. An okay pick.

In 13th place with 7 points is
    Liz

Kris Allen - Live Like We're Dying

Review

Don’t recall hearing this song before. They sound very like The Script. A decent song but nothing really stands out to make it sound that extra bit that would lift the rating. Like a lot of songs in the category, decent but not going to make any playlist for me. They do sound good though, nice vocals, I may look more into these guys.

Well a good spot - it was originally a Script song covered by this American Idol winner :D

• Advertisement

In 11th place with 9 points is
    Bubbly

Miley Cyrus- Wrecking Ball

Review

This is a song that I didn’t like so much when I first heard it but listening to it more now for this game, it sounds much better than I remembered. Still nothing great but it would have gotten a lower rating before. This song might sound better covered, not that I fault Miley’s vocals, but I think this could have been arranged better. Another decent pick.

Advertisement