Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F1 2021 Round 6: Azerbaijan GP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭ItsChecoTime

Fantastic win for Sergio, hopefully that's a weight off his back and he can push on from here with any Albon comparisons well and truly dismissed now.

Interesting how Sainz' lock up caused one of the most important parts of the race with both Lewis and Gasly hoping for a VSC and pitting under the yellows. With Lewis' straight-line speed it would have been interesting to see whether the red bulls could have got past him on the track

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Darwin

Overall not the most exciting race, but the two tyre incidents and the restart livened it up towards the end. It was very refreshing to see three drivers on the podium who were delighted with their respective positions and not somebody standing on the second or third spot with a rain cloud over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Darwin wrote: »
    Overall not the most exciting race, but the two tyre incidents and the restart livened it up towards the end. It was very refreshing to see three drivers on the podium who were delighted with their respective positions and not somebody standing on the second or third spot with a rain cloud over them.

I enjoyed all of it to be honest, less barrier shunting than I expected but it was still interesting watching the different strategies play out. Once the tire blowouts happened it got very interesting, 2 lap sprint races might be worth a look as a form of qualifying or something? :pac:

Also what's the latest on the tires? Was it debris or failure?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

MadYaker wrote: »

Also what's the latest on the tires? Was it debris or failure?

Interview with Pirelli by Sky Sport Germany but conducted in English.

They're basically saying nothing which isn't that surprising I suppose.

Funny video of Toto on the restart, the headset almost got it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Anyone spot Toto's mask slipping there :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭klose

I wonder will yesterday mean we won't see the softest sets for another bit while they're investigating what happened?

Obviously the podium yesterday was refreshing to see, can't help but smile seeing vettel there, looks like he's getting the feel for the car and happy with it, gasly really is mustard too. There was plenty talk that checo likes Baku and he walked the walk and talked the talk.

Season certainly shaping up nicely, looks like red bull will be favourites for the constructors seeing as bottas looks a bit of a lost soul at the moment, hopeuflly max can keep up his performance too, the Mercedes situation is fascinating really seeing how it pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Gotta say I enjoyed Paul "mee-jum tyre" Di Riesta in the comms box yesterday.

Brundle has become very stale of late, same old clichés. Sounds bored most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ultimate Gowlbag

Gotta say I enjoyed Paul "mee-jum tyre" Di Riesta in the comms box yesterday.

Brundle has become very stale of late, same old clichés. Sounds bored most of the time.

Jesus no!

Felt sorry for the drivers trying to understand a muffled scottish accent asking them questions afterwards too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,244 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Please, enjoy. :D

• Advertisement

I think I made a similar noise myself :pac:

It's the second time he's done it. Last season covering the Austrian Grand Prix when Albon and Hamilton came together, same thing.

And just to confirm it was him not Billy Monger.
    https://twitter.com/C4F1/status/1401957812775882752?s=19

Buttonftw wrote: »

The subreddit I didn't know I needed

MadYaker wrote: »
    The subreddit I didn't know I needed
    You're welcome. :D It's absolutely great, even several pages deep. :P

555276.png

OK I'll stop posting memes but I couldn't stop laughing at this one.

555279.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Yup I like him, he used to be so stiff and rehearsed before but he has grown into the commentating gig.

Ya i think when doing the general pundit stuff, he is not watchable but not bad at all in commentary - its abit more free. I think he got the hang of it doing some friday practice slots which really is very relaxed and they general say everything and anything.
    Its hard to beat brundle though. He is just generally on the ball.

flazio wrote: »
    It's the second time he's done it. Last season covering the Austrian Grand Prix when Albon and Hamilton came together, same thing.

And just to confirm it was him not Billy Monger.
    https://twitter.com/C4F1/status/1401957812775882752?s=19

Billy Monger wont be in favour with Hamilton anymore after that. It looks like Billy is quite happy to see Lewis going straight on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

mickdw wrote: »
    Ya i think when doing the general pundit stuff, he is not watchable but not bad at all in commentary - its abit more free. I think he got the hang of it doing some friday practice slots which really is very relaxed and they general say everything and anything.
    Its hard to beat brundle though. He is just generally on the ball.

I felt Di Resta had much more technical knowledge of the cars and conveyed it well during the race. To be expected I suppose.

Brundle trots out the same old things about DRS and fuel load reducing etc. every race. Maybe he's been lulled into too comfortable of a zone given Mercedes' dominance the past few years, but someone should tell him we have a championship on our hands this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

Brundle "Racer" knowledge still applies ,his issue is he has never really driven these cars other than the odd show day.
    Where as Di Resta , Nico Rosberg have driven these cars and Nico more so . So the technical detail is far more applicable.

In time as the cars move on they will have to Change from Di Resta and Nico as well as there information will be out of date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Billy Monger wont be in favour with Hamilton anymore after that. It looks like Billy is quite happy to see Lewis going straight on.

Meh wouldnt read too much into his reaction. It was an excited reaction to an exciting development in the race more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

I was so disappointed seeing Verstappen's blow-out, but I nearly wet myself when Hamilton went straight.

Felt sorry for Latifi. Stupid miscommunication. "Stay Out!"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

From a championship battle perspective, Hamilton missing that corner has probably saved the season. If Hamilton had won then he would be back in strong command of the championship and we're heading back to the traditional tracks where Mercedes will probably resume being the best race car, easier on tyres and RB having a slight advantage on quali pace. Hamilton will probably score more points from here on and if he was already 15 points in the lead, then the championship would be over already.

If it's ok for commentators to support Hamilton then surely it's ok for Monger to not support Hamilton and favour a good championship battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Lurching wrote: »
    I was so disappointed seeing Verstappen's blow-out, but I nearly wet myself when Hamilton went straight.

Felt sorry for Latifi. Stupid miscommunication. "Stay Out!"

Yeah not Latifi's fault. But I was watching Latifi during the race and he was able to keep within about 2 seconds off Russell once the came together on track (after the stroll safety car). That's pretty decent, all things considered. I don't think he's atop driver or anything like it, but he is a hugely improved driver since last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭recyclebin

The gap between Latifi and Russell looks to have narrowed this season. Russell has much better quali pace though. Leclerc is the new Mr Saturday too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

recyclebin wrote: »
    The gap between Latifi and Russell looks to have narrowed this season. Russell has much better quali pace though. Leclerc is the new Mr Saturday too!

Red flags and a tow from Hamilton have given le clerc those poles, I don't think they will get regular poles, it's between Mercedes and redbull.

From a championship battle perspective, Hamilton missing that corner has probably saved the season. If Hamilton had won then he would be back in strong command of the championship and we're heading back to the traditional tracks where Mercedes will probably resume being the best race car, easier on tyres and RB having a slight advantage on quali pace. Hamilton will probably score more points from here on and if he was already 15 points in the lead, then the championship would be over already.

If it's ok for commentators to support Hamilton then surely it's ok for Monger to not support Hamilton and favour a good championship battle.
    Yes it is ok for monger to not support hamilton - i was just commenting from the point of view where hamilton was (outwardly at least) pretty good to him after his accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭This is it

Only seeing highlights now, can't believe I missed that race. Absolutely delighted for Vettel, great drive.

• Advertisement

No problem with the tyre, no cuts to the tyre, tyres run in accordance with Pirelli's directives.
    Jokeshop stuff tbh. I've been something of a defender of Pirelli at times over the last decade or so but blowouts around Vmax with no warning across different teams should be having the drivers up in arms considering some of the nonsense they get pissy about.

Advertisement