Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2021 Round 6: Azerbaijan GP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

*dons tinfoil hat

Leclerc getting his practice in to ruin quali once he gets a pole position time without doing so much damage to his car that he can't race Sunday

:p

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭BrentMused

Haven't had a chance to watch any of practice so I'm just going off the times, but have Mercedes been that bad? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

BrentMused wrote: »
    Haven't had a chance to watch any of practice so I'm just going off the times, but have Mercedes been that bad? :eek:

They have had tyre heating issues. They relied on DAS previously for this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

"If I was Toto with the front wing he's got on his car, I'd keep my mouth shut." :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I'll say it again, DRS really needs to be abolished, at least for circuits like Baku. It's a farce to see guys doing 360 kph by the end of the straight and waltzing by the guy in front. If a car deserves the place because it's inherently faster or more powerful then let it pass unaided, with the advantage of the tow, but this guaranteed overtake nonsense is a load of...nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Andrew76 wrote: »
    "If I was Toto with the front wing he's got on his car, I'd keep my mouth shut." :pac:

Wow, Horner has never been shy, has he?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,095 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Those onboards of the Merc front wing really show the flex.

But again, looks like EVERY car is doing that now. So Merc might well have shot themselves in the foot on that.

RB look like they have the sweet spot in set up with mechanical grip and aero grip. That skinny rear wing but they are still very rapid in the slow/medium corners.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Yeah had seen the same comparison from the Barcelona footage - people are being a bit disingenuous here, that wing moves back a LOT in order for the vertical reference to go down so much. To the point Hamilton was apparently able to spot the movement from the cockpit.

It's without doubt a "moveable aerodynamic aid", but then again, this will likely go the way of the DAS that was, somehow, "not changing the setup of the car" on track :rolleyes:

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Yeah had seen the same comparison from the Barcelona footage - people are being a bit disingenuous here, that wing moves back a LOT in order for the vertical reference to go down so much. To the point Hamilton was apparently able to spot the movement from the cockpit.

It's without doubt a "moveable aerodynamic aid", but then again, this will likely go the way of the DAS that was, somehow, "not changing the setup of the car" on track :rolleyes:

From the sounds of things, every team does it to a degree. So either better tests or they can make a ruling from footage, both sound like legal minefields for the FIA.

• Advertisement

Max into the barrier at 15.

Looks like the track rod is broken.

Session red flagged and a headache that Red Bull could do without!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭This is it

Yeah, same as LeClerc yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 18,055 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Mercedes well off the place so far.

15 is causing so many problems all weekend.

Must have been half the grid into either the barrier or run-off there so far between FP 1-3!

Bottas on the radio just there: "the changes we made were wasted."

Hopefully Max’s car will be all sorted for quali. Have the Mercs done many laps? No way they’re that far down the pecking order (17th, 18th). What a messy session. Looking forward to qualifying even more now.

Jesus, 5 or 6 tenths that tow was worth. They’ll all be doing it surely.

Hamilton gained 0.6 seconds from the tow down the main straight. Qualifying will be insane as everyone will be looking to get into position for a tow.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Hamilton gained 0.6 seconds from the tow down the main straight. Qualifying will be insane as everyone will be looking to get into position for a tow.

And it looks like he pulled out of it a bit too early!

You could probably get close to a second out of it if planned and executed correctly.

Gasly is looking racy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Bottas practicing his pole saving bail out at the end.

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Like I said, World Eyesight Champion. :rolleyes:
    554992.png

I know F1 teams like to talk up their technology but going against Einstein is going to take some doing.
    Anyone out there who wants a job in F1 should stay away from Mechanical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Materials Science and just do a Theoretical Physics degree because that's where all the hires will have to come from.

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Gasly is looking racy.

With no tow either, very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭Joeface

well that was interesting , I hope Gasly has more in him after that.

E3HFLSOXoAASzZW?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

There’ll be lots of messing trying to get the tow, could definitely throw up a surprise or two. Also a big risk of a red flag so important to get a banker lap in, and not be at the end of the queue.

There’ll be lots of messing trying to get the tow, could definitely throw up a surprise or two. Also a big risk of a red flag so important to get a banker lap in, and not be at the end of the queue.

Even bigger chance of a yellow flag which would disrupt some flying laps. I bet there'll be some controversy where someone goes down an escape road, bringing out yellow flags.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,814 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

BBC suggesting that reliance on DAS to warm tyres last year means they're actually out of practice and not good at warming tyres anymore. Could be something in it.

Mercedes is famously easy on tyres, partly by not overheating them. So the often struggle when it comes time to heat the tyres quickly.

That wasn't always the case. I remember them being horrendously harsh on their tyres back in the early 2010s, especially at more rear-limited tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Buttonftw wrote: »
    Like I said, World Eyesight Champion. :rolleyes:

As far as i know, Hamilton didn't say he spotted it from the cockpit. He said he saw it (we've all seen it). Anyone have a quote of Hamilton saying he saw it from the cockpit?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

That wasn't always the case. I remember them being horrendously harsh on their tyres back in the early 2010s, especially at more rear-limited tracks.

Yeah Schumacher used to chew through the rears in particular back in those days. But the last few years they have been very good on tyre wear while also being fast. And this year in particular, the Mercedes being easier on tyres than red bull has given them much greater options on tyre strategy than red bull.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

A Gasly pole would be great craic. Just gets better and better with every race.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,606 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Q1 started, Stroll in the wall red flag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭klose

Turn 15 strikes again, strolls quali is cooked. Red flag helps George Russell who's getting a new PU installed.

Advertisement