Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coffee Bargains

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Velo have 1kg of the Ratnagiri for 34.50 with free delivery over 35 (so throw in some filters)
    https://velocoffee.ie/collections/kg-bags/products/copy-of-india-ratnagiri-estate-225g

Velo are lovely group to deal with got. My chemex from them and they could not have been better.

Definitley recommend them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

Cloudpicker have some decent stuff in their bargain beans. I got two bags of beans roasted on the 9th December for 20 quid. Handy as my other half is getting into brewing too so we're going through more beans. 6-7 week old quality beans are still good.

Finished off my BOGOF coffee angel beans and the Rioki AA was still good six weeks post roast and three weeks after opening them. I'm gonna pick up some bargains like this more often.

Bigbooty wrote: »
    Cloudpicker have some decent stuff in their bargain beans. I got two bags of beans roasted on the 9th December for 20 quid. Handy as my other half is getting into brewing too so we're going through more beans. 6-7 week old quality beans are still good.

Finished off my BOGOF coffee angel beans and the Rioki AA was still good six weeks post roast and three weeks after opening them. I'm gonna pick up some bargains like this more often.

Notice some beans last well and others deteriorate like mad.

Would love to know if there is some science/reason behind it.

Notice some beans last well and others deteriorate like mad.

Would love to know if there is some science/reason behind it.

Yeah maybe it's the processing method or certain varietals. I think vibrant African washed coffee tends to keep better than others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Bigbooty wrote: »

Thanks - had a look here and only 20% off which was a bit disappointing. At half price I'd be all over it :D:D

Thanks - had a look here and only 20% off which was a bit disappointing. At half price I'd be all over it :D:D

I know, it's not a lot really. You'd think they'd go more but as long as the coffee is good I'm happy to save a bit. It's near me so I can just collect it to so no delivery charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

just bought this

https://moyeecoffee.ie/products/moyee-coffee-taster-pack

4 x 250g of different coffees delivered for 30 quid, worth a punt imo

also, it's Fairchain. if I like them I might go for a sub, seems to be all or mostly African coffees.

To circle back to these coffees.

After I ordered them I contacted the company about roast dates etc.

They are batch roasted and then packaged with a nitrogen flush into the packs. I was also told that the Dark Roast is roasted longer, but at lower temps that what would usually be used in other roasteries. (14 mins v 7mins). I had noticed that the Dark Roast was less bitter and acrid than I'd expected it to be, from previous experience with other dark roasted coffee.

Anyway, some reviews

All coffee was brewed in an Aeropress, with 15/250 ratio, 45s bloom and 2.45 steep, with a 45s press.

Dark Roast

I enjoyed this a lot, it's lovely, loads of dark chocolate and a tiny hint of brown sugar sweetness. I never go for dark roast coffee, but if I can find another one that's produced the same way this is (low and slow) then I'd be interested in trying more.

Triple Blend

Same blend that is used for the Dark Roast. It has Rwanda & Uganda beans in it. It's only ok, and was the weakest of the 4 for me - I didn't get any of the big "Africa" flavours from this one, but it was a nice coffee all the same.

Double Blend

2 Ethiopian coffees

I really, really like this one. Lovely creamy coffee, chocolatey but there is a lovely juicy hit just at the end, bringing you back in for more. I'll probably buy another bag or two of this over the next few months. It's not dissimilar to the Fairy Floss from B&D. Definitely my favourite of the 4.

Single Origin

I'm not sure which (or either) of the coffees from the double blend this one is, but it's chocolatey and silky, and doesn't have that juicy finish the double blend has. I enjoy it in rotation with the Double Blend, and would reach for it when I need a nice coffee in front of the fire or something like that.

18% off the new Rwandan at WCC until midnight
    18% discount, until midnight
    Code: WCC18

Seems wrong not to at that price, right?? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭poitinstill

"All coffee was brewed in an Aeropress, with 15/250 ratio, 45s bloom and 2.45 steep, with a 45s press"

I have an aeropress but dont use it much yet.. could you expand on the 15/250 ratio etc.. 45s bloom ?

thanks

• Advertisement

"All coffee was brewed in an Aeropress, with 15/250 ratio, 45s bloom and 2.45 steep, with a 45s press"

I have an aeropress but dont use it much yet.. could you expand on the 15/250 ratio etc.. 45s bloom ?

thanks

Yep.

So, for any coffee I get, I always do a couple of brews like this, then tweak as I think is needed
    • Inverted Method
    • 15g of coffee, ground medium fine (finer than French Press)
    • Add water in a ratio of 2:1 (so for 15g, I'll add 30ml)
    • Stir vigoursly for a few seconds
    • let sit for a total of 45 seconds
    • Add the rest of the water up to 250ml
    • Put on filter and cap
    • Allow to steep for a further 2:45
    • Press slowly, 30-45 seconds

The main tweaks I make will be to grind size and dosage

15g in 250ml is 60g per litre, some coffees will need 65-70g per litre so I'll decide what I need to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭poitinstill

thanks so much.. i shall get on the aeropress for the afternoon:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭breeno

Feel very uncouth with my 20g:250ml ratios for a strong cup.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

There's about 1000 ways to make aeropress, there's no right or wrong, whatever works for you.

Personally I wouldn't let the coffee sit for 2+ mins, the method I use that produces best results for me takes 1 min start to finish, plus 30 seconds plunge time.

Yep, it's a great piece of kit!

Nothing wrong with giving the advice when it's asked for, or outlining steps that get me to a coffee I enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Lidl appear to have a good Delonghi coffee machine on offer next Monday!

It's €129 and same one in Brown Thomas is €299!

I'm on phone unable to post link and unsure of model number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,642 ✭✭✭✭fits

It’s this one. Takes pods and ground coffee

Sorry can’t attach photo.

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Lidl appear to have a good Delonghi coffee machine on offer next Monday!

It's €129 and same one in Brown Thomas is €299!

I'm on phone unable to post link and unsure of model number

Delonghi Vintage Icona by the looks of it. See it on sale on currys uk for 139 pound so seems lidl are doing a good deal on it.

Quick Google indicate its a grand coffee machine with a mediocre steam wand.

Guess it depends on how it compares to others at this price, dedica in my opinion looks nicer and neater for little more at full price 200 euro in Harvey Norman.

Delonghi is a well known brand and seems a good deal especially if your kick starting.

I have one of them, and it's about 8 years old. It needs to be descaled regularly as we live in a hard water area, but that's it. I see a comment above about the steam wand. It's ok, but we aren't into Latte Art or anything fancy like that.

It makes passable to good espresso in my opinion, there seems to be good pressure and the puck is normally not flooded, and there doesn't seem to be channelling. When I have espresso-specific beans, it makes nice coffee.

Oh, don't get that machine if you can't grind your coffee fine enough!

The ESE Pods are normally a good price on Discount Coffee though, the stuff in them is ok, but freshness would be questionable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I always grind fresh beans so the coffee pods not an issue for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Just an FYI, Velo is now free shipping on orders over €40 not 35 any more.

Been reading this forum over the last couple of weeks, so gave in and bought an aeropress.

10% off your entire order at velocoffee.ie this weekend: COFFEE10

Some good value on coffee click clearance section for cleaning products: https://www.coffeeclick.ie/product-category/special-offers/clearance-sales/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Yeah i have been drinking it for about 3 years, so just looking to see what else is out there.
    Found mccabes have a good offer on 3 x 1kg for €54.95 shipped:
    https://mccabecoffee.com/product/ground-decaf/

Its similar to ponaire, great value.
    Price has increased from 51 plus postage to 58.50 plus postage now. Not as good, but still good value.

17% off coffee at Velo today only for paddy's day: VeloPaddy17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Velo are taking the piss with their 200 and 225g bags.

10% off at WCC till midnight on good friday - code: GoodCoffee

Hopefully some more easter codes on the way!

10% off the Congo at WCC:

https://westcorkcoffee.ie/shop/congo

10% code: BH10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,997 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Lidl have their Bella Lungo and Bella Cappuccino 50% off on their app from 03/06
    https://www.lidl.nl/p/assortiment-koffie/koffiecups-bella-caffe-lungo/p43419

Half price aeropresses and other brewing equipment at coffeedrop.ie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Lovely, grabbed an aeropress go for the eventual return to the office. Those bodum french presses are nice too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭sioda

Aeropress go coz you'll never know when you need good coffee

Holy moly that's a great price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

How would that compare to a Bialetti pot in terms of quality of coffee?

How would that compare to a Bialetti pot in terms of quality of coffee?

Way less hassle, and in my opinion the Aerporess and Clever Dripper are tied for best manual brewers available.

The Aero is very forgiving and there are loads of recipes available to get the best, and different, types of coffee from it.

Of course it's all subjective, but for nineteen quid I think you're losing out by not owning an Aeropress

Way less hassle, and in my opinion the Aerporess and Clever Dripper are tied for best manual brewers available.

The Aero is very forgiving and there are loads of recipes available to get the best, and different, types of coffee from it.

Of course it's all subjective, but for nineteen quid I think you're losing out by not owning an Aeropress

You have me sold anyway - about to go buy one..

She'll kill me yet, if its not whiskey, it's coffee.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You have me sold anyway - about to go buy one..

She'll kill me yet, if its not whiskey, it's coffee.
    If it's not bikes, it's coffee, and then whiskey.

Also, they only have pink ones left, but 10 quid for a chilli bottle, even if it's only the 500 ml one is a great price. It's the best insulating bottle I've ever used. The Zojirishi of bottles!

I'm Craft Beer, then home brewing, then coffee

A man needs his hobbies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Thanks, I needed very little encouragement, and your response was more than enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

It's a real pity, but their website is absolutely terrible.

I can't see any Aeropresses, in the sale section or anywhere else, probably because they're sold out, which is fair enough.

But when I enter the subscriptions area I get a 404 message.

The user interface is really clunky and difficult to use, which is a pity. I wouldn't have minded trying a subscription.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I never checked out so my aeropress and chilly bottle are gone! dang

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,997 ✭✭✭✭zell12

JUNE10 code at velo.ie 10% off until midnight Monday!

West cork coffee:
    20% code: REF
    .. valid until Sunday 23:59
    https://www.westcorkcoffee.ie/shop/REFISA

Super price this for the 1kg bag - €28 with the 20% off code.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Gforcemurphy

West cork coffee:

Grrrr... I’ve just committed to a 6-month sub with them, these offers are never in sync with me! Ah well, great deal nonetheless ðŸ™႒

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭mad m

West cork coffee:

REF: only giving me 10% off?

mad m wrote: »
    REF: only giving me 10% off?

They must have made a mistake - I think they changed it to 10% since!
    Also doing 10% off their new Brazilian: 10% code: CORREGO - 33 euro - 10% so 29.70 per kg

Yeah bummer, I went into chat with them to see if it was mistake their end. They never got back, then REF I see was taken down from Twitter

Tinkering with the idea of ordering this

https://www.westcorkcoffee.ie/shop/perumacerated

Anyone any experience with this bean.

mad m wrote: »
    Tinkering with the idea of ordering this

https://www.westcorkcoffee.ie/shop/perumacerated

Anyone any experience with this bean.

not this particular one, but any Peruvian I've had has been really good, so I'd definitely be interested in a natural process

• Advertisement
Advertisement