Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Coffee Bargains

11415161719

Comments



  • I never checked out so my aeropress and chilly bottle are gone! dang




  • JUNE10 code at velo.ie 10% off until midnight Monday!




  • West cork coffee:
    20% code: REF
    .. valid until Sunday 23:59
    https://www.westcorkcoffee.ie/shop/REFISA

    Super price this for the 1kg bag - €28 with the 20% off code.




  • West cork coffee:
    20% code: REF
    .. valid until Sunday 23:59
    https://www.westcorkcoffee.ie/shop/REFISA

    Super price this for the 1kg bag - €28 with the 20% off code.

    Grrrr... I’ve just committed to a 6-month sub with them, these offers are never in sync with me! Ah well, great deal nonetheless ðŸ™႒


  • Advertisement


  • West cork coffee:
    20% code: REF
    .. valid until Sunday 23:59
    https://www.westcorkcoffee.ie/shop/REFISA

    Super price this for the 1kg bag - €28 with the 20% off code.

    REF: only giving me 10% off?




  • mad m wrote: »
    REF: only giving me 10% off?

    They must have made a mistake - I think they changed it to 10% since!
    Also doing 10% off their new Brazilian: 10% code: CORREGO - 33 euro - 10% so 29.70 per kg




  • Yeah bummer, I went into chat with them to see if it was mistake their end. They never got back, then REF I see was taken down from Twitter




  • Tinkering with the idea of ordering this

    https://www.westcorkcoffee.ie/shop/perumacerated

    Anyone any experience with this bean.




  • mad m wrote: »
    Tinkering with the idea of ordering this

    https://www.westcorkcoffee.ie/shop/perumacerated

    Anyone any experience with this bean.

    not this particular one, but any Peruvian I've had has been really good, so I'd definitely be interested in a natural process


  • Advertisement


  • Velo is having a 72 hour flash sale with €100 off the Sage Barista Express - it's 549 now, don't know if that's a good price or not, not in the market myself!




  • Lol. All these 'bargains' and discounts from irish coffee sellers barely get their prices down to that in other countries. Even with 15-20% specials from Velo, WCC and the like on beans, usually still result in prices higher than what I can get the same coffe delivered for from elsewhere in Europe for.

    The Sage Barista express is €530 on Amazon.de. Down €100 to €549, how generous of them.




  • cnocbui wrote: »
    Lol. All these 'bargains' and discounts from irish coffee sellers barely get their prices down to that in other countries. Even with 15-20% specials from Velo, WCC and the like on beans, usually still result in prices higher than what I can get the same coffe delivered for from elsewhere in Europe for.

    The Sage Barista express is €530 on Amazon.de. Down €100 to €549, how generous of them.

    We all accept that the coffee industry here is highly priced, but in many places the quality is quite good.

    No doubt other places in europe have cheaper and equally good quality - but if the price gap isn't massive why not support local and hope that as the industry grows (and it seems to be exploding) competition will drive down prices. If your mass making filter coffee maybe it makes a big difference..


    For me I have cloudpicker literally a quick scoot away. I call in and they fill my bag there and then from that days roast bin. They chat to me about the coffee and provide advice. Their service and quality makes it worth it for me.




  • Velo is having a 72 hour flash sale with €100 off the Sage Barista Express - it's 549 now, don't know if that's a good price or not, not in the market myself!

    If its the black one its not much of a deal, seen it at similar price in harvey norman recently. Stainless steel one is priced higher so if its that one could be a nice saving.




  • cnocbui wrote: »
    Lol. All these 'bargains' and discounts from irish coffee sellers barely get their prices down to that in other countries. Even with 15-20% specials from Velo, WCC and the like on beans, usually still result in prices higher than what I can get the same coffe delivered for from elsewhere in Europe for.

    The Sage Barista express is €530 on Amazon.de. Down €100 to €549, how generous of them.

    What price are you getting coffee delivered from?




  • We all accept that the coffee industry here is highly priced, but in many places the quality is quite good.

    No doubt other places in europe have cheaper and equally good quality - but if the price gap isn't massive why not support local and hope that as the industry grows (and it seems to be exploding) competition will drive down prices. If your mass making filter coffee maybe it makes a big difference..


    For me I have cloudpicker literally a quick scoot away. I call in and they fill my bag there and then from that days roast bin. They chat to me about the coffee and provide advice. Their service and quality makes it worth it for me.

    That's pretty much my logic, it's a bit more expensive than German Amazon. But they're local. Eg I buy local coffee all the time and honestly, I'm more likely to buy regularly from a business if they treat their staff well. The likes of Imbibe even though they may cost more, they seem decent and I want that kind of business to thrive.




  • adrian522 wrote: »
    What price are you getting coffee delivered from?

    The last lot was 3Kg at €29 per Kg including the €5 shipping. The Velo price for tha same coffee is €36 per Kg with the free shipping for an order over €80, which this would be, so a saving of €21 on that one order. I would be saving about €85 a year assuming 1Kg per month.




  • So I pay €27 per kg for a really good espresso blend. Free shipping.

    Plenty of good value to be had from Irish roasters.




  • We all accept that the coffee industry here is highly priced, but in many places the quality is quite good.

    No doubt other places in europe have cheaper and equally good quality - but if the price gap isn't massive why not support local and hope that as the industry grows (and it seems to be exploding) competition will drive down prices. If your mass making filter coffee maybe it makes a big difference..

    For me I have cloudpicker literally a quick scoot away. I call in and they fill my bag there and then from that days roast bin. They chat to me about the coffee and provide advice. Their service and quality makes it worth it for me.

    I have Ponaire a quick scoot away. I have bought from Ponaire, WCC, Badger & Dodo, Vello, and at least two other notables whos' name escapes me at the moment. I think the general standard and taste of what I am getting from Germany/Luxembourg is higher than that i have gotten from Irish roasters in general and Adams & Russel in the UK.

    I don't see why I should reward or support the continuation of the high-cost model of Irish enterprises.

    Back in around 2002, I was looking for a Jotul wood burning stove for my house. I found one in a local shop for about €1100. I shopped around and despite having to get creative with on-shipping, I got an even better clean burning version of the same thing delivered from the UK for less than half the Irish price. If that makes me a tosser for not supporting the local retailer in the lifestyle they aspire to, then guilty as charged.




  • cnocbui wrote: »

    I don't see why I should reward or support the continuation of the high-cost model of Irish enterprises.

    .

    It costs quite a lot to run an enterprise in Ireland.


  • Advertisement


  • cnocbui wrote: »
    I have Ponaire a quick scoot away. I have bought from Ponaire, WCC, Badger & Dodo, Vello, and at least two other notables whos' name escapes me at the moment. I think the general standard and taste of what I am getting from Germany/Luxembourg is higher than that i have gotten from Irish roasters in general and Adams & Russel in the UK.

    I don't see why I should reward or support the continuation of the high-cost model of Irish enterprises.

    Back in around 2002, I was looking for a Jotul wood burning stove for my house. I found one in a local shop for about €1100. I shopped around and despite having to get creative with on-shipping, I got an even better clean burning version of the same thing delivered from the UK for less than half the Irish price. If that makes me a tosser for not supporting the local retailer in the lifestyle they aspire to, then guilty as charged.

    Oh I am all for following the bargain and agree there are times that "supporting Irish" is used to justify ripoff costs. It definitely does not make anyone anything other than conscious of their expenses.

    In fairness I have tried a good few coffee roasters (mentioned some of them there) and have had mixed feelings on many (ponaire roast month no day, velo no roast info at all, so on and so on).

    Just so happens that Cloudpicker Formation is to my taste (if you like espresso based milk drinks and enjoy the chocolate/caramel taste definitely recommend) so suits me - so maybe I am biased.

    I used Rave until brexit - found them better than anyone in Ireland I had tried at the time.
    Weepsie wrote: »
    It costs quite a lot to run an enterprise in Ireland.

    It does definitely cost a lot, that said those operating in Dublin are running the same prices as those operating in cheaper locations - now maybe I am a fool and location and labour are a tiny percentage of costs.




  • Weepsie wrote: »
    It costs quite a lot to run an enterprise in Ireland.

    I just want to buy excellent coffee at a good price, not underwrite someone elses enterprise whose costs are unreasonable due the country having an overpaid and underperforming civil/public service.




  • Well there are plenty of great Irish roasters offering great products are very good prices, I don't consider the price you quoted above to be anything out of the ordinary and is on par with what a lot of Irish roasters charge.




  • God I'm sorry I posted the Velo offer now.

    To compare pricing with amazon for an electronic good is meaningless - and personally Amazon's ethical practice are absolutely worth paying significantly extra for elsewhere imo. The Harvey Norman comparison is absolutely fair - similar cost base etc.

    Supporting Irish jobs and economic growth keeps our taxes lower so we all pay one way or the other. You are free to make your choice.




  • cnocbui wrote: »
    I . I think the general standard and taste of what I am getting from Germany/Luxembourg is higher

    .

    Can you drop some names please




  • Can you drop some names please

    https://www.mondodelcaffe.de/produkt-kategorie/kaffees/

    They have quite a selection of green beans as well as roasted. The shipping cost means that for max benefit, you need to order 250g shy of each shipping weight range due to the weight of the box.

    https://www.kaffeerösterei-hochschwarzwald.de/shop

    Located in/near the Black Forrest. They have an amazing flat rate €5 shipping fee. I last ordered 3 Kg from them.




  • West cork coffee:
    20% code: REF
    .. valid until Sunday 23:59
    https://www.westcorkcoffee.ie/shop/REFISA

    Super price this for the 1kg bag - €28 with the 20% off code.

    Just to update on this. I emailed WCC about the 20% mistake. Got an apology and a personal 20% code off any coffee.




  • Discussion over costs of doing business in different countries aside, can anyone convince me not to order the barista express from velo if I were able to get a further 5 or even 10% off it? Would bring it to circa the Amazon DE price, or under 500 respectively.... That it's the black doesn't bother me, it'll be going beside a black toaster and kettle anyway.

    I'm conscious that this saw a major price surge in the last year, so not sure it'll be gotten for much better any time soon, if ever.




  • I can't comment on the barista express (there is a separate thread maybe worth checking there) but have ordered from velo previously (coffee etc) and found the service top class so would not have any concerns on that front.


  • Advertisement


  • cnocbui wrote: »
    https://www.mondodelcaffe.de/produkt-kategorie/kaffees/

    They have quite a selection of green beans as well as roasted. The shipping cost means that for max benefit, you need to order 250g shy of each shipping weight range due to the weight of the box.
    Not any more unfortunately. Seems to be pre-roasted only. Still getting my green beans for €11-€19/kg from roastrebels.de.


Advertisement