Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult ADHD Advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Feu

Hey guys,

I was assessed for ADHD, and was found to have ADHD, predominantly inattentive type.

My psychiatrist is no longer in the country, and my GP says he is unable to prescribe the recommended medication (ritalin), as it is a controlled substance.

What options do I have?

Will I be forced to join the massive queue of individuals seeking desperately to see someone. I have dropped out of college once already, and if things continue the way they are, a second is guaranteed. I love the course I am currently doing, but just struggle with working and finishing anything, no matter how interesting the content. Is my life just going to be a constant cycles of maybes and what-ifs?

It is incredibly upsetting and frustrating as to how difficult this is.
    Hello Everyone,

Can anyone indicate a GP that repeats ADHD medication prescriptions?
    My psychiatrist is no longer prescribing it. I've been to multiple GPs and they won't even read the damn diagnostic report. I'm honestly frustrated and exhausted.

Ive sent an email to the college of psychiatry and the ADHD national Clinical programme contacts, outlining this problem. This time last year there was at least 2 psychiatrists, but now its down to zilch. (there are some but waiting list very long) Will post if i get any response!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ratsofdublin

Feu wrote: »
    Ive sent an email to the college of psychiatry and the ADHD national Clinical programme contacts, outlining this problem. This time last year there was at least 2 psychiatrists, but now its down to zilch. (there are some but waiting list very long) Will post if i get any response!

Thank you! I have been to a number of GPs since December without any success. Like the other guy I was also prescribed Ritalin and I was told a GP is legally allowed to prescribe it up to 20mg/day. Still the vast majority of them are not confortable repeting an existing prescription, even when the request is backed-up by a formal diagnostics. I can only hope things will change in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I've suspected I have undiagnosed ADHD for a loooong time. As a child I was always being told off for being a 'daydreamer' and 'away with the fairies'. It was like clockwork in my parent teacher meetings. I wasn't a 'bold' child, but I did have issues committing to things like extra curriculars- I'd start one and then get bored with it within weeks. My poor mother spent a small fortune!

I've also always been a fidgeter(worse when I am tired), as well as bad with finances and job hopping a lot in my 20s- longest stint I've been in a job is 2 and a half years and I'm 33 now.

Hi everyone

i've spent a bit of time ringing around, and here's where we're at. I've included the autism bit and where combined are available, that i know of. And waiting list, where they've told me. I've just included Dublin, as i've not had time to ring around further than that, and i know that Dublin may be a good option regardless of where you are in the country

Any Questions give me a shout

Adult ADHD Assessment:

• Seek a referral to HSE Community Adult Mental Health Team through GP [Public – wait list indefinite]

Clinical Psychology – Thorough Assessment – No medication prescribed
    • Arduna Counselling and Psychotherapy Centre (01) 833 2733 http://www.arduna.ie/adhd-assessments.html Initial €100, €895 (+ €500 if cognitive needed) [2-3 months waiting list]
    http://www.adultandchildtherapy.ie/contact-us/ ~€950 [1-2 months waiting list]
    https://www.theinsightcentre.ie/price-list/ €1000 [1-2 months waiting list]

Psychiatry – Assessment & medication can be prescribed
    • Bergin Psychological Services (psychology & Psychiatry) 01-670 5016. Wicklow Street, Dublin Two appointments ~€360 total (may be additional for BP/ECG). [1 month waiting list]
    • Dr Saleem Tareen, Belfast, 00442895 212294: £300, £300, £100 [total £700] 00442895 212294 [GP referral only] [1-2 months waiting list]
    • Dr Saleem Tareen, Belfast, 00442895 212294: Combined ADHD & Autism Assessment: £1500 [GP referral only] [1-2 months waiting list]
    • Dr Stephanie Bourke – Blackrock Clinic 2-3 appointments ~€500 [1 year waiting list]
    • Saint John of God Hospital Out Patient Services, Stillorgan, Co Dublin Tel: 01 2771400

Adult ASD Assessment:

• Seek a referral to HSE Community Adult Mental Health Team through GP [Public – wait list indefinite]

• Bergin Psychological Services (Psychology & Psychiatry) 01-670 5016. Wicklow Street, Dublin Two appointments ~€360 total [1 month waiting list]
    • Dr. Eimer Philbin Bowman: Ballsbridge, Dublin 4. T: +353 (01) 668-1108 (Mon/Tue) Diagnostic assessment for adults ONLY not previously diagnosed: [2-3 months waiting list]
    http://www.adultandchildtherapy.ie/contact-us/ Clinical Psychology ~€1500 [1-2 months waiting list]
    • Dr Saleem Tareen, Belfast, 00442895 212294: £1200 [1-2 months waiting list]
    • Dr Saleem Tareen, Belfast, 00442895 212294: Combined ADHD & Autism Assessment: £1500 [GP referral only] [1-2 months waiting list]
    • Arduna Counselling and Psychotherapy Centre (01) 833 2733 http://www.arduna.ie/adhd-assessments.html Initial €100, then €1100 [2-3 months waiting list]
    https://www.theinsightcentre.ie/price-list/ €950 [1-2 months waiting list]

Hi everyone

for ADHD assessment/meds review, Bergin (above) are currently without a psychiatrist, but one coming on line, so might be worth getting your name down with them, hoping it won't be too long a wait - less than a year hopefully. Oh cost increased since then, its €580 total for the psychologist and psychiatrist apt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭FHFM50

Just want to give a bit of advice based on my own experience in the last year.

Before spending hundreds on an assessment for ADHD, have yourself assessed for Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) first. Your GP can do this assessment.

GAD shares a lot of symptoms with ADHD, but the two are treated very differently.

ADHD in Ireland is generally treated with stimulants. However if you give a stimulant to someone with Anxiety it will send them through the roof with stress, panic and even paranoia/psychosis. ( I had to learn this the hard way)

ADHD also shares a lot of symptoms with Bipolar. Again, giving stimulants to someone like that will just make the Bipolar worse.

My doctor is still trying to find a way to help me but I just wanted to let people know as ADHD assessments are expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭alanzo27

lucalux wrote: »
    To be honest this came up for me when I was being assessed, my mother was hugely absent from my childhood because of working full time, and I was with childminders or my grandparents most of the time when I wasn't at school. Emotionally unavailable, for many reasons, and because of all of this, it meant she was massively blinkered as to the realities of what I was like in school, with peers etc.

She would have done the assessment with my psychologist at the time, and my psychologist admitted to me she was surprised at some of my mother's answers, she having known me for 4 years at that stage.
    Now some contradiction is going to happen, as we are seen differently by others, and masking our difficulties at the time, compounds that.

Assessment came back as we thought it would, only slightly lower on the scales of all traits than my psychologist and I expected, if that makes sense? I will probably look for another one down the line, to rule out some of the uncertainty. My Dad might have been a better person to do it, but he wasn't able to do it at the time.

It's a very flawed assessment in a situation like that but I don't know what the alternative is.
    Just hope you might be reassured in some way, by virtue of the fact that others have/had the same concerns going through it.
    Wait and see, and maybe come back on here if it throws you, I know the pressure that comes with waiting for these things, especially when it's a rigmarole for so many to even get to assessment stage.

best of luck with it all
    L

I have received a summary of the final report. Although I presented with some difficulties that were indicative of some mild traits of ASD, overall I did not meet the criteria for ASD or ADHD. I will be receiving the full report within three weeks. I am finding it difficult to process and I am at a loss at the moment. I had feared this outcome and apparently it appears that my profile is more consistent with GAD, which I had already been diagnosed with. I refuse to accept that as the primary cause of my difficulties.

I will need time to decide what I should do next.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭alanzo27

alanzo27 wrote: »
    I have received a summary of the final report. Although I presented with some difficulties that were indicative of some mild traits of ASD, overall I did not meet the criteria for ASD or ADHD. I will be receiving the full report within three weeks. I am finding it difficult to process and I am at a loss at the moment. I had feared this outcome and apparently it appears that my profile is more consistent with GAD, which I had already been diagnosed with. I refuse to accept that as the primary cause of my difficulties.

I will need time to decide what I should do next.

Just to reiterate that from the detailed research, quizzes and tests I have completed and the report that I compiled it strongly suggests ASD and ADHD. I still feel strongly regarding my opinion and will possibly seek a second opinion at some stage. GAD does not describe me well at all and I don't know why I am constantly pointed towards that diagnosis. Apparently my cognitive abilities are "too high" to be considered autistic. That is such a narrow minded observation. I have read some publications by Professor Michael Fitzgerald as part of my research and I resonate with many of the points he has highlighted in his work. Unfortunately he is now retired. I feel so misunderstood at the moment. I will see what the findings of the final report are when I receive it within the next three weeks.

I didn't mention in my report that I suspect my mother may also be on the spectrum or suspected ADHD as she presents with many traits. At first I began to suspect she was a vulnerable narcissist but I believe her lack of attention, impulsivity and lack of consideration towards others is not intentional. She has repetitive "rocking" motions when sitting and she has very strict daily routines that when interrupted cause her to behave irrationally. I am presenting with much detail but I want to express my thoughts so that anything I may have missed may be considered if I seek a secondary opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jennifer_Ani

Just wondering if anyone here has been assessed by Dr Saleem Tareen in Belfast and if so, what was your experience like? TIA ��

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Hi all, i have been assessed by a clinical psychologist, waiting on full report, which is hopefully in about 2 weeks, but I am told there is no psychiatrist to prescribe any possible meds, I am based in Dublin, anyone advise, could my gp use my report and prescribe. Or should I try the clinic in belfast that is mentioned on the adhd website ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JohnnyCutter

I find myself quite lost in this situation and any guidance would be highly appreciated!
    This is also my first boards post ever so apologies if im screwing this up.

When I was 14 I was diagnosed with ADHD. My school referred me to a psychiatrist who specializes in young people and adolescents. I went through all the necessary assessments and it was decided I would be medicated. This changed my life tremendously. I understand that medication is a tool and not a solution but I was finally fulfilling my entire potential. I never experienced any negative side-effects apart from tolerance build up which meant the medication no longer had an effect. This was fixed by occasionally changing medications and doses. For the next 4 years I went through a cycle of medications (Concerta, Ritalin, Tyvense) at every available dosage. I found that Tyvense 70mg worked best for me. In fact, it was the only medication that had an effect on me. All of this was done under close supervision with my private psychiatrist and was funded by my parents.

However, I am now 19, unemployed and a full-time first year college student. I have not seen my psychiatrist in over a year. I have also not taken any medication in over a year. This is because of my parents no longer agreeing to fund the costs of :

1.) My private psychiatrist. It cost roughly €150- €200 to see my psychiatrist each time I needed a new prescription.

2.) The medication. It cost €90 each month for my medication.

I also have suspicions that they no longer fund these things because I got made it through secondary school with good grades and into college. They refuse to acknowledge that my ADHD exists outside of
    secondary school. I got high marks in what was the "leaving cert" (class of 2020) and secured a place in college. They got their moneys worth.

For the last ~12 months, I have lived life through a noisy haze. I would describe it as someone with visual impairment trying to live day-to-day without glasses. I have been really struggling especially when it comes to college. This has prompted intense feelings of anxiety, panic and occasional breakdowns. I am registered with my college's Disability support service, and whilst I appreciate their support, there's only so much they can do. The route which feels most comfortable for me is getting back on medication. I absolutely cannot afford the costs of going back to my private psychiatrist and I do not qualify for a Medical Card or any schemes. The most suitable way would be through my GP. I have insurance which covers GP visits. It would cost me roughly €30 to see my GP as opposed to the €150- €200 to see my psychiatrist. In regards to funds for medication, I am looking into the Student Disability fund offered by my college. I have full confidence they will be willing to cover monthly medication costs, but I have no expectations for them to cover the cost of a private psychiatrist.

Would it be possible for my psychiatrist to write a letter of referral to my GP? Do I have to visit my private psychiatrist and fork out the €150- €200 which I do not have? Would it be possible for my GP to prescribe the medication my psychiatrist prescribed, which worked best for me? It took me 4 entire years to find the medication and dosage which suited me best and I really cant go through that process again. I have contacted the hospital where my psychiatrist operates from, and have requested every piece of data and information they hold on record about me under article 15 of the GDPR.

Apologies if this is long winded, I feel really cornered in this situation. Any guidance, advice or sharing of similar experiences would be highly appreciated! Thank you!

• Advertisement

Hi, I am only starting the process here at 45, I will be looking for a prescription, and a psychiatrist to help, do you need to see them every month, or a couple of times a year, sorry i cant help you on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JohnnyCutter

Hi, I am only starting the process here at 45, I will be looking for a prescription, and a psychiatrist to help, do you need to see them every month, or a couple of times a year, sorry i cant help you on this one.

In my experience, I firstly went to a private psychiatrist who assessed and diagnosed me. It was then decided to put me on medication. If my medication didn’t work or was not suitable, I had to go back to my psychiatrist. It took me 4 years of visiting my psychiatrist and cycling through medications to find the most suitable one. When you find your most suitable medication I believe that you must visit your psychiatrist or whoever writes the script to renew your prescription every 6 months (this has since been extended 9 months due to the pandemic). Best of luck!

I find myself quite lost in this situation and any guidance would be highly appreciated!
    This is also my first boards post ever so apologies if im screwing this up.

When I was 14 I was diagnosed with ADHD. My school referred me to a psychiatrist who specializes in young people and adolescents. I went through all the necessary assessments and it was decided I would be medicated. This changed my life tremendously. I understand that medication is a tool and not a solution but I was finally fulfilling my entire potential. I never experienced any negative side-effects apart from tolerance build up which meant the medication no longer had an effect. This was fixed by occasionally changing medications and doses. For the next 4 years I went through a cycle of medications (Concerta, Ritalin, Tyvense) at every available dosage. I found that Tyvense 70mg worked best for me. In fact, it was the only medication that had an effect on me. All of this was done under close supervision with my private psychiatrist and was funded by my parents.

However, I am now 19, unemployed and a full-time first year college student. I have not seen my psychiatrist in over a year. I have also not taken any medication in over a year. This is because of my parents no longer agreeing to fund the costs of :

1.) My private psychiatrist. It cost roughly €150- €200 to see my psychiatrist each time I needed a new prescription.

2.) The medication. It cost €90 each month for my medication.

I also have suspicions that they no longer fund these things because I got made it through secondary school with good grades and into college. They refuse to acknowledge that my ADHD exists outside of
    secondary school. I got high marks in what was the "leaving cert" (class of 2020) and secured a place in college. They got their moneys worth.

For the last ~12 months, I have lived life through a noisy haze. I would describe it as someone with visual impairment trying to live day-to-day without glasses. I have been really struggling especially when it comes to college. This has prompted intense feelings of anxiety, panic and occasional breakdowns. I am registered with my college's Disability support service, and whilst I appreciate their support, there's only so much they can do. The route which feels most comfortable for me is getting back on medication. I absolutely cannot afford the costs of going back to my private psychiatrist and I do not qualify for a Medical Card or any schemes. The most suitable way would be through my GP. I have insurance which covers GP visits. It would cost me roughly €30 to see my GP as opposed to the €150- €200 to see my psychiatrist. In regards to funds for medication, I am looking into the Student Disability fund offered by my college. I have full confidence they will be willing to cover monthly medication costs, but I have no expectations for them to cover the cost of a private psychiatrist.

Would it be possible for my psychiatrist to write a letter of referral to my GP? Do I have to visit my private psychiatrist and fork out the €150- €200 which I do not have? Would it be possible for my GP to prescribe the medication my psychiatrist prescribed, which worked best for me? It took me 4 entire years to find the medication and dosage which suited me best and I really cant go through that process again. I have contacted the hospital where my psychiatrist operates from, and have requested every piece of data and information they hold on record about me under article 15 of the GDPR.

Apologies if this is long winded, I feel really cornered in this situation. Any guidance, advice or sharing of similar experiences would be highly appreciated! Thank you!

I just saw this post Johnny. Sorry to hear you are in this situation. Are you in the republic of Ireland? Was your medication covered under the https://www2.hse.ie/services/drugs-payment-scheme/drugs-payment-scheme-card.html Many households would meet the threshold of €114 per month fairly handily?

If you need to return to your psychiatrist, your college's student "hardship" fund could be used to fund this. In cases like yours, they may even waive family income, due to the nature of the situation you are in. Talk to whoever is in charge of the this fund in your college.

The disability services to my knowledge (in the republic) cannot pay for anyone's medication, but again, the hardship fund could be used to pay for this.

Also, check if there is an OT in your college disability service, who can help support you in maintaining routine, and lifestyle changes apart from medication

In theory, a GP can "continue" the repeat prescription on controlled drugs once the original prescription was by a psychiatrist, but in practice it depends on the GP. It may benefit you to contact several GPs in your area to briefly outline your situation, and see if they will take the job on.

Best of luck with it!

Hi all, I have been prescribed tyvense, starting next week, any comments or experiences ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Hi all, I have been prescribed tyvense, starting next week, any comments or experiences ?

Is this your first ADHD medication? From what I've read they usually start with Ritalin in Ireland.

Seanachai wrote: »
    Is this your first ADHD medication? From what I've read they usually start with Ritalin in Ireland.
    Yes first time, see how it goes.

three days in on Tyvense, all good so far.

Hi everyone

just been made aware of a new service Dr Alan Murtagh. He leads the ADHD clinic in St John of Gods private hospital, and has now set up a private practice - needs to be GP referral. Will do new assessment but also a good option for those who might have a diagnosis from a psychologist, and need to see psychiatrist to start meds
    https://dralanmurtagh.com/contact-us/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭LadySkunk

Hi everyone

just been made aware of a new service Dr Alan Murtagh. He leads the ADHD clinic in St John of Gods private hospital, and has now set up a private practice - needs to be GP referral. Will do new assessment but also a good option for those who might have a diagnosis from a psychologist, and need to see psychiatrist to start meds
    https://dralanmurtagh.com/contact-us/

Hi Feu, lurker of this thread can I ask do you know how much he costs? I’ve been having trouble getting a psychiatrists appointment both publicly and privately and am currently being assessed for suspected ADHD.

I’ll be in with my GP soon so getting a referral to Dr Murtagh would be great I just have no idea how much private costs and have been trying to find out how much I will need for so long with no luck.

LadySkunk wrote: »
    Hi Feu, lurker of this thread can I ask do you know how much he costs? I’ve been having trouble getting a psychiatrists appointment both publicly and privately and am currently being assessed for suspected ADHD.

I’ll be in with my GP soon so getting a referral to Dr Murtagh would be great I just have no idea how much private costs and have been trying to find out how much I will need for so long with no luck.

Hi sorry should have put it in there, it's €650. Which is actually in the lower end of the cost scale for this. And he really knows his stuff. Best part, should be very little waiting list

• Advertisement

Hi sorry should have put it in there, it's €650. Which is actually in the lower end of the cost scale for this. And he really knows his stuff. Best part, should be very little waiting list

Thank you very much. I’ve booked in with my GP for next week and will ask for a referral. This thread has been a real life saver quite literally.

I was losing all hope waiting to be seen after ending up in A&E in December and still searching for answers as to what was wrong with me. It was because of the information you posted I found a place that did psychological screening which I jumped on as I had suspicions of BPD, Bipolar 2 and only recently the possibility of ADHD but I so never really understood it. Now every bit of information I devour I feel like so much is starting to make sense.

I’m working with someone now who for the first time in my life I feel truly understands what I’m saying and for the first time in forever I feel like I have hope which is a bit unbelievable. I’ve a long way to go but just thank you so much from the bottom of my heart :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭JackTC

LadySkunk wrote: »

I was losing all hope waiting to be seen after ending up in A&E in December and still searching for answers as to what was wrong with me. It was because of the information you posted I found a place that did psychological screening which I jumped on as I had suspicions of BPD, Bipolar 2 and only recently the possibility of ADHD but I so never really understood it. Now every bit of information I devour I feel like so much is starting to make sense.

Those 3 conditions overlap so much, I'm in a similar boat myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Coralcoras

Looking for information. Other than medications and lifestyle changes to behaviour such as exercise and eating and sleeping well, what therapies are out there in Ireland to compliment the above?

Also is there any one thing that is a true game changer for you?

Coralcoras wrote: »
    Looking for information. Other than medications and lifestyle changes to behaviour such as exercise and eating and sleeping well, what therapies are out there in Ireland to compliment the above?

I'll just reply to the first part :)

I think the best therapy for ADHDers is:
    1. The person actually understands ADHD/neurodivergence, and doesn't just say they do.
    2. Some people find an ADHD Coach good, but qualifications differ. Investigate.
    3. A strengths based approach from a counsellor/coach that has ADHD, as https://www.thrivingautistic.ie/ are offering. (i have no affiliation to them! But i can understand completely wanting support from someone who really gets it) (despite the name, they support anyone who is autistic/ADHD/dyspraxic/dyslexic etc).

4. I am biased, and think Occupational Therapy is a super support for supporting someone to make those lifestyle changes you mention, but also taking a holistic approach to looking in detail at what you want to change/improve and making a plan to help do that.

5. With the lockdowns and that, there is a lot more access to webinars/conferences/talks that you might find helpful, so do look around, AND possibly a therapist that might be say based in UK, who you could now see remotely.

I got my referral sent to Dr. Murtagh last week and got an appointment for early September sent out today.

It’s a video assessment, I think all appointments might be like that as it has on the letter that it’s tele-psychiatry assessments so might be worth giving them a ring to double check in case that doesn’t work for you.

I’ll have to figure something out myself as I’ve no quiet space with privacy at home so a bit of a nightmare but it’s an appointment all the same and heard back very quickly which is great. My GP spoke very highly of him too so will be worth making it work

Best of luck, one month into meds now, aged 45 male, very good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fastminds

Coralcoras wrote: »

ADHD specific life coaching is a game changer. Heather Blackmore is the best out there in my opinion, she changed my life - so much so I have trained to be one myself. Couldn't recommend her enough. From personal experience on both sides of the fence, I think it's critically important that the person you're working with either has ADHD themselves, or at the very least, a child with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,872 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Anyone have any experience using these guys service ??

https://cork-counselling-and-psychology.com/

Looking to get an autism assessment, had one booked before covid with Lighthouse in Dunmore but can't get back in contact with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭JackTC

Assessment tomorrow afternoon - will give an update on how it goes.

• Advertisement

JackTC wrote: »
    Assessment tomorrow afternoon - will give an update on how it goes.

I hope it goes well, I am recent, and now medicated, not a magic bullet, but it all helps.

Advertisement