Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Open 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Augme wrote: »
    So Osaka has taken the decision herself to withdraw from the french open. Fair play to her.

Pulled out before she was knocked out. Wonder will she go to Wimbledon and pull the same stunt?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Augme

Floppybits wrote: »
    Pulled out before she was knocked out. Wonder will she go to Wimbledon and pull the same stunt?

Do you think everyonw barring Nadal in the men's draw should pull out before being knocked out?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So Osaka has taken the decision herself to withdraw from the french open. Fair play to her.

She put herself in the position to have to pull out of the tournament nobody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well the all England club should say that any player who won’t have interviews should not bother turning up and do it now. I mean fair enough these post match interviews do at times seem boring and repetitive but it’s part of the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Do you think everyonw barring Nadal in the men's draw should pull out before being knocked out?

Are you Hector in disguise? She brought this on herself simple as that and it blew up in her face. If I was one of her sponsors I would be looking for my money back.

You don't see anyone else behaving like this?

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well the all England club should say that any player who won’t have interviews should not bother turning up and do it now. I mean fair enough these post match interviews do at times seem boring and repetitive but it’s part of the deal.

I wouldn't be surprised if part of that deal starts to change now though.

Are you Hector in disguise? She brought this on herself simple as that and it blew up in her face. If I was one of her sponsors I would be looking for my money back.

You don't see anyone else behaving like this?

It was more a case that your first point was fairly stupid tbh. Didn't really make any sense so I was wondering if you'd clarify it. You've decided not to so fair enough, we will move on.

I'd say she would be more than happy to give them their money back if they asked. I doubt they will though. Probably why you aren't one of her sponsors or in a position to make that decision either. In fact, I would say her sponsor night be more keen to come out in support of her now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I wouldn't be surprised if part of that deal starts to change now though.

It'll need more than Osaka to storm off in a huff for that to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

The sponsors and tournaments will not want to be seen to be negatively impacting the mental health of a young mixed race woman, like it or not that's how this will be portrayed in the media if they decide to pull support from her or ban her from tournaments. Personally I think she should be pulled up on her behaviour, but, that's not the world we leave in any more. She'll get off with a slap on the wrist

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

I couldn't quite figure out how someone can handle playing matches on the biggest stages (where every shot could be a mistake), but not interviews (where many questions can be batted away with stock answers, once you learn the art*). I'm afraid she's messed this up from beginning to end, and backed herself into a corner, which she could take a long time to extricate herself from. Rather than trying to deflect attention from her issues, she's now brought them right out into the open. Everybody knows about them, she knows that everybody knows. Not a nice position to be in. If she'd just done the interviews and kept her counsel, she would have been under way less pressure and scrutiny than she is now.

*Just about any inter-county GAA player could give lessons on how to answer a question by saying absolutely nothing in the least bit enlightening. Mind you, the questions are usually so banal that they deserve such non-answers.

"Pressure is a privilege" - Billy Jean-King

Meanwhile, Kenin-Ostapenko was predictably unpredictable, with both trying to out-C'MON each other. Ostapenko couldn't hold serve in the final set, not for the first time, and probably not the last.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    It'll need more than Osaka to storm off in a huff for that to work.

Don't bank on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Why is it part of the deal? They do it to generate useless stories. Write about the match. If something is repetitive and boring get rid of it unless it provides some benefit. Keeping something in for the sake of it was always there is pointless.

She doesn't need tennis media to reach her fans. Heck if she makes an Instagram post it will get reported by them anyway without an interview.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Christy42 wrote: »
    Why is it part of the deal? They do it to generate useless stories. Write about the match. If something is repetitive and boring get rid of it unless it provides some benefit. Keeping something in for the sake of it was always there is pointless.

She doesn't need tennis media to reach her fans. Heck if she makes an Instagram post it will get reported by them anyway without an interview.

Because interviews often get snippets on the news with the tournament name and sponsors in the background. They aren't for her, they are for the tournament which is paying the prize money.

I have sympathy for her point of view but I'm not sure what the right answer is.

Good on her.

She should pull out of Wimbledon too.

Organisers won't like missing out on those Japanese viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Society continues to judge introverted athletes negatively, especially in the media ! This thread is good evidence of that. Look at any her interviews. She is pretty awkward, uncomfortable. I can understand her point of view. Admirable statement today and it would not have been easy to be so open about her emotions throughout this. Admitting you are socially anxious is pretty daunting I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Fair play to her. The joint statement issued by the slams is insane really when you step back and ask when did the media become this idol that every athlete must bow down before and "fufill their obligations" to? Osaka is not the problem, she's doing the right thing, standing up to an organisation trying to force her into doing their bidding. More athletes need to take a stand and end this nonsense of painfully boring post match interviews that reveal exactly nothing

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Because interviews often get snippets on the news with the tournament name and sponsors in the background. They aren't for her, they are for the tournament which is paying the prize money.

I have sympathy for her point of view but I'm not sure what the right answer is.

They more frequently get big named stars hitting shots which said tournament has just lost one of. The tournament and sponsors really get very little time in those snippets as well.

santana75 wrote: »
    Fair play to her. The joint statement issued by the slams is insane really when you step back and ask when did the media become this idol that every athlete must bow down before and "fufill their obligations" to? Osaka is not the problem, she's doing the right thing, standing up to an organisation trying to force her into doing their bidding. More athletes need to take a stand and end this nonsense of painfully boring post match interviews that reveal exactly nothing

Its not for the media. Its for the media and the sponsors and the TV companies and the tournament. It's not the media fining her, it was the tournament - no doubt partly because they themselves were not fulfilling their own contractual obligations to the TV and sponsors.

Whether or not you are interested in the interviews they generate massive media traction. They is undoubtedly steps that can be taken to make the situation better for athletes but simply stopping the interviews is not an inconsequential decision.

They more frequently get big named stars hitting shots which said tournament has just lost one of. The tournament and sponsors really get very little time in those snippets as well.

They are all over the backboards of the interviews...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭ForestFire

santana75 wrote: »

She have benefited to the tune of 19.7m USD, for this seemingly "Forced Labour"

Forced labour is children making clothes in sweat shops or digging diamonds out of mines deep underground.

She is living a privileged life of wealth, and can retire now if she feels the pressure of this profession is too much for her.

No one is forcing her to do anything...she is free to decide to be part of the game or not....

How much is the prize money for Roland (Hint, she had already earned almost more than me, and most others, in a year for her fist game only)? Interviews are part of her job description, just like customer meetings are part of my job description...

How hard is it to do an interview and say, didn't play great today, the better player won on this occasion, but hope to be back stronger for the next tournament??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Wait, so an athlete can't be arsed to take a couple of questions after a loss despite contractual obligations from he tournament that's already given her millions, and we're supposed to support this? In today's generation snowflake era all she has to do is say some trendy stance like mental health and we must all be on the boat to support her or be cancelled. She's a disgrace. I'm so sick of players like her and Serena thinking they're bigger than the game. Tennis is better off without people dictating change just because it doesn't suit them personally.

Doubt this'll be the last we hear of it. Surprised people haven't brought up the race card yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭DonegalBay

Whilst I feel a little sympathetic towards Osaka, I also think media is part of her profession. I am sure everyone has parts of their job they hate, still have to do it or find another job. Can anyone think of a Sports star who refused to talk to the media at all? I cannot.

She needs to look at options, surely she can get media training or a press officer to sit in on interviews with her(if allowed). Not tennis, but 5 time Tour de France Winner Miguel Indurain was famous for his boring interviews and he always had a PR person by his side. He was a very quiet, reserved person who avoided the media as much as he could. Retired to anonymity, though does show up at odd event in Spain. Still did media.

Also for someone who suffers such anxiety, what must have that whole Serena incident in 2018 have done to Osaka. Imagine suffering anxiety and being booed by the crowd, I would imagine much worse than facing media.

They are all over the backboards of the interviews...

I meant the snippets are quite short.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭ForestFire

The other thing I would add...

Has there been one interview with her, that the media have not treated her with respect, and acknowledged, in their actions during interviews, that she is a naturally shy/introvert/anxious person?

Have any of the media, over pressured her into difficult questions in the past?

She has many couches for her technical training, and possible sports psychology also, surely some couches in Public speaking, and confidence, she could hire as part of her team.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Nice to see Federer win his first round relatively comfortably :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

ForestFire wrote: »
    The other thing I would add...

Has there been one interview with her, that the media have not treated her with respect, and acknowledged, in their actions during interviews, that she is a naturally shy/introvert/anxious person?

Have any of the media, over pressured her into difficult questions in the past?

She has said in her statement today that her dig wasnt at the journalists who are lovely people. It was all about her own anxiety

I meant the snippets are quite short.

Sure, but they are on the sports news which people may look at who don't watch the matches.

I'm not arguing whether they are getting value for their money. But the all these events are put into the contractual obligations and are part of the whole package. I don't doubt that they can be improved (maybe give them more time before the interviews etc) but they are, quite literally, part of the job.

I think threatening to kick her out was way overboard. But I have no problem with a fine, which is basically a forfeiture of part of the winnings.

Sure, but they are on the sports news which people may look at who don't watch the matches.

I'm not arguing whether they are getting value for their money. But the all these events are put into the contractual obligations and are part of the whole package. I don't doubt that they can be improved (maybe give them more time before the interviews etc) but they are, quite literally, part of the job.

Right but why not see if you are getting value for money? Especially if you have just lost a big draw (especially from the valuable Asian market) to keep something which might not have even been worthwhile in the first place? I am pretty sure she isn't the first to have voiced issues with the interviews but most of the rest just got on with it which is not a great characteristic in my mind if you feel something isn't working.

I am sure it was a bigger deal when this was how people consumed sports media but I reckon those views are way down with the advent of social media.

I thought she would look to others who have had issues (the ones that dealt with it well, some NFL players have turned to weed to deal with the anxiety). She could show up and stick in headphones and go to sleep for a few minutes. Have a single stock answer (Only here so I don't get fined, on to cincinnatti.) Especially if she feels her natural anxiousness could hurt her in terms of sponsors if she comes across badly.

People who watch the news but don't watch tennis matches but will for some reason not look at their phone for a 5 second interview were looking adds nothing to their experience and they care little for the athlete involved seems like a convoluted group. Ensure sponsors get in highlights. I don't care for football but will tend to pay more attention to "Wigan won after this screamer" as opposed to "This is what the Wigan manager said about the win". I suspect the same is for tennis, people may not follow it but can appreciate a brilliant shot or a bad miss that was crucial to a game.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

A lot to unpack in that Naomi statement. I feel great sympathy for her having to deal with depression. I'm sure there are ways in which the press conferences could be improved and more beneficial to players, fans and indeed the media themselves.

Naomi is the sole architect of what transpired this week though. Whatever she was trying to achieve, she literally couldn't have gone about it in a worse way. Either she's received terrible, terrible advice or she simply went on a solo run. I expect we won't see her until the US hard courts.

• Advertisement

It's funny that alot of people's attitude is "she should just do it anyway and not really say anything at them". Basically sums up how much a joke those interviews are. It would be much easier to just give one word answers and force herself into doing them, but why?

Rather than encouraging someone to do the bare minimum that's required you should be asking why you are forcing that person into doing that activity in the first place.

Advertisement