Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beauty Issues during Covid 19 - Megathread - Hair, nails, brows etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭appledrop

Well ladies, delighted to have gotten the hair done after work, however with this current weather I feel like the girl in ad who steps out of salon and her hair is wrecked!!!

Ah well still delighted to have it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

My hairdresser called this morning and scheduled an appointment for me for 2 weeks time - delighted! :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Got my brows done yesterday and my highlights and cut just now, I’m only bleedin massive!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I have just discovered a new place close to me with tonnes of appointments available all next week, delighted! Will probably end up getting a haircut on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I’m actually booked in for highlights again in three weeks. Im like Jesus six weeks between appointments seems awfully short when you’re now used to going nearly six months!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Recliner

I’m actually booked in for highlights again in three weeks. Im like Jesus six weeks between appointments seems awfully short when you’re now used to going nearly six months!

I booked in again for 6 weeks after my first appointment, but it seems way too long.
    Half thinking of ringing next week and changing it to 4 weeks.
    And I got my done last week for the first time since last September.
    I'm literally afraid of letting my roots get too long in case of another shut down.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

My hairdresser recommended 8 weeks and just a quarter head (which is basically like a half head in any other salon, based on how many foils were put in for the full head!). I went with 7 weeks and a half head. I wanted 6 weeks tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭All that fandango

Gah, I left it too late to call my hairdresser, and now I'm on a waiting list for an appointment... :(

I wanted to wait for other customers to have their appointments scheduled for colour, etc. before booking myself in as I felt getting colour re-done will be everyone's main priority

I don't dye my hair, but I'm in bad need of a haircut. I haven't had a haircut since Feb of last year. :o
    My hair is gone so long now it's down to the small of my back (...on a side note, that is such a weird phrase to describe the lower back :pac: )

I don't know whether to try for another salon... or wait out to see if I get a call back....

Im the exact same. The hairdresser I want is fully booked until end of June. Not sure what to do, wait until theres a cancellation or shop around. The weird thing about my hair is that it doesnt really grow down long, it grows out the way. Needs to be hacked into like a bush with those special teeth scissors. No use having someone just cutting 2 or 3 inches off the ends, it'll make damn all difference and my hair will be just as thick and heavy to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Im the exact same. The hairdresser I want is fully booked until end of June. Not sure what to do, wait until theres a cancellation or shop around. The weird thing about my hair is that it doesnt really grow down long, it grows out the way. Needs to be hacked into like a bush with those special teeth scissors. No use having someone just cutting 2 or 3 inches off the ends, it'll make damn all difference and my hair will be just as thick and heavy to deal with.

Has she added you to the cancellation list? We are finding in work we have lots of movement with appointments. People are usually so happy to book that they book a few appointments and then realize they have a clash so need to cancel. Worth being added. We have managed to accommodate almost all our waiting list clients.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

I don't have a regular hairdresser, I usually get my hair cut once or twice a year and do my colour myself. Just wondering is anyone in the same boat and does anyone have an idea on how long I could be waiting for an appointment. I am in North County Dublin. I want a complete colour change (husband says it's a midlife crisis!) so am eager to get it done.

Ultimate hair and beauty in the GPO arcade in the city centre are good for colour. I don't think it's too difficult to get appointments there if you are flexible with regard to times. They're not too dear either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Getting my hair done next Saturday :D Not with my original hairdresser,, with a new lady who was lovely when I was speaking to her. Can’t wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,246 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Got the hair done on Friday and ladies the prices went up, I get an All over colour, cut and blow dry and It was usually €86 then after first lockdown it went upto €96 and I paid €126 on Friday, Now I was delighted to get it done but the prices are crazy, I didn’t even get a treatment, I dread to think the price if I did.

Still waiting to get my nails done

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

That’s nuts.
    I have yet to get my hair done, but I’d faint if she charged me more than €100.
    Beautician was the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,246 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

It is nuts, a lady beside me got a full head of highlights and paid €150, I’m still in shock, I may start looking for another hair dresser, I don’t think PM charge that much :D

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

My hairdresser has not put the prices up at all. Now they used to run special offers on certain days which are no longer happening but I think that is fair enough as the offers were to get a crowd in,can't have that with covid. 85 for colour and cut.

jrosen wrote: »
    Has she added you to the cancellation list? We are finding in work we have lots of movement with appointments. People are usually so happy to book that they book a few appointments and then realize they have a clash so need to cancel. Worth being added. We have managed to accommodate almost all our waiting list clients.

Yeah, meant to say that I was put on their cancellation list. But not sure if I can hold out that long. Might just shop around and please god I get lucky and discover someone who knows what to do with my hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭LilacNails

If anyone is suffering with brittle dry nails, for the last 2 mnts I have been applying hand cream(lidi) 4/5 times a day, esp after washing my hands. My nails haven't looked as good or healthy in a few years. And theres growth!

Also yesterday I got the Cocochco 12 week blow dry. Has anyone else got this done?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I have an undercut (a very cool one, see attached) which I get done in the barbers.

I was at the hairdressers yesterday getting my cut and colour done, I went to pay and he was only charging me €60.00. I was like, "Umm that's less than I was expecting?" He goes, "Well I can hardly justify charging you full price when half your hair is shaved off!"

I dunno why but I just find that hilarious!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

I have an undercut (a very cool one, see attached) which I get done in the barbers.

I was at the hairdressers yesterday getting my cut and colour done, I went to pay and he was only charging me €60.00. I was like, "Umm that's less than I was expecting?" He goes, "Well I can hardly justify charging you full price when half your hair is shaved off!"

I dunno why but I just find that hilarious!! :D
    Love your hair!! And what a pleasant surprise for you on the price. So nice to hear stories like this when others are ripping people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

LilacNails wrote: »
    If anyone is suffering with brittle dry nails, for the last 2 mnts I have been applying hand cream(lidi) 4/5 times a day, esp after washing my hands. My nails haven't looked as good or healthy in a few years. And theres growth!

Also yesterday I got the Cocochco 12 week blow dry. Has anyone else got this done?
    Not this brand but two diff ones. I can't remember the name. The first one was rubbish ...my hair looked awful ..static and strange.

I tried a diff brand some months after ...it looked good for the first few weeks but not enough of a difference tbh and it didn't last long.

But my hair is relatively straight.

I haven't gotten one in like 2 years. I put my hair through a lot so i didn't want to do anything else. When its grown out a bit i might try again. I wouldn't get them too often though. I think they can be harsh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Not this brand but two diff ones. I can't remember the name. The first one was rubbish ...my hair looked awful ..static and strange.

I tried a diff brand some months after ...it looked good for the first few weeks but not enough of a difference tbh and it didn't last long.

But my hair is relatively straight.

I haven't gotten one in like 2 years. I put my hair through a lot so i didn't want to do anything else. When its grown out a bit i might try again. I wouldn't get them too often though. I think they can be harsh.

Was it a DIY job u did? My hairdesser done it for me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

My hair cost me an absolute fortune yesterday but damn it looks great :pac: The colour is perfect, the cut I'll have to see how it washes myself. I got some GHD curls put in so it looks lovely but I'm a diffuser/airdry kind of person usually so hoping the curls fall ok. It was my first time with this girl for cutting.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

IT'S HAPPENED. THE HAIR HAS BEEN DONE. :D:D

Actual picture of me right now:

NUwIENHl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

LilacNails wrote: »
    Was it a DIY job u did? My hairdesser done it for me.
    Nope a hairdresser did it both times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Got my hair done yesterday, cut and colour. I got about 2 inches cut off. It badly needed it. My hair feels so good this morning held its curl, so soft and no frizz. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

After recommendations for fine weak limp shredding hair after having Covid19?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I had so much regrowth of my natural hair during lockdown that I’m still dissatisfied with how my roots look, even after getting them done. To be fair, the foils were PACKED in and left for ages, but it was like getting my hair highlighted for the first time. I know it’s going to take a while to get my colour back to where I want it, but it’s still frustrating to take such a big step back. When I tie my hair up, it doesn’t even look that obvious that I’ve had my colour done :(. Going again in 5 week, I think, so hopefully I’ll be happier after the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Faith wrote: »
    I had so much regrowth of my natural hair during lockdown that I’m still dissatisfied with how my roots look, even after getting them done. To be fair, the foils were PACKED in and left for ages, but it was like getting my hair highlighted for the first time. I know it’s going to take a while to get my colour back to where I want it, but it’s still frustrating to take such a big step back. When I tie my hair up, it doesn’t even look that obvious that I’ve had my colour done :(. Going again in 5 week, I think, so hopefully I’ll be happier after the next time.

I had the same problem the last lockdown and it was all rectified by the second session. I was actually disappointed when it was blow dried because it wasn’t what I imagined but she told me it was basically starting from scratch on the top part of my head. This time around it’s better but I can definitely see bits that look a bit iffy and need another going over. It was always going to be hard to match up the dark root with what is basically grown out block colour blonde so it doesn’t blend perfectly now but I know when I go in in a few weeks it will look much more seamless.

My hair feels so good this morning held its curl, so soft and no frizz. :D

Definitely the best part of getting a good chop! I have to wait until the end of the month before I get seen to. Hopefully it's the sign of a good hairdresser..

• Advertisement

Only one more week until I finally get my hair seen to since reopening. Its a new (to me) salon in a new town. I went in for a consultation today and paid down my deposit of 50 euro. I'm getting balayage and a few highlights, root colour, toner and wash and cut. The total is 170 (120 balance left to pay). Just wondering is this the standard price across most hairdressers for this service? Its not Dublin btw, its west of Ireland. Im used to paying 35-45 euro for a wash cut and blow dry. I dont mind paying a bit more for a good job done but I'll be honest I was a bit shocked at the price.

Advertisement