Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beauty Issues during Covid 19 - Megathread - Hair, nails, brows etc

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Anyone have any experience of clip in ponytails and the like? My hair is just about long enough to get into a top knot but it's also really thin and fine. I'd love to add a bit of volume when it's up in a removable way - might distract from the roots!! If you can recommend one, please let me know (I have creamy, ashy highlighted hair).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Looking like May for the re-opening of hairdressers and beauty salons. Fingers crossed things stay on track. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

tenor.gif

I can live with it being May. Sure what’s one more month of looking like you’ve been dragged through a bush!
    I just hope it’s not pushed out to June.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I’d scheduled hair apts for the rest of the year when I was in at Christmas. My next apt is the 08th may

They are going to announce they can open on the 10th may arnt they!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Rfrip - absolutely, Murphy's law!!

I've had to reschedule yet another laser appointment with Urbana - had my last in early September, just wanted ONE more before moving onto maintenance stage, because at that stage it had already been 6 months since the previous appt. I've had appts in October, January, March and now April all cancelled. I'm moving away from Dublin end of May so I've booked an appt for the week before - what do you bet they'll reopen the first week of June when I'll be living in Galway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Trimmed the ends of my hair last night. The tiniest bit either side and the worry and pressure of messing it up!! It’s not as easy as I’d imagined. It looks grand, you wouldn’t know it was done as it was a just bare trim but it feels great to me with some of the split ends gone. I know I’m going to feel a billion dollars when i get it done properly in the hairdressers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Trimmed the ends of my hair last night. The tiniest bit either side and the worry and pressure of messing it up!! It’s not as easy as I’d imagined. It looks grand, you wouldn’t know it was done as it was a just bare trim but it feels great to me with some of the split ends gone. I know I’m going to feel a billion dollars when i get it done properly in the hairdressers!!

I cut my hair too, did the bobbin on top of the head method, it's fine for the messy hair look, don't know if I want to straighten and see how uneven it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dogmum89

I put my hair in two pigtails and gave it a little chop last month. It did not turn out well, certainly wont be trying that again. Also tried plucking my own eyebrows, for some silly reason I plucked the front part of one brow to try make it look like the other one, they looked like sisters before, now they dont even look like cousins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

GingerLily wrote: »
    I cut my hair too, did the bobbin on top of the head method, it's fine for the messy hair look, don't know if I want to straighten and see how uneven it is :)

Ugh so tempting ... what's that method, literally just put it up and chop it?

I straightened my hair today for the first time in ages, couldn't believe how long and healthy it looks! But it's still a pain in the arse most of the time. Just don't like it past shoulder-length.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Ugh so tempting ... what's that method, literally just put it up and chop it?

I straightened my hair today for the first time in ages, couldn't believe how long and healthy it looks! But it's still a pain in the arse most of the time. Just don't like it past shoulder-length.

Pretty much, here's an inspiration video, but if your hair is looking well still then it might be a gamble.

https://youtu.be/mIhMYgLtzOA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭rocky1813

I had started cutting my hair about a month ago because it was annoying me so much. My hair was quite short already but I made a mess of it. Found a mobile barber on Facebook who came to the house to do a cut. I’ve never had a my hair so short but at least I’ll get a couple of months out of it now.

tenor.gif?itemid=10397134

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

I'm booked in for my hair ladies, oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah!

Fair play to hairdressers ringing all the regulars first!

Booked in for week 17th May.

appledrop wrote: »
    I'm booked in for my hair ladies, oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah!

Fair play to hairdressers ringing all the regulars first!

Booked in for week 17th May.

I’m booked in for the 11th! Fully expected to be seen later but was offered that and grabbed it. I really feel a lift now it feels great

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I was booked in yesterday for the 17th but it will be moved to the 10th

Happy days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

I was offered early date but couldn't make it as working full time and can't take time off.

At this stage what's another week after 6 mths!

I’ve stopped even seeing my hair as a feature these last few months. It’s just been put straight up into a bun or a plait. I’m excited for all the swooshing!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

My salon is opening bookings tomorrow, they didn't want to take the chance of rumours being wrong.

Torn about my hairdresser because she comes to me. Won't put any pressure on her. Did box dye 10 days ago so not in a mad rush for colour

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

appledrop wrote: »
    I was offered early date but couldn't make it as working full time and can't take time off.

At this stage what's another week after 6 mths!

I told my manager last week that I didn't give a shyte what it would conflict with, and if I told him I'd a hairdresser's appointment he could forget anything else

He laughed

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I start a new job on 10th May so can't be taking time off for a haircut :( I'm really liking my hair now it's longer. I'm afraid they will take all the length off because of the condition it's in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I got my eyebrows booked in, I'm so excited! Will look around for hair, my usual place has shut down so I'm looking for somewhere new. I've no "regular customer" benefits so may wait my turn!

Mani and pedi booked for mid June, not in any rush but happy to have it in!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

I am so torn now as to whether to re do my colour or keep it natural now... I had balayage done before first lockdown just cause I was a bit sick of the bright all over blonde and it was a dream through all this as it just grew out naturally without harsh bad roots. Now all blonde is gone except for the ends which will be chopped when I get to the salon.

I am feeling like the natural is very boring now especially as its been paired with no styling for so long, but the fear is in me that if I go full blonde again and they close again..... !!!

Saved an absolute fortune with no upkeep though! Decisions decisions!!

cee_jay wrote: »
    I start a new job on 10th May so can't be taking time off for a haircut :( I'm really liking my hair now it's longer. I'm afraid they will take all the length off because of the condition it's in.

Congrats on the new job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Recliner

Appointment for hair next week. Hasn't been done since last September.
    I'm giddy!!!

Now I have entered the stress period of wondering if the hairdressers will contact me. I had my first appointment with them booked for early January, and they have totally ignored all attempts I've made to contact them to find out if they'll rebook me or if I need to rebook myself. I'm afraid because I haven't actually been to them that I'll get missed off lists!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

neonsofa wrote: »
    I am so torn now as to whether to re do my colour or keep it natural now... I had balayage done before first lockdown just cause I was a bit sick of the bright all over blonde and it was a dream through all this as it just grew out naturally without harsh bad roots. Now all blonde is gone except for the ends which will be chopped when I get to the salon.

I am feeling like the natural is very boring now especially as its been paired with no styling for so long, but the fear is in me that if I go full blonde again and they close again..... !!!

Saved an absolute fortune with no upkeep though! Decisions decisions!!

This is also my dilemma! I am very dark naturally - dark dark brown, so I had balayage - but not an awful lot of balayage. The cut will get rid of anything that is left. I had pink over the blonde for some of last year, but the pink just never lasted. So do I just stay natural now (apart from my roots which needs greys covered)? Or do I do something wild and different?

cee_jay wrote: »
    This is also my dilemma! I am very dark naturally - dark dark brown, so I had balayage - but not an awful lot of balayage. The cut will get rid of anything that is left. I had pink over the blonde for some of last year, but the pink just never lasted. So do I just stay natural now (apart from my roots which needs greys covered)? Or do I do something wild and different?

I love that about blonde, that it can be changed to other colours (even if it doesn't last long!) It's versatile, and it is fun! I have such fear that they'll close again, I am not taking them for granted lol, so I won't be going full head of highlights any time soon, as much as I want to be bright blonde again :pac:

Dark hair is gorgeous though and I'd say it is so healthy after no colour!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Just got a call from the girl who does my eye brows to book me in 😊 delighted!

Not sure if my hair dressers are still open, really hope they are! I had balayage done last time and will again because If they have to close again I can just top up the roots myself like I have the past six months and if looks ok.

Okay, I'm crippled by indecision, can someone decide for me what to do?

Salon A: City centre, high end, very expensive. Appointment booked for early Jan. They never ever made contact me regarding it being cancelled or anything else. I tried contacting them by DM and email to inquire about rebooking once restrictions lifted (i.e. do I contact them or do they contact me) - they totally ignored me and never replied. I've paid them a e50 deposit.

Salon B: Middle of nowhere but very good reputation. Offered me an appointment at short notice pre-Christmas but I couldn't make the only time they had available. They're taking calls for booking in appointments today.

Do I wait and see if Salon A get on to me, or do I just ahead and book with Salon B?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

I'd book with salon B and whenever they're all open again would be calling into salon A for deposit refund.

Advertisement