Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your job & salary

Options

Comments

What are you on about.
    1. There is no site manager in this thread on 100k+
    2. Most site managers in this country need to be engineers. You know the guys who make sure stuff doesn't fall down. A quarter the knowledge of a doctor?
    3. Believe it or not engineers studied hard too.
    5. If there is a site manager on 100k+ they are guaranteed to be managing a project on 70 or 80 million and above.... A wrong decision could cost their boss millions. A right one earns their boss millions. They've probably earned their boss millions over 20 years

Okay Wolowitz!

Sorry, I agree with you. Couldn't help myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,301 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It's a thing I love about working in austria. Job ads by law have to have the minimum salary for that position. It really helps filter out crap or stuff that I know is farrrr above me.

The dreaded 5 words in any job interview/ application form ‘What is your salary expectation?’

In a job seekers market, for an experienced worker in an ‘in demand’ sector it’s not so bad, you can name your price, but for most others and at most points in the economic cycle, where you apply for lots of jobs and don’t even get a phone interview, being asked to negotiate your salary before being offered the job is ridiculously unfair

Akrasia wrote: »
    ... being asked to negotiate your salary before being offered the job is ridiculously unfair

Think about it. 'We'd like to offer you the job. How much do we need to pay you?'

It's a tough question, but if you have previous experience in a previous role and know the job spec you should have a good idea. It'll likely be more than you're currently on.

Just because it's a tough question, and you'd ultimately like to maximise the most they WOULD possibly pay you, it's nowhere near unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I honestly hate the coyness about salary (and I have to admit I haven't posted my own salary in this thread because it's almost conditioned not to talk about it). I think the more information you have as a jobseeker/employee the better off you are.

In terms of companies not telling salaries, I've gone through an entire very long interview process without knowing what the salary would be. It was a job I wanted and I asked the recruiter who gave a very vague answer. I didn't get the position in the end but could have been in a situation where I put in a whole lot of time, effort and stress for a role that I would decline, because they wouldn't tell me what the pay is. It can end up a waste of mine and their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

What an utterly bizarre post, honestly it just sounds like straight up jealousy. Imagine actually wanting to supress wages in an timeline where MNCs make billions of clear profit every single quarter. They should be paying people more not less.

As for your site manager comment - you've obviously never been near a site in your life.

It's called being a responsible adult. Looking at the facts and identifying risks and weaknesses and asking some hard questions. I guess that's why I am a manager and you are not. I'd love to pay myself €1m a year but don't because of the knock on repercussions that would lead to.

Why do you think these companies are making billions? Hint, it's because they always look at the bottom line and if employee salaries damage that, they'll take steps to protect it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭onrail

salonfire wrote: »
    Some of the salaries mentioned here are shocking, why are we paying ourselves so much? It can't be sustainable and will cause MNCs to look elsewhere. India is improving all the time in Software and will do your job for a fraction of your salary. Their infrastructure is 1st class in the dedicated cities built for IT companies.

Why would people study their a*se off to become doctors when glorified builders ("site managers") earn 100k+ without a quarter of the knowledge required of a doctor.

It causing everything to become far too expensive - look at housing.

Ireland is not a rich country, we should be paying ourselves far less and praying MNCs will continue to operate here with competitiveness our main selling point.

These salaries don't even cover the cost of Employer PRSI + other employee costs.

What could possibly go wrong?

Not belittling the skills and experience of a doctor, this is complete nonsense.

1. It's a general trend in construction that the greater the educational level, the less you're paid. (Not belittling trades, theyre simply worth more on site)

2. Try manage a construction site sometime. If you think you've seen stress, you havent even scratched the surface

It's called being a responsible adult. Looking at the facts and identifying risks and weaknesses and asking some hard questions. I guess that's why I am a manager and you are not. I'd love to pay myself €1m a year but don't because of the knock on repercussions that would lead to.

Why do you think these companies are making billions? Hint, it's because they always look at the bottom line and if employee salaries damage that, they'll take steps to protect it.

Well you don't actually have any idea what I am or am not, but I feel sorry for any of your employees and I hope they find themselves new jobs ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TheUnderfaker

IT project manager. 56k

IT project manager. 56k

OMG go in on Monday and beg for a paycut

(don't do that just read the posts above this if it isn't clear)

Think about it. 'We'd like to offer you the job. How much do we need to pay you?'

It's a tough question, but if you have previous experience in a previous role and know the job spec you should have a good idea. It'll likely be more than you're currently on.

Just because it's a tough question, and you'd ultimately like to maximise the most they WOULD possibly pay you, it's nowhere near unfair.

It’s extremely unfair because you’re negotiating blind while still competing with an unknown number of other candidates that the you have no visibility over. In an auction, you can see other bids, in a tender, you get to provide detailed coatings and breakdowns of your value proposition, but in an interview/application form, you get very limited time and space and it’s a very lobsided process.

They know exactly how much they are prepared to pay, and if there are 2 candidates who are roughly the same but one of them sets their salary expectation at the exact amount the employer is expecting to pay, but the other offers to work for 10k a year less. It puts the person who undervalued their experience at an advantage in the selection process but a disadvantage in their career and income progression

The minimum salary should always be advertised to allow inexperienced workers to sell themselves at a lower rate while experienced candidates can offer themselves at a premium

There is a reason why employers rarely advertise the salary except for minimum wage jobs, and that’s because not advertising the salary gives the employer a big advantage when negotiating the salary

In any negotiation the first mover has an inherent disadvantage as they set either the floor (buyer) or Ceiling(seller) in all future negotiations
    If the floor is way too low the other party walks away, if it’s close or even way better than the other party expected, the 2nd mover can still haggle that price to their own advantagw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,251 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There is a way more to take home pay than salary. As well a lot of people are on variable salary's. What you earn may be only a part of your real wealth.

I took a redundancy deal just before I was 57. I intend to start drawing down my pension at or around 60. I invested in a farm and have two rental properties. In real terms I earned about 35-40k last year tax returns are showing an income of 20k.

It what you do with it that matters.

Slava Ukrainii

If I am asked in an interview what my salary expectation is, I always try to get them to tell me what their budget is first and then negotiate based off that, on the application form, not answering it would disqualify most candidates from the screening process so it’s an unfair disadvantage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

You're a mad badger.

"That's why I'm a manager and you're not."
    Allowed up late in Friday as there's no school in the morning?

You picked a strange example in a site manager to compare with doctors. In that most site managers work for indigenous companies, not multinationals,. These companies can't relocate cus well they are building here??

Why would people study their a*se off to become doctors when glorified builders ("site managers") earn 100k+ without a quarter of the knowledge required of a doctor.

Because they're looking for something even more glorified to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Full time CO in the Civil Service.
    Two years service.
    Take home pay €391.00 per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

billyhead wrote: »
    It just goes to show a lot of people would be better of doing an apprenticeship or trade than going to 3rd level.

Thought I'd come back to this train.

What people forget about trades earnin big money is that they need to "make hay".

Unfortunately building in this country is incredibly cyclical due to madly disfunctional property market.

Trades have long memories and many of them had no income here from 2008 to 2012.

Then they have to deal with this maddening ****e where people simply don't pay them despite the labour and materials they have supplied. They get fobbed off for months and sometimes thx pricks that didn't pay ho under and they get nada.

On top of this you have main contractors who refuse to pay the full amount knowing you need them more than they need you. And God forbid you have a few claims!! There are fellas in high places in this country who take a sick pleasure in doing damage to subbies.

Also in areas like groundworks the main contractors make huge effort to put all risk with the subbies.

All in all it's an area that I could have gone into many times but frankly lack the courage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

One thing is for sure ...

Some people get very annoyed at the thought that others earn more money then them.

Being a manager does not make you a better person than the employees you manage. It’s that kind of ****e that ruins businesses. Being a manager requires a specific set of skills, but a good manager enables skilled workers to use their time and skills efficiently , it’s the workers who actually generate the wealth

A well run organization needs both skilled workers and good managers but this heirarchical org structure can be a huge drag on efficiency

If I have an excellent software developer on my team he is way better off leading projects than leading teams or heading departments, but on an org chart, a project lead is way below a department lead..

Being a software developer does not make you a good manager, and being a manager means you have way less time to do the software development you’re good at and actually enjoy doing

mloc123 wrote: »
    One thing is for sure ...

Some people get very annoyed at the thought that others earn more money then them.

https://youtu.be/U8Kum8OUTuk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Senior mechanical R&D engineer with an MNC in medical devices. €70k salary + 12.5% bonus. 9 years experience with a post graduate qualification. Jobs market in my field is very competitive at the moment and my employer has wised up. Been a good few promotions of late internally due to people leaving for more money. Have benefited by staying put which is rarely the case. You can often climb up the salary scale faster by moving every 2-3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭VG31

Ireland is not a rich country, we should be paying ourselves far less and praying MNCs will continue to operate here with competitiveness our main selling point.

Is this a joke? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

Cross country boxing coach - €25k pa.

construction management, 65k, long hours, relentless stress, not even close worth it but the bills just keep coming and need to be paid. I'll be dead from stress by 40 if i keep at this crap

I feel your pain, working construction 7-6 on average Monday to Friday with 45 min commute both ways, so I'm gone after 6 in the morning and home for 7 usually.

Was up to midnight last night and currently processing data for monthly valuation due in for Monday, which will eat into tomorrow and Sunday as well. I love my job, but with young kids I'm thinking of changing. It's not worth it. I was like a bear coming home this evening. It's not fair on my kids coming home in bad humour.

I met a former colleague today and he commented that I'd lost weight and looked beat.

A topic for another thread maybe but construction, the expectations and the hours along with it need to change. Any wonder it's hard to find staff.

I feel your pain, working construction 7-6 on average Monday to Friday with 45 min commute both ways, so I'm gone after 6 in the morning and home for 7 usually.

Was up to midnight last night and currently processing data for monthly valuation due in for Monday, which will eat into tomorrow and Sunday as well. I love my job, but with young kids I'm thinking of changing. It's not worth it. I was like a bear coming home this evening. It's not fair on my kids coming home in bad humour.

I met a former colleague today and he commented that I'd lost weight and looked beat.

A topic for another thread maybe but construction, the expectations and the hours along with it need to change. Any wonder it's hard to find staff.

The first job I had out of college was working on a multiple hundred million euro infrastructure project. Did it for about a year and GTF out of there. It does bad things to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MooShop

mloc123 wrote: »
    Graduate developers are starting on ~55k in my current company... base salary. They then get stock and bonus on top of that.

Would they be hiring by any chance?!! :)

Akrasia wrote: »
    It’s extremely unfair because you’re negotiating blind while still competing with an unknown number of other candidates that the you have no visibility over. In an auction, you can see other bids, in a tender, you get to provide detailed coatings and breakdowns of your value proposition, but in an interview/application form, you get very limited time and space and it’s a very lobsided process.

They know exactly how much they are prepared to pay, and if there are 2 candidates who are roughly the same but one of them sets their salary expectation at the exact amount the employer is expecting to pay, but the other offers to work for 10k a year less. It puts the person who undervalued their experience at an advantage in the selection process but a disadvantage in their career and income progression

The minimum salary should always be advertised to allow inexperienced workers to sell themselves at a lower rate while experienced candidates can offer themselves at a premium

There is a reason why employers rarely advertise the salary except for minimum wage jobs, and that’s because not advertising the salary gives the employer a big advantage when negotiating the salary

In any negotiation the first mover has an inherent disadvantage as they set either the floor (buyer) or Ceiling(seller) in all future negotiations
    If the floor is way too low the other party walks away, if it’s close or even way better than the other party expected, the 2nd mover can still haggle that price to their own advantagw

You're arguing the power should switch from the employer to the potential employees. That only makes sense from an employee POV. The employer offers a role, and nobody is forced to apply.

Forget about the disadvantaged employee - AN employee will get it at a salary they are happy with. So, the employer and an employee are happy. What can be wrong with that?

IF an employee asks for what they genuinely believe they are worth and don't get the job because another qualified candidate offered lower that's tough, but not unfair.

And in negotiation theory those that make the first offer have the advantage, if memory serves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I started this thread.

I am a doctor working in HSE, and I earn less than €80k, and I work about 60 hours a week :):D

I am happy to see software engineers are earning very well.

Thanks everyone :)
    onrail wrote: »
    Not belittling the skills and experience of a doctor, this is complete nonsense.

1. It's a general trend in construction that the greater the educational level, the less you're paid. (Not belittling trades, theyre simply worth more on site)

2. Try manage a construction site sometime. If you think you've seen stress, you havent even scratched the surface

I started this thread.

I am a doctor working in HSE, and I earn less than €80k, and I work about 60 hours a week :):D

I am happy to see software engineers are earning very well.

Thanks everyone :)

Why quote my post?

I started this thread.

You must be an intern or an SHO? Being a junior NCHD is fairly thankless but at least it's brief.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Do you have any automation or programming you can use to help process the data for you? I find some people loose hours manually copying and pasting or hunting through a mess of files hunting information for eom.

Something like python if you had programming basics can speed up things maybe.

• Advertisement

I can't find them at the minute, but there are a a fair few threads on the quagmire that is construction as a graduate. Many more than you looking out, very few able to find the way though!

Advertisement