Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your job & salary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Green Mile

Construction- €70k plus vehicle and fuel provided. BIK is a pain though!

Go fully electric. Zero BIK and your employer will save on the Employer PRSI which is a saving of 11.05%. Win win

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Alkers

Construction
    Different roles depending on the project
    90k inc car allowance, plus profit share, few bits and bobs like fuel card, toll tag etc.

Honestly I'd make more on the building/construction side but it's not worth it to me.
    I get no calls after 5 and I've only worked 2 Saturdays in the last 12 months.

Love the variety of my role. We provide several services and I'm in the middle of most of them.
    Also I'm on a building site 4 or 5 days a week and having done the office thing a few times there's no comparison.
    I've flexibility, open air and a sense of purpose/achievement that i never got in an office despite leading successful projects.

Roles.....
    Construction management
    Quality Lead
    Constructability lead / design Review
    We also consult to some larger entities on the construction phase

Do a bit internally on our processes and resourcing.

That sounds great, what's your background and level of experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Alkers

Engineering Consultancy - 8 years post-grad experience - 60k + benefits

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CaboRoig

I've a few jobs - none of them pay much but enough to keep the wolf from the door. I'm a part time gardener (lawns, hedges, spraying etc - I'm no Monty Don). Then I do a bit of writing for the local newspapers (sports reporting, mainly GAA). And I might do a bit of weekend taxi work as it arises.

It's been quiet for the last year I'm afraid. Not much sport to write about and little enough need for taxis!

ebayissues wrote: »
    I was speaking to a friend yesterday who's on 75K working in risk in finance. He wants to work in a tech company has their package for a junior to senior are over 100k. His gf who works for the tech guys, is on 100+, excluding stock options

Relatives if mine, oone in software for a hedge fund is on 180k with less than 45hrs a week. Another in Finance on 80k, and youngest sibling 40k in a data analystggig but she's so clud intthats sshe'll gget tto the topffast .

I used to think that 80/100k was good, yea goodbbut could be better.

All comes at a sacrifice,friends,family stress. Enjoyllife bbe happy, iit's mmore than money canbbuy .

Yes there are people earning crazy money. Keep onhhaving eeyes cclosed aand ears shut and you won'tgget aanywhere .

Checktthe CCSO, yyou ccan gget abbreakdown of average wages by occupation

Swiftkey, Android, Firefox combination above?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Alkers wrote: »
    That sounds great, what's your background and level of experience?

And @phildenny

I'm a chartered civil/structural engineer.
    About 20 years experience.

Background in construction site management and project management.

Site manager for construction and building companies.
    Project manager for building companies and client side state/semi-state.

Oh and my job doesn't really have a title.
    We change it depending on the roles we win.
    Something nice and vague like "Structural Lead"

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭costacorta

corcaigh1 wrote: »
    80K?? Seriously? What kind of prices are you getting to make that coin, very hard to clear that money as a self employed wet tradesman. Plumber or Sparks might make it...

I’ve been at this game with over 35 yrs ups and downs and nowadays I’ve a crew of 4 plasterers and if I can’t make that kind of money working 5 and a half days a week I might as well jack it in ..

Don’t think I’ll make it this year as I said even though I’ve plenty work lined up for rest of year .

Talking of trades there will be plenty work in coming years for all building trades especially in cork with docks expansion coming up .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Some of the salaries mentioned here are shocking, why are we paying ourselves so much? It can't be sustainable and will cause MNCs to look elsewhere. India is improving all the time in Software and will do your job for a fraction of your salary. Their infrastructure is 1st class in the dedicated cities built for IT companies.

Why would people study their a*se off to become doctors when glorified builders ("site managers") earn 100k+ without a quarter of the knowledge required of a doctor.

It causing everything to become far too expensive - look at housing.

Ireland is not a rich country, we should be paying ourselves far less and praying MNCs will continue to operate here with competitiveness our main selling point.

These salaries don't even cover the cost of Employer PRSI + other employee costs.

What could possibly go wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

salonfire wrote: »
    Some of the salaries mentioned here are shocking, why are we paying ourselves so much? It can't be sustainable and will cause MNCs to look elsewhere. India is improving all the time in Software and will do your job for a fraction of your salary. Their infrastructure is 1st class in the dedicated cities built for IT companies.

India is great on paper... But from my own experience the overall quality is not good and even then, software engineers in India are paid about 50% of Dublin prices... Not cents like people think.

MNCs generally need a European base... And Dublin makes a good European base.

If you earn over 70k you're in the top 10% of earners believe it or not.

Still doesn't get me into a top 10% gaff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

MNCs have salary ranges for each job grade, I’m currently 94% of the max for my grade. It doesn’t matter if I or my replacement is in Ireland, Italy, Greece, the Middle East etc because the salary range is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,147 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

If you earn over 70k you're in the top 10% of earners believe it or not.

Still doesn't get me into a top 10% gaff!

Eurostat SES 2018

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php?title=Earnings_statistics#Distribution_of_earnings

90th percentile = 6,430 per month = 77,160 pa.

Table_2_Gross_hourly_earnings_dispersion_ratios%2C_2018.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

Why would people study their a*se off to become doctors when glorified builders ("site managers") earn 100k+ without a quarter of the knowledge required of a doctor.

Ireland is not a rich country, we should be paying ourselves far less and praying MNCs will continue to operate here with competitiveness our main selling point.

These salaries don't even cover the cost of Employer PRSI + other employee costs.

Is this satire?

You really think people should bid their own salaries down to stay competitive?

Are you aware that when MNCs threaten to jump ship its a negotiating tactic?

I'm beginning to think this whole forum is some sort of practical joke. No one who isn't themselves a CEO should be looking for wages to be slashed. How do so many people have Thatchernomics on the brain, I think someone must be tampering with the water supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

growleaves wrote: »
    Is this satire?

I'm beginning to think this whole forum is some sort of practical joke. No one who isn't themselves a CEO should be looking for wages to be slashed. How do so many people have Thatchernomics on the brain, I think someone must be tampering with the water supply.

We should just be happy to get paid at all.... Don't want to upset the companies that are making millions/billions a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,648 ✭✭✭billyhead

It just goes to show a lot of people would be better of doing an apprenticeship or trade than going to 3rd level.

You think wages are responsible for asset inflation. Ok now I know you're a spoofer.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wilmol

You're below average if you're on less than 100k on boards so here is mine:
    Software engineer with 6 months experience just got promoted to mid level and a salary bump from 80k to 150k per year. Next year hope to reach 300k.

People won't no, so the Government should be preemptive for once and force salaries down, deal with labour shortages by importing temporary labour from abroad to drive down salaries.

Why do they leave then? Why would they continue to pay salaries here if someone else can do the job cheaper?

When you price products or tradesmen, do you pay the higher price when you can get the exact same for a lower price? Like hell you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Politician.

Cant keep up with all the pay raises and expenses but Tis fine and big.

Work in the office about 3 hours a week. Spend about 10 submitting expenses and have a secretary answering all the stupid emails I get.

Finished Netflix last week and scrolled to the end of tiktok as well.

mloc123 wrote: »
    We should just be happy to get paid at all.... Don't want to upset the companies that are making millions/billions a year.

Exactly. Ireland would be lost without those companies and if they did leave en-masse, we have little natural resources to fall back on. Except tourism, farming and the like.

You'd be glad to be paid at all if that was the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭costacorta

billyhead wrote: »
    It just goes to show a lot of people would be better of doing an apprenticeship or trade than going to 3rd level.

Ah but how many of these guys are prepared to get wet and dirty doing a days work .

I tell you one thing bring all those office workers with me for one full week and they be damn glad to get back to their cushy warm office jobs .

Also wouldn’t need to be going to the gym after a days work either ..

People won't no, so the Government should be preemptive for once and force salaries down, deal with labour shortages by importing temporary labour from abroad to drive down salaries.

They're not a colonial government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

costacorta wrote: »
    Ah but how many of these guys are prepared to get wet and dirty doing a days work .

I tell you one thing bring all those office workers with me for one full week and they be damn glad to get back to their cushy warm office jobs.

You’ve obviously never had back to back calls all day with no time to take a piss. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,596 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Surely the great free market capitalist system is capable of sorting this out for itself, supply and demand, freedom of movement and all that?

Just a tad classist, no? It's OK for the nice doctors to be earning €100k, but we wouldn't want any of those uncouth lads in hard hats to be earning that kind of money for, for example, managing a site of 500 people and a €20 million budget with about a billion moving parts or anything like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,596 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Smee_Again wrote: »
    You’ve obviously never had back to back calls all day with no time to take a piss. ;)

Just claim these on expenses and you'll be grand.

When you price products or tradesmen, do you pay the higher price when you can get the exact same for a lower price? Like hell you do.

Right and when a tradesman offers to build you an extension for €3,000 per sqm do you panic and promise to give him €5,000 per sqm?

You argue your own side of a negotiation. You don't squeeze yourself because you're afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I do stuff, I get paid, no one is knocking on the door about anything unpaid, it's dull but grand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

I have retired from being the driver of the "Midnight Express" Cannabis Smokers bus from Manchester to Amsterdam via London.

When I was driving I would get £49 per passenger on a 49 seater bus but I had to hire the bus and pay the ferry out of that, so about £1800 profit for a weekend's work including a free hotel room and all I could smoke from the Bulldog Coffeeshop in Amsterdam in return for dropping the passengers off outside their door.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

What are you on about.
    1. There is no site manager in this thread on 100k+
    2. Most site managers in this country need to be engineers. You know the guys who make sure stuff doesn't fall down. A quarter the knowledge of a doctor?
    3. Believe it or not engineers studied hard too.
    5. If there is a site manager on 100k+ they are guaranteed to be managing a project on 70 or 80 million and above.... A wrong decision could cost their boss millions. A right one earns their boss millions. They've probably earned their boss millions over 20 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

What an utterly bizarre post, honestly it just sounds like straight up jealousy. Imagine actually wanting to supress wages in an timeline where MNCs make billions of clear profit every single quarter. They should be paying people more not less.

As for your site manager comment - you've obviously never been near a site in your life.

Advertisement