Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gardaí swoop halting site in north Dublin READ NOTE IN OP

• 28-05-2021 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

A dozen Gardaí swoop a halting site in Clarehall with little or no prior warning according to a local resident of the site. A building was knocked and cars were removed from the premises.

There were a number of Garda vans too.

Why was several Garda vans and 12 Gardaí deployed? Is that amount of force necessary to combat ordinary civillians?

Either way, it's great to see the Gardaí tackle organised crime and what is presumably theft of cars or car components.
    I wonder is the €ash 4 Cars (sic) linked to this?

Apologies for the link to the rag.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/clarehall-halting-site-jcb-tow-20621988

Mod

Lads, i will forum ban anyone who engages in broad generalisations and traveller bashing in this thread. By all means discuss the incident, but you have been warned.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,099 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Why was several Garda vans and 12 Gardaí deployed?

Because only a really stupid garda would go in there on their own.
    Is that amount of force necessary to combat ordinary civillians?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Why was several Garda vans and 12 Gardaí deployed? Is that amount of force necessary to combat ordinary civillians?

You can't be serious ?? In which case using your vast experience in policing , how many gardai should they gave sent to safely deal with the situation ...

On a separate note, they could have been selling them junk buckets to young lads for a couple of hundred euro , they'd be then joyrided for a few days , which has the potential to end in tragedy as it did a year or two ago .

• Site Banned Posts: 339 ✭✭guy2231

Fair play to the guards on this one, they're usaully too scared to go near any halting sites it's about time they start raiding more of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

A dozen Gardaí swoop a halting site in Clarehall with little or no prior warning according to a local resident of the site. A building was knocked and cars were removed from the premises.

There were a number of Garda vans too.

Either way, it's great to see the Gardaí tackle organised crime and what is presumably theft of cars or car components.
    I wonder is the €ash 4 Cars (sic) linked to this?

Apologies for the link to the rag.

I'm confused, you start by saying they're "ordinary citizens" then you welcome the crack down on "organised crime"..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

That bit, and this bit....

Doesnotcompute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭elperello

AGS obviously acting on intelligence.

Number of Garda deployed is an operational decision.

A good days work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

But they're not ordinary citizens, they're an ethnic minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

[DublinLive] GARDA HALTING SITE SWOOP SCENES FROM HELL IN DUBLIN TODAY EXPECTED[/DublinLive]
    Nothing happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,760 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The OP is critical of the number of Gardai, perhaps they can inform us as to what qualifies them to be critical of decisions made by law enforcement experts as they carry out their duties ? And what number of Gardai was appropriate, given also we don’t know how many people were there and the threat that would have existed ?

They used the term, ordinary ‘civilians’ ..

They are not...

They are organized criminals with connections to drug dealing and violence and as such an organized and well numbered response would be appropriate to ensure the safety of each Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Just up the road from me. I used to go to the same gym as one of the residents there, scary f*cker, ended up riddled full of bullets and found frozen in a ditch. Full of wronguns that site. Will the media ever admit that they're just one big crime family that hold their women as prisoners. I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Just up the road from me. I used to go to the same gym as one of the residents there, scary f*cker, ended up riddled full of bullets and found frozen in a ditch. Full of wronguns that site. Will the media ever admit that they're just one big crime family that hold their women as prisoners. I doubt it.

Trained in the same gym. I remember he got shot going in the door of the gym one day. But was he not from the halting site further up the road towards the m1/m50 roundabout. This is the smaller site there at clarehall shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Floppybits wrote: »
    Trained in the same gym. I remember he got shot going in the door of the gym one day. But was he not from the halting site further up the road towards the m1/m50 roundabout. This is the smaller site there at clarehall shopping centre.

Ah I thought he was from that one. Yeah he used to wear a bullet proof vest coming out of gym. He was involved in a horrible crime where he beat some man half to death in a pub so I had no sympathy for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Don't most travellers hold their women as prisoners? I shudder to think what teenage girls go through on a halting site.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Lads, i will forum ban anyone who engages in broad generalisations and traveller bashing in this thread. By all means discuss the incident, but you have been warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

This may surprise the OP but the Gardai aren't there to give whoever they are arresting 'a fair fight'.

Go in with overwhelming force of numbers and you are less likely to face violent resistence.

I'd have no problem with 100 Gardai going in to arrest one person if it meant that all the Gardai got to go home uninjured at the end of their shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,333 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Policing body combats crime, not surprising.

That the criminals in this instance are part of an ethnic minority is of no significance, they are being arrested for being criminals not for being travellers.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Only a day after the Guards visited the Dunsink site (yet again!) over it being used as an illegal dumping facility.

People pay these folks to remove their household goods and are told they'll be recycled but in reality they're just dumped on council land.

As for the Clarehall site, you can see on satellite View on Google maps the shear level of waste and abandoned cars on the site. A different world.

More great work by AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

BattleCorp wrote: »
    This may surprise the OP but the Gardai aren't there to give whoever they are arresting 'a fair fight'.

Go in with overwhelming force of numbers and you are less likely to face violent resistence.

I'd have no problem with 100 Gardai going in to arrest one person if it meant that all the Gardai got to go home uninjured at the end of their shift.

Not very sporting though is it ? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,709 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Only a day after the Guards visited the Dunsink site (yet again!) over it being used as an illegal dumping facility.

People pay these folks to remove their household goods and are told they'll be recycled but in reality they're just dumped on council land.

As for the Clarehall site, you can see on satellite View on Google maps the shear level of waste and abandoned cars on the site. A different world.

Maybe if these people weren't so fcukin tight and disposed of their rubbish responsibly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Maybe if these people weren't so fcukin tight and disposed of their rubbish responsibly?

It's an offence under The Litter Act to engage someone who is not a registered contractor under the Act to dispose of your rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭Northernlily

More of this please Guards. Great to see and restores my faith somewhat in the force.

elperello wrote: »
    It's an offence under The Litter Act to engage someone who is not a registered contractor under the Act to dispose of your rubbish.

And it's an even bigger crime to operate a waste collection service without being licenced to do so and it's also illegal to dump it on Council land.

Whatever way you view it, if there is a pile of sh1te dumped on a halting site, it's the travellers who are to blame for it.

Exactly, people who employ these 'waste collectors' are well aware that the rubbish is being dumped, they dont care because it is cheap.

Whatever way you view it, if there is a pile of sh1te dumped on a halting site, it's the travellers who are to blame for it.

This tired old trope.

This tired old trope.

It's not a tired, old trope. It's a fact. Who else is dumping the rubbish on halting sites?

Yeah, there's the joke that it's settled people, Amish etc. but the fact is that if sh1t is dumped on the halting site, it's the travellers who are doing the dumping.

Or feel free to correct me if you think it's any different.

It's not a tired, old trope. It's a fact. Who else is dumping the rubbish on halting sites?

Yeah, there's the joke that it's settled people, Amish etc. but the fact is that if sh1t is dumped on the halting site, it's the travellers who are doing the dumping.

Or feel free to correct me if you think it's any different.

Do you really expect me to believe people would dump other peoples rubbish, on their own property?
    Not buying it. Its settled people dumping their rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Do you really expect me to believe people would dump other peoples rubbish, on their own property?

Yeah because that's what settled people do, dump their rubbish on the property of people with a culture of fist fighting and are known for taking weapons to funerals and weddings. What could possibly go wrong?

And where do the travellers dispose of their rubbish? They don't use waste collection services and certainly aren't known for using the local waste and recycling plants. They also don't leave sites they visit in pristine condition.

It's almost as if the most blatant and obvious answer is the correct answer. But no, it's someone else's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,333 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Prove it then.

Should we conclude that settled people are dumping rubbish in every halting site in Ireland then?

Quite a grand conspiracy, not even travellers are claiming it.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

An awful lot of dehumanizing of travelers going on on here. The Gardai should have no issue with calling to a traveler household to make enquirers.There is not a big track record of Gardai being attacked while entering these areas and they tend to visit them very regularly

All criminal activity should be investigated by the Gardai regardless of who is responsible, as part of normal policing operations. If armed criminals are involved then the ARU should be involved, if it’s organized crime the cAB should get involved

The criminals should prosecuted for their crimes whether or not they’re travellers

Advertisement