Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President condemns brutal old IRA execution of elderly woman

• 28-05-2021 11:47am
    Site Banned Posts: 339 ✭✭

President Michael D Higgins has said the shooting of an elderly woman during the War of Independence by the IRA was an act of “exceptional cruelty”.
    Mary Lindsay (60) and her chauffeur James Clarke (50) were executed by the IRA in March 1921 and buried in an unmarked grave. Their bodies were never recovered.
    Mrs Lindsay’s crime in the eyes of the local IRA was informing on a planned IRA ambush at Godfrey’s Cross, between the villages of Coachford and Drips.

When is Leo Varadkar going to stand up in the Dail and publicly condemn the IRA? We have brushed this thuggery and brutality under the carpet for long enough now.

We have had enough glorification of these sectarian butchers and child murderers it's about time Varadkar stood up in the Dail and publicly condemned the IRA.

Fianna Fail and Fine Gael have blood on their hands, the blood of innocent children, old women and countless innocent protestant civilians.

People have this romantic fanciful view of the Old IRA because all their bad deeds have been swept under the carpet and no one ever hears about them.

The old IRA only managed to kill 250 British soldiers during the war of independence of 1919-1921, the Provisional IRA managed to kill more than that amount just in 6 counties of Ireland from 72-74, the old IRA were not these marvel superheroes that could do no wrong like FF\FG would have you believe.

Link to story: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/president-condemns-ira-war-of-independence-execution-1.4577356?mode=amp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

guy2231 wrote: »
    President Michael D Higgins has said the shooting of an elderly woman during the War of Independence by the IRA was an act of “exceptional cruelty”.
    Mary Lindsay (60) and her chauffeur James Clarke (50) were executed by the IRA in March 1921 and buried in an unmarked grave. Their bodies were never recovered.
    Mrs Lindsay’s crime in the eyes of the local IRA was informing on a planned IRA ambush at Godfrey’s Cross, between the villages of Coachford and Drips.

When is Leo Varadkar going to stand up in the Dail and publicly condemn the IRA? We have brushed this thuggery and brutality under the carpet for long enough now.

We have had enough glorification of these sectarian butchers and child murderers it's about time Varadkar stood up in the Dail and publicly condemned the IRA.

Fianna Fail and Fine Gael have blood on their hands, the blood of innocent children, old women and countless innocent protestant civilians.

Michaél Martin is the Taoiseach. He should be the one to condemn the savagery that was committed

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

paulaa wrote: »
    Michaél Martin is the Taoiseach. He should be the one to condemn the savagery that was committed

Míchael's a bit bland. Leo's easier to shout about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

endacl wrote: »
    Míchael's a bit bland. Leo's easier to shout about.

He may be bland but it's his job

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

FF and FG didnt exist in 1921. How do they have the blood of this woman on their hands?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Who cares, good enough for them if they were Informers . If it wasn't for these "butchers" we'd still be under British rule.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 339 ✭✭guy2231

FF and FG didnt exist in 1921. How do they have the blood of this woman on their hands?

Do I really have to answer this?

Who cares, good enough for them if they were Informers . If it wasn't for these "butchers" we'd still be under British rule.

Their only crime was reporting to the police of criminal activity being commited in their area.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Do I really have to answer this?

It was 100 years ago. No one alive today has anything to be sorry about.

Terrible things happened in the past shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Munsterlad102

Oh shut up. It was a war that was fought 100 years ago, your whining and virtue signaling isn't going to solve anything. Those two people are dead and gone and you're not going to bring them back. Micheál Martin is the Taoiseach, not Varadkar so go and get your facts straight. Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael didn't exist back then, so how can they have blood on their hands? The very nature of war is that people have to die, how do you expect one army to deal with collaborators? Seriously? You have those men to thank for our freedom, Irish freedom but then again with your lack of knowledge you're probably not even Irish, in which case, why do you care?

Oh shut up. It was a war that was fought 100 years ago, your whining and virtue signaling isn't going to solve anything. Those two people are dead and gone and you're not going to bring them back. Micheál Martin is the Taoiseach, not Varadkar so go and get your facts straight. Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael didn't exist back then, so how can they have blood on their hands? The very nature of war is that people have to die, how do you expect one army to deal with collaborators? Seriously? You have those men to thank for our freedom, Irish freedom but then again with your lack of knowledge you're probably not even Irish, in which case, why do you care?

Michael Martin or Varadkar, it does not matter which one, they are both heads of the parties who came from this IRA gang they have had many serving sectarian butchers in their party like Frank Aiken who was Minister for Finance in the Republic of Ireland despite ordering the Altnaveigh massacre of six innocent protestant civilians for no reason apart from their religion.

These are the kind of thugs who created these parties, when will we ever get justice for all the disappeared?

• Advertisement

My direct ancestors were possibly involved in this, both sides of my family served in the Volunteers in that area.

Should I feel guilty? I don't feel guilty.

My direct ancestors were possibly involved in this, both sides of my family served in the Volunteers in that area.

I don't expect you to feel guilty I expect you to feel shame.

That moment when you realise your thread isn't going quite how you'd hoped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭Allinall

Michael Martin or Varadkar, it does not matter which one, they are both heads of the parties who came from this IRA gang they have had many serving sectarian butchers in their party like Frank Aiken who was Minister for Finance in the Republic of Ireland despite ordering the Altnaveigh massacre of six innocent protestant civilians for no reason apart from their religion.

These are the kind of thugs who created these parties.

OP. You called for Varadkar to come out and condemn the actions of the old IRA.

Can I ask what difference this would make to you, me or anyone else?

I don't expect you to feel guilty I expect you to feel shame.

I don't. I feel proud of them. I would have been honoured to achieve what they did.

I don't. I feel proud of them. I would have been honoured to achieve what they did.

Well then I'm sure there are plently of elderly women in your area if you would like to follow in their footsteps, plenty of innocent protestants around up north as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,384 ✭✭✭droidman123

And no other army in the world shot informers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

He might be thinking of, perhaps, in the next few weeks, maybe making a decision on whether to condemn it.

And no other army in the world shot informers

She was not an informer, she was an elderly woman doing her national duty of reporting crime to the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not sure what this posturing is good for.
    She did inform on the IRA, what did she expect to happen?

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    Not sure what this posturing is good for.
    She did inform on the IRA, what did she expect to happen?

What was the crime being committed?
    That was meant for the op

Well then I'm sure there are plently of elderly women in your area if you would like to follow in their footsteps, plenty of innocent protestants around up north as well.

Why would I do that? We're not at war.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭corner of hells

If you go back a little further, you'll probably find your family were leprechauns and theres a pot of gold somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Fairly poor attempt OP, must try harder.

These are the kind of thugs who created these parties, when will we ever get justice for all the disappeared?

It does matter which one, and you clearly haven't a clue what you're talking about. Tell me, if you're so concerned about deaths in a war 100 years ago, then why aren't you condemning the actions of Unionists? Or even better, why aren't you condemning Maggie Thatcher for arming Unionist death squads during the Troubles? It's almost as if you have a bias against Irish Nationalists.
    You still refuse to answer me, what do you expect the men to have done when they found out about collaboraters giving away their positions etc? Do us all a favour, shut up about things you know nothing about and go back to whatever Unionist board you came from.

If you go back a little further, you'll probably find your family were leprechauns and theres a pot of gold somewhere.

I don't care whether you believe me or not.

She was not an informer, she was an elderly woman doing her national duty of reporting crime to the police.

That's literally the same as informing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Surely the OP is on the wind up. Nobody can be that clueless about the War of Independence.......can they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Their only crime was reporting to the police of criminal activity being commited in their area.

The only criminal activity been committed in the area was by the brits ... I think you're trolling anyway

• Advertisement

If indeed that micheal martin does condem what happened well boris johnson better bring a sleeping bag with him to westminster, because it would take him a long time to appologise for the savagery,as you put it,that the british committed in their past.

Advertisement