Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview and Freesat TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Ladder22

With 2020 around the corner, has anything moved on from 2018 when the OP’s asked their question?

Has anyone found a decent saorview/freesat telly -

Saorview and Freesat tuners
    7 Day EPG
    Simultaneous watch and record across both tuners
    Minimum fuss switching
    Smart features
    Mid range price

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭deezell

Ladder22 wrote: »
    With 2020 around the corner, has anything moved on from 2018 when the OP’s asked their question?

Has anyone found a decent saorview/freesat telly -

Saorview and Freesat tuners
    7 Day EPG
    Simultaneous watch and record across both tuners
    Minimum fuss switching
    Smart features
    Mid range price

Cheers
    Can't say if any set has a way of combining sat and saorview in one 7 day epg, other than certain set top boxes. If anything, it got worse, as the Samsung updates mentioned above prevented having saorview epg on the terrestrial and freesat epg on the satellite, even with all the button presses. So far my 2017 Qled hasn't updated against my wishes and settings.
    As for value, the latest Samsung Q6 55" Qled which cost about €1400 here in 2017, can now be had for €849 in Hardly Normals. Here;
    https://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/hd-tvs/all-tvs/samsung-55-4k-qled-hdr-smart-tv-qe55q60ratxxu.html

For anyone still pulling hair out with this, I noticed an odd thing today on my now 3 yr old Samsung Qled. When switching back from satellite tuner to terrestrial, and then pressing home to select Netflix, I noticed the last watched history bar showed the freesat channels. When on terrestrial, it normally only shows last watched terrestrial. I put the cursor on BBC1, RTE playing away in the background (Operation Fat-shame-nation). One press, and BBC1 one reappeared. The reverse doesn't hold true, yet. When on satellite, last watched ribbon bar list is sat only. The point is though, the set can recognise a change of tuner in about three presses. Home, up, enter. How did this suddenly appear?. Its not mixed, no terrestrial mixed with sat channels, though years ago I had TV3 on the list mixed with say channels, and a press brought it back to terrestrial. It never happened again though. Why can't they mix this history bar. Surely it doesn't breach freesat rules, its just channel names.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭ei9go

LG is the easiest to use.
    They have a quick access menu which is like speedial on a phone.
    You can access this menu with long press on zero button.
    You set up a long press one for RTE1 and a long press 2 for BBC1 and then that is all that is required to switch between Aerial and Freesat.
    You must set up the country as UK and then edit the Saorview channel numbers to the correct order. Easy to do in the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I'm using a 2020 Samsung TV with a Freesat box. The Samsung remote controls the Freesat box. It's a decent setup to get the EPG for saorview and Freesat with one remote.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

McGaggs wrote: »
    I'm using a 2020 Samsung TV with a Freesat box. The Samsung remote controls the Freesat box. It's a decent setup to get the EPG for saorview and Freesat with one remote.

I have a 2012 Samsung with built in sat that has been upgraded to 2013 model by an add-on module that came with a small remote. This allows use of a 'History' function that allows selecting any previous station whether terrestrial or satellite. Just press the area that brings this up and select the station by scrolling across - works well.

Using the original remote requires more button presses that dialling Australia.

I'd forgotten how old it is.

ei9go wrote: »
    LG is the easiest to use.
    They have a quick access menu which is like speedial on a phone.
    You can access this menu with long press on zero button.
    You set up a long press one for RTE1 and a long press 2 for BBC1 and then that is all that is required to switch between Aerial and Freesat.
    You must set up the country as UK and then edit the Saorview channel numbers to the correct order. Easy to do in the menu.
    Luckily, the Freesat option in the tuner source list magically reappeared on the Samsung after I had reset the region to ROI. I had to change back as it seemed impossible to get an orderly Saorview list while the set was in UK region, and expecting terrestrial to be Feeview. So I was spared having to sort the 1000 channel Astra mess you get from a straight scan of satellite, as a Freesat scan wasn't available in region ROI.
    Anyone have experience of editing channel lists from Sony Android sets? Or any Android tv? Sony channel backups are in .xml format afaik, and Sony have a PC editor for this. I'm curious if its possible to create a mixed tuner favourites list, such is the power of android.

Quick update on this, a new Sony XH90 series with Android OS delivered in spades, both in mixed Epg and picture quality. Fantastic array of apps, and I have all the players working. An unexpected boost to my Samsung though, was the arrival of Samsung TV+ channels, loads of them, free, and they automatically appeared on my terrestrial EPG right after the radio channels. I was scrolling for RTE Gold, and to my surprise U seen this.

554125.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

deezell wrote: »
    Quick update on this, a new Sony XH90 series with Android OS delivered in spades, both in mixed Epg and picture quality. Fantastic array of apps, and I have all the players working. An unexpected boost to my Samsung though, was the arrival of Samsung TV+ channels, loads of them, free, and they automatically appeared on my terrestrial EPG right after the radio channels. I was scrolling for RTE Gold, and to my surprise U seen this.

554125.jpg

Are these extra channels through internet streaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭micks_address

They look like free to air satellite channels? I’ve a new Sony and have soarview connected but didn’t bother with satellite as have a combi box for that. How do you find the epg on the Sony with saorview and sat channels? Are they in one list or do you have to switch between lists? Also have you tried the recording feature to usb on the Sony? Does it do anything like series link?

Cheers,
    Mick

• Advertisement

Yes, if you have crap broadband you might not benefit. My Samsung is 3.5 years old, but I did nothing to get this, it all happened by itself. They appear on the guide just like normal TV channels. Samsung TV+ was originally UK only.

They look like free to air satellite channels? I’ve a new Sony and have soarview connected but didn’t bother with satellite as have a combi box for that. How do you find the epg on the Sony with saorview and sat channels? Are they in one list or do you have to switch between lists? Also have you tried the recording feature to usb on the Sony? Does it do anything like series link?

Cheers,
    Mick

This is a Samsung TV only service, its streamed. But integrated into the terrestrial EPG

The Sony EPG is exactly what I wanted, 7 day epg with terrestrial and sat mixed on a favourites list. Once you tune in Saorview, then Freesat (TV in UK region), its just a matter of making a personal list. You can voice command also, via Google, Alexa, etc. I've an Apple TV box, lots of free stuff on that, when I change the input to this box, the Sony remote immediately becomes the Apple box remote. So handy.
    I don't do recordings anymore, too much free series, RTE, VM. BBC, All4 players, plus I've a guest connection to son's Netflix. I'll never watch it all.

The Sony EPG is exactly what I wanted, 7 day epg with terrestrial and sat mixed on a favourites list. Once you tune in Saorview, then Freesat (TV in UK region), its just a matter of making a personal list. You can voice command also, via Google, Alexa, etc. I've an Apple TV box, lots of free stuff on that, when I change the input to this box, the Sony remote immediately becomes the Apple box remote. So handy.
    I don't do recordings anymore, too much free series, RTE, VM. BBC, All4 players, plus I've a guest connection to son's Netflix. I'll never watch it all.

cheers.. if you set the TV to UK region does it mess up Irish channel numbering?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Yes, if you have crap broadband you might not benefit. My Samsung is 3.5 years old, but I did nothing to get this, it all happened by itself. They appear on the guide just like normal TV channels. Samsung TV+ was originally UK only.

I have a 2020 Samsung TV, but I don't see this. Do I need to do a software update or something?

cheers.. if you set the TV to UK region does it mess up Irish channel numbering?
    Yes, but very easy to sort and renumber, but read this brilliant bodge to tune Sony terrestrial in roi location, then reset to UK for freesat.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117269552&postcount=84

I have a 2020 Samsung TV, but I don't see this. Do I need to do a software update or something?

I'll find out. It just appeared on mine. Maybe go to the apps icon and add an app. I'll have a look after the Europa league final, but here's some reading on it. It must be an app.
    https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/04/06/samsungs-tv-plus-service-is-now-available-in-12-countries-worldwide/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

They just appeared on mine about 2 weeks back. It must have been during one of its overnight updates. I have it set to update automagically but you can try a manual one if its available for your model.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭dougm1970

our tv a 2020 samsung model....65" 4k
    dont have any update available...and no samsung+ app....very curious what its like

dougm1970 wrote: »
    our tv a 2020 samsung model....65" 4k
    dont have any update available...and no samsung+ app....very curious what its like

From Techradar;
    "You can find the Samsung TV Plus app by turning on the television and heading to the Samsung TV Plus icon on the home screen – it should be on the far left, in a fixed position rather than mixed with the third-party apps."

• Advertisement

Here's an image of it in the app bar, with options for seeing the channels either in the guide or on the channel list, where it has it's own entry

554181.jpg

554182.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Are there any 32" versions available. A TV that has Sat/Terrestrial tuners. I'm not too worried about recording and EPG?
    This will be a TV for a spare room, I have a combi box in the main room.
    Another spec. would be for a powered USB port to supply a FIRE TV stick.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

The Mulk wrote: »
    Are there any 32" versions available. A TV that has Sat/Terrestrial tuners. I'm not too worried about recording and EPG?
    This will be a TV for a spare room, I have a combi box in the main room.
    Another spec. would be for a powered USB port to supply a FIRE TV stick.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Power City or DID websites should have that information

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Sony Bravial 55" oled 4k has twin sats and terrestrial but mad money but the quality of picture and the sound quality is unreel.
    Sat tuner nearly drove me mad as just as easy to hook a vu solo2 for 28.2 feeds and can record.
    Zgemma H7S has my twin foreign feeds and Saorview tuner

Tvs without sat tuners will be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

athlone573 wrote: »
    Power City or DID websites should have that information

Cheers, this looks like it has what i need.

https://powercity.ie/product/32LM6300

https://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-32LM6300PLA

I only need one of each tuner, i checked the specs and it has USB, although i'm not sure whether it will power a Fire TV stick. I'll put a twin socket behind the TV location just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭dougm1970

lg will tune freesat....big difference with that and free to air satellite tuner.

The Mulk wrote: »
    Cheers, this looks like it has what i need.

https://powercity.ie/product/32LM6300

https://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-32LM6300PLA

I only need one of each tuner, i checked the specs and it has USB, although i'm not sure whether it will power a Fire TV stick. I'll put a twin socket behind the TV location just in case.

Firestick requires 900mA, standard USB delivers 500mA. If the TV has a USB3 port or an HDD USB port with 900ma capacity, like this Sony, you should be able to use it.

554250.jpg

Also, a shorter higher ampere rated USB cable such as this will go some way to preventing insufficient power message.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074VN65YC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_Q758DH9AJN9G9V3RD9A0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

41YxFvr8kTL.jpg

greasepalm wrote: »
    Sony Bravial 55" oled 4k has twin sats and terrestrial but mad money but the quality of picture and the sound quality is unreel.
    Sat tuner nearly drove me mad as just as easy to hook a vu solo2 for 28.2 feeds and can record.
    Zgemma H7S has my twin foreign feeds and Saorview tuner

Tvs without sat tuners will be cheaper.

So you reckon the vu box still better than Sony tv with dual sat and saorview ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭greasepalm

My Vu Solo2 is a fixed twin sat box but old by todays standard and newer box

Newer box is a Zgemma H7s with twin sats and saorview and more available 2 year warranty.

When i went looking for a channel on the tv they were all over the place and took time to find it.

Enigma 2 boxes are handy as can run AutoBouquetMaker and have different sections.

I never searched for a Sony Editor for moving channels.

What i like is the 7 day epg on the box and auto channel movement feature.

Bonus thing is you can have internal hdd inside for recordings inside if needed and is always in use.

• Advertisement

greasepalm wrote: »
    My Vu Solo2 is a fixed twin sat box but old by todays standard and newer box

Newer box is a Zgemma H7s with twin sats and saorview and more available 2 year warranty.

When i went looking for a channel on the tv they were all over the place and took time to find it.

Enigma 2 boxes are handy as can run AutoBouquetMaker and have different sections.

I never searched for a Sony Editor for moving channels.

What i like is the 7 day epg on the box and auto channel movement feature.

Bonus thing is you can have internal hdd inside for recordings inside if needed and is always in use.

Thanks I’ve a a vu solo 4K but I’m wondering if I could make it redundant and just use the tv instead. We do record a bit which can still be done via the tv and usb I think

Advertisement