Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saorview and Freesat TV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 eoo1

Soarview and freesat can be switched with one button press on the two dual tuner LG’s I own. Both have webOS 3.5 so unsure about earlier webOS dual tuner LG displays.

When in Freesat mode, just long-press 1 (or any other number) on the remote number-pad on whatever channel you want/are currently viewing, in my case BBC1.
    In terrestrial mode just long press 2 on the whatever channel you want (RTE1 in my case).

So long pressing 1 goes to freesat, and long pressing 2 goes to terrestrial. It’s quick and easy.

There isn’t a combined EPG, but both EPG’s are 7 day with scheduled recording. Series link works for Freesat but not terrestial unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

eoo1 wrote: »
    Soarview and freesat can be switched with one button press on the two dual tuner LG’s I own. Both have webOS 3.5 so unsure about earlier webOS dual tuner LG displays.

When in Freesat mode, just long-press 1 (or any other number) on the remote number-pad on whatever channel you want/are currently viewing, in my case BBC1.
    In terrestrial mode just long press 2 on the whatever channel you want (RTE1 in my case).

So long pressing 1 goes to freesat, and long pressing 2 goes to terrestrial. It’s quick and easy.

There isn’t a combined EPG, but both EPG’s are 7 day with scheduled recording. Series link works for Freesat but not terrestial unfortunately.

Unfortunately LG don't make Twin Tuner TVs so you can't watch one channel while recording another

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭deezell

Unfortunately LG don't make Twin Tuner TVs so you can't watch one channel while recording another

Samsung do, but record/ watch have to both be satellite. No sat/ terrestrial record/watch, which is bread and butter to combi sat terrestrial boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 eoo1

They do though, namely the LG signature range OLED's, The W7, E7 and G7 OLEDS. My B7 and UJ651V don't have twin tuners unfortunately.

eoo1 wrote: »
    They do though, namely the LG signature range OLED's, The W7, E7 and G7 OLEDS. My B7 and UJ651V don't have twin tuners unfortunately.

Apologies I stand corrected. Only LG's top tier OLED TVs have twin tuners

They were always out of my price range so never looked at them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

If I set my Samsung tv location to UK and tune in freesat, there is no option to switch to terrestrial in channel list.

Is this normal or am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Simi

spix wrote: »
    If I set my Samsung tv location to UK and tune in freesat, there is no option to switch to terrestrial in channel list.

Is this normal or am I missing something?

Did you tune in the terrestrial channels? You need to do that first.

This thread is ancient, but the procedure is basically still the same https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057132237

Simi wrote: »
    Did you tune in the terrestrial channels? You need to do that first

First I set my location to Ireland, tuned in saorview. With that I can change to satellite in channel list but this is a jumbled mess of channels.

After changing location to UK, tuned in freesat. But then can only switch between freesat/satellite in channel list.

First I set my location to Ireland, tuned in saorview. With that I can change to satellite in channel list but this is a jumbled mess of channels.

After changing location to UK, tuned in freesat. But then can only switch between freesat/satellite in channel list.

You should be able to tune in freeview, UK terrestrial, which will give you the saorview channels is a mess numbered from 900 or the like. I changed my location back to Ireland, then tuned in the terrestrial tuner with proper saorview listing. I still had the option to switch to satellite to the unsorted day channels with no 7 day epg, but remarkably, the freesat item appeared in the tuner list, so now I can switch between the saorview sorted terrestrial, the UK sorted Freesat with 7 day epg, and the unsorted satellite for the few channels which are missing from Freesat epg. ( ch4 HD). Quite how I got this to work I'm not sure, but I started in UK and saved off all lists. I rebooted back to Ireland and at some stage while messing with satellite tuning Freesat appeared.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The TV is set to one country. If it is UK then you can get: Freesat; Freeview; FTA Sat. If it set to Ireland then you can get: Saorview; FTA Sat. Setting a TV to a different country clears the memory so you have to re-tune all the channels, both satellite and terrestrial.

There is no easy way to do this and the particular method depends on what you wish to achieve.

Set the TV to UK, and use a UK post code. SW1A 1AA for London, or BT1 1AA for NI. Tune in Freesat. Change aerial to Air. Tune in Saorview channels. These will all appear in the 800s in random order. Spend a few hours reordering them as you prefer.

Alternatively, tune in Saorview (aerial=Air) which will work without bother and then tune in the FTA satellite and spend a few hours reordering and deleting the channels.

Good luck.

My set is a Samsung also, And while it is a PITA to change tuners, (11 button presses), I'm more than happy that the Freesat Menu item popped up after I had returned location to Ireland. I had made a few unsuccessful attempts to restore the channel list saved in UK location when back In Irl location. I was switching from Terrestrial to the Satellite when lo and behold the word Freesat was in the list. Happy days. I wonder can I now save this channel backup and use to restore? I just left well enough alone.

The TV is set to one country. If it is UK then you can get: Freesat; Freeview; FTA Sat. If it set to Ireland then you can get: Saorview; FTA Sat. Setting a TV to a different country clears the memory so you have to re-tune all the channels, both satellite and terrestrial.

There is no easy way to do this and the particular method depends on what you wish to achieve.

Set the TV to UK, and use a UK post code. SW1A 1AA for London, or BT1 1AA for NI. Tune in Freesat. Change aerial to Air. Tune in Saorview channels. These will all appear in the 800s in random order. Spend a few hours reordering them as you prefer.

Alternatively, tune in Saorview (aerial=Air) which will work without bother and then tune in the FTA satellite and spend a few hours reordering and deleting the channels.

Good luck.

I understand up to " Change aerial to Air."

deezell wrote: »
    My set is a Samsung also, And while it is a PITA to change tuners, (11 button presses), I'm more than happy that the Freesat Menu item popped up after I had returned location to Ireland. I had made a few unsuccessful attempts to restore the channel list saved in UK location when back In Irl location. I was switching from Terrestrial to the Satellite when lo and behold the word Freesat was in the list. Happy days. I wonder can I now save this channel backup and use to restore? I just left well enough alone.

Did freesat show up from the get go after you changed location to Ireland or was it sometime after it just randomly showed up?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I understand up to " Change aerial to Air."

On the Samsung I have [**ES7000 with the evolution upgrade] I go to the following sequence. The sequence may be different for later TVs.

Menu - Broadcasting - Aerial . The is then a choice between
    Air - Cable - Satellite - Freesat

If you choose Air you get Saorview. If you choose Freesat, you get Freesat.

To tune in the channels, you go:

Menu - Broadcasting - Autotune.

Hope that helps.

On the Samsung I have [**ES7000 with the evolution upgrade] I go to the following sequence. The sequence may be different for later TVs.

Menu - Broadcasting - Aerial . The is then a choice between
    Air - Cable - Satellite - Freesat

If you choose Air you get Saorview. If you choose Freesat, you get Freesat.

To tune in the channels, you go:

Menu - Broadcasting - Autotune.

Hope that helps.

My TV has no such option for selecting 'aerial' type under broadcasting. Only after starting auto tune or in channel list can anything be changed. its a 2016 model on latest firmware

• Advertisement

My TV has no such option for selecting 'aerial' type under broadcasting. Only after starting auto tune or in channel list can anything be changed. its a 2016 model on latest firmware

What model do you have, and I will try and help.

Did freesat show up from the get go after you changed location to Ireland or was it sometime after it just randomly showed up?

I had started in Irl, tuned Saorview and Fta sat. I then changed to UK, Freesat and unsorted terrestrial with channel numbers all over the shop which defied editing. Rte1 has to be on one, so I returned to Irl location, imported the previous tunings, and when trying to sort the FTA satellite scan the Freesat list appeared. I must have done something different, but I'm not about to factory reset and try again. No BBC iPlayer, but I can live with that.

No BBC iPlayer, but I can live with that.

You have to move the TV to the UK to get BBC iPlayer. It is Geo blocked.

What model do you have, and I will try and help.

ue40ku6470 http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE40KU6470UXXU

You have to move the TV to the UK to get BBC iPlayer. It is Geo blocked.
    Yes, it takes more than changing the TV. There are a number of ways to get around geo blocking. I mention iPlayer as the Beeb have been testing 4k sport on it, and with the world cup in a few weeks.....

• Advertisement

I also have a 2016 Samsung TV

To switch between Terrestrial (Saorview) and Freesat, I press the following buttons...

Ch List (which is between Vol and Ch buttons)
    Right
    Down 3 times
    Ok (middle button where up, down, left, right are)
    Up or Down depending on which you want (Terrestrial or Freesat)
    Ok
    And finally Ok again

Job done. 9 button presses in total

I have the Saorview channels which appear in the 800's because the TV is in UK mode, set up as Favouties and you can order them RTE One, RTE2, TV3 etc in that order

To switch between Terrestrial (Saorview) and Freesat, I press the following buttons...

Right
    Down 3 times
    Ok
    And finally Ok again

I have the Saorview channels which appear in the 800's because the TV is in UK mode, set up as Favouties and you can order them RTE One, RTE2, TV3 etc in that order

I've to up or down twice sometimes as I've Satellite, Freesat and Terrestrial, and I've to exit twice otherwise the smart interface stays on screen for an age. 9, 11, still a pita.

Right
    Down 3 times
    Ok
    And finally Ok again

With the TV set to UK and freesat tuned in, when I go to

" Up or Down depending on which you want (Terrestrial or Freesat)"

I can only choose between Terrestrial or Satellite, freesat is not an option.

With the TV set to UK and freesat tuned in, when I go to

" Up or Down depending on which you want (Terrestrial or Freesat)"

I can only choose between Terrestrial or Satellite, freesat is not an option.

Where you prompted with a Postcode option when u set up the TV

You need one. I use W1A for London, if you want NI use BT36

I've to up or down twice sometimes as I've Satellite, Freesat and Terrestrial, and I've to exit twice otherwise the smart interface stays on screen for an age. 9, 11, still a pita.

But if u press OK rather than exit, when the option has changed, then u don't need to hit exit twice

So I left the tv as it was for a while (Region set to Ireland with saorview tuned in) and after checking a few hours later now Freesat is showing up in channel list. It's not exactly the same as when Region is set to UK as ITV/Channel 4 are in the 900's and for some reason bbc2 is the first channel instead of bbc1 but it'll do :-)

So I left the tv as it was for a while (Region set to Ireland with saorview tuned in) and after checking a few hours later now Freesat is showing up in channel list. It's not exactly the same as when Region is set to UK as ITV/Channel 4 are in the 900's and for some reason bbc2 is the first channel instead of bbc1 but it'll do :-)
    On Freesat, 101 is BBC One SD, 102 BBC Two HD, 103 ITV SD etc
    https://www.freesat.co.uk/tv-guide/

I know, however the self appearing freesat with region set to Ireland has the channels listed a bit differently. The first 3 channels are 102 BBC Two HD, 105 Channel 5 HD, 106 BBC One HD

I know, however the self appearing freesat with region set to Ireland has the channels listed a bit differently. The first 3 channels are 102 BBC Two HD, 105 Channel 5 HD, 106 BBC One HD

That's technically the Free to air mode (Satellite) rather than Freesat

That's technically the Free to air mode (Satellite) rather than Freesat

There is also another option for Satellite. There was 2 before and after leaving it for a while now its Terrestrial,Satellite,Freesat. It has the Freesat logo, epg and all the other channels. Just the first few channels are a bit disorganized.

• Advertisement

There is also another option for Satellite. There was 2 before and after leaving it for a while now its Terrestrial,Satellite,Freesat. It has the Freesat logo, epg and all the other channels. Just the first few channels are a bit disorganized.
    Also on mine, it has all the sub categories, childrens, movies etc. This extra menu item appeared when Freesat appeared.

Your freesat is accurate because your TV is set to UK. Mine is Ireland so soarview numbers are correct. Can't have both being accurate I suppose.

The Aerial menu with location set to Irl.

452212.jpg

The Genre option is available on Freesat

452213.jpg

My channel list is correct, except Itv HD and ch4 HD are not to the fore.

452214.jpg

That's a 2017 tv right? (white menu)

Where do you bring up the genre tab from? I can only see it in the epg itself.

My Freesat channel list now looks exactly like yours, its changed itself since yesterday, very odd.

The Aerial menu with location set to Irl.

Yes, 2017 QLED. The Genre symbol appears between the little heart symbol and the lines symbol on the last image, 2 little theatre masks symbol.

It takes a short while to appear. It's not in that image.
    Here it is.

452525.jpg

So my stupid samsung tv decided to auto update and ruined the saorview/freesat working both at same time. Is there a known workaround for the newer firmwares?

Is it possible to prevent auto update?.

• Advertisement

Is it possible to prevent auto update?.

I guess the only way is not having tv connected to internet since I've just read many reports that samsung are forcing updates even if you have auto updates disabled

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Ladder22

With 2020 around the corner, has anything moved on from 2018 when the OP’s asked their question?

Has anyone found a decent saorview/freesat telly -

Saorview and Freesat tuners
    7 Day EPG
    Simultaneous watch and record across both tuners
    Minimum fuss switching
    Smart features
    Mid range price

Cheers

Ladder22 wrote: »
    With 2020 around the corner, has anything moved on from 2018 when the OP’s asked their question?

Has anyone found a decent saorview/freesat telly -

Saorview and Freesat tuners
    7 Day EPG
    Simultaneous watch and record across both tuners
    Minimum fuss switching
    Smart features
    Mid range price

Cheers
    Can't say if any set has a way of combining sat and saorview in one 7 day epg, other than certain set top boxes. If anything, it got worse, as the Samsung updates mentioned above prevented having saorview epg on the terrestrial and freesat epg on the satellite, even with all the button presses. So far my 2017 Qled hasn't updated against my wishes and settings.
    As for value, the latest Samsung Q6 55" Qled which cost about €1400 here in 2017, can now be had for €849 in Hardly Normals. Here;
    https://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/hd-tvs/all-tvs/samsung-55-4k-qled-hdr-smart-tv-qe55q60ratxxu.html

For anyone still pulling hair out with this, I noticed an odd thing today on my now 3 yr old Samsung Qled. When switching back from satellite tuner to terrestrial, and then pressing home to select Netflix, I noticed the last watched history bar showed the freesat channels. When on terrestrial, it normally only shows last watched terrestrial. I put the cursor on BBC1, RTE playing away in the background (Operation Fat-shame-nation). One press, and BBC1 one reappeared. The reverse doesn't hold true, yet. When on satellite, last watched ribbon bar list is sat only. The point is though, the set can recognise a change of tuner in about three presses. Home, up, enter. How did this suddenly appear?. Its not mixed, no terrestrial mixed with sat channels, though years ago I had TV3 on the list mixed with say channels, and a press brought it back to terrestrial. It never happened again though. Why can't they mix this history bar. Surely it doesn't breach freesat rules, its just channel names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭ei9go

LG is the easiest to use.
    They have a quick access menu which is like speedial on a phone.
    You can access this menu with long press on zero button.
    You set up a long press one for RTE1 and a long press 2 for BBC1 and then that is all that is required to switch between Aerial and Freesat.
    You must set up the country as UK and then edit the Saorview channel numbers to the correct order. Easy to do in the menu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I'm using a 2020 Samsung TV with a Freesat box. The Samsung remote controls the Freesat box. It's a decent setup to get the EPG for saorview and Freesat with one remote.

• Advertisement

McGaggs wrote: »
    I'm using a 2020 Samsung TV with a Freesat box. The Samsung remote controls the Freesat box. It's a decent setup to get the EPG for saorview and Freesat with one remote.

I have a 2012 Samsung with built in sat that has been upgraded to 2013 model by an add-on module that came with a small remote. This allows use of a 'History' function that allows selecting any previous station whether terrestrial or satellite. Just press the area that brings this up and select the station by scrolling across - works well.

Using the original remote requires more button presses that dialling Australia.

I'd forgotten how old it is.

ei9go wrote: »
    LG is the easiest to use.
    They have a quick access menu which is like speedial on a phone.
    You can access this menu with long press on zero button.
    You set up a long press one for RTE1 and a long press 2 for BBC1 and then that is all that is required to switch between Aerial and Freesat.
    You must set up the country as UK and then edit the Saorview channel numbers to the correct order. Easy to do in the menu.
    Luckily, the Freesat option in the tuner source list magically reappeared on the Samsung after I had reset the region to ROI. I had to change back as it seemed impossible to get an orderly Saorview list while the set was in UK region, and expecting terrestrial to be Feeview. So I was spared having to sort the 1000 channel Astra mess you get from a straight scan of satellite, as a Freesat scan wasn't available in region ROI.
    Anyone have experience of editing channel lists from Sony Android sets? Or any Android tv? Sony channel backups are in .xml format afaik, and Sony have a PC editor for this. I'm curious if its possible to create a mixed tuner favourites list, such is the power of android.

Quick update on this, a new Sony XH90 series with Android OS delivered in spades, both in mixed Epg and picture quality. Fantastic array of apps, and I have all the players working. An unexpected boost to my Samsung though, was the arrival of Samsung TV+ channels, loads of them, free, and they automatically appeared on my terrestrial EPG right after the radio channels. I was scrolling for RTE Gold, and to my surprise U seen this.

554125.jpg

Quick update on this, a new Sony XH90 series with Android OS delivered in spades, both in mixed Epg and picture quality. Fantastic array of apps, and I have all the players working. An unexpected boost to my Samsung though, was the arrival of Samsung TV+ channels, loads of them, free, and they automatically appeared on my terrestrial EPG right after the radio channels. I was scrolling for RTE Gold, and to my surprise U seen this.

554125.jpg

Are these extra channels through internet streaming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭micks_address

Are these extra channels through internet streaming?

They look like free to air satellite channels? I’ve a new Sony and have soarview connected but didn’t bother with satellite as have a combi box for that. How do you find the epg on the Sony with saorview and sat channels? Are they in one list or do you have to switch between lists? Also have you tried the recording feature to usb on the Sony? Does it do anything like series link?

Cheers,
    Mick

• Advertisement
Advertisement